Search Fr. Z’s Blog
CHRISTMAS SHOPPING? Please, always come here first!
Enter Amazon through my search box and I will get a small percentage of what you spend. (Pssst - Can't see the search box? Turn off your "ad-blocker" for this site!)
PS: I added an Amazon Search Box for the UK at the bottom of the blog page. Copy and paste titles I mention into those boxes and - BAZINGA! - results appear.
Here's a general, "catholic" search start point for Amazon US HERE - UK HERE
“This blog is like a fusion of the Baroque ‘salon’ with its well-tuned harpsichord around which polite society gathered for entertainment and edification and, on the other hand, a Wild West “saloon” with its out-of-tune piano and swinging doors, where everyone has a gun and something to say. Nevertheless, we try to point our discussions back to what it is to be Catholic in this increasingly difficult age, to love God, and how to get to heaven.” – Fr. Z
CLICK and say your Daily Offering!
Click daily and say this powerful prayer to St. Michael the Archangel in this time of chaos and spiritual warfare for the Church's integrity.
"We as Catholics have not properly combated (the culture) because we have not been taught our Catholic Faith, especially in the depth needed to address these grave evils of our time. This is a failure of catechesis both of children and young people that has been going on for fifty years. It is being addressed, but it needs much more radical attention... What has also contributed greatly to the situation is an exaltation of the virtue of tolerance which is falsely seen as the virtue which governs all other virtues. In other words, we should tolerate other people in their immoral actions to the extent that we seem also to accept the moral wrong. Tolerance is a virtue, but it is certainly not the principal virtue; the principal virtue is charity... Charity means speaking the truth. I have encountered it (not speaking the truth) many times myself as a priest and bishop. It is something we simply need to address. There is far too much silence — people do not want to talk about it because the topic is not 'politically correct.' But we cannot be silent any longer."
Raymond Card. Burke
Coat of Arms by D Burkart
“Procul, procul esto a sacro ordine novitatum amor: superbos et contumaces animos odit Deus!”
"Far, far from the clergy be the love of novelty! God hates the proud and the obstinate."
Pascendi Dominici gregis 49
1907 - Pope St Pius X
YOUR RECENT COMMENTS
- Gaz: We won’ t be having daily Masses in the parish church 26-29 December. However, daily Mass will continue in the Poor ClaresR 17; monastery. There are 12 Masses in the parish for 4th...
- Gaz: And of course they rite a mention in today̵ 7;s Sacred Liturgy.
- Fr_Andrew: I very much like the idea of the ‘Ror ate’ Mass, but have declined to do one because my reading of the 1960 rubrics don’ t seem to allow it. I’m a ‘...
- Marion Ancilla Mariae II: O Father, live forever!
- JesusFreak84: During March for Life during my second year of college, (this would̵ 7;ve been 2005,) I saw a black veil for sale in the shop at the Basilica there in DC and was promptly ordered...
- JesusFreak84: If the author has any kind of Orders, the paranoid nut in me fears those could be stripped. Or we could have a St. Joan of Arc-style excommunic ation that’ ;s naturally overtur...
- JesusFreak84: Honestly, it’s probably 60/40 between “Ble ss me” and “for give me.” Thanks to Aspergers, sometimes when speaking aloud I struggle to find a word so if...
- Pio Pio Pio: “Ecc lesia supplet 221;… ; we meet again. I remember the first time I heard this phrase almost exactly two years ago. My charismati c, hetero-pra xical parish was having...
- skjensen: How about, “Hav e children 8221;? There seems to be a deep fear about starting a family these days. And when married couples delay having children until their mid-30R 17;s,...
- excalibur: All we can hope, and pray for, is God’ s Mercy. No one knows the mindset at the hour of death of anyone. The Sabbath was made for man, not man for the Sabbath.
- Ave Crux: I was able to purchase the MP3 format album today from Amazon. At least this will provide some additional income. Will also make a donation. Interestin gly, I also saw that Amazon is...
