Search Fr. Z’s Blog
SHOPPING ONLINE? Please, always come here first!
I had to change the way that people go to amazon to buy things because... you know... why make it easy?. So, just click the link below. Once you're in, you're good to shop.
Try AmazonFresh Free Trial
Shop Amazon Gold Box - New Deals. Everyday
Shop Amazon Gift Cards - Instant Delivery or Free One-Day Shipping
Try Prime Discounted Monthly Offering
And you do need a Kindle! - HERE
Kindle Unlimited Membership Plans
About this blog…
“This blog is like a fusion of the Baroque ‘salon’ with its well-tuned harpsichord around which polite society gathered for entertainment and edification and, on the other hand, a Wild West “saloon” with its out-of-tune piano and swinging doors, where everyone has a gun and something to say. Nevertheless, we try to point our discussions back to what it is to be Catholic in this increasingly difficult age, to love God, and how to get to heaven.” – Fr. Z
Coat of Arms by D Burkart
Do you want to show some appreciation?
Don’t rely on popes, bishops and priests.
“Who is going to save our Church? Not our bishops, not our priests and religious. It is up to you, the people. You have the minds, the eyes, and the ears to save the Church. Your mission is to see that your priests act like priests, your bishops act like bishops.”
- Fulton Sheen
Therefore, ACTIVATE YOUR CONFIRMATION and get to work!
Send Snail Mail to Fr. Z
Beautiful, heirloom quality Rosaries
Fr. Z’s Blog is a Founding Member of…
“The modern habit of doing ceremonial things unceremoniously is no proof of humility; rather it proves the offender's inability to forget himself in the rite, and his readiness to spoil for every one else the proper pleasure of ritual.”
- C.S. Lewis
This blog has to earn its keep!
PLEASE subscribe if it is useful.
That way I have steady income I can plan on, and you wind up regularly on my list of benefactors for whom I pray and for whom I periodically say Holy Mass.
For a one time donation...
I set up a
CONTINUE TO GIVE
account, which functions rather like PayPal. Some of you use it. Here is a QCode you can use with your smart phones. Try it!
Also, to receive a link to donate via Continue To Give using your smart phone SEND MESSAGE:
4827563 TO: 715-803-4772 (USA)
Some donations also come through CHASE. That works well. I don't think they take any percentage as fees.
2020 TLM Pilgrimage to the Holy Land
YOUR RECENT COMMENTS
- NBW: The pics look very eerie. The altar looks so empty and void of Christ.
- Mother Seton: At our FSSP parish, Father gave an amazing sermon on Our Lady of Akita and the recent visitation Sister Agnes had at the start of the Synod. Praying. Even harder than before. Our...
- Mother Seton: @Mulieribu s, was it Fr G? I attend the parish with the other two Fr G’s in CO. This sounds like an amazing sermon.
- matt from az: An additional thought. Everyone—C atholic or not—is tired of the Vatican running PR campaigns and avoiding responsibi lity. The hierarchy is worse than a poorly raised teenager when...
- matt from az: Few things would help restore public faith in the Church as public degradatio n of reprobate clergy. “Blessed are they that hunger and thirst after justice: for they shall have their...
- robtbrown: Irresistib ly beautiful. I did not know that Edward Elgar was a Catholic
- BrionyB: It is useful to know about the custom of the priest beginning to say the absolution before the penitent has finished their Act of Contrition . The first time this happened to me, I didn&...
- Thomas S: Fr. Z, Does PERFECT contrition require the absence of fear of hell, or can attrition coexist with perfect contrition ? Fr. Finigan 217;s explanatio n seemed to indicate the fear of...
- zeremoniar: Father, I agree about the altar candles, but one cannot really say anything against the altar crucifix, apart from that it is not usual in the Roman basilicas. Even in the traditiona l...
- PostCatholic: Msgr Kevin Farrell was already a Very Big Wig in the Pastoral Center in the 1980’ ;s when I was seminarian , ten-plus years before McCarrick ever got off the train in Washing...
- JanetL: I always add a Saint Michael prayer for the integrity of the papacy and the spiritual protection of the Holy Father.
- Elizabeth D: I found that this Nov 5 Zenit article explains certain changes at St John Lateran relevant to some of these things. https://ze nit.org/ar ticles/pop e-francis- to-celebra te-mass...
- Fr Martin Fox: I chose to focus on the courage of the seven brothers in Maccabees, which was grounded in their certitude about the Resurrecti on. I explained a little about Resurrecti on, the final...
