SHOPPING ONLINE? Please, come here first!
About this blog…“This blog is like a fusion of the Baroque ‘salon’ with its well-tuned harpsichord around which polite society gathered for entertainment and edification and, on the other hand, a Wild West “saloon” with its out-of-tune piano and swinging doors, where everyone has a gun and something to say. Nevertheless, we try to point our discussions back to what it is to be Catholic in this increasingly difficult age, to love God, and how to get to heaven.” – Fr. Z
Coat of Arms by D Burkart
Wonderful about St. Joseph! “Terror of Demons”
PLEASE donate using VENMO!
CLICK and say your daily offerings!
Do you want to show some appreciation?
Do you have a faithful Catholic website that needs competent and reliable tech support?
Fr. Z’s VOICEMAIL
Nota bene: I do not answer these numbers or this Skype address. You won't get me "live". I check for messages regularly.
020 8133 4535
YOUR RECENT COMMENTS
Books which you must have.
I use this when I travel both in these USA and abroad. Very useful. Fast enough for Zoom. I connect my DMR (ham radio) through it. If you use my link, they give me more data. A GREAT back up.
Don’t rely on popes, bishops and priests.
“He [Satan] will set up a counter-Church which will be the ape of the Church because, he the devil, is the ape of God. It will have all the notes and characteristics of the Church, but in reverse and emptied of its divine content. It will be a mystical body of the anti-Christ that will in all externals resemble the mystical body of Christ. In desperate need for God, whom he nevertheless refuses to adore, modern man in his loneliness and frustration will hunger more and more for membership in a community that will give him enlargement of purpose, but at the cost of losing himself in some vague collectivity.”
“Who is going to save our Church? Not our bishops, not our priests and religious. It is up to you, the people. You have the minds, the eyes, and the ears to save the Church. Your mission is to see that your priests act like priests, your bishops act like bishops.”
- Fulton Sheen
Therefore, ACTIVATE YOUR CONFIRMATION and get to work!
Send Snail Mail to Fr. Z
- “The modern habit of doing ceremonial things unceremoniously is no proof of humility; rather it proves the offender's inability to forget himself in the rite, and his readiness to spoil for every one else the proper pleasure of ritual.”
- C.S. Lewis
This blog has to earn its keep!
PLEASE subscribe via PayPal if it is useful.
That way I have steady income I can plan on, and you wind up regularly on my list of benefactors for whom I pray and for whom I periodically say Holy Mass.
In view of the rapidly changing challenges I now face, I would like to add more $10/month subscribers. Will you please help?
For a one time donation...
As for Latin…
"But if, in any layman who is indeed imbued with literature, ignorance of the Latin language, which we can truly call the 'catholic' language, indicates a certain sluggishness in his love toward the Church, how much more fitting it is that each and every cleric should be adequately practiced and skilled in that language!" - Pius XI
"Let us realize that this remark of Cicero (Brutus 37, 140) can be in a certain way referred to [young lay people]: 'It is not so much a matter of distinction to know Latin as it is disgraceful not to know it.'" - St. John Paul II
- #ASonnetADay – Sonnet 145. “Those lips that Love’s own hand did make…”
- A Jesuit’s brilliant notions about needed liturgical reform. What could go wrong?
- 14 April: St. Justin, martyr
- LIVE VIDEO – 14 April 2021 – 1200 NOON CST – Traditional Latin Mass – St Justin, martyr
- Daily Rome Shot 128
- #ASonnetADay – Sonnet 144. “Two loves I have of comfort and despair…”
- Sudden, so far unexplained departure of Philadelphia Carmelites
- LIVE VIDEO – 13 April 2021 – 1200 NOON CST – Traditional Latin Mass – St Hermenegild, martyr
- #ASonnetADay – Sonnet 143. “Lo, as a careful housewife runs to catch…”
- ASK FATHER: “What’s the deal with tarot cards?”
- Daily Rome Shot 127
- Video: WE ARE OUR RITES
- #ASonnetADay – Sonnet 142. “Love is my sin, and thy dear virtue hate…”
- Challenge coin news and questions
- LIVE VIDEO – 12 April 2021 – 1200 NOON CST – Traditional Latin Mass – Votive of the Holy Trinity
- “The constant negativity directed to us priests by…” Wherein Fr. Z relates, reacts, reflects and rants.
- CQ CQ CQ: Ham Radio – #ZedNet reminder – “Low” Sunday 11 April ’21
- #ASonnetADay – Sonnet 141. “In faith, I do not love thee with mine eyes…”
- PASCHALCAzT 2021: 54 – Low “Quasimodo” Sunday: “A question for you!”
- Man who identifies as a woman wants to be admitted to a convent of Poor Clares. Good idea?
- LIVE VIDEO – 10 April 2021 – 1200 NOON CST – Traditional Latin Mass – Easter Saturday “in albis”
- PASCHALCAzT 2021: 53 – Easter Saturday: “Sin is the shipwreck of the soul”
- #ASonnetADay – SONNET 140. “Be wise as thou art cruel; do not press…”
- Is there ice on Mars? It seems that, yes, there is.
