SHOPPING ONLINE? Please, come here first!
About this blog…
“This blog is like a fusion of the Baroque ‘salon’ with its well-tuned harpsichord around which polite society gathered for entertainment and edification and, on the other hand, a Wild West “saloon” with its out-of-tune piano and swinging doors, where everyone has a gun and something to say. Nevertheless, we try to point our discussions back to what it is to be Catholic in this increasingly difficult age, to love God, and how to get to heaven.” – Fr. Z
Coat of Arms by D Burkart
Wonderful about St. Joseph! “Terror of Demons”
ABORTION PILL RESCUE NETWORK
- The most evident mark of God’s anger and the most terrible castigation He can inflict upon the world are manifested when He permits His people to fall into the hands of clerics who are priests more in name than in deed, priests who practice the cruelty of ravening wolves rather than the charity and affection of devoted shepherds.
St. John Eudes
Donate using VENMO
GREAT BEER from Traditional Benedictine Monks in Italy
CLICK and say your daily offerings!
Do you want to show some appreciation?
Do you have a faithful Catholic website that needs competent and reliable tech support?
NEW OPPORTUNITY – 10% off with code: FATHERZ10
Fr. Z’s VOICEMAIL
Nota bene: I do not answer these numbers or this Skype address. You won't get me "live". I check for messages regularly.
020 8133 4535
YOUR RECENT COMMENTS
Books which you must have.
This REALLY helps! And it’s great coffee (and tea)
I use this when I travel both in these USA and abroad. Very useful. Fast enough for Zoom. I connect my DMR (ham radio) through it. If you use my link, they give me more data. A GREAT back up.
Don’t rely on popes, bishops and priests.
“He [Satan] will set up a counter-Church which will be the ape of the Church because, he the devil, is the ape of God. It will have all the notes and characteristics of the Church, but in reverse and emptied of its divine content. It will be a mystical body of the anti-Christ that will in all externals resemble the mystical body of Christ. In desperate need for God, whom he nevertheless refuses to adore, modern man in his loneliness and frustration will hunger more and more for membership in a community that will give him enlargement of purpose, but at the cost of losing himself in some vague collectivity.”
“Who is going to save our Church? Not our bishops, not our priests and religious. It is up to you, the people. You have the minds, the eyes, and the ears to save the Church. Your mission is to see that your priests act like priests, your bishops act like bishops.”
- Fulton Sheen
Therefore, ACTIVATE YOUR CONFIRMATION and get to work!
Send Snail Mail to Fr. Z
- “The modern habit of doing ceremonial things unceremoniously is no proof of humility; rather it proves the offender's inability to forget himself in the rite, and his readiness to spoil for every one else the proper pleasure of ritual.”
- C.S. Lewis
This blog has to earn its keep!
PLEASE subscribe via PayPal if it is useful.
That way I have steady income I can plan on, and you wind up regularly on my list of benefactors for whom I pray and for whom I periodically say Holy Mass.
In view of the rapidly changing challenges I now face, I would like to add more $10/month subscribers. Will you please help?
For a one time donation...
As for Latin…
"But if, in any layman who is indeed imbued with literature, ignorance of the Latin language, which we can truly call the 'catholic' language, indicates a certain sluggishness in his love toward the Church, how much more fitting it is that each and every cleric should be adequately practiced and skilled in that language!" - Pius XI
"Let us realize that this remark of Cicero (Brutus 37, 140) can be in a certain way referred to [young lay people]: 'It is not so much a matter of distinction to know Latin as it is disgraceful not to know it.'" - St. John Paul II
- Daily Rome Shot 530, etc.
- 10 August: Wonderful Collect for St. Lawrence
- Daily Rome Shot 529, etc.
- “The sky is crying…” – The Vigil and Tears of St. Lawrence
- Daily Rome Shot 528, etc.
- Wherein Fr. Z rants and recommends a must read entry at NLM
- Meanwhile, the Novus Ordo is the only expression of the Roman Rite… not.
- ASK FATHER: The faithful put blood, sweat, and tears into the building, revival of churches, parishes. Given how bishops treat them, is there recourse in Canon Law?
- Your Sunday Sermon Notes: 9th Sunday after Pentecost (N.O. 19th Sunday)
- Daily Rome Shot 527, etc.
- If a law isn’t accepted, it is essentially no law at all. Traditionis? Time will tell. Novus Ordo? Time has told.
- ASK FATHER: Considering the chaos surrounding ‘Traditionis custodes” could we say that, in effect, it is no law at all?
- Daily Rome Shot 526, etc.
- FATHERS! LAITY! Are you ready?
- Daily Rome Shot 525, etc.
- ASK FATHER: I failed to do my confession penance. Now what?
- Daily Rome Shot 524, etc.
- Daily Rome Shot 523, etc.
- Hilarious statement from the Archdiocese of Chicago about the suppression of the Institute of Christ the King
- ASK FATHER: Should displaced Catholics attend the Novus Ordo? Wherein Fr. Z rants.
- Just Too Cool: Mars rover Curiosity is 10 years old
- VIDEO – A message from Card. Burke to the readership of Fr. Z’s Blog
- Daily Rome Shot 522, etc.
- “Si vis pacem para bellum!” Traditional Catholic Activism? Possible? Necessary? Unavoidable? A mind exercise.
- Daily Rome Shot 521, etc. and…
- Daily Rome Shot 520, etc.
