The last time I was in Phoenix I didn’t have the chance to meet Fr. John Lankeit, rector of the Cathedral of Sts. Simon and Jude (a great feast day for another reason). I have written about him before HERE.
Here is a sermon from this last Sunday. This guy’s got game. Watch how he deals with his theme.
He moves from how the enemies of the Lord worked together against Him, to how modern day enemies of marriage work together in deliberate manipulation and obfuscation about marriage and the family.
Some bullet points:
- “What about paying taxes?” and “Do you believe in ‘gay’ marriage?”
- “Whose image is on this coin?” and “What is marriage?”
- The Lord exposes their maneuver to unmask his attackers.
- What belongs to the world? What belongs to God?
- “Whose image and inscription is on the coin?”
- “Whose image in the human person?” God’s image in in man, created male and female.
- Whose inscription is in the human person?” “But this shall be the covenant that I will make with the house of Israel, after those days, saith the Lord: I will give my law in their bowels, and I will write it in their heart: and I will be their God, and they shall be my people.” Jeremiah, 31:33
- Juxtapose… “I identify as…” v. “I am.”
- Dissent in the Church today centers on sex, because it concerns who we are and whose we are.
- Hence, marriage and the family, as an icon of the Trinity, are going to be attacked by the Devil.
- This is the decisive battle of our time.
- So, we learn from the unscrupulous attack on Jesus, how to deal with the unscrupulous attacks on the family and marriage.
- Chesterton said, “The Christian ideal has not been tried and found wanting. It has been found difficult; and left untried.”
May I suggest that you, the readership, spread this sermon around?