Search Fr. Z’s Blog
SHOPPING ONLINE? Please, always come here first!
I had to change the way that people go to amazon to buy things because... you know... why make it easy?. So, just click the link below. Once you're in, you're good to shop.
Try AmazonFresh Free Trial
Shop Amazon Gold Box - New Deals. Everyday
Shop Amazon Gift Cards - Instant Delivery or Free One-Day Shipping
Try Prime Discounted Monthly Offering
And you do need a Kindle! - HERE
Kindle Unlimited Membership Plans
About this blog…
“This blog is like a fusion of the Baroque ‘salon’ with its well-tuned harpsichord around which polite society gathered for entertainment and edification and, on the other hand, a Wild West “saloon” with its out-of-tune piano and swinging doors, where everyone has a gun and something to say. Nevertheless, we try to point our discussions back to what it is to be Catholic in this increasingly difficult age, to love God, and how to get to heaven.” – Fr. Z
Coat of Arms by D Burkart
Do you want to show some appreciation?
Don’t rely on popes, bishops and priests.
“Who is going to save our Church? Not our bishops, not our priests and religious. It is up to you, the people. You have the minds, the eyes, and the ears to save the Church. Your mission is to see that your priests act like priests, your bishops act like bishops.”
- Fulton Sheen
Therefore, ACTIVATE YOUR CONFIRMATION and get to work!
Send Snail Mail to Fr. Z
Beautiful, heirloom quality Rosaries
Fr. Z’s Blog is a Founding Member of…
“The modern habit of doing ceremonial things unceremoniously is no proof of humility; rather it proves the offender's inability to forget himself in the rite, and his readiness to spoil for every one else the proper pleasure of ritual.”
- C.S. Lewis
This blog has to earn its keep!
PLEASE subscribe if it is useful.
That way I have steady income I can plan on, and you wind up regularly on my list of benefactors for whom I pray and for whom I periodically say Holy Mass.
For a one time donation...
I set up a
CONTINUE TO GIVE
account, which functions rather like PayPal. Some of you use it. Here is a QCode you can use with your smart phones. Try it!
Also, to receive a link to donate via Continue To Give using your smart phone SEND MESSAGE:
4827563 TO: 715-803-4772 (USA)
Some donations also come through CHASE. That works well. I don't think they take any percentage as fees.
2020 TLM Pilgrimage to the Holy Land
YOUR RECENT COMMENTS
- TonyO: Setting aside his prepared text, Pope Francis warned against the danger of what he termed as “clericali zing the laity”. Sometimes, he said, permanent deacons, who are to be the custodi...
- Fr_Andrew: If the above post wasn’ ;t clear enough : Let’ s Make American Liturgy Great Again.
- Fr_Andrew: The European custom was that the ADs wear amice over surplice, then dalmatic. The American custom from the Baltimore Ceremonial (which in my mind, is the customary manual which should be...
- FrankWalshingham: Majuscule: That deacon was Father David M.Friel of the Archdioces e of Philadelph ia. He is studying at the CUA. He has been a great asset to the DC Latin Mass Community during...
- moosix1974: Worried? No. Simply curious. Thank you, Father, for the response. So very much to learn and I love it. We are our rites. Amen. Amen. Amen.
- Lurker 59: There are really two questions present here in this issue: 1.) Where there deaconette s in the early Church? 2.) Is it possible to ordain women as deaconette s in the modern Church?...
- Sportsfan: Maybe they ran out. However, every good national shrine should keep a surplus of surplices.
- joekstl2: I’ll correct a prior response using “we’re”. So Fr. Z and a few posters are worried about surplices during a liturgical rite. Seriously!
- ajf1984: [NB: this post was written mostly in jest, as I have no desire to denigrate the Holy Order of Deacons!] Why are so many people on the Left clamoring for women to become ecclesial table-w...
- jaykay: Ooops, wrong. Not clean-shav en. Memory! http://roa dstothegre atwar-ww1. blogspot.c om/2016/05 /veteran-o f-great-wa r-and-sain t-padre-pi o.html?m=1
- jaykay: Semper G: well done! The soldiers 8217; gear had me thinking US Army, with the leggings and Brodie-sty le helmets, as British Army chaplains wore khaki, not blue, and that uniform is...
- MitisVis: That looks like Msgr. Pope in both examples, so why not just ask him. Could be a simple reason. Looks like beautiful masses all.
