HAM RADIO W9FRZ STATUS
Search Fr. Z’s Blog
SHOPPING ONLINE? Please, always come here first!
I had to change the way that people go to amazon to buy things because... you know... why make it easy?. So, just click the link below. Once you're in, you're good to shop.
Try AmazonFresh Free Trial
Shop Amazon Gold Box - New Deals. Everyday
Shop Amazon Gift Cards - Instant Delivery or Free One-Day Shipping
Try Prime Discounted Monthly Offering
And you do need a Kindle! - HERE
About this blog…
“This blog is like a fusion of the Baroque ‘salon’ with its well-tuned harpsichord around which polite society gathered for entertainment and edification and, on the other hand, a Wild West “saloon” with its out-of-tune piano and swinging doors, where everyone has a gun and something to say. Nevertheless, we try to point our discussions back to what it is to be Catholic in this increasingly difficult age, to love God, and how to get to heaven.” – Fr. Z
Coat of Arms by D Burkart
Do you want to show some appreciation?
Send Snail Mail to Fr. Z
Fr. Z’s Blog is a Founding Member of…
YOUR RECENT COMMENTS
- Andreas: Father Z; You wrote above that “I wouldn’t be surprised if some nitwit labelled this “racist”. After all, isn’t everything that actually makes sense “racist”? Like, say, logic?&...
- TonyO: There is (legitimat ely) wide latitude in polemical works in the use of sharpness of witticisms . If you read the works of some of the saints, you see some pretty sharp language that they...
- TNCath: It’s more stupefying that this goofball has been able to get away with the filth he has been preaching these many years. Anathema.
- Markus: Thank you, Father. We stopped bankruptcy 25 years ago and now it appears that many are just walking away or dying off. There are some great,holy priests in this diocese. There is a tension...
- Sue in soCal: Yay!!! God bless Bishop Wall!
- Semper Gumby: James Martin SJ forgets that priests have read St. Catherine of Siena, St. Teresa of Avila, St. Therese of Lisieux, St. Hildegard, Servant of God Sr. Lucia of FatimaR 30; Deo...
- JustaSinner: Jesus, take Jesuits!
- Anneliese: What a bunch of whiny women. These women are making the Mass about themselves rather than the sacrifice of Christ or worshippin g God. Did you read the comments? One woman, a conve...
- rbbadger: I am a priest of the Diocese of Gallup. However, anything I write here is my own opinion. I do not speak for the Diocese in any official basis. I was a seminarian for this diocese under...
- cdnpriest: I am curious as to why the Collect mentions the three theologica l virtues in the order: hope, faith, and charity, as opposed to the “cor rect” ; order of faith, hope, and...
- GM Thobe: St. Paul certainly did not find it stupefying . I’m glad to see LifeSite make the reference. They are becoming invaluable in my estimation .
- Markus: Diocese, such as Santa Fe, appear to be in deep, deep trouble. Personal observatio ns have noticed that attendance on Sundays is about 50% less than a year ago in the 3 parishes that I have...
- APX: It occurred to me years ago a woman could get away with preaching during Mass by writing a priest’s homilies for him.
- Kathleen10: Love the goings on in the cosmos. I really would like a telescope. Last week EarthSky (such a great website) informed us that at twilight you could see Saturn, the moon, Jupiter and...
- Benedict Joseph: What a difference a few miles makes. “Ad orientem 8221; is verboten in Santa Fe. The local ordinary seems to believe it “dis orients 221; the locals. AUSCP is what...
- rcg: A sense of humor? My goodness, he is a dangerous t.
- Adeo3: This is sooo funny!!!! This is belly laughing material. Thank you for sharing Fr ?
- semperficatholic: This is awesome. My mom and stepdad went to his ordination when they lived in Pinetop AZ. He visited the mountains frequently and my stepdad became known as the BishopR 17;s...
- tho: Father, that video was overwhelmi ng. Everyone on earth should watch it. Thank you.
- Gab: Thank you to both Fathers for this. I am always trying to understand the Mass – I don’ t mean the Latin, I mean in terms of what is occurring during Mass in the atemporal sense.
