VIDEO: This explains the Church in Germany

Germany seems to be the caput malorum omnium in the Church today.  Every weird, heretical, and just plain stupid thing comes from that dark swamp of arrogant confusion.

“But Father! But Father!”, you libs are blubbering “you are the arrogant and confused one here!  Don’t you understand that it was from Germany and those other countries….. like… up there… that we got the spirit of Vatican II which is still blowing through the church like a springtime Pentecost of renewal and change?   YES!  It’s a springtime now, especially with their fighting for the rights of non-… institutionally non-catholics for their rights to the sacraments, which as GERMAN Karl Rahner explained are celebrations of pre-existing realities.   Those were halcyon days that we relive and relive and relive.  But you don’t get any of that because YOU HATE VATICAN II!”

Well… okay, then.

Here is a video compilation (not sure where it came from other than my inbox) of Ash Wednesday in a church in Germany with Card. Woelki, of all people.

Enjoy!

There’s a video of the whole rite… but I couldn’t inflict it.

Anyway, I’m not sure who did this video, but we own him some thanks.

Germany, ladies and gentlemen.  Germany.

This entry was posted in "But Father! But Father!", Liberals, Liturgy Science Theatre 3000, Pò sì jiù, You must be joking! and tagged . Bookmark the permalink.

36 Comments

1. Sawyer says:

And yet the church was full, showing that people will put up with a lot of stupid stuff at (Ash Wednesday) Mass. I don’t know why people put up with that. Are they numb? I would have left in disgust. And why was there a Kyrie sung on Ash Wednesday? The Penitential Act is omitted during the introductory rites at Ash Wednesday Mass, and the Novus Ordo tends to consider the Kyrie part of the Penitential Act.

2. Ave Crux says:

Staggering, this reminds me of someone who’s possessed; either that or mentally ill. It certainly doesn’t seem rational.

The sounds, the hissing, the screams. It’s quite possible the joke is on them; they may have (unknowingly?) hired a satanist who is making fools of them and calling it art. If you look at the score on the organ, it looks aberrated.

3. StBensGirl says:

There are no words. Except maybe “desecration.” Sigh. We need so much help. Poor Germany. I love Germany.

4. monscarmeli says:

Having done a little checking, I’m pretty sure that’s the composer at the organ; and the soprano appears to be a regular collaborator with him.

5. Matthew says:

The woman screaming is Irene Kurka

6. Gab says:

For around 2000 years the Mass was sacred. Why mess with it even more than that lot messed with it in 1969? This latest example of the desecration of the Holy Mass is profoundly disturbing. They do these things to please themselves because the Mass is all about them, it appears. I wonder how many of those priests and bishops still actually pray to Our Lady? And why did they all go along with this mockery? Was there not even one who said “Guys, this is bordering on the sacrilegious”?

7. Gab says:

“The woman screaming is Irene Kurka”

The devil apes everything that is holy and turns it into a mockery. Think of the contrast: a screaming banshee or a Gregorian chant.

8. liebemama says:

Not defending the screams, but it was a Mass for artists specifically, not necessarily Catholic artists evidently. There is a tradition for this on Ash Wednesday, hopefully not all this awful. This is not the norm for St. Kunibert! I have also attended a TLM in St. Kunibert.
    I do admit there is a trend here in Germany to include “hip” or “modern” touches to attract young, hip and modern people. Catholics flee and the moderns laugh.

9. HezzerK says:

The entire Church in Germany needs an exorcism. Clearly she is possessed by a demon. That was not singing, but sacrilegious demonic mockery of the liturgy. What a disgrace!

10. Ms. M-S says:

There’s only one Entity I can imagine actually hissing during Mass.

11. Ellen says:

Years ago, I went to a Good Friday service that was almost this bad. The priests processed in, and then sat in the front pews. The rest of the service was all done by lay people. Much miming, dancing, and making it all up as they went.
    I was there for about 10 minutes and then ran out. I think I would run out of this 10 seconds in.