- NB: Is that poor Msgr. Pope being picked on here?
- zeremoniar: I wondered about the surplices, too. Thank you for the citation from Stehle. This is interestin g. I think it might be related to wearing the surplice under the alb (when you have no...
- FrHorning: Just 2 weeks ago on a bus ride from Mexico City to Cholula, a gentleman asked me if I was a Jesuit. I told him no, that I was Diocesan. He happened to be riding in the seat next to me....
- Kevin: Fr. What are the manuals you write of…. Stehle, Collins, Reid, and Trimeloni?
- Marion Ancilla Mariae II: TonyO wrote, “So, what the author is saying (on behalf of the pope) is that nobody can know what the pope means about something. . . . even the other party, if he...
- veritas vincit: While fully agreeing with the descriptio n of Voice of the Faithful in the Catholicit y link, I do need to point out that the article is dated. Deal Hudson who wrote that article...
- Marion Ancilla Mariae II: I believe deaconesse s were used in the early Church because many of the people being baptized were no longer infants. The early Church practiced full-immer sion bapti...
- Semper Gumby: Mario Bird: Good one. Though this is probably the first, as my attempts at answering church bell audio and unidentifi able liturgical items land in the combox like a sack of soy...
- Father Bartoloma: Good to see Msgr. Pope as a deacon at the throne. I wonder why they left the free-stand ing altar in the sanctuary? I know that it has a special mechanism built into it whereby it...
- JonPatrick: The Catholic Thing has a good discussion about why women can’ t be ordained https://ww w.thecatho licthing.o rg/2019/11 /17/women- priests/
- Anne C.: Amen – I was there! We (Mankind) weren̵ 7;t listening, so Jesus sent his Mother! Besides Quito, he also mentioned LaSalette, Fatima and Akita. We need to become willing to give...
- j.g.t. webb: She of Altarworth y is indeed lovely. I know her quite well, so your shout-out gave me an opportunit y to feel mildly, vicariousl y famous.
- HvonBlumenthal: Obviously once you have the job of conductor of a bus you are perfectly qualified to conduct an orchestra, since the same word is used. I think that the campaign for women deacons...
CLICK and say your daily offerings!
- ASK FATHER: Why didn’t the Assistant Deacons wear surplices during the Pontifical Mass at the Shrine? #MassoftheAmericas Wherein Fr. Z analyzes and then rants.
- ACTION ITEM! Seminarians are waiting for BIRETTAS! Priests are waiting for SATURNOS!
- Ultra-dissident “Voice of the Faithful” to host an online meeting about deaconettes. Anyone can register!
- For some lighter reading
- Your Sunday Sermon Notes
- VIDEO – Pontifical Mass at the Shrine of the Immaculate Conception
- My View For Awhile: Domum
- They pretend it’s about language, but in reality it’s about content.
- MY VIEW FOR AWHILE: DC Mass Edition
- Some reading for the road
- The demonic Pachamama idol mess isn’t going to go away
- When life gives you lemons, you can help seminarians
- Some interesting reading for this morning
- @FatherTF good explanation of “Perfect Contrition”
- BEER OPPORTUNITY from the traditional Benedictine Monks of Norcia! Think: Thanksgiving and gifts
- Veterans Day & Remembrance Day
- Your Sunday Sermon Notes
- ACTION ITEM: Feedback Project
- Rome: Mass at St. John Lateran for Dedication – wierd
- Happy 244th Birthday USMC!
- @DouthatNYT interviews Card. Burke
- WDTPRS: Dedication of St. John Lateran
- CQ CQ CQ Ham Radio Saturday: ZedNet revived
- Wherein Fr. Z maps weird things, connects dots, rants a lot, and offers an ACTION ITEM!
- UPDATED: United Nations published environment, population control children’s book called “Pachamama”
- ASK FATHER: I’ve lost all desire and motivation to pray, fast, etc. It all seems so pointless.
- WDTPRS – 32nd Ordinary Sunday: Your mission as a Christian
- Earthquake near Rome
- ASK FATHER: Gaining indulgences and “the Pope’s intentions”. Prayer for the Pope, or for what the Pope designates?
- ASK FATHER: Should I accept an invitation to be installed as an acolyte?
