Of bishops, birds and shotguns

A reader alerted me to a blog post by His Excellency Most Rev. Paul D. Etienne, Bishop of Cheyenne in Wyoming. We have seen His Excellency before when he was with the gun-totin’ Mystic Monks, the Carmelites whose coffee I peddle.

Buy some coffee NOW. You need to refresh your coffee supply, don’t you?

Bp. Etienne hunts turkeys:

After what seemed like a long time, I thought the game was up, so I crawled to the edge to see what if anything was going on.  As luck would have it, there was a good group there, and of course, I “busted” them.  Game over.  However, they had crossed the stream, and started heading back in the direction I came from.

So, I got above them on a nice field, and moved as fast as I could to try to cut them off.  After a lengthy stretch, little did I know, the birds were still ahead of me.  As I came through a large section of brush, I saw something move off to my right, and there was a large group of Toms slowly feeding.  So, I picked the closest one. .  . now I’ll be feeding on him!

WDTPRS KUDOS to Bp. Etienne.

I will remind you that the excellent Wyoming Catholic College is in the confines the Diocese of Cheyenne.

Click HERE and go spike the bishop’s blog stats!

This entry was posted in Fr. Z KUDOS, Just Too Cool, Linking Back and tagged , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

12 Responses to Of bishops, birds and shotguns

1. AnAmericanMother says:

An extremely versatile bishop! Master of the shotgun as well as the rifle!

If he gets a couple of wheelguns, he can shoot Cowboy Action. We’d love to have him on the line (every Cowboy club needs a chaplain!)

2. heway says:

would love to have Bp.Wall of gallup keep such a blog for his sheep!
    Been following Bp. Etienne since he received the call to Cheyanne.

3. heway says:

Sorry about spelling – Cheyenne (it is my poor typing)

4. Maltese says:

“I thought the game was up”….”Game over,” fantastic! It’s good to know when you have a Bishop with a satchel-sack! I raise my glass to you!

As an aside, I’m an avid fly-fisherman. Wading in the sunny waters of the Pecos river in my Chacos, shooting lines up-stream in expectation; there is noting like it!

5. Adam Welp says:

The only thing that could have made His Excellency’s blog post more cool would have been if his biological brothers Frs. Bernie and Zach were hunting with him. I wonder if he was using the he received as an ordination gift from his brothers. Southern Indiana’s loss was the greater Church’s gain!

6. afanco says:

“Don’t cross the streams.”

7. Mariana says:

Great sport – spiking bishops’ blog stats : ) !

8. Mike says:

As a long-time deer hunter–with bow, blackpowder, shotgun, and rifle–I applaud this wonderful Bishop for his active participation in the reality of Genesis 1:28.

9. irishgirl says:

Wow…a gun toting bishop! Betcha that turkey he bagged was delicious!

10. Eric says:

go spike the bishop’s blog stats!

I’m pretty sure that was an excommunicable offense before VII.

11. frjim4321 says:

As a whitetail hunter I’m happy to hear a bishop is also a hunter. I don’t know of any other priests in our diocese who hunt.

12. q7swallows says:

There’s a juicy rafter of turkeys over at Notre Dame . . .