SHOPPING ONLINE? Please, come here first!
Your support is important. Thanks in advance.
To donate monthly via Continue To Give use your phone's camera to activate the Q code or text 4827563 to 715-803-4772 (US) for a link.
For Zelle and Chase, etc., use
frz AT wdtprs DOT com.
About this blog…
“This blog is like a fusion of the Baroque ‘salon’ with its well-tuned harpsichord around which polite society gathered for entertainment and edification and, on the other hand, a Wild West “saloon” with its out-of-tune piano and swinging doors, where everyone has a gun and something to say. Nevertheless, we try to point our discussions back to what it is to be Catholic in this increasingly difficult age, to love God, and how to get to heaven.” – Fr. Z
Coat of Arms by D Burkart
“I’m Fr. Z and I warmly endorse this message!”
Wonderful about St. Joseph! “Terror of Demons”
ABORTION PILL RESCUE NETWORK
- The most evident mark of God’s anger and the most terrible castigation He can inflict upon the world are manifested when He permits His people to fall into the hands of clerics who are priests more in name than in deed, priests who practice the cruelty of ravening wolves rather than the charity and affection of devoted shepherds.
St. John Eudes
I am delighted to have been approved as an affiliate of Chess.com and House of Staunton.
Use FATHERZ10 at checkout for 10% off
Donate using VENMO
GREAT BEER from Traditional Benedictine Monks in Italy
CLICK and say your daily offerings!
Do you want to show some appreciation?
Do you have a faithful Catholic website that needs competent and reliable tech support?
NEW OPPORTUNITY – 10% off with code: FATHERZ10
Fr. Z’s VOICEMAIL
Nota bene: I do not answer these numbers or this Skype address. You won't get me "live". I check for messages regularly.
020 8133 4535
YOUR RECENT COMMENTS
- Kathleen10 on ROME 23/05 – Day 29: Monday in the OCTAVE OF PENTECOST: “Those are happy and fast rondini! I can see why you like them, but I do wonder about your despising…”
- monstrance on Your Sunday Sermon Notes – Pentecost Sunday 2023: “Great news at our TLM diocesan parish. Getting so busy that our Great Bishop will be allowing at least one…”
- Not on ROME 23/05 – Day 28: Pentecost Sunday: “I could never do the snails. As a child, I would see the men sitting in a circle, drinking wine…”
- maternalView on ROME 23/05 – Day 29: Monday in the OCTAVE OF PENTECOST: “I can believe that Paul IV wept over the end of the Octave of Pentecost. It is the thinking of…”
- marymargaretmiller on ROME 23/05 – Day 29: Monday in the OCTAVE OF PENTECOST: “Compuserve! That’s a blast from the past. I will pray for a miracle for your finances, Father. Also, praying for…”
- PatS on ROME 23/05 – Day 29: Monday in the OCTAVE OF PENTECOST: “” father of a family who, in his decisions or waffles, allows his family to fall apart when he might…”
- OssaSola on This might provoke a Snicker or two.: “Every time I see this sort of post my mind reels and I think, “This must be how Archbishop LeFebvre…”
- mburduck on 26 May 1991: 32nd anniversary of ordination: “Happy Anniversary, Father. You were ordained on my birthday, too, which reminds me I’m getting old…. For the record, I…”
- FRLBJ on ROME 23/05 – Day 27: I can’t help it.: “We had the 1954 Vigil of Pentecost liturgy-3 hours long. The 6 prophecies were sung before the Holy Mass began.…”
- TheCavalierHatherly on WDTPRS – Pentecost Sunday: Holy Church’s fabric, the warp and the weft: ““Sacramentum translates Greek mysterion. Sacramentum and Latin mysterium are often interchangeable in liturgical texts.” I often ponder whether or not…”
- ordovirginum on ROME 23/05 – Day 28: Pentecost Sunday: “Will pray for your mother, Fr Z.”
- maternalView on ROME 23/05 – Day 28: Pentecost Sunday: “Even the carpet on the altar is gorgeous.”
