The Pope’s announcement about the resignation overshadowed the other reason for the consistory, that is, saints will be canonized.
CONSISTORY FOR SEVERAL CAUSES OF CANONIZATION
Vatican City, 11 February 2013 (VIS) – This morning at 11:00am in the Consistory Hall of the Apostolic Palace, the Holy Father presided over an ordinary public consistory for the canonization of the blesseds:
- Antonio Primaldo and Companions, martyrs, (1480);
- Laura di Santa Caterina da Siena Montoya y Upegui (1874 -1949), virgin, foundress of the Congregation of the Missionaries of Mary Immaculate and St Catherine of Siena; and
- Maria Guadalupe Garcia Zavala, co-foundress of the Congregation of the Handmaids of St Margaret Mary (Alacoque) and the Poor.
During the course of the consistory, the Pope decreed that blesseds Antonio Primaldo and his companions, Laura di Santa Caterina da Siena Montoya y Upegui and Maria Guadalupe Garcia Zavala be inscribed in the book of saints on Sunday, 12 May 2013.
Who were these people?
- Antonio Primaldo and Companions, martyrs, (1480) -
On 14 August 1480, 800 men were slaughtered by Muslims in Puglia, sourthern Italy. They were exhorted by Antonio, the only one whose name we know, to stand firm and persevere in Christ. See the story HERE.
- Laura di Santa Caterina da Siena Montoya y Upegui
She gave up her dream of being in a Carmelite convent to be a missionary in South America and work with the native peoples. More HERE.
- Maria Guadalupe Garcia Zavala
Co-foundress, worked with the poor in Mexico during the persecution of the Catholic Church. More HERE.