SHOPPING ONLINE? Please, come here first!
Your support is important. Thanks in advance.
To donate monthly via Continue To Give use your phone's camera to activate the Q code or text 4827563 to 715-803-4772 (US) for a link.
For Zelle and Chase, etc., use
frz AT wdtprs DOT com.
About this blog…
“This blog is like a fusion of the Baroque ‘salon’ with its well-tuned harpsichord around which polite society gathered for entertainment and edification and, on the other hand, a Wild West “saloon” with its out-of-tune piano and swinging doors, where everyone has a gun and something to say. Nevertheless, we try to point our discussions back to what it is to be Catholic in this increasingly difficult age, to love God, and how to get to heaven.” – Fr. Z
Coat of Arms by D Burkart
“I’m Fr. Z and I warmly endorse this message!”
Wonderful about St. Joseph! “Terror of Demons”
ABORTION PILL RESCUE NETWORK
- The most evident mark of God’s anger and the most terrible castigation He can inflict upon the world are manifested when He permits His people to fall into the hands of clerics who are priests more in name than in deed, priests who practice the cruelty of ravening wolves rather than the charity and affection of devoted shepherds.
St. John Eudes
I am delighted to have been approved as an affiliate of Chess.com and House of Staunton.
Use FATHERZ10 at checkout for 10% off
Donate using VENMO
GREAT BEER from Traditional Benedictine Monks in Italy
CLICK and say your daily offerings!
Do you want to show some appreciation?
Do you have a faithful Catholic website that needs competent and reliable tech support?
NEW OPPORTUNITY – 10% off with code: FATHERZ10
Fr. Z’s VOICEMAIL
Nota bene: I do not answer these numbers or this Skype address. You won't get me "live". I check for messages regularly.
020 8133 4535
YOUR RECENT COMMENTS
- Fr. John Zuhlsdorf on Daily Rome Shot 701: “Synon… That’s great news! Would that more parishes had that going on. It takes people out of their screens and…”
- TheBackPew on FOR SALE: “$180,000 US. How much would it cost to disassemble and relocate? The granite alone is worth $180K”
- Fr. John Zuhlsdorf on Daily Rome Shot 699: “White to move. What to do? 1. Rh4+ Kxh4 2. Qxh6+ Qh5 3. Qf4+ Qg4 4. Qxg4#”
- Synonymous_Howard on Daily Rome Shot 701: “Fr Z, I thought you would be heartened to know that chess is alive and well with the next generation…”
- Synonymous_Howard on Daily Rome Shot 699: “This one was tough for me. Had to find the right first move. 1. Rh4+ Kxh4 2. Qxh6+ Qh5 3.…”
- L. on LENTCAzT 2023 – 34: Monday Passiontide – Repent and live!: “Our high-school CCD class was helping with a Christmas program, I think it was. I had the reading, which was…”
- JonPatrick on MUST READ! Why do heretics remain in the Church instead of just being honest and getting out?: “I think part of the reason for the optimism is our modern concept of Progress – the saying we often…”
- JonPatrick on POLL: Covering images for Passiontide, 5th Sunday of Lent – 2023: “Traveling so I don’t know what my home parish is doing, but the church I attended yesterday St. Mary Broadway…”
- Ms. M-S on LENTCAzT 2023 – 34: Monday Passiontide – Repent and live!: “Thanks, Father Z. I don’t think anyone would argue that most of us live willingly or unwillingly in Nineva and…”
- Imrahil on POLL: Covering images for Passiontide, 5th Sunday of Lent – 2023: “Dear lfandrew, that was a general comment, obviously. The solution for this year would have been easy, but obviously it’d…”
- Imrahil on POLL: Covering images for Passiontide, 5th Sunday of Lent – 2023: “Dear lfandrew, I’m not saying that was entirely wrong. But for the two reasons that 1. the veiling especially does…”
- Imrahil on POLL: Covering images for Passiontide, 5th Sunday of Lent – 2023: “In the parish (and our FSSP apostolate does mutatis mutandis the exact same thing, but it’s easier to describe for…”
- PostCatholic on Zoink!: “I wondered about the candle, Fr. Theodoxos, and also the crosier detail to the hearth screen.”
- TonyO on POLL: Covering images for Passiontide, 5th Sunday of Lent – 2023: “I kind of understand why our dear Fr. Z put in the last option to vote for: my church has…”
- mrs wu on Zoink!: “https://www.wga.hu/art/l/lotto/5/06annun1.jpg Lorenzo Lotto’s Annunciation, because….cat. Also, her face! Imagine what went through her mind as she knew what was asked…”
Books which you must have.
