A prayer for a miracle: the sudden, complete and lasting obliteration of COVID-19
Search Fr. Z’s Blog
SHOPPING ONLINE? Please, come here first!
Your use of my Amazon link is a major part of my income. It helps to pay for insurance, groceries, everything. Please remember me when shopping online. Thanks in advance.
Try AmazonFresh Free Trial
Shop Amazon Gold Box - New Deals. Everyday
Shop Amazon Gift Cards - Instant Delivery or Free One-Day Shipping
Try Prime Discounted Monthly Offering
And you do need a Kindle! - HERE
Kindle Unlimited Membership Plans
About this blog…
“This blog is like a fusion of the Baroque ‘salon’ with its well-tuned harpsichord around which polite society gathered for entertainment and edification and, on the other hand, a Wild West “saloon” with its out-of-tune piano and swinging doors, where everyone has a gun and something to say. Nevertheless, we try to point our discussions back to what it is to be Catholic in this increasingly difficult age, to love God, and how to get to heaven.” – Fr. Z
Coat of Arms by D Burkart
CLICK and say your daily offerings!
Do you want to show some appreciation?
Do you have a faithful Catholic website that needs competent and reliable tech support?
YOUR RECENT COMMENTS
- JPCahill: In the illustrati on I love the pen behind the ear. A thousand or so years later we do the same thing. When not using a keyboard, anyway. As for the translatio n . . . um, oh dear. Seems...
- Semper Gumby: Benedict XVI: “Whe never countless people are forced to endure intolerabl e injustices and inequaliti es, how can we hope that the good of peace will be realized? The essent...
- Antonin: What happened to George Floyd had no justificat ion. Full stop. No excuses for that vile police officer should be given even tacitly. Even Rish Limnaugh agreed. The question is what to do...
- Charlotte Allen: Here goes on the first poem: Par tibi, Roma, nihil, cum sis prope tota ruina; quam magni fueris integra fracta doces. Longa tuos fastus aetas destruxit, et arces Caesaris et...
- roma247: I still believe that as the sinkhole widens, two main groups will stay strong, those who want Tradition and also those who converts from an evangelica l background and some charismati cs...
- BeautifulSavior: Interestin g! I kept Cardinal Caffarra speech at the last conference he attended, I was thinking about it this morning and I reread it. And now you post this. Same subject. Heaven...
- mysticalrose: I am less sanguine about the addition of charismati cs. First, because the piety of the charismati c renewal is grounded in emotivism rather than the “rat ional worship 221;...
- Sandy: Correct, Anita Moore. The Pentecosta l church in our county was ruled against by SCOTUS. I had hoped for a different outcome, to send a message to our governor! May the CA bishops develop a...
- Ave Maria: The two FSSP parishes in my state have both seen an increase not only in registered parishione rs but also in donations! I have relatives and friends at both who relay this informatio n....
- The Cobbler: Antonin, I can’ t speak for priests directly, but young men today are becoming more and more aware of the social forces that tear individual s and families apart (heh, like the...
- Nancy D: “That’s why universal acceptance is a red herring.” Even if Pope Benedict’s “retiremen t” had been valid, the election of Gorge Bergoglio to the Papacy is not valid. “ Whoever is against...
- WmHesch: Are the 2% of TLM attendees who support contracept ion the so-called “infiltrat ors” the conspiracy crowd keeps postulatin g?
- The Cobbler: The situation may actually be even better than that. What if I told you that any demographi c sinkhole is going to work against us, because without it, we will have all those mainstr...
- Andrew Saucci: Over the last few years, I’ve pretty much come to the same conclusion – the extraordin ary form will actually become the “ord inary̶ 1; form and the Novus Ordo...
- Antonin: Right now the TLM is a small slice of the overall Catholic population . They tend to be more motivated and committees to the faith. When and if it broadens to the wider Catholic populat...
- Jones: I’ve seen people comments about pro life rallies. Whose in there in the trenches with the Catholic 8217;s? The 4+ children having evangelica ls. Who’ s opposing them? Someti...
- xavier: Father, The second poem again in Catalan. I used some dialectal words to be closer to the Latin Més grat aquesta pèrdua dels meus èxits els Seus millor que sigui el diví pobre mentre jacent...
- Mariana2: Thanks, Father, for addressing this! Where else could one go to find non-hyster ical thinking about frightenin g things.
- xavier: Father, Just for fun,I translated the first poem into Catalan. It’s not a good one as I have my Latin-Cata lan dictionary stored somewhere so I used online resouces: Roma res sigui...
- Mulier Fortis: I have a very Catholic cat I can lend you…
- JonPatrick: One thing that might turn around the NO church or at least lessen the decline is for them to finally take seriously the homopredat or sex abuse scandal. Like issuing the report on...
- MarrakeshEspresso: Yes. I’m privileged to be seeing it right now around me in a small way, and it’s delightful and exhilarati ng. What I’m worried about is the response from On...
- ChrisP: Indeed, the demographi c sinkhole is probably doubling in size year on year. I am pleasantly surprised the NOM confession rate is as high as it is.
