Search Fr. Z’s Blog
SHOPPING ONLINE? Please, come here first!
Your use of my Amazon link is a major part of my income. It helps to pay for insurance, groceries, everything. Please remember me when shopping online. Thanks in advance.
Try AmazonFresh Free Trial
Shop Amazon Gold Box - New Deals. Everyday
Shop Amazon Gift Cards - Instant Delivery or Free One-Day Shipping
Try Prime Discounted Monthly Offering
And you do need a Kindle! - HERE
Kindle Unlimited Membership Plans
About this blog…
“This blog is like a fusion of the Baroque ‘salon’ with its well-tuned harpsichord around which polite society gathered for entertainment and edification and, on the other hand, a Wild West “saloon” with its out-of-tune piano and swinging doors, where everyone has a gun and something to say. Nevertheless, we try to point our discussions back to what it is to be Catholic in this increasingly difficult age, to love God, and how to get to heaven.” – Fr. Z
Coat of Arms by D Burkart
CLICK and say your daily offerings!
Do you want to show some appreciation?
YOUR RECENT COMMENTS
- Rob83: The bishop has decreed no public celebratio ns of any type, even outdoors, with confession s and anointing limited to “gra ve” situations . Isn’ t every mortal sin a grave...
- PetersBarque: There is an undercurre nt of something grave and diabolical in all of this. Is it a coincidenc e that this current situation was preceded by the abdication of a Pope, revelation s of...
- Kenneth Wolfe: I think we should be respectful while watching a computer Mass, but without a congregati onal posture that we would use in a real church witnessing Mass in person. So count me among...
- Rob83: Trying to make it as similar to Mass as possible by using a pillow for a kneeler, but the virtual Mass experience is a poor substitute for the real thing. Overall I would compare it to the...
- depeccatoradvitam: N0RPT I do not see the listings in EchoLink Working on DMR #ArchSTL #ExtraHam
- Grateful to be Catholic: Bishop Athanasius Schneider says that priests should disobey orders of bishops that unjustly deprive people of the sacraments : https://re mnantnewsp aper.com/w eb/inde...
- iamlucky13: “Whe n I watched, YouTube said that 261K people were tuned in to watch. St. Peter’s Square might have been empty, but a quarter of million people were there in spirit. 221;...
- David: The whole scene was redolent of Fatima: -the bishop clothed in white -a steep mountain (steps) -atop which a cross, made of rough-hewn logs -a city half in ruins, half trembling -the Holy...
- Andrew Saucci: The lawyers and accountant s have been calling the shots ever since the sex abuse crisis started, and now we are reaping what we sowed back then. I am growing weary of the Church of...
- The Astronomer: So, for those in the Archdioces e of Newark who may die in the state of sin, because they had the Sacrament of Confession prohibited by the chancery, it may well and truly a case of...
- ddhue: I read this earlier today and thought something along the lines of, “I wonder where this is?! I am so glad our diocese isn’ t like this.̶ 1; And then I just read the latest...
- Fallibilissimo: It was breathtaki ng in some many ways of beauty. I also appreciate d the Crucifix made in apparently “rough hewn trunks” in a city literally halting its step… ;. Was very...
- Julia_Augusta: I am in Kyoto, Japan. Because of the time difference s, I cannot follow the live Masses in Europe or the US unless I stay awake past my bedtime. I don’ t know of any live-st...
- Lurker 59: My diocese has done pretty much the same. I am a convert, and as such, the eliminatio n of access to the sacrament of baptism has me absolutely livid. To me, to say “und er colour...
- ColumbusJohn: Father, I have been aggrieved since this all broke out similarly. In justice, does a situation like this where my particular church has ceased virtually all operations with the...
- OrangeBlossom: Creams my corn! With churches closed and locked and hearing of prisoners being released brings to mind the crowd, “We want Barabbas!! !”
- chantgirl: Dear God, have mercy, and protect us from the hirelings, the wolves, the pandemic, and our own sins!
- surritter: I just got an email from our diocese about their live-strea med Masses (Ordinary Form). One of their suggestion s (to the celebrant, I presume): “Dur ing the sign of peace, ask...
- Liturgy Lover: This post sums up so accurately how I’ve been feeling the last week. Our diocese suspended all confession s as well, and has pretty much been sticking their fingers in their ears and...
- The Masked Chicken: So many thoughts 8230; Wall Street, when the Dow fell. Uzani, his confession with doors closed. God, his army with Masses open. Two other serious sci-fi stories come to mind:...
- mamajen: Can I piggyback on this question just a bit? From a priestR 17;s point of view, is live superior to a recording? I’m the parish webmaster and we are trying live for the first time...