- mbarry: Thanks for posting this. I need all the help I can get with the “old” mass!
- teomatteo: After about 8 min of baking at 375°F I take ’em out and flip’ ;m over and bake for a couple more minutes to ‘don er’ the other side.
- PostCatholic: Have fun with the madeleines . I remember your post last year and you had excellent results. It being over 100 in heat index where I am, I won’ t join you in baking. Some...
- Southern Catholic: Athelstan is correct, he was let go for abusive behavior on social media, comment boardsm etc. I also agree that it was allowed to go on for too long. It is really sad to see how...
- Chuck4247: There are some things in life worth putting down everything , even things that need doing, in order to attend to. Is listening to Jesus one of them for you?
CLICK and say your daily offerings!
- @JamesMartinSJ – “It is stupefying that women can’t preach”, says the Jesuit. Oh, yeah? Here’s what’s truly stupefying.
- GREAT NEWS! Bp. Wall of @DioceseofGallup will celebrate Sundays ‘ad orientem’
- Earth’s Circular Shadow on the Moon – observed by Aristotle
- VIDEO which could help some participate more fully at the Traditional Latin Mass (and probably Novus Ordo too)
- 22 July: Mary Magdalene – one tough cookie
- ACTION ITEM! I’m Fr. Z and I endorse this ad.
- Your Sunday Sermon Notes
- FEAST DAY! 21 July 1773 – Clement XIV suppressed the Jesuits!
- WDTPRS – 16th Ordinary Sunday: Right now you are being hunted
- Mass texts for St. Elijah, Prophet – 20 July
- 20 July 1969 – Man on the Moon – 50 years ago
- Beans, beans, the musical fruit
- Pres. Trump running for Pope
- Building recruits for the New catholic Red Guards!
- New music from the London Oratory: Sacred Treasures of Spain!
- Toxic Masculinity and Sequels
- What a difference a day made
- ASK FATHER: Traditional “Supplied rites” after emergency or modern rite baptism
- Sick-Call Sets and You
- Day 2 – St. Paul Center Priesthood Conference
- 17 July 1794: “Mother, permission to die?”
- URGENT ACTION ITEM: Note from long-time reader who is dying
- 16 July 1969 – #Apollo11 and Our Lady of Mt Carmel
- Day 1 – St. Paul Center Priesthood Conference
- Mark Shea is sad because seminarians are Catholic
- Amazon Prime Day Discounts
- My View For Awhile: To the East and to priests
- Good VIDEO for people who aren’t familiar with the TLM or with our traditions
- ASK FATHER: Sex before Communion
- Your Sunday Sermon Notes – GO TO CONFESSION! – VIDEO
Let us pray…
Grant unto thy Church, we beseech Thee, O merciful God, that She, being gathered together by the Holy Ghost, may be in no wise troubled by attack from her foes. O God, who by sin art offended and by penance pacified, mercifully regard the prayers of Thy people making supplication unto Thee,and turn away the scourges of Thine anger which we deserve for our sins. Almighty and Everlasting God, in whose Hand are the power and the government of every realm: look down upon and help the Christian people that the heathen nations who trust in the fierceness of their own might may be crushed by the power of thine Arm. Through our Lord Jesus Christ, Thy Son, who liveth and reigneth with Thee in the unity of the Holy Ghost, God, world without end. R. Amen.
This blog has to earn its keep!
PLEASE subscribe if it is useful.
That way I have steady income I can plan on, and you wind up regularly on my list of benefactors for whom I pray and for whom I periodically say Holy Mass.
For a one time donation...
I set up a
CONTINUE TO GIVE
account, which functions rather like PayPal. Some of you use it. Here is a QCode you can use with your smart phones. Try it!
Also, to receive a link to donate via Continue To Give using your smart phone SEND MESSAGE:
4827563 TO: 715-803-4772 (USA)
Some donations also come through CHASE. That works well. I don't think they take any percentage as fees.
