HAM RADIO W9FRZ STATUS
Search Fr. Z’s Blog
SHOPPING ONLINE? Please, always come here first!
I had to change the way that people go to amazon to buy things because... you know... why make it easy?. So, just click the link below. Once you're in, you're good to shop.
Try AmazonFresh Free Trial
Shop Amazon Gold Box - New Deals. Everyday
Shop Amazon Gift Cards - Instant Delivery or Free One-Day Shipping
Try Prime Discounted Monthly Offering
And you do need a Kindle! - HERE
About this blog…
“This blog is like a fusion of the Baroque ‘salon’ with its well-tuned harpsichord around which polite society gathered for entertainment and edification and, on the other hand, a Wild West “saloon” with its out-of-tune piano and swinging doors, where everyone has a gun and something to say. Nevertheless, we try to point our discussions back to what it is to be Catholic in this increasingly difficult age, to love God, and how to get to heaven.” – Fr. Z
Coat of Arms by D Burkart
Do you want to show some appreciation?
Send Snail Mail to Fr. Z
YOUR RECENT COMMENTS
- michele421: Boldly speaking one’ s mind in the face of opposition is one thing. Giving them free ammunition is quite another. Clearly prudence is not one of his strengths.
- Gab: Dear Father Henry, in his 70s, was dousing away after Mass on Tuesday amid giggles from the children (and some adults), only for Father to stop mid-dousin g to say “Can you tell I̵...
- carn: “Peo ple are confused by CCC 2267. It appears to be a radical change to the Church’s teaching. You have to read a lot of things into the vague word “inadmissi ble” to get to a place...
- Charles E Flynn: Footnote 14 of Prof. Kwasniewsk i’s lecture refers to the “Cat echism of the Council of Trent for Parish Priests 220;. A Kindle edition costs $1.99 on Amazon: After...
- APX: According to the article in Crux, he stated that women has no place in the Church. If he made such an ignorant comment then he gets no sympathy from me.
- Augustine Thompson O.P.: It is not possible for something clearly declared to be immoral in Catholic theology according to the magisterum to be redefined as moral by anyone, including the pope....
- Lurker 59: Is the Catechism inerrant? No, and it shouldn 217;t be treated as such. What the Catechism is is a codex for teaching truths of the Faith, not something to be argued against, but not...
- mhumpher: Dear Father Z, I hope that you can help me understand this. I have asked apologists and bioethicis ts about this issue and none has given me an answer that makes sense to me. First, it is...
- JMody: Even before this change, the CCC language was disturbing . The Church USED TO SAY that the death penalty was extreme but permissibl e because it took away that most valuable thing, LIFE, as...
- JRP: If we had impeachmen t, this would be exhibit A: an intentiona l and formally propagated defecting of the faith for worldly ends. Sure, the Church will survive. Niebuhr, while wrong on many...
- Kathleen10: Laity secret revealed = we are disappoint ed and feel cheated when the sprinkle doesn̵ 7;t reach us
- ArthurH: A repeat to correct an error̵ 1; sorry. Fr. Z said: Finally, does this mean that the CCC is not, any longer, a sure reference work, as John Paul II, called it, for the Faith? No. It is...
- exNOAAman: God didn’ ;t say it was “adm issible. 8221; He commanded it. This “ina dmissible& #8221; thing is just another case of us holding a middle finger to the sky. “...
- excalibur: So you don’ t want to be a Bishop? Is that it? Anyway, more prayers.
- excalibur: Done just now.
- Kathleen10: If only we had the conviction of the Leftists. It’s no wonder young people end up as Democrats or socialists , the Left is brimming with confidence while we are apologizin g and...
- jaykay: Semper G: great article. I didn’ ;t know about St. TeresaR 17;s meeting with him. This sums it all up, I think: “Mot her Teresa went further: “You have suffered the passion of...
- Kerry: Why are there Nones? Gibberish like this: “The decision for Irarrázava l to resign ‘was the fruit of dialogue and joint discernmen t, in which Pope Francis valued the spirit of...
- The original Mr. X: Cupich claims that, when confronted with prominent Catholics who formally and actively cooperate in depriving innocent human beings of their right to life, his “primary respon...
- Kerry: In the movie about their lives, Cardinal Cupich will play Vice President Biden, and Biden, Cardinal Cupich. At Crisis Magazine, Father RutlerR 17;s take apart of Biden is his usual...