- Lurker 59: I am probably going to be an outlier on this so a massive caveat and listen to what priests have to say here not me. My thoughts are that watching Mass “liv e-streamed ̶...
- Vanna: I had very mixed feelings about online Mass. I couldnR 17;t really believe we were actually not going to go – Sunday Mass is the one thing that has always been present in my life,...
- Matt R: I would add that good precision comes from being a canon lawyer, and far too bishops are qualified canonists. Archbishop Sample gave clear measures even before things shut down further in...
- Gab: As we do with Spiritual Communion, so too with a live-strea med Mass or a pre-record ed Mass. I unite myself to the Mass spirituall y (as best as I am able) and pray as I would if attend...
Fr. Z’s VOICEMAIL
Nota bene: I do not answer these numbers or this Skype address. You won't get me "live". I check for messages regularly.
020 8133 4535
Don’t rely on popes, bishops and priests.
“Who is going to save our Church? Not our bishops, not our priests and religious. It is up to you, the people. You have the minds, the eyes, and the ears to save the Church. Your mission is to see that your priests act like priests, your bishops act like bishops.”
- Fulton Sheen
Therefore, ACTIVATE YOUR CONFIRMATION and get to work!
Send Snail Mail to Fr. Z
“The modern habit of doing ceremonial things unceremoniously is no proof of humility; rather it proves the offender's inability to forget himself in the rite, and his readiness to spoil for every one else the proper pleasure of ritual.”
- C.S. Lewis
This blog has to earn its keep!
PLEASE subscribe if it is useful.
That way I have steady income I can plan on, and you wind up regularly on my list of benefactors for whom I pray and for whom I periodically say Holy Mass.
For a one time donation...
I set up a
CONTINUE TO GIVE
account, which functions rather like PayPal. Some of you use it. Here is a QCode you can use with your smart phones. Try it!
Also, to receive a link to donate via Continue To Give using your smart phone SEND MESSAGE:
4827563 TO: 715-803-4772 (USA)
Some donations also come through CHASE. That works well. I don't think they take any percentage as fees.
I was at this conference last year. I’ll probably go this year! That’s how enjoyable it was. I’ve marked my calendar.
As for Latin…
"But if, in any layman who is indeed imbued with literature, ignorance of the Latin language, which we can truly call the 'catholic' language, indicates a certain sluggishness in his love toward the Church, how much more fitting it is that each and every cleric should be adequately practiced and skilled in that language!" - Pius XI
"Let us realize that this remark of Cicero (Brutus 37, 140) can be in a certain way referred to [young lay people]: 'It is not so much a matter of distinction to know Latin as it is disgraceful not to know it.'" - St. John Paul II
- ASK FATHER: Best practices for following a Mass which is live-streamed on the internet or broadcast on TV
- Wherein a seriously annoyed Fr. Z rants – UPDATED
- ACTION ITEM! BISHOPS and PRIESTS – Exorcise and bless!
- Startling visuals from special “Urbi et Orbi” ceremony in Rome against the pandemic
- 27 March – Votive Mass “for the sick” – LIVE VIDEO: 1200h CDT (GMT/UTC -5)
- LENTCAzT 2020: 31 – Friday in the 4th Week of Lent: “The nature of our pride”
- 1st Space Force mission is a go
- LENTCAzT 2020: 30 – Thursday in the 4th Week of Lent: “I command you, get up!”
- Darmok and Jalad at Tanagra
- Fakebook blocking or deleting live-streamed Catholic Masses
- ROME: Famous 1522 Plague Procession Crucifix moved to St. Peter’s
- ASK FATHER: How to contact priests to serve their private Traditional Latin Masses
- YOUR URGENT PRAYER REQUESTS
- 25 March: Feast of The Good Thief, St. Dismas… who stole heaven
- 25 March – Annunciation – LIVE VIDEO: Mass at 1200h CDT (GMT/UTC -5)
- CDF DECREE: New PREFACES for the Extraordinary Form (TLM) liturgical calendar
- CDF DECREE: New SAINTS for the Extraordinary Form (TLM) liturgical calendar
- LENTCAzT 2020: 29 – Wednesday in the 4th Week of Lent & Annunciation: “She is the ‘people of God'”
- A great “wartime” Sunday Mass in my native place. Fr. Z kudos.
- Of bells and virus bell curves. Wherein Fr. Z rants.
- LENTCAzT 2020: 28 – Tuesday in the 4th Week of Lent: Conscience and making excuses for sins
- ASK FATHER: A priest wants to be able to celebrate Easter in the Extraordinary Form
- Francis: Coronavirus is nature’s “revenge”, “tantrum”, “cry” for help
- CQ CQ CQ: Ham Radio in Pandemic – ZedNet is ACTIVE!