- Cicero_NOLA: The FSSP’s Missive has some additional numbers and analysis concerning the 18-39 year-old set of TLM attendees, including reasons for initially going (hint: not nostalgia) . https:/...
- jn: Please bear with the long comment 230; The thoughts noted below are based on: A) Benedict 8217;s declaratio n in Feb 2013: (Google ‘Dec laratio (11 feb 2013) Benedict XVI’ ) B)...
Fr. Z’s VOICEMAIL
Nota bene: I do not answer these numbers or this Skype address. You won't get me "live". I check for messages regularly.
020 8133 4535
Don’t rely on popes, bishops and priests.
“Who is going to save our Church? Not our bishops, not our priests and religious. It is up to you, the people. You have the minds, the eyes, and the ears to save the Church. Your mission is to see that your priests act like priests, your bishops act like bishops.”
- Fulton Sheen
Therefore, ACTIVATE YOUR CONFIRMATION and get to work!
Send Snail Mail to Fr. Z
“The modern habit of doing ceremonial things unceremoniously is no proof of humility; rather it proves the offender's inability to forget himself in the rite, and his readiness to spoil for every one else the proper pleasure of ritual.”
- C.S. Lewis
This blog has to earn its keep!
PLEASE subscribe if it is useful.
That way I have steady income I can plan on, and you wind up regularly on my list of benefactors for whom I pray and for whom I periodically say Holy Mass.
For a one time donation...
I set up a
CONTINUE TO GIVE
account, which functions rather like PayPal. Some of you use it. Here is a QCode you can use with your smart phones. Try it!
Also, to receive a link to donate via Continue To Give using your smart phone SEND MESSAGE:
4827563 TO: 715-803-4772 (USA)
Some donations also come through CHASE. That works well. I don't think they take any percentage as fees.
I was at this conference last year. I’ll probably go this year! That’s how enjoyable it was. I’ve marked my calendar.
As for Latin…
"But if, in any layman who is indeed imbued with literature, ignorance of the Latin language, which we can truly call the 'catholic' language, indicates a certain sluggishness in his love toward the Church, how much more fitting it is that each and every cleric should be adequately practiced and skilled in that language!" - Pius XI
"Let us realize that this remark of Cicero (Brutus 37, 140) can be in a certain way referred to [young lay people]: 'It is not so much a matter of distinction to know Latin as it is disgraceful not to know it.'" - St. John Paul II
- Reminder for posting comments
- 6 June – HOLY MASS (TLM) Saturday of Pentecost Octave – LIVE VIDEO: 1200h CDT (GMT/UTC -5)
- The longer we follow a false course, the farther we get from our goal, the harder it is to correct the error.
- The demographic sinkhole opening under the Church
- Of a Latin poem and the curse of mice
- PRIESTS: Are you available to take a “Gregorian Mass” intention? UPDATE
- UPDATE: Becket Fund and law firms team up with @MadisonDiocese to OPEN UP CHURCHES
- Fr. Z’s Kitchen: Wherein I received a message from on high about supper
- Look! Up in the sky! ISS and Crew Dragon and mini rant.
- 5 June – HOLY MASS (TLM) Friday of Pentecost Octave – LIVE VIDEO: 1200h CDT (GMT/UTC -5)
- The Mazza Hypothesis: Benedict resigned as Bishop of Rome but not Vicar of Christ. Wherein Fr. Z ponders with a heavy heart.
- 4 June – HOLY MASS (TLM) Thursday of Pentecost Octave & Exorcism – LIVE VIDEO: 1200h CDT (GMT/UTC -5)
- Fr. Z’s VOICEMAIL! Attention PITTSBURGH! And – ASK FATHER: What to do while watching live streamed Mass?
- “Katonda!” The Feast of St Charles Lwanga, Martyr. Perhaps the best patron saint for LGBT
- Fr. Jonathan Robinson, CO – R.I.P.
- Your Good News
- 3 June – HOLY MASS (TLM) Ember Wednesday of Pentecost Octave – LIVE VIDEO: 1200h CDT (GMT/UTC -5)
- Archbp. Rodi of Mobile to force priests to distribute Communion as he wants, or priests can’t say Mass publicly
- Double standard from @JamesMartinSJ
- ACTION ITEM! URGENT PRAYER SUGGESTION! Archbp. Carroll’s “Prayer for Government”
- POTUS and FLOTUS at the National Shrine of St. John Paul II
- WDTPRS – Pentecost Tuesday: Wherein Fr. Z performs a liturgical dance
- 2 June – HOLY MASS (TLM) Tuesday of Pentecost Octave – LIVE VIDEO: 1200h CDT (GMT/UTC -5)
- Octave of Pentecost PODCAzTs
- Good podcast about Gregorian Chant in a parish setting
- 1 June – HOLY MASS (TLM) Monday of Pentecost Octave – LIVE VIDEO: 1200h CDT (GMT/UTC -5)
- Your Sunday Pentecost 2020 Sermon Notes – VIDEO
- The priest’s traditional Vesting Prayers – Wherein Fr. Z rants
- #LaunchAmerica SUCCESS!