- arga: Is there anyone who believes that Cardinal Cupich is prolife? Or believes in the Real Presence? That’ ;s what’ ;s really going on. It’s certainly not that he’s interes...
- Benedict Joseph: You got it.
- byzantinesteve: Could someone please point me to one person, just a single politician in this entire country who, as a Catholic, previously voted in favor of abortion rights and later changed their...
- Gabriel Syme: I highly recommend the ‘Che rnobylR 17; series, I saw it recently. Most TV is utter dross, but every so often there is a gem like this. I read an online comment by someone...
- tho: For those who read history, the British Navy gave us an example of how to handle higher ranked people for derelictio n of duty. The case I am referring to is Admiral John Byng, his cowardi...
CLICK and say your daily offerings!
- Thoughts about the change to CCC 2267 on the death penalty
- Chilean priest’s episcopal consecration axed because of some comments
- Canonist Ed Peters eviscerates bishops – one in particular – who won’t apply law
- USCCB meets. They talk about the “nones”. Wherein Fr. Z rants.
- New “Chernobyl” TV show and the End Times
- A “Catholic Signal Corps” – Thinking about a Catholic digital future and this blog
- ASK FATHER: Traditional aspergillum or “whisk”?
- BOOKS RECEIVED: Antonio Socci on why Benedict is still Pope and Sam Gregg on the Struggle for Western Civilization
- ASK FATHER: Pipe organs, being expensive, how about manually pumped reed organs?
- ASK FATHER: Alb for a boy’s pretend “Mass” set?
- ASK FATHER: Marital relations after a tubal ligation 22 years ago out of fear of pregnancy
- On a painfully hopeful day, consolation arrives – new icon of Our Lady, Queen of the Clergy
- Wherein Fr. Z reads, rants and prays
- Chief of the Vichy Knights of Malta forbids the Extraordinary Form
- Your Good News
- Cardinals and Bishops issue a “Declaration of Truths” intended to “aid” the Supreme Pontiff
- Octave of Pentecost PODCAzTs
- Great concelebration photos during Chartres Pentecost Pilgrimage
- Your Pentecost Sunday Sermon Notes
- CQ CQ CQ Ham Radio Saturday: DXing and Vatican call sighting, and Vatican Radio LATIN news program
- WDTPRS – Vigil of Pentecost (1962MR): from gerbils to lions
- WDTPRS – Pentecost Sunday: Holy Church’s warp and weft hold true
- “Why should I send somebody in my place to be killed?”
- DAY 9 – Novena of Prayer to the Holy Spirit – AUDIO
- DAY 8 – Novena of Prayer to the Holy Spirit – AUDIO
- Bp. Paprocki bans pro-abortion politicians from Holy Communion
- NCRegister about D-Day Catholic chaplains
- Calling experts with WordPress
- DAY 7 – Novena of Prayer to the Holy Spirit – AUDIO
Let us pray…
Grant unto thy Church, we beseech Thee, O merciful God, that She, being gathered together by the Holy Ghost, may be in no wise troubled by attack from her foes. O God, who by sin art offended and by penance pacified, mercifully regard the prayers of Thy people making supplication unto Thee,and turn away the scourges of Thine anger which we deserve for our sins. Almighty and Everlasting God, in whose Hand are the power and the government of every realm: look down upon and help the Christian people that the heathen nations who trust in the fierceness of their own might may be crushed by the power of thine Arm. Through our Lord Jesus Christ, Thy Son, who liveth and reigneth with Thee in the unity of the Holy Ghost, God, world without end. R. Amen.
This blog has to earn its keep!
PLEASE subscribe if it is useful.
That way I have steady income I can plan on, and you wind up regularly on my list of benefactors for whom I pray and for whom I periodically say Holy Mass.
For a one time donation...
I set up a
CONTINUE TO GIVE
account, which functions rather like PayPal. Some of you use it. Here is a QCode you can use with your smart phones. Try it!
Also, to receive a link to donate via Continue To Give using your smart phone SEND MESSAGE:
4827563 TO: 715-803-4772 (USA)
Some donations also come through CHASE. That works well. I don't think they take any percentage as fees.
Yes, Fr. Z is taking ads…
A great hymnal…
Because it matters what children read…
I carry one of these super-strong rosaries in my spare mag pouch! The Swiss Guards have them too!