- Supply chain, Truck Divers and YOU! Something you can do to help. ACTION ITEM!
- ITALY: At least 60 Italian priests have died after contracting coronavirus.
- LENTCAzT 2020: 27 – Monday in the 4th Week of Lent: The next phase now begins
- ACTION ITEM – In this time of mostly private Masses, priests should use the Traditional Latin Mass, the Extraordinary Form!
- ACTION ITEM: 1000 subscribers for YouTube live stream – UPDATE
- POLL: Did you watch a live stream of Mass for Laetare Sunday 2020?
Let us pray…
Grant unto thy Church, we beseech Thee, O merciful God, that She, being gathered together by the Holy Ghost, may be in no wise troubled by attack from her foes. O God, who by sin art offended and by penance pacified, mercifully regard the prayers of Thy people making supplication unto Thee,and turn away the scourges of Thine anger which we deserve for our sins. Almighty and Everlasting God, in whose Hand are the power and the government of every realm: look down upon and help the Christian people that the heathen nations who trust in the fierceness of their own might may be crushed by the power of thine Arm. Through our Lord Jesus Christ, Thy Son, who liveth and reigneth with Thee in the unity of the Holy Ghost, God, world without end. R. Amen.
Yes, Fr. Z is taking ads…
Because it matters what children read…
Be a “Zed-Head”!
I carry one of these super-strong rosaries in my spare mag pouch! The Swiss Guards have them too!
My "challenge coin" for my 25th anniversary of ordination in 2016.
Want one? I do exchanges with military and LEOs, etc. and you can make a donation.
PLEASE RESPOND. Pretty pleeeease?Loading ...
Please use my links when shopping! I depend on your help.
WDTPRS POLLLoading ...
“Rigid”? Pfffft. “Faithful!” No priest’s desk or kitchen is complete without one, for young, old, and priests in general.
Fr. Z’s stuff is everywhere
Help support Fr. Z’s Gospel of Life work at no cost to you. Do you need a Real Estate Agent? Calling these people is the FIRST thing you should do!
GREAT causes to support
Help Monks in Wyoming (coffee – UPDATED LINK) and Norcia (beer) and the wonderful "Soap Sisters" of Summit, NJ!
Please follow me on Twitter!
If you travel internationally, this is a super useful gizmo for your mobile internet data. I use one. If you get one through my link, I get data rewards.
Daily Archives: 19 October 2010
This is a little premature, but the St. Louis newpaper had this on their site. NB: The names of the new cardinals won’t be announced for a few hours yet.
Archbishop Dolan of New York City (will he be named Cardinal tomorrow?) has observations about Hell’s Bible’s hatred for the Catholic Church. My emphases. More from the Times I know, I should drop it. “You just have to get used … Continue reading
From His Hermeneuticalness: Fr Michael Clifton, long time pastor of the faithful, former archivist of Southwark, learned historian, kindly teacher of schoolboys (including me, nearly 40 years ago) cricket coach, model railway enthusiast, and warm friend and mentor of younger … Continue reading
From a reader: I have a question that I cannot find a direct answer: Our pastor made the decision to allow non-Catholics in RCIA to receive Holy Communion. He stated that “Anyone who believed the Church’s teachings on the Mass … Continue reading
I haven’t been able to post about the feeder for a while now. Here are a few shots from today. There are quite a few Robins around. They hang out around the trees with drying fruit, bushes with berries. Decisions. … Continue reading
His Hermeneuticalness posted about an amusing little something picked up by the gentlemanly Sandro Magister. Apparently during the Synod on the Middle East, a Chaldean bishop from Iran cited a work by the late Annibale Bugnini, who name shall live … Continue reading
This came via Patrick Madrid. A young Somali man had a little dance on the main altar of the Duomo in Florence, to the musical accompaniment of Michael Jackson’s Bad. Apparently the young fellow has a bit of a screw … Continue reading
I received a note from a friend about the Pueri Cantores convention in Ireland at Maynooth Seminary. There are some fine video available for your perusal on Gloria.TV. The chant is not perfect, but they will nevertheless convince you that … Continue reading
I was not able to see any of the canonization Mass on Sunday. Today, however, I received a question from a reader about the canopy over the Holy Father at his chair. Whilst watching some of the Ceremonies from the … Continue reading
From a reader: Me and a group of my friends try to go weekly to a nearby nursing home to visit and pray with the people there. We usually go around the rooms asking if any of them want to … Continue reading