SHOPPING ONLINE? Please, come here first!
About this blog…
“This blog is like a fusion of the Baroque ‘salon’ with its well-tuned harpsichord around which polite society gathered for entertainment and edification and, on the other hand, a Wild West “saloon” with its out-of-tune piano and swinging doors, where everyone has a gun and something to say. Nevertheless, we try to point our discussions back to what it is to be Catholic in this increasingly difficult age, to love God, and how to get to heaven.” – Fr. Z
Coat of Arms by D Burkart
Wonderful about St. Joseph! “Terror of Demons”
ABORTION PILL RESCUE NETWORK
- The most evident mark of God’s anger and the most terrible castigation He can inflict upon the world are manifested when He permits His people to fall into the hands of clerics who are priests more in name than in deed, priests who practice the cruelty of ravening wolves rather than the charity and affection of devoted shepherds.
St. John Eudes
Donate using VENMO
GREAT BEER from Traditional Benedictine Monks in Italy
CLICK and say your daily offerings!
Do you want to show some appreciation?
Do you have a faithful Catholic website that needs competent and reliable tech support?
NEW OPPORTUNITY – 10% off with code: FATHERZ10
Fr. Z’s VOICEMAIL
Nota bene: I do not answer these numbers or this Skype address. You won't get me "live". I check for messages regularly.
020 8133 4535
YOUR RECENT COMMENTS
Books which you must have.
This REALLY helps! And it’s great coffee (and tea)
I use this when I travel both in these USA and abroad. Very useful. Fast enough for Zoom. I connect my DMR (ham radio) through it. If you use my link, they give me more data. A GREAT back up.
Don’t rely on popes, bishops and priests.
“He [Satan] will set up a counter-Church which will be the ape of the Church because, he the devil, is the ape of God. It will have all the notes and characteristics of the Church, but in reverse and emptied of its divine content. It will be a mystical body of the anti-Christ that will in all externals resemble the mystical body of Christ. In desperate need for God, whom he nevertheless refuses to adore, modern man in his loneliness and frustration will hunger more and more for membership in a community that will give him enlargement of purpose, but at the cost of losing himself in some vague collectivity.”
“Who is going to save our Church? Not our bishops, not our priests and religious. It is up to you, the people. You have the minds, the eyes, and the ears to save the Church. Your mission is to see that your priests act like priests, your bishops act like bishops.”
- Fulton Sheen
Therefore, ACTIVATE YOUR CONFIRMATION and get to work!
Send Snail Mail to Fr. Z
- “The modern habit of doing ceremonial things unceremoniously is no proof of humility; rather it proves the offender's inability to forget himself in the rite, and his readiness to spoil for every one else the proper pleasure of ritual.”
- C.S. Lewis
This blog has to earn its keep!
PLEASE subscribe via PayPal if it is useful.
That way I have steady income I can plan on, and you wind up regularly on my list of benefactors for whom I pray and for whom I periodically say Holy Mass.
In view of the rapidly changing challenges I now face, I would like to add more $10/month subscribers. Will you please help?
For a one time donation...
As for Latin…
"But if, in any layman who is indeed imbued with literature, ignorance of the Latin language, which we can truly call the 'catholic' language, indicates a certain sluggishness in his love toward the Church, how much more fitting it is that each and every cleric should be adequately practiced and skilled in that language!" - Pius XI
"Let us realize that this remark of Cicero (Brutus 37, 140) can be in a certain way referred to [young lay people]: 'It is not so much a matter of distinction to know Latin as it is disgraceful not to know it.'" - St. John Paul II
- ROME 22/10 – Day 2: Still getting it together and an ASK FATHER question
- ASK FATHER: 1st Communion at a special Mass rather than at a regular Sunday Mass
- WDTPRS 27th Ordinary Sunday: Of ashes, soap and you.
- WDTPRS – 17th Sunday after Pentecost: diabolical contagion
- ROME 22/10 – Day 1: Getting it together
- Daily Rome Shot 578, etc.
- “The Devil, the Enemy of the soul, always tells us what he is up to.” Sancte Michael Archangele, defende nos in proelio, contra nequitiam et insidias diaboli esto praesidium!
- How can the “four camps” in the Church be reconciled?
- My View For Awhile: Romeward Bound
- Daily Rome Shot 577, etc. – Hurricane Early Edition
- Wolves v. Bear, Windswept House, and the Belgian Waffle Bishops.
- Daily Rome Shot 576, etc.
- “This has the logo of the Synod (“walking together”) of Bishops. ” Prepare for a rough ride.
- ASK FATHER: Can a Catholic layman officiate at the marriage of non-Catholics?
- Daily Rome Shot 575, etc.
- I now may have seen it all.
- Ad repellendas tempestates… Prayers for the repelling of storms.
- Daily Rome Shot 574, etc.
- ACTION ITEM! Gulf Coast BISHOPS, PRIESTS, LAITY: Pray the Litany against Tropical Storm #Ian
- ASK FATHER: Hand missals in large print for people with low vision
- Daily Rome Shot 573, etc.
- YOUR URGENT PRAYER REQUESTS – UPDATED
- Your Sunday Sermon Notes – 16th Sunday after Pentecost (N.O. 26th Sunday): “Is there a vice which God must hate more than pride?” Wherein Fr. Z rants.
- WDTPRS – Collect 26th Sunday of Ordinary Time (Novus Ordo): “the bowels of compassion”
- WDTPRS – 16th Sunday after Pentecost: good works bound up in grace
- Daily Rome Shot 572, etc.
- Persecution by Rome of the Bp. of Fréjus-Toulon – UPDATED
- Travel, foreign currency, ATMS and YOU!
- It’s Ember Friday in September. Fast and pray for the Church! DO IT!