12. CasaSanBruno says:

As a newly ordained priest working in Germany in the late 90’s, I was once subjected to something akin to this lunacy. When I asked the parish priest what all that cacophony was about, he replied: “It’s intelligent music.”

Oh, blessed ignorance….

13. mysticalrose says:

I never trust anyone who hisses! Totally demonic.

14. Titus says:

Par for the course for contemporary “art” music. It’s a straight line from Debussy to this nonsense, which is the same kind of thing you hear in any concert hall where the music director has managed to con people into coming to hear the work of a contemporary composer. It’s not meant to be beautiful or traditional; quite the opposite.

[Debussy? This Debussy?

[Schoenberg, perhaps…]

[But would you then have to blame Mozart?]

15. Atra Dicenda, Rubra Agenda says:

Look at the silver haired laity.

There are no young, hip, or modern people present.

16. Amerikaner says:

Yep, this stuff all the time. I can’t tell you how often the fam has walked out of Mass and rushed to try to go elsewhere in the hopes of making the obligation at a half decent place. Germany is crap.

17. At least she sang the Kyrie in Greek.

18. SanSan says:

oh, that hurt. how demonic. I’m no longer German and Irish…..just Irish from now on. Mea culpa dear Lord!!!!!!!!!

19. ppb says:

Good grief, is this a Catholic Mass or a performance of Schoenberg’s “Pierrot Lunaire?” How could anyone think this was appropriate for the sacred liturgy?

20. RichR says:

When art becomes this abstract, nothing meaningful is communicated to the observer.

21. Imrahil says:

With all due respect, I do not think that Germany or the Church in Germany can be explained by some video (which, for reasons quite different from either “I’m to horrified” or “as a patriot I don’t want to know”, I have not seen yet) apparently containing some liturgical clappy nonsense. Nor can any case of diabolic possession be diagnosed from afar in such a manner, that is if it were compatible with piety to attest such a thing to a local Church as such (as opposed to: a collection from amongst its members).

In fact, that stands in the way even of knowing the real problems the German Church does have.

(For starters: the constant and widespread liturgical disobedience concerning the Embolism for just about no reason at all is a actually much greater problem than some occasional clownerie, for example.)

22. Imrahil says:

(I mean it is greater in telling more about the state of this local Church, because it actually is widespread, even dominating; although, or because, it is of course of much less weight in itself.)

23. Suburbanbanshee says:

Wow. Kurka has an amazing voice, is obviously well-trained, has great technique and execution — but she is using it for this!?!

There is such a thing as artistic judgment. Maybe this composer is her friend, maybe she gets paid well. But this is crap that should not be endured. Be a real soprano, and demand better.

24. Suburbanbanshee says:

Oh, man. This poor chick actually enjoys this kind of junk. She has a podcast all about neue musik. She goes on tours and sings horrible noises for horrible composers. Arghhhhh.composers

Well, I hope she has a sense of humor when she gets old, and realizes that she wasted her life and talents on a bunch of poor jokes.

25. Suburbanbanshee says:

On the bright side, Kurka has an album of songs by St. Hildegard of Bingen, and an album of sung prayers. Does some exceptional a capella work. And some of her neue music buddies are not half bad.

So she is reaching for something. Pity that this silly stuff is standing in her way.

It breaks my heart, though. I have a slightly better than average voice, but nothing close to the chops this woman has. She is obviously hard-working and musically ambitious, and she can put a song across. Why is she not using what she’s got?!

26. FrAnt says:

When I see things like this I ask myself, “Who approved it, and what was their rationale?”

27. Suburbanbanshee says:

Oh, and directing a classically trained singer to sing into a megaphone, much less make noises into one, is an insult. You did not see the organist hissing into a megaphone, I notice. If you want to see oppression and patriarchies, kids, look at how nasty composers and music directors treat their victims.

So much that is so wrong, all in one video. And so little honor paid to God.

28. Anneliese says:

I think this script was written by Mel Brooks.

