Search Fr. Z’s Blog
SHOPPING ONLINE? Please, come here first!
Your use of my Amazon link is a major part of my income. It helps to pay for insurance, groceries, everything. Please remember me when shopping online. Thanks in advance.
Try AmazonFresh Free Trial
Shop Amazon Gold Box - New Deals. Everyday
Shop Amazon Gift Cards - Instant Delivery or Free One-Day Shipping
Try Prime Discounted Monthly Offering
And you do need a Kindle! - HERE
Kindle Unlimited Membership Plans
About this blog…
“This blog is like a fusion of the Baroque ‘salon’ with its well-tuned harpsichord around which polite society gathered for entertainment and edification and, on the other hand, a Wild West “saloon” with its out-of-tune piano and swinging doors, where everyone has a gun and something to say. Nevertheless, we try to point our discussions back to what it is to be Catholic in this increasingly difficult age, to love God, and how to get to heaven.” – Fr. Z
Coat of Arms by D Burkart
CLICK and say your daily offerings!
Do you want to show some appreciation?
Do you have a faithful Catholic website that needs competent and reliable tech support?
YOUR RECENT COMMENTS
- gouletdrg: I agree with Senor Quixana comments. Until I see the link to the source. and/or answers to the “5 Ws”, I am not taking it seriously. Especially as I seen similar posts on FB and other...
- Semper Gumby: Good points, WVC.
- Semper Gumby: Thank you Fr. Z for the update. Prayers for Benedict XVI and gratitude for Summorum Pontificum .
- Fr Martin Fox: I hope this story of refused confession isn’ t true; if it is, it would be easy to bring to the attention of the ordinary, and if that fails, to Rome. It’s very hard to...
- Fr. Kelly: Well said, WVC
- Antonin: @ Masked Chicken – you are describing a technocrac y. Democracy means that public officials, informed by public decisions, need to take reasonable public policy measure informed by...
- WVC: For all the pro-masker s – don’ t worry. Pretty soon we’l l have a Safety Goggle mandate, too! Because, hey, it will help protect you! (even though we kept insisting the...
- Imrahil: So we’re stuck with mask wearing until we get a vaccine. We’r e (maybe) stuck with mask-weari ng as long as the acute pandemic is running. But poliomyeli tis ran for thousands of...
- Imrahil: I haven̵ 7;t seen the video. (I may yet, but then I think that arguments may as well be put in writing.) What I get from the combox is corroborat ion of one of my thoughts during this...
- Suburbanbanshee: Erysipelas patron saints: St. Benedict of Nursia St. Anthony Abbot (hence the name “St. Anthony 217;s fire” ;) St. Castulus of Rome (husband of St. Irene of Rome) St....
- JonPatrick: Getting really tired of the mask wars – if you wear one you are a lemming conditioni ng yourself to be compliant when the authoritar ian government takes over, and if you don...
- Ellen: I wear a mask when I go into stores since the governor has said we have to. I wear one at Mass since the bishop said we have to. I will NOT wear one outside since I live in the south and...
- Matthew: I don’ t believe it. I don’ t believe emails passed along by someone 217;s sisterR 17;s friend. Either share the entire email including the name of the Church or stop...
- cblanch912: B- Rancourt compiles a list of studies with links̷ 0;are those a joke? It is not his research. I’m asking seriously& #8230;if you can refute the findings in these studies (not done...
- JOYfulmom: “The world offers you comfort. But you were not made for comfort. You were made for Greatness. ”-Po pe Benedict XVI
- JOYfulmom: Cblanch912 , I agree with you. In the beginning my family took this very seriously, staying home and doing our part to “flatten the curve”, however as more informatio n was released, the...
- The Masked Chicken: Why bother going to medical school or studying aerosol physics? Suddenly, everybody is an expert on everything . I suppose the fact that the government mandates wearing helmets...
- B: Ha, seriously? …. You are going to use Denis Rancourt as an example of valid research? He is is a suspended & dismissed academic for things including academic dishonesty for grade...
- saintl: As an OR nurse who has worn a mask daily for almost 40 years, I can tell you that it is almost useless. The reason is a little complicate d. It has to do with the filtration abilities of...
- cblanch912: I’m not basing my decision to not wear a mask merely on the video posted above. If you had listened carefully, you may have heard this young woman make a point about doing *rese...
- joek: Fr. Sean K (MSJB) gave homily drawing from St. Albert the Great̵ 7;s commentary about the Valiant Woman (Prov. 31), as well as commmentar y from St. Theresa of Jesus the Carmelite mystic....
- B: cblanc912 commented “How many will watch this clip…and then keep wearing the mask?̶ 1; I will. Too many of my Italian friends lost family members. I won’ t politicize this.
- MitisVis: Mask may or may not help and certainly can’ t hurt. Major proper studies were done by WHO and countless medical teams in 2015 and 2017 that showed even the surgical masks were not...
