SHOPPING ONLINE? Please, come here first!
Your support is important. Thanks in advance.
To donate monthly via Continue To Give use your phone's camera to activate the Q code or text 4827563 to 715-803-4772 (US) for a link.
For Zelle and Chase, etc., use
frz AT wdtprs DOT com.
About this blog…
“This blog is like a fusion of the Baroque ‘salon’ with its well-tuned harpsichord around which polite society gathered for entertainment and edification and, on the other hand, a Wild West “saloon” with its out-of-tune piano and swinging doors, where everyone has a gun and something to say. Nevertheless, we try to point our discussions back to what it is to be Catholic in this increasingly difficult age, to love God, and how to get to heaven.” – Fr. Z
Coat of Arms by D Burkart
“I’m Fr. Z and I warmly endorse this message!”
Wonderful about St. Joseph! “Terror of Demons”
ABORTION PILL RESCUE NETWORK
- The most evident mark of God’s anger and the most terrible castigation He can inflict upon the world are manifested when He permits His people to fall into the hands of clerics who are priests more in name than in deed, priests who practice the cruelty of ravening wolves rather than the charity and affection of devoted shepherds.
St. John Eudes
I am delighted to have been approved as an affiliate of Chess.com and House of Staunton.
Use FATHERZ10 at checkout for 10% off
Donate using VENMO
GREAT BEER from Traditional Benedictine Monks in Italy
CLICK and say your daily offerings!
Do you want to show some appreciation?
Do you have a faithful Catholic website that needs competent and reliable tech support?
NEW OPPORTUNITY – 10% off with code: FATHERZ10
Fr. Z’s VOICEMAIL
Nota bene: I do not answer these numbers or this Skype address. You won't get me "live". I check for messages regularly.
020 8133 4535
YOUR RECENT COMMENTS
- Julia_Augusta on There is hardly anything crueler that a priest can do than to leave people in doubt about the validity of their sacraments. : “I am truly baffled by the inability of a parish in the USA to get wine. We never had problems…”
- Lusp on How to view the SSPX.: “The whole thing is confusing and it says more about the situation in the Church hierarchy than it does the…”
- David on ASK FATHER… ASK EVERYONE: Find recording of Archbp. Léonard imitating different regional Latin pronunciations: “Father, although it doesn’t solve the video mystery, here is something regarding different Latin pronunciations that may interest you as…”
- Georgemartyrfan on How to view the SSPX.: “What would happen if a single bishop gave faculties within his diocese to the SSPX? Is this outside of their…”
- sjoseph371 on REPOST ASK FATHER: How to make a “Trinitini” Martini for Trinity Sunday and avoid committing heresy?: “Funny, Fr. Z, funny. I’m not a big martini fan (please don’t excommunicate me), but I loved your humor -…”
- N.O. Catholic on How to view the SSPX.: “How to view the SSPX? 1. As a canonically irregular religious institute of clerics, not incardinated to any regular religious…”
- Ipsitilla on ASK FATHER… ASK EVERYONE: Find recording of Archbp. Léonard imitating different regional Latin pronunciations: “Not sure if it’s helpful, but the Youtube channel belongs to Joël Devillet, and the original title of the video…”
- Not on REPOST ASK FATHER: How to make a “Trinitini” Martini for Trinity Sunday and avoid committing heresy?: “Well well, I have to think about this. I love a good Martini. Years ago , My Daughter introduced me…”
- Cornelius on How to view the SSPX.: “Thank God for the SSPX. As someone who used to assist at a Diocesan TLM before it got axed I…”
- robtbrown on How to view the SSPX.: “I just received news that the story about Francis approval of new SSPX bishops is not true”
- Patrick-K on Your Sunday Sermon Notes: Trinity Sunday 2023: “Our priest made a couple of thought-provoking points. One, the Trinity is the inner life of God. I think Frank…”
- OssaSola on How to view the SSPX.: “Enough! Our parish lost its priest and its TLM this Easter, not to mention 60 altar boys, many of whom…”
- JabbaPapa on ROME 06/3 Day… My View For Awhile: Brooklyn to SOCOM: “dinsdale : Father Z, the Georgian pastry is called khachapuri, and the one in the photo looks to be excellent!…”
- hwriggles4 on ROME 06/3 Day… My View For Awhile: Brooklyn to SOCOM: “Fr. Z: NY bagel looks good. I tried some Junior’s New York coffee from a place in America where women…”
- Texdon on Your Sunday Sermon Notes: Trinity Sunday 2023: “Our pastor told about being at a confirmation where the bishop was asking the young confirmands questions. He asked one…”
Books which you must have.
This REALLY helps! And it’s great coffee (and tea)
I use this when I travel both in these USA and abroad. Very useful. Fast enough for Zoom. I connect my DMR (ham radio) through it. If you use my link, they give me more data. A GREAT back up.
Don’t rely on popes, bishops and priests.