- 3.5% of a group can bring the group down, turn it around, or take it over.
- “Beautiful? The FAITHFUL paid for that. Because they WANTED it. And they trusted. They trusted.”
- Invoking “Grandmother of the West”….? What is THAT all about?
- Daily Rome Shot 519, etc.
Let us pray…
Grant unto thy Church, we beseech Thee, O merciful God, that She, being gathered together by the Holy Ghost, may be in no wise troubled by attack from her foes. O God, who by sin art offended and by penance pacified, mercifully regard the prayers of Thy people making supplication unto Thee,and turn away the scourges of Thine anger which we deserve for our sins. Almighty and Everlasting God, in whose Hand are the power and the government of every realm: look down upon and help the Christian people that the heathen nations who trust in the fierceness of their own might may be crushed by the power of thine Arm. Through our Lord Jesus Christ, Thy Son, who liveth and reigneth with Thee in the unity of the Holy Ghost, God, world without end. R. Amen.
Yes, Fr. Z is taking ads…
Be a “Zed-Head”!
My "challenge coin" for my 25th anniversary of ordination in 2016.
Want one? I do exchanges with military and LEOs, etc.
PLEASE RESPOND. Pretty pleeeease?Loading ...
This is really useful when travelling… and also when you aren’t and you need backup internet NOW! I use this for my DMR “Zednet” hotspot when I’m mobile. It’s a ham radio thing.
If you travel internationally, this is a super useful gizmo for your mobile internet data. I use one. If you get one through my link, I get data rewards.
Please use my links when shopping! I depend on your help.
WDTPRS POLLLoading ...
Fr. Z’s stuff is everywhere
Help support Fr. Z’s Gospel of Life work at no cost to you. Do you need a Real Estate Agent? Calling these people is the FIRST thing you should do!
GREAT causes to support
Monthly Archives: October 2009
I am watching the launch of Ares via NASA TV. While watching I am chatting with a friend in Rome. He just reminded me that the Moon is under the jurisdiction of the Diocese of Rome. When man colonizes the … Read More
From a reader: If you are a Catholic of the Latin Rite in an area where there is a Latin Rite church & an Eastern Rite church, might you attend Mass & receive communion in the Eastern Rite church or … Read More
From a reader: "Beginning this past Sunday St. Paul’s Church, Christian Street in Philadelphia began having a weekly Latin Mass in the Extraordinary Form of the Roman Rite. The parish is located in South Philadelphia and encompasses both St. Paul’s … Read More
From CNA: Vatican begins dialogue with Society of St. Pius X Vatican City, Oct 26, 2009 / 02:23 pm (CNA).- A meeting today between representatives of the Society of St. Pius X (SSPX) and officials from the Vatican identified the … Read More
So much of what people send me is simply dreadful. Here is a nice piece to lift the spirit! [9-year old X’s] 7-year old sister needed a monstrance for her St. Clare costume (for the parish festival alternative to Halloween … Read More
Have any really good news? Graces in your life?
Here is an interesting piece from LifeSite News. Nun Volunteering as Abortion Clinic Escort in IllinoisSr. Quinn’s prioress said in an email response to LSN that the nun sees her volunteer activity as "accompanying women who are verbally abused by … Read More
In the Catholic Review of the Archdiocese of Baltimore comes this CNS story. On 22 October His Excellency Most Rev. Donald W. Trautman, Bishop of Erie, gave a talk at Catholic University of American in which he ran down the … Read More
I have 365 e-mails waiting. That is light. On week days it is closer to 800. Please understand if I don’t repond right away… or ever. Please?
From The Telegraph comes this piece by a retired British diplomat who spent most of his career in China and Germany. He is an active member of the Labour Party. My emphases and comments: Tim Collard As an Anglican, I … Read More
I predicted that the left would go into a grand mal twit. Today’s number of Hell’s Bible has the perfect example. The New York Times continues to showcase Maureen Dowd, whom I stopped reading a long time ago. But several … Read More
I once knew limerick, a clean limerick that began something like… There was once Bishop of Chichester,who three times repeated things, which is ter… I don’t remember the rest. But I did find this interesting from the Telegraph with my … Read More
From AP: My emphases and comments: SC Episcopalians to distance from national church MOUNT PLEASANT, S.C. (AP) — The Diocese of South Carolina voted Saturday to distance itself but not completely split from the national Episcopal Church because of church … Read More
Too often today we hear that emptiest of phrases: "I’m here for you." That is nearly never true … until it is. And it is in this. Special and subtle it started with the image of a man’s shoes dancing… … Read More
I dissected a hymn to Christ the King in PODCAzT 74.
For those priests who may be called on tomorrow to sing the Mass for the Feast of Christ the King (the Last Sunday in October in the older, traditional Roman Calendar), there is a PRAYERCAzT available.
I am sure you heard, but Card. Turkson has replaced Card. Martino at the Pont. Council for Justice and Peace. In a rather unusual move, the Holy Father announced this viva voce at a lunch for the members of the … Read More
From my weekly column in The Wanderer: What Does the Prayer Really Say? Last Sunday in October – Christ the King (1962 Missale Romanum) […] Each year Holy Church presents to us the history of salvation, from Creation to the … Read More
From a reader: I just wanted to pass onto you this tip I received about the Apostolic Visitation of U.S. Women Religious. The second part of the questionnaire sent by Mother Clare Millea to superiors general of the American women … Read More