- roma247: @Dan… ;I had the same experience just a few weeks ago and I couldnR 17;t have put it better. It’s as if holiness is in the air you breathe when you enter the precincts of the...
- Kerry: Phillip Stopford, especially Hermanus Contractus ’ Ave Regina Caelorum. Here: https://ph ilipstopfo rd.com/vid eos/ Benedictum sit nomen Domini Nostri Jesu Christi.
- Grabski: Pope Benedict, pray for us
- Louis Mountbatten: Displace and utterly discharge what is unholy from the holy place, along with all its malefactor ing practition ers.
- Lunchbox catholic: Isn’ t that the issue? Corruption is so deepseated at the heart of the Vatican and church that once anyones does anything that might expose it, the skeletons come out and...
- karmato: I never heard a vocal rendition of this. WOW
- Bryan D. Boyle: MWindsor: no, just need a hotspot to join. HRO has them, or a lot of other places (almost too many)̷ 0;.but the ones from HRO work just fine.
- Ferretti: Oops. Veiling.
- Ferretti: I’m coming in late to this conversati on, but I’d suggest berets – it’s my favorite headgear for either OF or EF. Or grocery shopping. They come in winter or...
- JARay: This is truly beautiful music. I would question the quality of the recording but then it was not made in a recording studio. It is music which I know very well and have loved for many years....
- Semper Gumby: AA Cunningham : robtbrown commented once that the Abbot of Clear Creek Abbey is a former Marine. Fr. James Jackson wrote “Not hing Superfluou s.” Fr. Daniel Nolan was...
- jjbulano: To all Marines, past, present and future, thank you for your commitment and sacrifice. To my niecesR 17; husbands who are former Marines – John and Jan – thank you for your...
CLICK and say your daily offerings!
- @FatherTF good explanation of “Perfect Contrition”
- BEER OPPORTUNITY from the traditional Benedictine Monks of Norcia! Think: Thanksgiving and gifts
- Veterans Day & Remembrance Day
- Your Sunday Sermon Notes
- ACTION ITEM: Feedback Project
- Rome: Mass at St. John Lateran for Dedication – wierd
- Happy 244th Birthday USMC!
- @DouthatNYT interviews Card. Burke
- WDTPRS: Dedication of St. John Lateran
- CQ CQ CQ Ham Radio Saturday: ZedNet revived
- Wherein Fr. Z maps weird things, connects dots, rants a lot, and offers an ACTION ITEM!
- UPDATED: United Nations published environment, population control children’s book called “Pachamama”
- ASK FATHER: I’ve lost all desire and motivation to pray, fast, etc. It all seems so pointless.
- WDTPRS – 32nd Ordinary Sunday: Your mission as a Christian
- Earthquake near Rome
- ASK FATHER: Gaining indulgences and “the Pope’s intentions”. Prayer for the Pope, or for what the Pope designates?
- ASK FATHER: Should I accept an invitation to be installed as an acolyte?
- LATIN MASS MADNESS!!!!
- Archbp. Viganò speaks: “We are in the grip of a religious chaos of gigantic proportion….” – a “satanic plan”
- ASK FATHER: For Communion can I chose to go only to the priest and not the lay ministers?
- Wherein Austen Ivereigh channels his inner Hillary
- FISHWRAP: Piteous tirade about the people who attend the Traditional Latin Mass
- QUINQUENNIUM ALERT – Robert Card. Sarah
- Your Good News
- Chinese Catholics barricade themselves in church to prevent its destruction
- Your Sunday Sermon Notes
- VIDEO – Meet the guy who boosted and “tiberized” Pachamama and “Pachamama meets the God of Surprises”
- New GREEN vestments from “Sacra Domus Aurea”
- The numbers are growing and the “gravitational pull” is getting stronger
- WDTPRS – 31st Ordinary Sunday: RUN! RUN! RUN!
Let us pray…
Grant unto thy Church, we beseech Thee, O merciful God, that She, being gathered together by the Holy Ghost, may be in no wise troubled by attack from her foes. O God, who by sin art offended and by penance pacified, mercifully regard the prayers of Thy people making supplication unto Thee,and turn away the scourges of Thine anger which we deserve for our sins. Almighty and Everlasting God, in whose Hand are the power and the government of every realm: look down upon and help the Christian people that the heathen nations who trust in the fierceness of their own might may be crushed by the power of thine Arm. Through our Lord Jesus Christ, Thy Son, who liveth and reigneth with Thee in the unity of the Holy Ghost, God, world without end. R. Amen.
