SHOPPING ONLINE? Please, come here first!
About this blog…“This blog is like a fusion of the Baroque ‘salon’ with its well-tuned harpsichord around which polite society gathered for entertainment and edification and, on the other hand, a Wild West “saloon” with its out-of-tune piano and swinging doors, where everyone has a gun and something to say. Nevertheless, we try to point our discussions back to what it is to be Catholic in this increasingly difficult age, to love God, and how to get to heaven.” – Fr. Z
Coat of Arms by D Burkart
Wonderful about St. Joseph! “Terror of Demons”
PLEASE donate using VENMO!
CLICK and say your daily offerings!
Do you want to show some appreciation?
Do you have a faithful Catholic website that needs competent and reliable tech support?
Fr. Z’s VOICEMAIL
Nota bene: I do not answer these numbers or this Skype address. You won't get me "live". I check for messages regularly.
020 8133 4535
YOUR RECENT COMMENTS
Books which you must have.
I use this when I travel both in these USA and abroad. Very useful. Fast enough for Zoom. I connect my DMR (ham radio) through it. If you use my link, they give me more data. A GREAT back up.
Don’t rely on popes, bishops and priests.
“He [Satan] will set up a counter-Church which will be the ape of the Church because, he the devil, is the ape of God. It will have all the notes and characteristics of the Church, but in reverse and emptied of its divine content. It will be a mystical body of the anti-Christ that will in all externals resemble the mystical body of Christ. In desperate need for God, whom he nevertheless refuses to adore, modern man in his loneliness and frustration will hunger more and more for membership in a community that will give him enlargement of purpose, but at the cost of losing himself in some vague collectivity.”
“Who is going to save our Church? Not our bishops, not our priests and religious. It is up to you, the people. You have the minds, the eyes, and the ears to save the Church. Your mission is to see that your priests act like priests, your bishops act like bishops.”
- Fulton Sheen
Therefore, ACTIVATE YOUR CONFIRMATION and get to work!
Send Snail Mail to Fr. Z
- “The modern habit of doing ceremonial things unceremoniously is no proof of humility; rather it proves the offender's inability to forget himself in the rite, and his readiness to spoil for every one else the proper pleasure of ritual.”
- C.S. Lewis
This blog has to earn its keep!
PLEASE subscribe via PayPal if it is useful.
That way I have steady income I can plan on, and you wind up regularly on my list of benefactors for whom I pray and for whom I periodically say Holy Mass.
In view of the rapidly changing challenges I now face, I would like to add more $10/month subscribers. Will you please help?
For a one time donation...
As for Latin…
"But if, in any layman who is indeed imbued with literature, ignorance of the Latin language, which we can truly call the 'catholic' language, indicates a certain sluggishness in his love toward the Church, how much more fitting it is that each and every cleric should be adequately practiced and skilled in that language!" - Pius XI
"Let us realize that this remark of Cicero (Brutus 37, 140) can be in a certain way referred to [young lay people]: 'It is not so much a matter of distinction to know Latin as it is disgraceful not to know it.'" - St. John Paul II
- PASCHALCAzT 2021: 54 – Low “Quasimodo” Sunday: “A question for you!”
- Man who identifies as a woman wants to be admitted to a convent of Poor Clares. Good idea?
- LIVE VIDEO – 10 April 2021 – 1200 NOON CST – Traditional Latin Mass – Easter Saturday “in albis”
- PASCHALCAzT 2021: 53 – Easter Saturday: “Sin is the shipwreck of the soul”
- #ASonnetADay – SONNET 140. “Be wise as thou art cruel; do not press…”
- Is there ice on Mars? It seems that, yes, there is.
- LIVE VIDEO – 9 April 2021 – 1200 NOON CST – Traditional Latin Mass – Easter Friday
- 10-13 June – Guadalajara – Summorum Pontificum Conference
- Daily Rome Shot 126
- PASCHALCAzT 2021: 52 – Easter Friday: Is Christ passing you by?
- #ASonnetADay – SONNET 139. “O call not me to justify the wrong…”
- Daily Rome Shot 125
- ASK FATHER: Can we eat meat on Friday in the Octave of Easter?
- BOOK: Mysteries of the Lord’s Prayer
- PARIS: Priests arrested because of COVID-1984 guidelines
- PASCHALCAzT 2021: 51 – Easter Thursday: “Virtue is difficult, a prolonged martyrdom.”
- LIVE VIDEO – 8 April 2021 – 1200 NOON CST – Traditional Latin Mass – Easter Thursday
- Vatican “rehabilitation” of … Judas?