This REALLY helps! And it’s great coffee (and tea)
I use this when I travel both in these USA and abroad. Very useful. Fast enough for Zoom. I connect my DMR (ham radio) through it. If you use my link, they give me more data. A GREAT back up.
Don’t rely on popes, bishops and priests.
“He [Satan] will set up a counter-Church which will be the ape of the Church because, he the devil, is the ape of God. It will have all the notes and characteristics of the Church, but in reverse and emptied of its divine content. It will be a mystical body of the anti-Christ that will in all externals resemble the mystical body of Christ. In desperate need for God, whom he nevertheless refuses to adore, modern man in his loneliness and frustration will hunger more and more for membership in a community that will give him enlargement of purpose, but at the cost of losing himself in some vague collectivity.”
“Who is going to save our Church? Not our bishops, not our priests and religious. It is up to you, the people. You have the minds, the eyes, and the ears to save the Church. Your mission is to see that your priests act like priests, your bishops act like bishops.”
- Fulton Sheen
Therefore, ACTIVATE YOUR CONFIRMATION and get to work!
Send Snail Mail to Fr. ZFr John Zuhlsdorf
Tridentine Mass Society of Madison
733 Struck St.
PO BOX 44603
Madison, WI 53744-4603
For email HERE
- “The modern habit of doing ceremonial things unceremoniously is no proof of humility; rather it proves the offender's inability to forget himself in the rite, and his readiness to spoil for every one else the proper pleasure of ritual.”
- C.S. Lewis
This blog has to earn its keep!
PLEASE subscribe via PayPal if it is useful.
That way I have steady income I can plan on, and you wind up regularly on my list of benefactors for whom I pray and for whom I periodically say Holy Mass.
In view of the rapidly changing challenges I now face, I would like to add more $10/month subscribers. Will you please help?
For a one time donation...
As for Latin…
"But if, in any layman who is indeed imbued with literature, ignorance of the Latin language, which we can truly call the 'catholic' language, indicates a certain sluggishness in his love toward the Church, how much more fitting it is that each and every cleric should be adequately practiced and skilled in that language!" - Pius XI
"Let us realize that this remark of Cicero (Brutus 37, 140) can be in a certain way referred to [young lay people]: 'It is not so much a matter of distinction to know Latin as it is disgraceful not to know it.'" - St. John Paul II
- Your Sunday Sermon Notes – 1st Passion Sunday (5th Lent) 2023 and a POLL about veiled images
- Daily Rome Shot 702
- FOR SALE
- LENTCAzT 2023 – 34: Monday Passiontide – Repent and live!
- POLL: Covering images for Passiontide, 5th Sunday of Lent – 2023
- WDTPRS – 5th Sunday of Lent: Liturgical death throes
- Daily Rome Shot 701
- LENTCAzT 2023 – 33: 1st Passion Sunday – Passiontide begins
- LENTCAzT 2023 – 32: Saturday 4th Week – Annunciation
- MUST READ! Why do heretics remain in the Church instead of just being honest and getting out?
- Daily Rome Shot 700
- “Only what is true can ultimately be pastoral”.
- 24 March – Feast of St. Gabriel, Archangel – images
- From “The Private Diary of Bishop F. Atticus McButterpants” – 23-03-24 – Priests retirement home
- Daily Rome Shot 699
- LENTCAzT 2023 – 31: Friday 4th Week – Dead but rising
- Daily Rome Shot 698
- Pig hearts over altars in Austria, pagan Mayan Mass rite in Mexico, but people who want the Traditional Latin Mass must be ghettoized and railroaded to oblivion.
- LENTCAzT 2023 – 30: Thursday 4th Week – Eternal death and YOU – CORRECTED
- LENTCAzT 2023 – 29: The Ancient Mid-Point
- Daily Rome Shot 697
- VIDEO: Glimpses of Forty Hours
- From “The Private Diary of Bishop F. Atticus McButterpants” – 23-03-21 – Troubled seminarian
- Priests saying STUPID THINGS in the confessional… again
- Daily Rome Shot 696
- LENTCAzT 2023 – 28: Tuesday 4th Week – “What abundance! What generosity!”
- Happy AEQUINOCTIUM!