Yes, Fr. Z is taking ads…
Because it matters what children read…
Be a “Zed-Head”!
I carry one of these super-strong rosaries in my spare mag pouch! The Swiss Guards have them too!
My "challenge coin" for my 25th anniversary of ordination in 2016.
Want one? I do exchanges with military and LEOs, etc. and you can make a donation.
PLEASE RESPOND. Pretty pleeeease?Loading ...
WDTPRS POLLLoading ...
“Rigid”? Pfffft. “Faithful!” No priest’s desk or kitchen is complete without one, for young, old, and priests in general.
Fr. Z’s stuff is everywhere
Help support Fr. Z’s Gospel of Life work at no cost to you. Do you need a Real Estate Agent? Calling these people is the FIRST thing you should do!
GREAT causes to support
Help Monks in Wyoming (coffee – UPDATED LINK) and Norcia (beer) and the wonderful "Soap Sisters" of Summit, NJ!
Please follow me on Twitter!
If you travel internationally, this is a super useful gizmo for your mobile internet data. I use one. If you get one through my link, I get data rewards.
Monthly Archives: April 2016
Here is this week’s Collect, for the 6th Sunday of Easter in the Ordinary Form: Fac nos, omnipotens Deus, hos laetitiae dies, quos in honorem Domini resurgentis exsequimur, affectu sedulo celebrare, ut quod recordatione percurrimus semper in opere teneamus. This … Continue reading
I spotted a cool article at CNS about four Italian sisters who helped to map a half million stars for the Vatican’s part in a vast mapping project. Mapping with the stars: Nuns instrumental in Vatican celestial survey VATICAN CITY … Continue reading
At my home parish of St. Agnes in St. Paul, MN, there are orchestral Masses (Mozart, Schubert, Haydn, Beethoven, etc.) on 30 Sundays of the year, along with Gregorian chant Propers. This year they added a Mass to the repertory. … Continue reading
UPDATE: All proceeds from the CD will go to building projects that the nuns have. HELP THEM BUILD! At CRUX there is a piece about the sisters. Check it out. […] Many of the nuns, ranging in age from 18 … Continue reading
A weasel can chew through a cable and knock out a particle accelerator, but I can’t chew through an egg salad sandwich. I had what might be called a “dental emergency”. I knocked off the distal cusp of a mandibular molar. Thus, pulling … Continue reading
“Even if the Pope were Satan incarnate, we ought not to raise up our heads against him” – St. Catherine of Siena
Today is the – in the post-Conciliar, modern, non-traditional – Ordinary Form – Novus Ordo Calendar – Feast of St. Catherine of Siena, Patroness of Europe and named by Paul VI as Doctor of the Church. Thus, her life and … Continue reading
UPDATE: Spaemann’s interview is now in English. HERE We are all suffering from Amoris defatigatio, I know. But as the days and weeks pile up in the wake of Pope Francis Post-Synodal Apostolic Exhortation, and many and varying accounts and interpretations of … Continue reading
I am back at The Cupboard Under The Stairs again after my exile for reasons of the total power down of the building for a few days. The electricity is flowing, but it is still dark in here. But that’s another … Continue reading
Today is the Dies Natalis of St. Gianna Beretta Molla (+28 April 1962 at 39 years of age). That is to say that St. Gianna died and was born into heaven today (thus, “birthday… dies natalis”). I have posted this before, … Continue reading
I’m not sure who Katy Perry is, though I have heard the name. I think she may be a pop tart. In any event, here is a strange story about her and some nuns in a property dispute. And it … Continue reading
From History… On this day in 4977 B.C., the universe is created, according to German mathematician and astronomer Johannes Kepler, considered a founder of modern science. Kepler is best known for his theories explaining the motion of planets. Kepler was … Continue reading
In this PODCAzT I read for you the open letter by Bishop Athanasius Schneider, Auxiliary Bishop of the Archdiocese of St Mary in Astana, Kazakhstan. It seems that it was originally released in Italian, but it was subsequently translated into … Continue reading
On the way to my ride home. Delta is being it’s usual pokey self, so there was more time for supper. It was time for Chinese food in Queens. Dan dan noodles. Xiao Long Bao… the stuff of dreams. … Continue reading
Voice of the Family has an approved English translation of Bp. Athanasius Schneider’s comments on Amoris Laetitia. HERE It is important that everyone read this, agree or not. He adds an important perspective. I have already quoted from one part in … Continue reading