“He [Satan] will set up a counter-Church which will be the ape of the Church because, he the devil, is the ape of God. It will have all the notes and characteristics of the Church, but in reverse and emptied of its divine content. It will be a mystical body of the anti-Christ that will in all externals resemble the mystical body of Christ. In desperate need for God, whom he nevertheless refuses to adore, modern man in his loneliness and frustration will hunger more and more for membership in a community that will give him enlargement of purpose, but at the cost of losing himself in some vague collectivity.”
“Who is going to save our Church? Not our bishops, not our priests and religious. It is up to you, the people. You have the minds, the eyes, and the ears to save the Church. Your mission is to see that your priests act like priests, your bishops act like bishops.”
- Fulton Sheen
Therefore, ACTIVATE YOUR CONFIRMATION and get to work!
Send Snail Mail to Fr. ZFr John Zuhlsdorf
Tridentine Mass Society of Madison
733 Struck St.
PO BOX 44603
Madison, WI 53744-4603
For email HERE
- “The modern habit of doing ceremonial things unceremoniously is no proof of humility; rather it proves the offender's inability to forget himself in the rite, and his readiness to spoil for every one else the proper pleasure of ritual.”
- C.S. Lewis
This blog has to earn its keep!
PLEASE subscribe via PayPal if it is useful.
That way I have steady income I can plan on, and you wind up regularly on my list of benefactors for whom I pray and for whom I periodically say Holy Mass.
In view of the rapidly changing challenges I now face, I would like to add more $10/month subscribers. Will you please help?
For a one time donation...
As for Latin…
"But if, in any layman who is indeed imbued with literature, ignorance of the Latin language, which we can truly call the 'catholic' language, indicates a certain sluggishness in his love toward the Church, how much more fitting it is that each and every cleric should be adequately practiced and skilled in that language!" - Pius XI
"Let us realize that this remark of Cicero (Brutus 37, 140) can be in a certain way referred to [young lay people]: 'It is not so much a matter of distinction to know Latin as it is disgraceful not to know it.'" - St. John Paul II
- There is hardly anything crueler that a priest can do than to leave people in doubt about the validity of their sacraments.
- Daily Rome Shot 708: Dalmatic Bling Opportunity
- ASK FATHER… ASK EVERYONE: Find recording of Archbp. Léonard imitating different regional Latin pronunciations
- Daily Rome Shot 707 and cool stuff
- WDTPRS – Trinity Sunday: Are you beautiful at Mass?
- REPOST ASK FATHER: How to make a “Trinitini” Martini for Trinity Sunday and avoid committing heresy?
- Your Sunday Sermon Notes: Trinity Sunday 2023
- ROME 06/3 Day… My View For Awhile: Brooklyn to SOCOM
- “I’ll see your ‘Wakanda!’ and raise you a ‘KATONDA!'” The Feast of St Charles Lwanga, Martyr – A saint we can all take pride in!
- Pentecost Saturday: We Are Our Rites.
- How to view the SSPX.
- Pentecost Friday: You are our stretcher bearers.
- ROME 06/1 Day… My View For Awhile
- Pentecost Thursday: When there is no joy in “dustville”.
- Pentecost Wednesday: another ranting reflection
- ROME 23/05 – Day 31: Last full day and an “If only…”.
- Pentecost Tuesday: Wherein Fr. Z rants
- WDTPRS – Pentecost Monday: from bondage, freedom – from anxiety, peace
- ROME 23/05 – Day 29: Monday in the OCTAVE OF PENTECOST
- ROME 23/05 – Day 28: Pentecost Sunday
- WDTPRS – Pentecost Sunday: Holy Church’s fabric, the warp and the weft
- Your Sunday Sermon Notes – Pentecost Sunday 2023
- ROME 23/05 – Day 27: I can’t help it.
- 25 May 2023: Litany of St. Philip Neri and Prayer of Card. Baronio – VIDEO
- “Oh people will come, Reverend Mother. People will most definitely come….”
- ROME 23/05 – Day 26: Truly precious
- WDTPRS: Mass Prayers “Pro seipso sacerdote – For the priest himself” (1962MR)
- 26 May 1991: 32nd anniversary of ordination
- 23 May 2023 – Reinstallation of St. Philip Neri’s altarpiece – VIDEO
- From “The Private Diary of Bishop F. Atticus McButterpants” – 23-05-21 – Cufflinks
Let us pray…
Grant unto thy Church, we beseech Thee, O merciful God, that She, being gathered together by the Holy Ghost, may be in no wise troubled by attack from her foes. O God, who by sin art offended and by penance pacified, mercifully regard the prayers of Thy people making supplication unto Thee,and turn away the scourges of Thine anger which we deserve for our sins. Almighty and Everlasting God, in whose Hand are the power and the government of every realm: look down upon and help the Christian people that the heathen nations who trust in the fierceness of their own might may be crushed by the power of thine Arm. Through our Lord Jesus Christ, Thy Son, who liveth and reigneth with Thee in the unity of the Holy Ghost, God, world without end. R. Amen.
Be a “Zed-Head”!
My "challenge coin" for my 25th anniversary of ordination in 2016.