- maternalView on Your Sunday Sermon Notes – Pentecost Sunday 2023: “I was caught off guard today. The Vetus Ordo I thought I was attending turned out to be Novus Ordo…”
- palestrinadei on Your Sunday Sermon Notes – Pentecost Sunday 2023: “Father gave us another reminder of the special election this summer and that voting incorrectly or omitting is a serious…”
- Gregg the Obscure on ROME 23/05 – Day 28: Pentecost Sunday: “When the new rector arrived in 2021, Sunday afternoon already included confessions from 1700 until all were heard and Mass…”
Books which you must have.
This REALLY helps! And it’s great coffee (and tea)
I use this when I travel both in these USA and abroad. Very useful. Fast enough for Zoom. I connect my DMR (ham radio) through it. If you use my link, they give me more data. A GREAT back up.
Don’t rely on popes, bishops and priests.
“He [Satan] will set up a counter-Church which will be the ape of the Church because, he the devil, is the ape of God. It will have all the notes and characteristics of the Church, but in reverse and emptied of its divine content. It will be a mystical body of the anti-Christ that will in all externals resemble the mystical body of Christ. In desperate need for God, whom he nevertheless refuses to adore, modern man in his loneliness and frustration will hunger more and more for membership in a community that will give him enlargement of purpose, but at the cost of losing himself in some vague collectivity.”
“Who is going to save our Church? Not our bishops, not our priests and religious. It is up to you, the people. You have the minds, the eyes, and the ears to save the Church. Your mission is to see that your priests act like priests, your bishops act like bishops.”
- Fulton Sheen
Therefore, ACTIVATE YOUR CONFIRMATION and get to work!
Send Snail Mail to Fr. ZFr John Zuhlsdorf
Tridentine Mass Society of Madison
733 Struck St.
PO BOX 44603
Madison, WI 53744-4603
For email HERE
- “The modern habit of doing ceremonial things unceremoniously is no proof of humility; rather it proves the offender's inability to forget himself in the rite, and his readiness to spoil for every one else the proper pleasure of ritual.”
- C.S. Lewis
This blog has to earn its keep!
PLEASE subscribe via PayPal if it is useful.
That way I have steady income I can plan on, and you wind up regularly on my list of benefactors for whom I pray and for whom I periodically say Holy Mass.
In view of the rapidly changing challenges I now face, I would like to add more $10/month subscribers. Will you please help?
For a one time donation...
As for Latin…
"But if, in any layman who is indeed imbued with literature, ignorance of the Latin language, which we can truly call the 'catholic' language, indicates a certain sluggishness in his love toward the Church, how much more fitting it is that each and every cleric should be adequately practiced and skilled in that language!" - Pius XI
"Let us realize that this remark of Cicero (Brutus 37, 140) can be in a certain way referred to [young lay people]: 'It is not so much a matter of distinction to know Latin as it is disgraceful not to know it.'" - St. John Paul II
- ROME 23/05 – Day 30: Tuesday in the OCTAVE OF PENTECOST
- WDTPRS – Pentecost Monday: from bondage, freedom – from anxiety, peace
- ROME 23/05 – Day 29: Monday in the OCTAVE OF PENTECOST
- ROME 23/05 – Day 28: Pentecost Sunday
- WDTPRS – Pentecost Sunday: Holy Church’s fabric, the warp and the weft
- Your Sunday Sermon Notes – Pentecost Sunday 2023
- ROME 23/05 – Day 27: I can’t help it.
- 25 May 2023: Litany of St. Philip Neri and Prayer of Card. Baronio – VIDEO
- “Oh people will come, Reverend Mother. People will most definitely come….”
- ROME 23/05 – Day 26: Truly precious
- WDTPRS: Mass Prayers “Pro seipso sacerdote – For the priest himself” (1962MR)
- 26 May 1991: 32nd anniversary of ordination
- 23 May 2023 – Reinstallation of St. Philip Neri’s altarpiece – VIDEO
- From “The Private Diary of Bishop F. Atticus McButterpants” – 23-05-21 – Cufflinks
- ROME 23/05 – Day 25: Picture show
- From “The Private Diary of Bishop F. Atticus McButterpants” – 23-05-20 – “Breakout” session
- This might provoke a Snicker or two.
