SHOPPING ONLINE? Please, come here first!
About this blog…
“This blog is like a fusion of the Baroque ‘salon’ with its well-tuned harpsichord around which polite society gathered for entertainment and edification and, on the other hand, a Wild West “saloon” with its out-of-tune piano and swinging doors, where everyone has a gun and something to say. Nevertheless, we try to point our discussions back to what it is to be Catholic in this increasingly difficult age, to love God, and how to get to heaven.” – Fr. Z
Coat of Arms by D Burkart
Wonderful about St. Joseph! “Terror of Demons”
ABORTION PILL RESCUE NETWORK
- The most evident mark of God’s anger and the most terrible castigation He can inflict upon the world are manifested when He permits His people to fall into the hands of clerics who are priests more in name than in deed, priests who practice the cruelty of ravening wolves rather than the charity and affection of devoted shepherds.
St. John Eudes
YOUR RECENT COMMENTS
I am delighted to have been approved as an affiliate of Chess.com and House of Staunton.
Do you want to show some appreciation?
Your support is important. Thanks in advance.
To donate monthly via Continue To Give use your phone's camera to activate the Q code or text 4827563 to 715-803-4772 (US) for a link.
For Zelle and Chase, etc., use
frz AT wdtprs DOT com.
Use FATHERZ10 at checkout for 10% off
Donate using VENMO
GREAT BEER from Traditional Benedictine Monks in Italy
CLICK and say your daily offerings!
Do you have a faithful Catholic website that needs competent and reliable tech support?
NEW OPPORTUNITY – 10% off with code: FATHERZ10
Fr. Z’s VOICEMAIL
Nota bene: I do not answer these numbers or this Skype address. You won't get me "live". I check for messages regularly.
020 8133 4535
Books which you must have.
This REALLY helps! And it’s great coffee (and tea)
I use this when I travel both in these USA and abroad. Very useful. Fast enough for Zoom. I connect my DMR (ham radio) through it. If you use my link, they give me more data. A GREAT back up.
Don’t rely on popes, bishops and priests.
“He [Satan] will set up a counter-Church which will be the ape of the Church because, he the devil, is the ape of God. It will have all the notes and characteristics of the Church, but in reverse and emptied of its divine content. It will be a mystical body of the anti-Christ that will in all externals resemble the mystical body of Christ. In desperate need for God, whom he nevertheless refuses to adore, modern man in his loneliness and frustration will hunger more and more for membership in a community that will give him enlargement of purpose, but at the cost of losing himself in some vague collectivity.”
“Who is going to save our Church? Not our bishops, not our priests and religious. It is up to you, the people. You have the minds, the eyes, and the ears to save the Church. Your mission is to see that your priests act like priests, your bishops act like bishops.”
- Fulton Sheen
Therefore, ACTIVATE YOUR CONFIRMATION and get to work!
Send Snail Mail to Fr. Z
- “The modern habit of doing ceremonial things unceremoniously is no proof of humility; rather it proves the offender's inability to forget himself in the rite, and his readiness to spoil for every one else the proper pleasure of ritual.”
- C.S. Lewis
This blog has to earn its keep!
PLEASE subscribe via PayPal if it is useful.
That way I have steady income I can plan on, and you wind up regularly on my list of benefactors for whom I pray and for whom I periodically say Holy Mass.
In view of the rapidly changing challenges I now face, I would like to add more $10/month subscribers. Will you please help?
For a one time donation...
As for Latin…
"But if, in any layman who is indeed imbued with literature, ignorance of the Latin language, which we can truly call the 'catholic' language, indicates a certain sluggishness in his love toward the Church, how much more fitting it is that each and every cleric should be adequately practiced and skilled in that language!" - Pius XI
"Let us realize that this remark of Cicero (Brutus 37, 140) can be in a certain way referred to [young lay people]: 'It is not so much a matter of distinction to know Latin as it is disgraceful not to know it.'" - St. John Paul II
- Small groups as a method of controlling the agenda
- 4 October 2023… what a day!
- 4-7 October: Pachamama Atonement Days – ACTION ITEMS!
- Conference in Rome on “The Synodal Tower of Babel” the day before “Walking Together on Walking Togetherity”
- Fr. Thomas G. Weinandy follows up on his essay four years ago: “Pope Francis and Schism”
- ROME 23/10 – Day 03: Consolations and lots of tomatoes
- But WAIT! There’s MORE! Card. Duka of Prague sent DUBIA about Communion for the divorced and remarried. RESPONDED!
- ROME 23/10 – Day 01-02: On the ground and in my digs
- New “DUBIA” Submitted to Francis about the Synodality (“walking togetherity”), same-sex blessings, ordination of women, shifting doctrine
- ROME 23/10 – Day -00: 18th Sunday after Pentecost
- Your Sunday Sermon Notes – 18th Sunday after Pentecost (N.O.: 26th) 2023
- UPDATED: My View For Awhile: Rome-ward – CANCELLED and REBOOKED
- ASK FATHER: Is the dome of St. Peter’s in Rome turning black?