- 30 May – St. Joan of Arc, Virgin: Martyrology, Movies, and Marvelous reading
Let us pray…
Grant unto thy Church, we beseech Thee, O merciful God, that She, being gathered together by the Holy Ghost, may be in no wise troubled by attack from her foes. O God, who by sin art offended and by penance pacified, mercifully regard the prayers of Thy people making supplication unto Thee,and turn away the scourges of Thine anger which we deserve for our sins. Almighty and Everlasting God, in whose Hand are the power and the government of every realm: look down upon and help the Christian people that the heathen nations who trust in the fierceness of their own might may be crushed by the power of thine Arm. Through our Lord Jesus Christ, Thy Son, who liveth and reigneth with Thee in the unity of the Holy Ghost, God, world without end. R. Amen.
Yes, Fr. Z is taking ads…
Because it matters what children read…
Be a “Zed-Head”!
I carry one of these super-strong rosaries in my spare mag pouch! The Swiss Guards have them too!
My "challenge coin" for my 25th anniversary of ordination in 2016.
Want one? I do exchanges with military and LEOs, etc. and you can make a donation.
PLEASE RESPOND. Pretty pleeeease?Loading ...
Please use my links when shopping! I depend on your help.
WDTPRS POLLLoading ...
“Rigid”? Pfffft. “Faithful!” No priest’s desk or kitchen is complete without one, for young, old, and priests in general.
Fr. Z’s stuff is everywhere
Help support Fr. Z’s Gospel of Life work at no cost to you. Do you need a Real Estate Agent? Calling these people is the FIRST thing you should do!
GREAT causes to support
Help Monks in Wyoming (coffee – UPDATED LINK) and Norcia (beer) and the wonderful "Soap Sisters" of Summit, NJ!
Please follow me on Twitter!
If you travel internationally, this is a super useful gizmo for your mobile internet data. I use one. If you get one through my link, I get data rewards.
Monthly Archives: May 2016
Busy day. Today I got my basic shopping done for some clerical things and a couple books. We met for lunch a priest who teaches in one of the Roman schools. The owner of the restaurant is from Amatrice. On … Continue reading
The usual breakfast. The Roman cornetto (roll) is not duplicated anywhere else. Click the wavy flag to help me buy breakfast tomorrow, too! (And many thanks to those who have donated. Mass on Friday for my benefactors.) We went to … Continue reading
From a reader… QUAERITUR: When I attend Mass in the Ordinary Form, the priest sometimes illicitly modifies the texts or even makes up his own prayers. Is it sinful for me to silently pray along with the priest or to answer “amen”? Does … Continue reading
Once back in the City, a switch is thrown in my head and it is as if I never left. I made a run to Gammarelli to do some vestment business, but my guy wasn’t there. I’ll have to go … Continue reading
Do you have some good news to share with the readership? For my part… I’m in Rome.
I’m off! It is nice to have visual verification that your bag is going with you. I was in a bit of a hurry at the end of packing. I had carefully put out everything that had to go, except … Continue reading
This morning I had several calls from someone (clearly from India) purporting to be from “technical support”, who started asked stupidly invasive questions. Friends, legitimate tech support for your products does NOT call you out of the blue and tell you … Continue reading
From a reader… QUAERITUR: I hope you are doing well! First, I want to thank you for your blog. Your writings have been very educational and inspirational. I’m hoping you might share your thoughts on an example that came up during a discussion … Continue reading
From a reader… QUAERITUR: Father, Is it permissible for a priest to instead of giving a homily at a Sunday Mass, “Open up that time to the congregation for a Q&A on any topics they would like to discuss?” I … Continue reading
Was there a good point or two in the sermon you heard for your Sunday Mass of obligation? I’ll bet some of you heard some odd things about the Trinity. Here is a little Trinity Sunday question for you. In … Continue reading
There has been a bit of a dust up in the last days about the Third Secret of Fatima. Was the whole of the Third Secret truly released? Some say that it wasn’t. One blog recently posted some claims about … Continue reading
This is the Postcommunio of the Feast of the Most Holy Trinity in the 1962MR. There is a pleasant rhyme herein of susceptio and confessio, three syllable words preceded by words of four syllables and both deserving a little closer inspectio. POST COMMUNION (2002MR): … Continue reading
First and foremost, I am very grateful for the monthly donations which have come in since the beginning of May. I have been behind the eight-ball for quite a while and, hence, I haven’t been updating the sidebar where I usually … Continue reading
ORIGINAL Published 11 May 2016 First, where is a good herald when you need him? I want to do a decent version of my coat-of-arms (I will revert to my family’s which is part of the one I was using). … Continue reading
This morning early I received an SMS: “Parolin announces ‘clarification’ of CIC by which no diocesan institute of religious can be erected validly without Vatican OK.” “Gosh!”, or words to that effect, “So much for the collegiality and decentralization that … Continue reading