My "challenge coin" for my 25th anniversary of ordination in 2016.
Want one? I do exchanges with military and LEOs, etc. and you can make a donation.
PLEASE RESPOND. Pretty pleeeease?Loading ...
WDTPRS POLLLoading ...
Fr. Z’s stuff is everywhere
Help support Fr. Z’s Gospel of Life work at no cost to you. Do you need a Real Estate Agent? Calling these people is the FIRST thing you should do!
GREAT causes to support
Help Monks in Wyoming (coffee – UPDATED LINK) and Norcia (beer) and the wonderful "Soap Sisters" of Summit, NJ!
Please follow me on Twitter!
If you travel internationally, this is a super useful gizmo for your mobile internet data. I use one. If you get one through my link, I get data rewards.
Nota bene: I do not answer these numbers or this Skype address. You won't get me "live". I check for messages regularly.
020 8133 4535
Tag Archives: confession
Reminder to priests having the care of souls about hearing confessions: do it … or probably go to Hell.
My friend Fr. Martin Fox has a good post – directed at priests – about hearing confessions. HERE I like his peroration… Yes, it’s hard work, especially when you’ve got lots of other things to do, and that’s certainly true … Continue reading
From a priest: QUAERITUR: Father, you stated: “Create a vacuum and something else will rush in to fill it. Think of this in our human, lived experience. If you have a bad habit, you will more than likely never break … Continue reading
From a reader… QUAERITUR: I have a frustrating problem that has plagued me for years without fail. Throughout the week, all my faults and sins that a I’ve committed since my last confession ruminate through my mind clearly and distinctly. … Continue reading
Card. Piacenza to priests: “Wanna be a modern priest? HEAR CONFESSIONS!” Whereupon Fr. Z really rants.
There is a good piece at La Bussola Quotidiana (in Italian) about the Sacrament of Penance. I’ll give you a sample, but I don’t have the energy to translate the whole thing. Prelude: Apparently there was recently something called “Earth … Continue reading
Ash Wednesday – Fasting, Abstainence, and You together with notes on alligator, endothermic moonfish, and muskrat
According to the 1983 Code of Canon Law for the Latin Church, Latin Church Catholics are bound to observe fasting and abstinence on Ash Wednesday. Here are some details. I am sure you know them already, but they are good … Continue reading
From a reader… QUAERITUR: I haven’t been to confession in a long time, and I’d like to go soon. But I’ve also been very depressed and considering suicide. So I feel like one of my motivations to go would be to prepare … Continue reading
From a reader… QUAERITUR: Father, In John 20:22-24, it says “And when he had said this, he breathed on them, and said to them, ‘Receive the Holy Spirit. If you forgive the sins of any, they are forgiven; if you … Continue reading
From a reader… QUAERITUR: Today, I went for confession to the capuchins like I usually do. The priests there tend to be great confessors. However, today I had quite a bad experience. I confess in kind and number and I … Continue reading
From a reader… QUAERITUR: I tend to get very nervous in confession and I do better if I just stick to the script so to speak so I don’t start rambling. Is there a formula for confessing mortal sins that were forgotten … Continue reading
In the past I have posted some prayers for priests to say before and after hearing confessions, as well as before and after making their own confessions. Here is a prayer for people to say for the priest, for the … Continue reading
Before anything else… Lots of people are really angry, indeed enraged. Horrid situations such as those caused by men like McCarrick are painful. We can make choices about how to view them. Anger is appropriate, but not to the point … Continue reading
From a reader… QUAERITUR: Would it be better (in order for the priest to have more time with the penitent) to make an appointment for confessing VERY grave sins (something even the most lenient person would say needs confessing) or … Continue reading
From a reader… QUAERITUR: Dear Father, is it okay if I didn’t said the sin I was about to confess because my mind blocked? I didn’t finished it with the lines “for these and all my sins…” because I got … Continue reading
From a reader… QUAERITUR: Hoping you can help me approach this situation correctly in future. Confession at parish is daily from 11:30 to 12 and mass starts at 12:10. Many times I arrive early and there is already a line so I … Continue reading
Today is Lady Day, the Feast of the Annunciation, the instant of the Incarnation… and we would be celebrating it if it were not for the vagaries of the Moon. Palm Sunday and Holy Week have pushed our observance to another … Continue reading