- Daily Rome Shot 809
- A Roman Mystery: The Lost Tomb of St. Jerome
- Daily Rome Shot 808
- VIDEO about making a good confession with some additional notes
- Bishop Schneider’s Prayer for the Synod on Synodality
- WDTPRS – Collect for the 26th Sunday of Ordinary Time (Novus Ordo): “the bowels of compassion”
- Daily Rome Shot 807
- My View For Awhile: The first leg
- Daily Rome Shot 806 – Wherein a reader grouses and a nexus with “walking togetherity”
- Daily Rome Shot 805
- Adventures in Sunday Worship: St. Anne’s UPDATE and some liturgical dance in New York
- Daily Rome Shot 804
- Prayer request for an amazing priest blogger
- Your Sunday Sermon Notes – 17th Sunday after Pentecost (N.O.: 25th) 2023
- Daily Rome Shot 803
- LONG LOST AUDIO of funny Latin speech about how Latin is spoken with different accents
Let us pray…
Grant unto thy Church, we beseech Thee, O merciful God, that She, being gathered together by the Holy Ghost, may be in no wise troubled by attack from her foes. O God, who by sin art offended and by penance pacified, mercifully regard the prayers of Thy people making supplication unto Thee,and turn away the scourges of Thine anger which we deserve for our sins. Almighty and Everlasting God, in whose Hand are the power and the government of every realm: look down upon and help the Christian people that the heathen nations who trust in the fierceness of their own might may be crushed by the power of thine Arm. Through our Lord Jesus Christ, Thy Son, who liveth and reigneth with Thee in the unity of the Holy Ghost, God, world without end. R. Amen.
Be a “Zed-Head”!
My "challenge coin" for my 25th anniversary of ordination in 2016.
Want one? I do exchanges with military and LEOs, etc.
PLEASE RESPOND. Pretty pleeeease?Loading ...
This is really useful when travelling… and also when you aren’t and you need backup internet NOW! I use this for my DMR “Zednet” hotspot when I’m mobile. It’s a ham radio thing.
If you travel internationally, this is a super useful gizmo for your mobile internet data. I use one. If you get one through my link, I get data rewards.
Please use my links when shopping! I depend on your help.
WDTPRS POLLLoading ...
Fr. Z’s stuff is everywhere
Help support Fr. Z’s Gospel of Life work at no cost to you. Do you need a Real Estate Agent? Calling these people is the FIRST thing you should do!
GREAT causes to support
Daily Archives: 1 January 2011
Here is a taste of the beginning of the Holy Father’s sermon for 1 January, Mary, Mother of God, in my translation. I suppose the whole thing will be translated eventually elsewhere. Once again enveloped in the spiritual atmosphere of … Read More
First… this deeply offensive development: NCR’s very first “Person of the Year”: Sr. Carol Keehan As they scroll along… Happy New Year of Salvation 2011! And… What were the biggest stories of 2010? And… QUAERITUR: Stole over chasuble, or “What … Read More
A reader asked: Can/Should the stole be worn outside the chasuble by the celebrant during Mass? No. This was obviously asked because some priest out there is wearing his stole over the chasuble. And I’ll bet all the money in … Read More
Benedict XVI is the Pope of Christian Unity I admire courage. Fr. Seán Finnegan has a post about the reception of the Anglican bishops into the Roman Church at Westminster Cathedral in London. History Being Made One of my jobs … Read More
Allow me first to rant: I understand that transferring major feasts to a Sunday can have the “pastoral” aim of exposing more people to the mystery the feast celebrates. But… for the love of God… Ascension Thursday is on Thursday … Read More
I wish all of you a Holy and Happy New Year of Salvation. As the Holy Father said during 1st Vespers for the feast, we submit this year to the judgment of God even as we remember with joy what … Read More
From a reader: In my diocese the Solemnity of the Epiphany is celebrated tomorrow rather than on the sixth. Which Vespers therefore takes precedence? Second Vespers of the Solemnity of Mary, Mother of God or First Vespers of the Epiphany? … Read More
I believe you all know that recently the “Don’t Ask – Don’t Tell” policy (DADT) for the US Military was overturned. Also, last Sunday His Eminence Donald Card. Wuerl was interviewed by Chris Wallace on Fox News Sunday and was … Read More
From a reader: I’m just returning from a confession where the priest used the words “He absolves” instead of “I absolve.” The priest was a Benedictine who is the pastor of a Diocesan parish. So do I write to the … Read More
BENEDICT XVI’S PRAYER INTENTIONS FOR JANUARY 2011 General Intention: That the riches of creation be preserved, valued and made available to all, as a precious gifts from God to mankind. Missionary Intention: That Christians may achieve full unity, bearing witness … Read More
What were the biggest Catholic stories of 2010? Let’s get some suggestions and then maybe I can organize a poll for some voting.