- LeeGilbert: NOCatholic , you write: “So we’re stuck with mask wearing until we get a vaccine.” The doctors above argue that we’re stuck with Covid till HCQ is permitted. They argue this would solve...
- beelady: I agree!
Fr. Z’s VOICEMAIL
Nota bene: I do not answer these numbers or this Skype address. You won't get me "live". I check for messages regularly.
020 8133 4535
Books which you must have.
Don’t rely on popes, bishops and priests.
“Who is going to save our Church? Not our bishops, not our priests and religious. It is up to you, the people. You have the minds, the eyes, and the ears to save the Church. Your mission is to see that your priests act like priests, your bishops act like bishops.”
- Fulton Sheen
Therefore, ACTIVATE YOUR CONFIRMATION and get to work!
Send Snail Mail to Fr. Z
“The modern habit of doing ceremonial things unceremoniously is no proof of humility; rather it proves the offender's inability to forget himself in the rite, and his readiness to spoil for every one else the proper pleasure of ritual.”
- C.S. Lewis
This blog has to earn its keep!
PLEASE subscribe if it is useful.
That way I have steady income I can plan on, and you wind up regularly on my list of benefactors for whom I pray and for whom I periodically say Holy Mass.
For a one time donation...
I set up a
CONTINUE TO GIVE
account, which functions rather like PayPal. Some of you use it. Here is a QCode you can use with your smart phones. Try it!
Also, to receive a link to donate via Continue To Give using your smart phone SEND MESSAGE:
4827563 TO: 715-803-4772 (USA)
Some donations also come through CHASE. That works well. I don't think they take any percentage as fees.
I was at this conference last year. IT IS ON FOR THIS YEAR!
As for Latin…
"But if, in any layman who is indeed imbued with literature, ignorance of the Latin language, which we can truly call the 'catholic' language, indicates a certain sluggishness in his love toward the Church, how much more fitting it is that each and every cleric should be adequately practiced and skilled in that language!" - Pius XI
"Let us realize that this remark of Cicero (Brutus 37, 140) can be in a certain way referred to [young lay people]: 'It is not so much a matter of distinction to know Latin as it is disgraceful not to know it.'" - St. John Paul II
- 4 August – Traditional Latin Mass – St Dominic – VIDEO: 1200h CDT (GMT/UTC -5)
- 3 August – Traditional Latin Mass – Intention: Benedict XVI – VIDEO: 1200h CDT (GMT/UTC -5)
- ACTION ITEM! Benedict XVI “frail” and sick with bacterial infection
- Concerning COVID-1984 masks
- 2 August until midnight: “Portiuncula” Plenary (or Partial) Indulgence
- Your Sunday Sermon Notes – 9th after Pentecost (NO: 18th Ordinary) 2020
- 2 August – Traditional Latin Mass – SERMON ONLY 9th Sunday after Pentecost – VIDEO: 1200h CDT (GMT/UTC -5)
- HORRIFYING: Cathedral priests reject for confession anyone not-registered, verified by their documented GIVING in the last year!!
- PODCAzT 183: Bp. Schneider’s call for a Crusade of Eucharistic Reparation – ACTION ITEM!
- 1 August: Feast of Blessed M. Stella and her Ten Companions, the The Martyrs of Nowogrodek – FOLLOW UP
- Notes about how the relics of the Old Testament Maccabees martyrs reached Rome
- Washington DC: young people chalk “Black Pre-born Lives Matter” on sidewalk and are ARRESTED!
- 1 August – Traditional Latin Mass – Votive: Immaculate Heart of BVM – LIVE VIDEO: 1200h CDT (GMT/UTC -5)
- Lammas – Loaf Mass Day – 1 August
- ACTION ITEM! A priest’s request for prayers – IMPORTANT UPDATE!
- A cause of today’s ecclesial schizophrenia: priests don’t know Latin
- 31 July – Traditional Latin Mass – St. Ignatius Loyola – LIVE VIDEO: 1200h CDT (GMT/UTC -5)
- Fr. Z’s Kitchen and NEW BOOK: Patum Piperium and Christ The Liturgy
- ACTION ITEM! Prayers for Msgr. Charles Pope, tested positive for COVID
- Fr. Z Swag In The Wild
- URGENT PRAYER REQUEST FOR A DYING PRIEST: Fr. Charles Briggs
- 30 July – Traditional Latin Mass – Votive Mass for the Deliverance from Death in Time of Pestilence – LIVE VIDEO: 1200h CDT (GMT/UTC -5)
- LAUNCH! PERSEVERANCE has MOXIE
- Rep. Jim Jordan in House hearing: “Big Tech’s out to get conservatives” – VIDEO
- 29 July – Traditional Latin Mass – St. Martha – LIVE VIDEO: 1200h CDT (GMT/UTC -5)
- The Traditional Latin Mass is going to be a key to any positive future for Catholicism in these USA.