Yes, Fr. Z is taking ads…
A great hymnal…
Because it matters what children read…
I carry one of these super-strong rosaries in my spare mag pouch! The Swiss Guards have them too!
My "challenge coin" for my 25th anniversary of ordination in 2016.
Want one? I do exchanges with military and LEOs, etc. and you can make a donation.
PLEASE RESPOND. Pretty pleeeease?Loading ...
WDTPRS POLLLoading ...
Fr. Z’s stuff is everywhere
Help support Fr. Z’s Gospel of Life work at no cost to you. Do you need a Real Estate Agent? Calling these people is the FIRST thing you should do!
GREAT causes to support
Help Monks in Wyoming (coffee – UPDATED LINK) and Norcia (beer) and the wonderful "Soap Sisters" of Summit, NJ!
Please follow me on Twitter!
If you travel internationally, this is a super useful gizmo for your mobile internet data. I use one. If you get one through my link, I get data rewards.
Nota bene: I do not answer these numbers or this Skype address. You won't get me "live". I check for messages regularly.
020 8133 4535
Tag Archives: schism
Speaking of brilliant, you will want to pay attention to the following. Canonist Ed Peters turns the canonical sock about schism, can. 751, inside out. There are two dimensions of schism, you see. The papalatrous catholic Left has probably fallen into … Continue reading
From a reader… QUAERITUR: I have been engaged in a deep theological and spiritual crisis for 10 years now, struggling to remain Catholic or finally cross the Bosphorus and convert to Orthodoxy. [pffffft] It seems that with every passing day, … Continue reading
Some people in the media, especially liberals, when the mention the SSPX, bray that they are “schismatic”. No matter how many times this is clarified, they bray that the SSPX is “schismatic”. No. When I was at the Pontifical … Continue reading
I pay scant attention to Patheos, but for a couple contributors. This caught my eye after a frequent commentator here alerted me. Fr. Dwight Longenecker wrote, with my legendary emphases and comments: Headlines last week were proclaiming that a group of cardinals believe … Continue reading
ASK FATHER: If Orthodox schismatics can receive Communion, why not divorced and remarried (adulterers)?
From a reader… QUAERITUR: “Amoris Latitia” contains the footnote  stating those living in irregular unions can be admitted to holy communion in some circumstances; the idea being that they may be in the state of grace, despite how (objectively) they … Continue reading
From a reader… I’ve heard a lot recently about ordinary priests being given the power to lift excommunications for abortion, what with the Year of Mercy. What about other sins that carry an automatic excommunication, like schism? I left the … Continue reading
From a reader… QUAERITUR: My daughter attended a Christian Youth Camp this summer with her girl friends. She asked me if she could renew her baptism vows in Lake [removed]. [Renew “vows” or “promises”? We do that at Easter. But… in … Continue reading
Michael Voris and his initiative Church Militant have been militating pretty hard these days against the Society of St. Pius X (SSPX – a society of priests, not lay people, having a less than perfect canonical status). Michael is pushing hard that … Continue reading
From a reader… QUAERITUR: Is a person who was baptized a Roman Catholic and later re-baptized in the Coptic Orthodox Church a member in good standing of both Churches who can receive communion in either one? A dear friend of mine was … Continue reading
The upcoming Synod of Bishops in October is probably going to be a knock-down, drag-out over a few issues. The Germans are set on achieving a progressive agenda and have hinted at doing their own thing if the Synod doesn’t … Continue reading
From a reader… QUAERITUR: A church-going Catholic friend of my daughter was asked to officiate at the wedding of a non-Catholic couple, by becoming a “minister” of an on-line “church”. I assume that legally this is permissible as far as … Continue reading
Recently there has been some slightly turbulent discussion in the blogosphere about the canonical status of the Society of St. Pius X, that is, whether or not the SSPX is in “schism”. Some people refer to them as “schismatic”. That … Continue reading
From a reader… QUAERITUR: I’ve tried for many years to stay in the church but simply things get worse here, with the impositions of liberal catholics and bishops who prefer a round of applause rather than defend our faith. I … Continue reading