- A good point in Card. Burke’s book on when Communion should be denied
- OMNIUM GATHERUM: TLM pilgrimage, Music, Miracle sought
- ROME 23/05 – Day 24: Hoofing it and blossoms
- Laus Deo! Great news from Gower Abbey in Missouri
- Chicago Alderman to Card. Cupich: FREE THE SHRINE!
- ROME 23/05 – Day 23: Purple, Pizza and Puzzle
- ROME 23/05 – Day 22: Banns and bans
- ACTION ITEM! New Roman vestments for the parish – UPDATES – Starting to collect the pledges.
- Your Sunday Sermon Notes – 6th Sunday after Easter, Sunday after Ascension (N.O.: 7th of) 2023
- ROME 23/05 – Day 20: It’s the little things.
- Bad floods in Italy! A priest. A book. A bridge.
- ASK FATHER: After being away for years, I went to confession but I forgot something.
- 20 May – The “Golden Girl” of Ostia, St. Aurea and a link with St. Augustine’s mom, Monnica
Let us pray…
Grant unto thy Church, we beseech Thee, O merciful God, that She, being gathered together by the Holy Ghost, may be in no wise troubled by attack from her foes. O God, who by sin art offended and by penance pacified, mercifully regard the prayers of Thy people making supplication unto Thee,and turn away the scourges of Thine anger which we deserve for our sins. Almighty and Everlasting God, in whose Hand are the power and the government of every realm: look down upon and help the Christian people that the heathen nations who trust in the fierceness of their own might may be crushed by the power of thine Arm. Through our Lord Jesus Christ, Thy Son, who liveth and reigneth with Thee in the unity of the Holy Ghost, God, world without end. R. Amen.
Be a “Zed-Head”!
My "challenge coin" for my 25th anniversary of ordination in 2016.
Want one? I do exchanges with military and LEOs, etc.
PLEASE RESPOND. Pretty pleeeease?Loading ...
This is really useful when travelling… and also when you aren’t and you need backup internet NOW! I use this for my DMR “Zednet” hotspot when I’m mobile. It’s a ham radio thing.
If you travel internationally, this is a super useful gizmo for your mobile internet data. I use one. If you get one through my link, I get data rewards.
Please use my links when shopping! I depend on your help.
WDTPRS POLLLoading ...
Fr. Z’s stuff is everywhere
Help support Fr. Z’s Gospel of Life work at no cost to you. Do you need a Real Estate Agent? Calling these people is the FIRST thing you should do!
GREAT causes to support
Monthly Archives: June 2016
MADISON 1 July: Pontifical Mass at Throne for Suffering and Persecuted Christians Around the Globe
UPDATE: I’ll pass this along… From the Chancellor of the Diocese of Madison: With this email I convey the dispensation of the Most Rev. Robert C. Morlino, Bishop of Madison, granted to any of those who assist piously in the … Read More
Of Islamic Terror, Anniversaries and You
Yesterday, the Vigil of Peter and Paul, was the 2nd anniversary of ISIS (which Pres. Obama – what a guy – called the “JV team”) declaring a “caliphate”. Dates are important to Christians. Dates are important to Islamic terrorists. They … Read More
SSPX Communique: We do “not seek ‘primarily’ a canonical recognition”
A Communique from the SSPX’s chief, Bp. Bernard Fellay, with my now oft-imitated, legendary treatment: At the conclusion of the meeting of the major superiors of the Society of Saint Pius X that was held in Switzerland, from June 25 to … Read More
Wherein Pope Francis wears a maniple and kisses the foot of his predecessor
From a reader… I have been watching the Holy Father offer Mass for the feast of St. Peter and St. Paul. It appears that he is wearing a maniple! HERE I first notice it at 31:32. Okay… let’s have a look. … Read More
28 June – Vigil of Sts. Peter and Paul: Firm upon the Rock of Apostolic Faith
During this Fortnight For Freedom we observe (not celebrate!) the Vigil of the Feast of Sts. Peter and Paul. Vigils in the liturgical calendar are not just reminders that tomorrow is a feast. They are also reminders to prepare for the … Read More
VIDEO – Nigel Farage, who spearheaded Brexit, addressed European Parliament