29. Well, that made me laugh and then it made me angry. Is this person a witch with all the hissing like a snake and the Amazon bird calls? Good grief. I feel very sorry for our dear Lord and all in Heaven. What a sick and twisted way to begin the Lenten Season. I wonder if while in the Garden of Gethsemane is this one thing Jesus sweat His Most Precious Blood for seeing this coming.

30. Josephus Corvus says:

It’s a springtime now….

Well, it actually is springtime where I am (at least the last two days), and to take the garbage out I need to put on my boots to get through the swamp that my backyard has become. I think this…whatever it is…is the swamp of the Church.

31. ChrisP says:

I’m sorry, but I laughed. I honestly first thought the organist had Tourettes and that this was some kind of avant good show for the divorced-remarried luvvies.

But it’s actually just sad and insulting.

32. Spinmamma says:

Amazing voice, but if I wanted to go to a concert featuring contemporary music I would not go to Mass. It directs all attention to the singer, and sounds, and not to worship. Horrible. The congregation was a captive audience and could never participate in such a service, The communion of singing together with the choir is part of the gathering into one –one of the most beautiful spiritual experiences of the Mass.

33. Semper Gumby says:

What in tarnation…

A bullhorn? Good grief, only two things were missing from that video: Airing of Grievances and Feats of Strength.

No doubt Martin Mosebach is not amused.

34. APX says:

I was curious about what the actual score looked like so I checked YouTube for it.

Does anyone actually consider this actual music? It sounds like the excreted remains of music, but not music.

35. Titus says:

[Debussy? This Debussy?

I didn’t say it was Debussy, or that it sounded like Debussy. [For a moment there I thought you meant some other Debussy. Sheesh.] But Debussy’s later descent into atonalism (or near-atonalism) was the death knell of Romanticism and established mere innovation as the touchstone of subsequent orchestral and artistic music. Music as a field thus became entropic, decaying further and further away from orderly systems to dissonant ones. Schoenberg was just an oddly commercially successful blip along the way.

If you want to blame someone earlier, it would probably be Beethoven. Beethoven made beautiful music, but he broke the highly ordered system of Classicism. His music (and Brahms’ and Dvorak’s and Smetena’s, etc.) is still beautiful, of course, because they utilized foundational Classical precepts in building grander melodic structures. But when you lose sight of the Classical moorings that kept Romanticism rooted in tonality, then the whole system falls apart. That’s probably in no small part Debussy’s fault.

Twentieth-century theology is a similar story: you can be a post-Thomist if you remember your St. Thomas (even if you don’t use him for everything), but when forget him altogether, you wind up wandering off the reservation.

[Why not just blame Pérotin or Anonymous 4? Pretty edgy stuff!]

36. Donate using VENMO

37. CLICK and say your daily offerings!

Immaculate Heart of Mary

A Daily Prayer for Priests

38. Do you want to show some appreciation?

39. Do you have a faithful Catholic website that needs competent and reliable tech support?

40. Fr. Z’s VOICEMAIL

Nota bene: I do not answer these numbers or this Skype address. You won't get me "live". I check for messages regularly.

Skype
    WDTPRS

Skype UK
    020 8133 4535

Skype USA
    651-447-6265

41. YOUR RECENT COMMENTS

42. Books which you must have.

43. I use this when I travel both in these USA and abroad.  Very useful.  Fast enough for Zoom.  I connect my DMR (ham radio) through it.  If you use my link, they give me more data.  A GREAT back up.

44. Get ready…

45. Don’t rely on popes, bishops and priests.

“He [Satan] will set up a counter-Church which will be the ape of the Church because, he the devil, is the ape of God. It will have all the notes and characteristics of the Church, but in reverse and emptied of its divine content. It will be a mystical body of the anti-Christ that will in all externals resemble the mystical body of Christ. In desperate need for God, whom he nevertheless refuses to adore, modern man in his loneliness and frustration will hunger more and more for membership in a community that will give him enlargement of purpose, but at the cost of losing himself in some vague collectivity.”
    “Who is going to save our Church? Not our bishops, not our priests and religious. It is up to you, the people. You have the minds, the eyes, and the ears to save the Church. Your mission is to see that your priests act like priests, your bishops act like bishops.”