- LIVE VIDEO – 9 April 2021 – 1200 NOON CST – Traditional Latin Mass – Easter Friday
- 10-13 June – Guadalajara – Summorum Pontificum Conference
- Daily Rome Shot 126
- PASCHALCAzT 2021: 52 – Easter Friday: Is Christ passing you by?
- #ASonnetADay – SONNET 139. “O call not me to justify the wrong…”
- Daily Rome Shot 125
Let us pray…
Grant unto thy Church, we beseech Thee, O merciful God, that She, being gathered together by the Holy Ghost, may be in no wise troubled by attack from her foes. O God, who by sin art offended and by penance pacified, mercifully regard the prayers of Thy people making supplication unto Thee,and turn away the scourges of Thine anger which we deserve for our sins. Almighty and Everlasting God, in whose Hand are the power and the government of every realm: look down upon and help the Christian people that the heathen nations who trust in the fierceness of their own might may be crushed by the power of thine Arm. Through our Lord Jesus Christ, Thy Son, who liveth and reigneth with Thee in the unity of the Holy Ghost, God, world without end. R. Amen.
Yes, Fr. Z is taking ads…
Be a “Zed-Head”!
My "challenge coin" for my 25th anniversary of ordination in 2016.
Want one? I do exchanges with military and LEOs, etc.
PLEASE RESPOND. Pretty pleeeease?Loading ...
This is really useful when travelling… and also when you aren’t and you need backup internet NOW! I use this for my DMR “Zednet” hotspot when I’m mobile. It’s a ham radio thing.
If you travel internationally, this is a super useful gizmo for your mobile internet data. I use one. If you get one through my link, I get data rewards.
Please use my links when shopping! I depend on your help.
WDTPRS POLLLoading ...
Fr. Z’s stuff is everywhere
Help support Fr. Z’s Gospel of Life work at no cost to you. Do you need a Real Estate Agent? Calling these people is the FIRST thing you should do!
GREAT causes to support
Daily Archives: 3 October 2008
I bet that got your attention. Over at the Lion and the Cardinal I found a great image of the cruel bishop of Mainz, Hatto II. I was intrigued. I hate mice a lot, but I hate cruel 10th century … Read More
GREAT NEWS: Vatican will drop Eucharistic Prayers for Children (Subscribe to RSS Feed) Washington, Oct. 3, 2008 (CWNews.com) – The Vatican plans to remove the Eucharistic Prayers for Children from the authorized prayers of the Roman Missal. [Not to be … Read More
I was out in the Sabine forest today, behind the house enjoying the autumn leaves. I had my little camera with me and took some movies as well as stills. Just experimenting a bit. So, I tinkered with my editing … Read More
I picked this up via Stella Borealis, a blog focused on my native place of Minnesota. It is an interview with the Rector of the St. Paul Seminary, where I did two years of the hardest time of my life … Read More
Better late than never to post this. Archdiocesan Candlelight Family Rosary Procession; Friday, October 3 WORLD APOSTOLATE OF FATIMASAINT PAUL AND MINNEAPOLIS DIOCESAN DIVISION The annual ‘Candlelight Rosary Procession’ is fast approaching. Its purpose isto unite thousands of individuals and … Read More
A question from a priest reader: Hi Fr. Z. Thank you for your work. I have been a priest for sixteen months and have a desire to learn the EF, and some of my parishioners are even asking for it and … Read More
When I returned to the Sabine Farm, I found packages waiting for me from readers who use my amazon wish list. I am over due in thanking those who sent them. I am prompted because Mr. Mail Man on this … Read More
Maybe its my low spirits today, but this strikes me as so very very sad… This is from Damian Thompson’s blog Holy Smoke. Defiant parishioners carry on mowing the lawns of their lost churches Heartbroken parishioners of the West Yorkshire … Read More
I just created a new category: Mail from priests Some of the most interesting feedback and news I get is from priests (and bishops) who are readers. I like to be able to share more mail from priests with WDTPRSers. … Read More
An Australian blogger, Sentire cvm Ecclesia, alerted me to a distressing story. You will remember that in the Diocese of Brisbane, Australia, there was a terrible… and I mean terrible… problem of invalid baptisms being performed by priests who were … Read More
From a priest via e-mail: Dear Fr. Z, Hope all is well. I am enjoying your foodie kick you’ve been on lately. I have 2 very short questions. 1. I remember reading somewhere (and it may have been something in … Read More
This came from a priestly reader: Fr. Z,I thought I’d pass along a piece of fan mail I received after instituting the Benedictine Altar arrangement in my parish. Never a dull moment!Fr _____ Here is the note he received complaining … Read More
I received a nice note from Fr. Eric Kowalski, Pastor of Holy Angels in the Diocese of Charlotte, NC. I hope priests continue to write in. I would like their contributions to be a regular feature here. Let’s have a … Read More
About things that are apparent sometimes I use the phrase "It ain’t astrophysics!"