Let us pray…
Grant unto thy Church, we beseech Thee, O merciful God, that She, being gathered together by the Holy Ghost, may be in no wise troubled by attack from her foes. O God, who by sin art offended and by penance pacified, mercifully regard the prayers of Thy people making supplication unto Thee,and turn away the scourges of Thine anger which we deserve for our sins. Almighty and Everlasting God, in whose Hand are the power and the government of every realm: look down upon and help the Christian people that the heathen nations who trust in the fierceness of their own might may be crushed by the power of thine Arm. Through our Lord Jesus Christ, Thy Son, who liveth and reigneth with Thee in the unity of the Holy Ghost, God, world without end. R. Amen.
Yes, Fr. Z is taking ads…
Because it matters what children read…
Be a “Zed-Head”!
I carry one of these super-strong rosaries in my spare mag pouch! The Swiss Guards have them too!
My "challenge coin" for my 25th anniversary of ordination in 2016.
Want one? I do exchanges with military and LEOs, etc. and you can make a donation.
PLEASE RESPOND. Pretty pleeeease?Loading ...
WDTPRS POLLLoading ...
“Rigid”? Pfffft. “Faithful!” No priest’s desk or kitchen is complete without one, for young, old, and priests in general.
Fr. Z’s stuff is everywhere
Help support Fr. Z’s Gospel of Life work at no cost to you. Do you need a Real Estate Agent? Calling these people is the FIRST thing you should do!
GREAT causes to support
Help Monks in Wyoming (coffee – UPDATED LINK) and Norcia (beer) and the wonderful "Soap Sisters" of Summit, NJ!
Please follow me on Twitter!
If you travel internationally, this is a super useful gizmo for your mobile internet data. I use one. If you get one through my link, I get data rewards.
Daily Archives: 17 February 2010
Damian Thompson has this over at his place: Excerpt: The former assistant Bishop of Newcastle, Paul Richardson, has been received into full communion with the Holy See, I am pleased to reveal. Richardson – also a former Anglican bishop in … Continue reading
Fess up. What did you eat on Ash Wednesday? We know that certain seasoned Catholics and others were not obliged to fast or abstain… but it is laudable to do so without the obligation. Sooo,… fess up. After confessions and … Continue reading
More than one person, including a priest, wrote to me about my comment that today the Holy Father wore a taglio filipino cut of Roman vestment today. My interlocutors beg to differ. Here is a screencapture from today: And from … Continue reading
Questions… questions… From The Catholic League: JOE BIDEN RIDICULED FOR WEARING ASHES Fox News analyst Bob Beckel today criticized Vice President Joe Biden for wearing ashes on TV; today is Ash Wednesday and Biden is Catholic. In the middle of … Continue reading
In the National Catholic Register (which you can distinguish from the other NCR because the Register is Catholic), there is an offering by our friend and recent recipient of a WDTPRS coffee mug Fr. Dwight Longenecker about priests and blogs… … Continue reading
Yes, it is Ash Wednesday, but the the important events of life go on. We are rooting for the US women against the Germans… which leaves me a little conflicted, but not much. The field of battle.
[uc] The Holy Father has begun his journey from Sant’Anselmo to Santa Sabina for the Ash Wednesday Roman Station Mass. The Mass to be heard on Vatican Radio and CTV. I know the liturgical eye-candy folks at NLM will probably … Continue reading
More news about Bp. Vasa in Baker, Oregon. Bishop Vasa ends diocese’s sponsorship of hospital that performs sterilizations February 16, 2010 Bishop Robert Vasa of Baker has announced that his Oregon diocese is ending its sponsorship of St. Charles Medical … Continue reading
On 12 Feb the Holy Father recently addressed seminarians of Rome. Sandro Magister relates that he commented on a passage from John 15 and referred to a letter to him by a professor at the University of Regensburg, contesting the … Continue reading
From a seminarian: A priest at the seminary has been blessing saying "May almighty God bless you in the name of the Father, the Son, and the Holy Spirit." Another priest mentioned this was wrong and even heretical for a … Continue reading
In order to post comments here, you need to register. After review, I approve the registrations … or not. I impose registration here for a couple reasons. First, there are really creepy people out there and we don’t need their … Continue reading
I am delighted that in the 2002 Missale the tradition of the "Prayer over the people" was revived in Lent. This is an important custom. The origin of the Oratio super populum is quite complex and hard to pin down. … Continue reading