- POLL: Traditional Latin Mass with VERNACULAR readings for low Masses
- Fishwrap, La Crock team up with Beans to attack Archbp. Chaput’s new book
- LIVE VIDEO – 7 April 2021 – 1200 NOON CST – Traditional Latin Mass – Easter Wednesday
- Daily Rome Shot 124
- “Gregorian Mass” match ups: available priests with people who have requests
- PASCHALCAzT 2021: 50 – Easter Wednesday: “You are a holy seed, a colony of bees, my joy and my crown”
- Daily Rome Shot 123
- Fr Hans Küng, R.I.P.
- LIVE VIDEO – 6 April 2021 – 1200 NOON CST – Traditional Latin Mass – Easter Tuesday
- PASCHALCAzT 2021: 49 – Easter Tuesday: “The battle of spiritual resurrection”
- The Easter Sequence: Victimae paschali laudes
- #ASonnetADay – SONNET 138. “When my love swears that she is made of truth…”
Let us pray…
Grant unto thy Church, we beseech Thee, O merciful God, that She, being gathered together by the Holy Ghost, may be in no wise troubled by attack from her foes. O God, who by sin art offended and by penance pacified, mercifully regard the prayers of Thy people making supplication unto Thee,and turn away the scourges of Thine anger which we deserve for our sins. Almighty and Everlasting God, in whose Hand are the power and the government of every realm: look down upon and help the Christian people that the heathen nations who trust in the fierceness of their own might may be crushed by the power of thine Arm. Through our Lord Jesus Christ, Thy Son, who liveth and reigneth with Thee in the unity of the Holy Ghost, God, world without end. R. Amen.
Yes, Fr. Z is taking ads…
Be a “Zed-Head”!
My "challenge coin" for my 25th anniversary of ordination in 2016.
Want one? I do exchanges with military and LEOs, etc.
PLEASE RESPOND. Pretty pleeeease?Loading ...
This is really useful when travelling… and also when you aren’t and you need backup internet NOW! I use this for my DMR “Zednet” hotspot when I’m mobile. It’s a ham radio thing.
If you travel internationally, this is a super useful gizmo for your mobile internet data. I use one. If you get one through my link, I get data rewards.
Please use my links when shopping! I depend on your help.
WDTPRS POLLLoading ...
Fr. Z’s stuff is everywhere
Help support Fr. Z’s Gospel of Life work at no cost to you. Do you need a Real Estate Agent? Calling these people is the FIRST thing you should do!
GREAT causes to support
Daily Archives: 6 April 2009
This story from The Times is of interest to both the kooky and the well-balanced alike! My emphases and comments. From The TimesApril 6, 2009Knights Templar hid the Shroud of Turin, says Vatican Richard Owen in Rome Medieval knights hid … Read More
From a reader: Having entered Holy Week I’m confronted with an annual problem. What do we do with blessed Palms received on Palm Sunday, or the crosses made with them? They dry out through the week and, inevitably, pile up … Read More
On the blog of the Acton Institute Fr. Robert Sirico has posted his letter to Fr. Jenkins, Pres. of the University of Notre Shame. My emphases and comments. Dear Fr. Jenkins: You are, no doubt, being inundated with letters, phone … Read More
Sadly I report that an Austin, TX media outlet has posted that the body of the missing Fr. Eurest has been found. Please pray for him.
Every year I get e-mails about priests who will not hear confessions during the Triduum, especially on Good Friday. They say the directions in the Missal forbid confessions. Wrong. Some priests, liturgical experts, and even diocesan liturgy offices wrongly claim … Read More
A reader alerted me to this piece in the Ave Herald: My emphases and comments in this excerpt. Fr. Tatman: "We’re Off to a Wonderful Start" Tuesday, 31 March 2009 08:34 It was not a typical parish appointment, and … Read More
A reader sent this interesting bit. While browsing through my parish’s historical archives (i.e., the closet for all the stuff that no one knows what to do with,) I came across a copy of the parish’s Holy Week schedule from … Read More
Do you remember that Holy Mass for Palm Sunday was going to be celebrated in Providence, RI, in the Braga Rite? Photos.
In your goodness would you pray for an intention? Please pray for Father Robert Parent in Lewiston, Maine. Apparently he collaspsed during Mass on Palm Sunday and was taken to hospital. He is the only priest in the state of … Read More
In The Telegraph we find this piece with some good news… and some errors. My emphases and comments. Priests stop [is that a use of the imperative?] saying ‘good morning’ to their congregationsCatholic priests have stopped [apparently not…] saying "good … Read More
I was pretty irritated by the choice of the Belgian Parliament to chastise Pope Benedict, who – besides being a religious leader is a head of state. It is remarkable to me that a government which has such a notorious … Read More
From a reader: Perhaps others have already contacted you about this, but I believe you could be very helpful in this and therefore, I will bring it to your attention also. Today, the coalition of students against President Obama’s invitation … Read More
A kind reader sent the following transcript of the exchange between Chris Wallace and former Speaker of the House Newt Gingrich, who has just been received into the Catholic Church. Congressional Quarterly has posted a transcript of “Fox News Sunday,” … Read More