- Daily Rome Shot 571, etc.
Let us pray…
Grant unto thy Church, we beseech Thee, O merciful God, that She, being gathered together by the Holy Ghost, may be in no wise troubled by attack from her foes. O God, who by sin art offended and by penance pacified, mercifully regard the prayers of Thy people making supplication unto Thee,and turn away the scourges of Thine anger which we deserve for our sins. Almighty and Everlasting God, in whose Hand are the power and the government of every realm: look down upon and help the Christian people that the heathen nations who trust in the fierceness of their own might may be crushed by the power of thine Arm. Through our Lord Jesus Christ, Thy Son, who liveth and reigneth with Thee in the unity of the Holy Ghost, God, world without end. R. Amen.
Yes, Fr. Z is taking ads…
Be a “Zed-Head”!
My "challenge coin" for my 25th anniversary of ordination in 2016.
Want one? I do exchanges with military and LEOs, etc.
PLEASE RESPOND. Pretty pleeeease?Loading ...
This is really useful when travelling… and also when you aren’t and you need backup internet NOW! I use this for my DMR “Zednet” hotspot when I’m mobile. It’s a ham radio thing.
If you travel internationally, this is a super useful gizmo for your mobile internet data. I use one. If you get one through my link, I get data rewards.
Please use my links when shopping! I depend on your help.
WDTPRS POLLLoading ...
Fr. Z’s stuff is everywhere
Help support Fr. Z’s Gospel of Life work at no cost to you. Do you need a Real Estate Agent? Calling these people is the FIRST thing you should do!
GREAT causes to support
Monthly Archives: March 2020
Today on a TV news channel I heard a doctor talking about the ways that virus can spread. He used a term “fomites” (pronounced “foe-mights”). I immediately knew what it was about, but I looked it up: “any inanimate object … Read More
Today I am again going to attempt to LIVE stream Mass at NOON (Central Daylight Time = GMT/UTC -5 This weekend Europe went on daylight savings. So Rome is -7 again.) Holy Mass (TLM) will be the formulary for Tuesday … Read More
Today I am again going to attempt to LIVE stream Mass at NOON (Central Daylight Time = GMT/UTC -5 This weekend Europe went on daylight savings. So Rome is -7 again.) Holy Mass (TLM) will be the formulary for Monday … Read More
It was a custom for Catholics on Sundays to return to their churches for Vespers. As a matter of fact, in some traditional hand missals you will find the prayers for Vespers. Moreover, the Second Vatican Council asked that Sunday … Read More
Yesterday The Great Roman™ sent me a photo of a fine bowl of pasta e ceci in the Roman style. This is a good lesson about custody of the eyes. We tend to want what we see. I immediately wanted … Read More
Was there a good point made in the sermon you heard at the Mass that fulfilled your Sunday Obligation? WHOOPS! You probably are in a place where you don’t have an obligation, either because the bishop dispensed it or there … Read More
We are really getting into it now. From this Sunday, traditionally called 1st Sunday of the Passion, it is customary to veil images in churches. In the Gospel in traditional Form of the Roman Rite we hear: Tulérunt ergo lápides, … Read More
I’ll say Mass at 0730 this morning. In Europe you switched to daylight savings. https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCPOv8zi09j0w0JlN1OTXXOQ That’s the parish channel rather than my personal channel.
From a reader… QUAERITUR: During this time of plague, may priests live-stream the blessing of sacramentals? A priest has asked parishioners who want to have these objects blessed to prepare water, salt, etc., view the blessing ritual online, and presumably … Read More
Today I am again going to attempt to LIVE stream Mass at NOON (Central Daylight Time = GMT/UTC -5). Holy Mass (TLM) Saturday 4th Week of Lent with a commemoration of St. John of Capistrano. HERE I have permission from … Read More
ASK FATHER: Best practices for following a Mass which is live-streamed on the internet or broadcast on TV
From a reader… QUAERITUR: What are your thoughts about what to do during streamed Masses? I tend to think that in this time where it is impossible to attend Mass, it is at least beneficial to be united with one … Read More
UPDATE Concerning something I ranted about below, I read this at CNA: Updated: Springfield, Mass. diocese rescinds policy permitting nurses to anoint Thanks be to God. One hour after the publication of the story below, the Diocese of Springfield informed … Read More
Luke 4:40-41: When the sun was setting, all those who had any that were sick with various diseases brought them to Him; and He laid His hands on every one of them and healed them. And demons also came out … Read More
Today Francis has an extraordinary “Urbi et Orbi” ceremony, with prayers in this time of pandemic. They brought the famous Crucifix from San Marcello. It had been carried in 1522 in procession through Rome against the plague for several days. … Read More
Today I am again going to attempt to LIVE stream Mass at NOON (Central Daylight Time = GMT/UTC -5). This will be Votive Mass (TLM) “Pro Infirmis… For The Sick”. HERE I have permission from the bishop to use this … Read More
This is some cool news… From the Washington Free Beacon: First Space Force Mission Is A Go ‘We’re launching a giant spacecraft into space’ Space Force’s first official mission is a go, with personnel set to launch a military communications … Read More
And to all my readers, I add… Temba, his arms wide.
This is interesting… I am receiving screenshots and statements reporting @Facebook blocking and/or deleting live-streamed #Catholic Masses and #Christian content during the ongoing #coronavirus restrictions. I have contacted @fbnewsroom, as the evidence suggests targeting.#CatholicTwitter pic.twitter.com/Z6XoKP78m6 — Bree A Dail (@breeadail) … Read More
The famous plague procession Crucifix in Rome’s San Marcello al Corso has been moved from its chapel in the center of Rome to St. Peter’s Square for a prayer Francis will recite on 27 March at 1800h (Rome time) I … Read More