- St. Irenaeus: They’ ;re album is up at AmazonR 11;in mp3 format at least̵ 1;if it’s the one from 2016: https://ww w.amazon.c om/Carolin g-Ephesus- Queen-Apos tles-Bened ictines...
- ChesterFrank: You mention communion services in a parish where the parish priest needs the occasional day off, and there is no priest to say the Mass. What about parishes where there is no parish...
- SaintJude6: As a mom to many, I haven̵ 7;t had a day off or been unreachabl e in almost 21 years. I’ll see your middle of the night calls to a sickbed with equally as frequent middle of...
- pjmpjm: One worthy Holy Communion is worth more than the whole visible universe. If a Communion service is licit according to canon and liturgical law, and you can receive our Divine Lord, without...
- Imrahil: On the contrary, I think a Communion service is a very good idea on any day where a priest cannot be had, excluding days that come unter a Sunday obligation (because one can’ t trust...
- padredana: I do not believe they are allowed in this particular situation. I believe they are only for cases of “nec essity, 221; and then only on Sundays in places where there is no...
- Semper Gumby: Interestin g post and chart, thanks Fr. Z. beelady: Just a suggestion , you may want to invite a dialogue rather than merely attempt to negate jaykayR 17;s helpful comment. As you...
- Atra Dicenda, Rubra Agenda: I think the public recitation of the rosary or one or more of the Hours by the interested laity would be a much better option than a Communion service.
- Deacon Nicholas: Bishop Ireland has a special place in the heart of Orthodox Americans for being so inhospitab le to many Eastern Rite Catholics that they (re)entere d the Orthodox Church.
- yatzer: The music, Heaven-cen tered architectu re, and the reverence of the priest at my parish got me going back to Mass. I had dropped out mostly in sync with the banality of everything and...
- Athelstan: St. Alphonsus is the only church in Baltimore that offers the traditiona l Latin Mass, [WHAT?!? That’s a crime!] Not only that, but it’s one of only two regular TLM’ s in the...
- Ipsitilla: Shouldn’t the title read, “TLM groups are growing in both kind and number,” Fr. Z?
- jameeka: Thank you, Father Z. Stellar!
- competent: Thank you!
Daily Archives: 9 November 2009
The US Catholic bishops asked their people to call their congressmen and urge them not to vote in favor of legislation that would have provided funding for abortion.
What would they think, I wonder, if the awakened and roused Catholic faithful … Continue reading
Gleened from the 270 e-mails I received in support of the approval of the new translation texts by the bishops in their upcoming meeting.
Click HERE for the main entry on this.
From your e-mail:
"I thoroughly support the reform of the liturgical … Continue reading
From The Catholic League:
November 4, 2009
“2012” KILLS CATHOLICS, SPARES MUSLIMS
Catholic League president Bill Donohue speaks to the way Catholics and Muslims are treated in the upcoming film, “2012”:
When we got word recently that the movie “2012” depicts the Vatican being … Continue reading
I had as usual a good time in NYC despite the unfortunate victory of a team to remain nameless.
Until next time, thanks to all the great folks I met on this trip.
Minneapolis and St Paul, my hometown.
I picked up from the young Papist that Cecile Richards – President of Planned Parenthood, the eugenics inspired organization originally intended to kill off black people – said in pages of Hell’s Bible that the US bishops are ideologues because … Continue reading
My friend John Allen, the fair-minded nearly ubiquitous columnist of the otherwise ultra-lefty fishwrap National Catholic Reporter, has an interesting piece about His Excellency Most Rev. Raymond Burke, Prefect of the Apostolic Signatura.
When Archbp. Burke was brought to Rome … Continue reading
The Apostolic Constitution which describes the provisions for traditionally minded Anglicans has finally been issued.
The first sentence:
In recent times the Holy Spirit has moved groups of Anglicans to petition repeatedly and insistently to be received into full Catholic communion … Continue reading