- Daily Rome Shot 695
- 19 March – Feast of St. Joseph – Hope of the sick, Patron of the dying, Terror of demons, Protector of Holy Church!
Let us pray…
Grant unto thy Church, we beseech Thee, O merciful God, that She, being gathered together by the Holy Ghost, may be in no wise troubled by attack from her foes. O God, who by sin art offended and by penance pacified, mercifully regard the prayers of Thy people making supplication unto Thee,and turn away the scourges of Thine anger which we deserve for our sins. Almighty and Everlasting God, in whose Hand are the power and the government of every realm: look down upon and help the Christian people that the heathen nations who trust in the fierceness of their own might may be crushed by the power of thine Arm. Through our Lord Jesus Christ, Thy Son, who liveth and reigneth with Thee in the unity of the Holy Ghost, God, world without end. R. Amen.
Be a “Zed-Head”!
My "challenge coin" for my 25th anniversary of ordination in 2016.
Want one? I do exchanges with military and LEOs, etc.
PLEASE RESPOND. Pretty pleeeease?Loading ...
This is really useful when travelling… and also when you aren’t and you need backup internet NOW! I use this for my DMR “Zednet” hotspot when I’m mobile. It’s a ham radio thing.
If you travel internationally, this is a super useful gizmo for your mobile internet data. I use one. If you get one through my link, I get data rewards.
Please use my links when shopping! I depend on your help.
WDTPRS POLLLoading ...
Fr. Z’s stuff is everywhere
Help support Fr. Z’s Gospel of Life work at no cost to you. Do you need a Real Estate Agent? Calling these people is the FIRST thing you should do!
GREAT causes to support
Daily Archives: 3 November 2011
New Swiss Bishop for diocese where SSPX seminary is located
This is from Phil Lawler over at Catholic Culture: The Vatican announced one intriguing appointment yesterday. I hope that another significant appointment is announced tomorrow. Father Charles Morerod was named on November 3 to become Bishop of Lausanne, Switzerland. A … Read More
CNA: Bishops blast Catholic governor of Illinois’s role in abortion award ceremony
From CNA: Bishops blast Catholic governor’s role in abortion award ceremony By Benjamin Mann Springfield, Ill., Nov 3, 2011 / 05:59 am (CNA).- Illinois’ six Catholic bishops have deplored Catholic governor Pat Quinn’s role as the presenter of a “Pro-Choice … Read More
QUAERITUR: Requesting Mass in Latin in the Ordinary Form
From a reader: Can one use the provisions of Summorum Pontificum as the basis for requesting that an occasional OF Mass be said in Latin? I want to have all my ducks in a row (i.e. asking an organist and cantor … Read More
It seems diocesan bishops can ordain using the older rite of ordination after all!
Here is something that merits attention. As you might recall, the clarificatory document about Summorum Pontificum from the Pontifical Commission “Ecclesia Dei” entitled Universae Ecclesiae indicated that the Pontificale Romanum was to be used for ordinations only by those groups … Read More
A reader’s first “Requiem Mass”
From a reader: Having attended my first Requiem Mass yesterday I must say that I am absolutely shocked they got rid of it and replaced it with the current funeral Mass. Going to Mass last night and actually getting to … Read More
Question for seminarians
As we know, Universae Ecclesiae spoke to the need for Latin Church seminarians to know the Extraordinary Form. I would appreciate notes by email from seminarians about what is going on in their programs of formation. Use the CONTACT link … Read More
Comments Off on Question for seminarians
Your reports about your All Saints and All Souls Masses, indulgences
All Saints was a Holy Day of Obligation. All Souls is one of those days when people tend to flock to church even though it isn’t of precept. This is also a time when we can gain plenary indulgences. Let us … Read More
QUAERITUR: Before Mass ended the congregation blessed the priest
From a reader: On Priesthood Sunday just before Mass ended, the resident nun took to the ambo and asked the congregation to extend their hands to bless the priest. She then led a fairly lengthy blessing. My wife and I were uncomfortable with … Read More
Of Fishwrap and sandals
Sutor, ne ultra crepidam. Pliny the Elder related the tale of a cobbler who spotted in a painting errors in the depiction of sandals. He goes to the painter and points to the problems. The painter, grateful, makes corrections to … Read More
“I’m so proud of my priest for taking such an unpopular stand…”
From a reader: I just wanted to brag about my priest tonight. Fr. A has only been the rector here for 4 or 5 months, so he’s been pretty slow to change things since the previous rector was here for … Read More