- China hacked the Vatican? Of COURSE China hacked the Vatican!
- 28 July – Traditional Latin Mass – Sts. Nazarius, Celsus, Victor & Innocent – LIVE VIDEO: 1200h CDT (GMT/UTC -5)
- What’s up at Fishwrap these days?
- ASK FATHER: If Mass is being streamed to a hall for overflow attendance, are those people at Mass?
Let us pray…
Grant unto thy Church, we beseech Thee, O merciful God, that She, being gathered together by the Holy Ghost, may be in no wise troubled by attack from her foes. O God, who by sin art offended and by penance pacified, mercifully regard the prayers of Thy people making supplication unto Thee,and turn away the scourges of Thine anger which we deserve for our sins. Almighty and Everlasting God, in whose Hand are the power and the government of every realm: look down upon and help the Christian people that the heathen nations who trust in the fierceness of their own might may be crushed by the power of thine Arm. Through our Lord Jesus Christ, Thy Son, who liveth and reigneth with Thee in the unity of the Holy Ghost, God, world without end. R. Amen.
Yes, Fr. Z is taking ads…
Because it matters what children read…
Be a “Zed-Head”!
I carry one of these super-strong rosaries in my spare mag pouch! The Swiss Guards have them too!
My "challenge coin" for my 25th anniversary of ordination in 2016.
Want one? I do exchanges with military and LEOs, etc. and you can make a donation.
PLEASE RESPOND. Pretty pleeeease?Loading ...
This is really useful when travelling… and also when you aren’t and you need backup internet NOW! I use this for my DMR “Zednet” hotspot when I’m mobile. It’s a ham radio thing.
If you travel internationally, this is a super useful gizmo for your mobile internet data. I use one. If you get one through my link, I get data rewards.
Please use my links when shopping! I depend on your help.
WDTPRS POLLLoading ...
“Rigid”? Pfffft. “Faithful!” No priest’s desk or kitchen is complete without one, for young, old, and priests in general.
Fr. Z’s stuff is everywhere
Help support Fr. Z’s Gospel of Life work at no cost to you. Do you need a Real Estate Agent? Calling these people is the FIRST thing you should do!
GREAT causes to support
Daily Archives: 20 October 2010
Hmmmm New Macbook Air.
Cardinals are the Pope’s special Roman clergy. Historically they were the deacons and priests of diaconal and presbyteral “titles” (parishes) of Rome, while the cardinal bishops were bishops of little dioceses nearby. The College of Cardinals is still divided into … Continue reading
His Holiness of Our Lord Pope Benedict XVI has seen fit to name Archbishop Raymond Burke a Cardinal of Holy Church. The National Catholic Fishwrap is not very pleased. They won’t take the swipe directly. They use surrogates. Tom Roberts … Continue reading
From Spaceweather: SUNDIVING COMET: A newly-discovered comet is plunging toward the sun for a close encounter it probably will not survive. The comet is too deep in the sun’s glare for human eyes to pick out, but it is showing … Continue reading
Holy Church had some good news today. Do you have good news of your own? My good news includes the replacement of the Sabine electrical box, which was so eccentric that it was going to burst into flame at any … Continue reading
With a biretta tip to CatholicVote this is from Fr. Robert Sirico of Acton Institute. Find the original on The Detroit News. Tea party must define ideas Father Robert Sirico If the recent analysis by the New York Times on … Continue reading
Here is a snap shot of some of the places readers are coming from over the last few minutes. These are in some cases approximations. I also cut out vague references such as “United States”. Lake Mary, Florida Rootstown, Ohio … Continue reading
From the UK’s best Catholic weekly, The Catholic Herald comes this interested piece to which I add my usual E&C. The Catholic group in the Church of England’s General Synod has called for traditionalists to stay, claiming that they have … Continue reading
Anyone want to buy a black 32GB ATT iPhone 3GS with Apple Care still on it (until September 27, 2011)? It is in great condition. I have two cases for it, one dark blue, the other Say The Black and … Continue reading
Archbp. Burke released a statement on having been named Cardinal. From St. Louis Review: Statement by Cardinal-designate Raymond L. Burke on the announcement of the consistory for the creation of Cardinals. I am deeply humbled and honored by the announcement … Continue reading
What are your plans for the big feast day on Friday? Friday 22 October is the feast of Sts. Nunilo and Alodia were a pair of 9th c. virgin martyrs in Huesca, Spain. They were born to a Muslim father … Continue reading
From a seminarian: A brother seminarian and I recently attended one night of a parish mission of sorts led by a renowned Catholic musician. In one tangent mentioning the newly corrected translation of the Missal, he stated how the Mass … Continue reading