You might find this interesting. Nigel Farage, who spearheaded Brexit, addressed European Parliament. Below is part of the transcript Farage’s speech to the European Parliament on 28 June (FULL HERE): Isn’t it funny? When I came here 17 years ago … Read More
Video of a 1st Mass in 1954
One of you kind readers sent me a link to a video of the 1st Mass on Trinity Sunday in 1954 of Fr. Gerald Coates. The video was posted by the Tower Convent School (in West Sussex, founded in 1903 by … Read More
The assault on religious liberty continued today at SCOTUS
The assault on religious liberty, indeed on the first two Amendments, continues today with another SCOTUS decision. From LifeSite: Just one day after issuing a major ruling striking down a portion of a pro-life law in Texas saving thousands of babies … Read More
Benedict XVI’s address for his 65th anniversay, Francis’ response
Benedict XVI, cent’anni, doesn’t appear in public very often. He just gave his first public address since his resignation in the Sala Clementina (alas, not from the central, raised chair). Benedict appeared on the occasion of his 65th anniversary of ordination to … Read More
Quotes from Justice Thomas’ dissent in WHOLE WOMAN’S HEALTH v. HELLERSTEDT
Justice Clarence Thomas dissented today. In his dissent to the SCOTUS majority opinion in WHOLE WOMAN’S HEALTH v. HELLERSTEDT Thomas wrote about the false principles they are using, and have been using. Here are a few excerpts from his 16 … Read More
“Keep calm and carry on!”
I enjoyed my visits to Tokyo immensely. Especially fun was coming up with captions for the public safety posters in the subway. For example: Not to be outdone, LA has this safety video. Note that the other passenger looks down … Read More
Another papal trip, another papal presser, another papal kerfuffle
The usual unusual suspects are over the moon that Pope Francis made comments about “gays” (I detest the twisting of that once fine word) where else but on an airplane. Other suspects are shredding their garments. Frankly, this is much … Read More
REQUEST FOR INFO: Mass Cards
From a reader… which I am turning over to the readership! QUAERITUR: Whenever someone passes away, I obviously get them a Mass card. What’s weird is lately rectories do not have them anymore. I understand having a mass said for … Read More
Your Sunday Sermon Notes
Was there a good point in the sermon you heard for your Mass of Sunday obligation? Let us know. In the EF, in reference to the effectiveness of God’s blessings, I spoke of Holy Water. In the OF, I also … Read More
JUST TOO COOL! “Beating of the Bounds!”
This is for your Just Too Cool file. My friend and a commentator here, Fr. Martin Fox has on his blog a post about starting the custom of the “Beating of the Bounds”. In times past, around Ascension or the Rogation … Read More
“Let the Supreme Court send bishops and priests to jail … the Church cannot go against the law of our Lord Jesus Christ.”
Mexican Catholics know something about persecution. From LifeSite: Mexican bishop and his clergy: We will go to jail rather than bless gay ‘marriages’ June 25, 2015 (LifeSiteNews) – Following a declaration by the Mexican Supreme Court nullifying state laws prohibiting … Read More
CQ CQ CQ #HamRadio Saturday: Summer Field Day – UPDATED
It is Field Day today. Alas, I am not out there. I my try to get out to my usual outdoor spot, the cemetery on the hill above the parish. It is really high and the denizens don’t mind. And it … Read More
A priest’s plea: “Please, Holy Father: Enough”
My friend Msgr. Charles Pope has a piece at the National Catholic Register which echoes what I have heard and read from many priests. He is as vexed as many priests about some off-the-cuff remarks made by His Holiness the Pope … Read More
A black hole shreds a star
 Unto the end, for the presses [gittith]: a psalm of David.  O Lord our Lord, how admirable is thy name in the whole earth! For thy magnificence is elevated above the heavens.  Out of the mouth of … Read More
New Star Trek series for TV in 2017
Who knew about this? I didn’t. This seems symptomatic of a lot of screen entertainment these days: revivals and sequels, not much that is wholly new. I suppose the flicks are so expensive to produce now that they don’t want … Read More