Want one? I do exchanges with military and LEOs, etc.
PLEASE RESPOND. Pretty pleeeease?Loading ...
This is really useful when travelling… and also when you aren’t and you need backup internet NOW! I use this for my DMR “Zednet” hotspot when I’m mobile. It’s a ham radio thing.
If you travel internationally, this is a super useful gizmo for your mobile internet data. I use one. If you get one through my link, I get data rewards.
Please use my links when shopping! I depend on your help.
WDTPRS POLLLoading ...
Fr. Z’s stuff is everywhere
Help support Fr. Z’s Gospel of Life work at no cost to you. Do you need a Real Estate Agent? Calling these people is the FIRST thing you should do!
GREAT causes to support
Tag Archives: wine
Just Too Cool at Le Barroux
Le Barroux is the short name for the Benedictine Abbaye Sainte-Madeleine du Barroux in S. France. They are a traditional Benedictine community of monks. On the next hill is an Abbey of nuns. This place is fantastic. Just as the … Read More
Comments Off on Just Too Cool at Le Barroux
27 Dec – St. John the Evangelist – Today we bless WINE!
The liturgical year guided and nourished and shaped Catholics for centuries. It does so far less now, since it is much diminished after the “reforms” that hacked away at the calendar. However, once upon a time people not only followed … Read More
Daily Rome Shot 308
Photo by The Great Roman™ In Rome’s heart, on the Palatine Hill at the Villa Barbarini, vineyards have been planted. Speaking of vineyards, the monks of Le Barroux support themselves with wine from the revived vinyards of the Avignon Popes.
When the Vicissitudes™ are winding you up… UPDATED
UPDATE: I wrote to the people who handle the wine sales and distribution. They responded: For shipping questions outside of the U.S., please direct people to email: email@example.com and the European Via Caritatis team will take care of them. Note that … Read More
¡Hagan lío! Wonderful wine from traditional Benedictine monks!
I have received great news from the people handling the excellent Via Caritatis wine from the traditional Benedictines of Le Barroux in France. The monks are working the first papal vineyards in France near Avignon. Some terraces go back to the 5th … Read More
7 July 2021 – Tour de France Stage 11, the Monastery at Le Barroux, and wine
Yesterday I posted that Stage 11 of the Tour de France would focus on Mount Ventoux, indeed near to where the beautiful, traditional Monastery Ste. Madeleine is. The monks and nuns of their sister Abbey have revived an ancient vineyard, … Read More
7 July – Stage 11 of @LeTour, the Monks of Le Barroux, and YOU
This post brings together three great offerings from France: good wine, great chant, and the Tour de France. I while ago I wrote about the wonderful wine made by the traditional Benedictine monks of Le Barroux in S. France. I … Read More
JUST TOO COOL: 700 year old papal vineyard in France revived by Benedictine Monks
I occasionally post about the wonderful, traditional Benedictine monks and nuns of Le Barroux in Provence. Their monasteries are little slices of paradise. You can hear live online or on demand the men chanting the liturgical hours HERE. I saw … Read More
VIDEO: Archbishop – ooops – “consecrates” whisky instead of wine.
Wait long enough and that hardly-to-be-imagined thing will happen. Holy Church has been at this Holy Mass thing for a really long time and in really diverse circumstances. Hence, she has been through a great many “What if X happens…?” … Read More
ALERT! A “wine” that perhaps isn’t really wine!
As you know, for the consecration of the Eucharist to be VALID, we must use wine from grapes. It can be fortified wine, but it must be wine (HERE). Today I received a link from a reader which I am … Read More
QUAERITUR: Of the color of wine, the amount, and the addition of water
From a reader: First off is the wine to be consecrated have to be red and how much wine poured into the chalice is enough to make it a valid mass? One of my priests told us if they don’t … Read More
QUAERITUR: Is sherry valid matter for the consecration during Mass?
From a reader: There had been several discussions recently about the topic of valid matter for the Eucharist, mostly related to low-gluten hosts and hosts using matter other than wheat. This made me remember something that happened at my parish … Read More
QUAERITUR: Does wine in a cruet left on the altar also get consecrated?
From a reader: During week day Masses the priest at our parish sometimes has no server. In this circumstance he obviously has to go to the credence table himself to get the gifts. After pouring the water and wine into … Read More
St. John Chrysostom with some … unusual advice
Today in the Ordinary Form calendar it is the feast of St. John Chrysostom (+407). I would guide your attention to a little attended to Letter of Pope Benedict XVI about St. John Chrysostom. I wrote about it here. Also, … Read More
QUAERITUR: Of the Precious Blood, wine, water and dilution
From a reader: Fr., Perhaps one of your ossified manuals would address this. Today at Mass, the priest had a cruet of wine on the altar during the consecration. I am sure he did not intend to consecrate that wine. … Read More
QUAERITUR: What sort of “wine” is valid for Mass?
From a priest: Are there any rules or traditions about the type of wine used the chalice? I know it must be fermented grape juice – but must or can it be it be red, white, sherry, port? It is … Read More