- Fulton Sheen

Therefore, ACTIVATE YOUR CONFIRMATION and get to work!

46. Send Snail Mail to Fr. Z

Fr John Zuhlsdorf
    Tridentine Mass Society of Madison
    733 Struck St.
    PO BOX 44603
    Madison, WI 53744-4603

For email HERE
  47. “The modern habit of doing ceremonial things unceremoniously is no proof of humility; rather it proves the offender's inability to forget himself in the rite, and his readiness to spoil for every one else the proper pleasure of ritual.”

- C.S. Lewis

48. This blog has to earn its keep!

PLEASE subscribe via PayPal if it is useful.

That way I have steady income I can plan on, and you wind up regularly on my list of benefactors for whom I pray and for whom I periodically say Holy Mass.

In view of the rapidly changing challenges I now face, I would like to add more $10/month subscribers. Will you please help?

Some options

For a one time donation...

Donate with PayPal
  49. As for Latin…

"But if, in any layman who is indeed imbued with literature, ignorance of the Latin language, which we can truly call the 'catholic' language, indicates a certain sluggishness in his love toward the Church, how much more fitting it is that each and every cleric should be adequately practiced and skilled in that language!" - Pius XI

"Let us realize that this remark of Cicero (Brutus  37, 140) can be in a certain way referred to [young lay people]: 'It is not so much a matter of distinction to know Latin as it is disgraceful not to know it.'"  - St. John Paul II

50. Recent Posts

51. Let us pray…

Grant unto thy Church, we beseech Thee, O merciful God, that She, being gathered together by the Holy Ghost, may be in no wise troubled by attack from her foes. O God, who by sin art offended and by penance pacified, mercifully regard the prayers of Thy people making supplication unto Thee,and turn away the scourges of Thine anger which we deserve for our sins. Almighty and Everlasting God, in whose Hand are the power and the government of every realm: look down upon and help the Christian people that the heathen nations who trust in the fierceness of their own might may be crushed by the power of thine Arm. Through our Lord Jesus Christ, Thy Son, who liveth and reigneth with Thee in the unity of the Holy Ghost, God, world without end. R. Amen.

52. Yes, Fr. Z is taking ads…

53. Be a “Zed-Head”!

54. CHALLENGE COINS!

My "challenge coin" for my 25th anniversary of ordination in 2016.

Want one?  I do exchanges with military and LEOs, etc.

55. PLEASE RESPOND. Pretty pleeeease?

The "sign of peace" during Mass in the Ordinary Form...

View Results

Loading ... Loading ...
  56. This is really useful when travelling… and also when you aren’t and you need backup internet NOW! I use this for my DMR “Zednet” hotspot when I’m mobile. It’s a ham radio thing.

If you travel internationally, this is a super useful gizmo for your mobile internet data.  I use one.  If you get one through my link, I get data rewards.
    Keepgo

57. Please use my links when shopping! I depend on your help.

58. WDTPRS POLL

Should the Bishops of the USA have us return to obligatory meatless Fridays during the whole year and not just during Lent?

View Results

Loading ... Loading ...
  59. Fr. Z’s stuff is everywhere

Fr. Z Store

60. Help support Fr. Z’s Gospel of Life work at no cost to you. Do you need a Real Estate Agent? Calling these people is the FIRST thing you should do!

They find you a pro-life agent in your area who commits to giving a portion of the fee to a pro-life group!

Real Estate for Life
  61. GREAT causes to support

Help Monks in Wyoming (coffee – UPDATED LINK) and Norcia (beer) and the wonderful "Soap Sisters" of Summit, NJ!

Buy Mystic Monk coffee

Birra Nursia

Please follow me on Twitter!

Fr. Z on Twitter