SHOPPING ONLINE? Please, come here first!
About this blog…
“This blog is like a fusion of the Baroque ‘salon’ with its well-tuned harpsichord around which polite society gathered for entertainment and edification and, on the other hand, a Wild West “saloon” with its out-of-tune piano and swinging doors, where everyone has a gun and something to say. Nevertheless, we try to point our discussions back to what it is to be Catholic in this increasingly difficult age, to love God, and how to get to heaven.” – Fr. Z
Coat of Arms by D Burkart
Wonderful about St. Joseph! “Terror of Demons”
- The most evident mark of God’s anger and the most terrible castigation He can inflict upon the world are manifested when He permits His people to fall into the hands of clerics who are priests more in name than in deed, priests who practice the cruelty of ravening wolves rather than the charity and affection of devoted shepherds.
St. John Eudes
Donate using VENMO
GREAT BEER from Traditional Benedictine Monks in Italy
CLICK and say your daily offerings!
Do you want to show some appreciation?
Do you have a faithful Catholic website that needs competent and reliable tech support?
NEW OPPORTUNITY – 10% off with code: FATHERZ10
Fr. Z’s VOICEMAIL
Nota bene: I do not answer these numbers or this Skype address. You won't get me "live". I check for messages regularly.
020 8133 4535
YOUR RECENT COMMENTS
Books which you must have.
This REALLY helps! And it’s great coffee (and tea)
I use this when I travel both in these USA and abroad. Very useful. Fast enough for Zoom. I connect my DMR (ham radio) through it. If you use my link, they give me more data. A GREAT back up.
Don’t rely on popes, bishops and priests.
“He [Satan] will set up a counter-Church which will be the ape of the Church because, he the devil, is the ape of God. It will have all the notes and characteristics of the Church, but in reverse and emptied of its divine content. It will be a mystical body of the anti-Christ that will in all externals resemble the mystical body of Christ. In desperate need for God, whom he nevertheless refuses to adore, modern man in his loneliness and frustration will hunger more and more for membership in a community that will give him enlargement of purpose, but at the cost of losing himself in some vague collectivity.”
“Who is going to save our Church? Not our bishops, not our priests and religious. It is up to you, the people. You have the minds, the eyes, and the ears to save the Church. Your mission is to see that your priests act like priests, your bishops act like bishops.”
- Fulton Sheen
Therefore, ACTIVATE YOUR CONFIRMATION and get to work!
Send Snail Mail to Fr. Z
- “The modern habit of doing ceremonial things unceremoniously is no proof of humility; rather it proves the offender's inability to forget himself in the rite, and his readiness to spoil for every one else the proper pleasure of ritual.”
- C.S. Lewis
This blog has to earn its keep!
PLEASE subscribe via PayPal if it is useful.
That way I have steady income I can plan on, and you wind up regularly on my list of benefactors for whom I pray and for whom I periodically say Holy Mass.
In view of the rapidly changing challenges I now face, I would like to add more $10/month subscribers. Will you please help?
For a one time donation...
As for Latin…
"But if, in any layman who is indeed imbued with literature, ignorance of the Latin language, which we can truly call the 'catholic' language, indicates a certain sluggishness in his love toward the Church, how much more fitting it is that each and every cleric should be adequately practiced and skilled in that language!" - Pius XI
"Let us realize that this remark of Cicero (Brutus 37, 140) can be in a certain way referred to [young lay people]: 'It is not so much a matter of distinction to know Latin as it is disgraceful not to know it.'" - St. John Paul II
- ROME 22/06 – Day 32: My View For Awhile
- 1 July – Most Precious Blood and also the Feasts of St. Junipero Serra and St. Aaron, brother of Moses
- ROME 22/06 – Day 31: Someone saw the list… no… the Letter!
- Look at more of “Desiderio desideravi”
- You have seen the logo for the 2025 Jubilee? – UPDATED
- 29 June 1972. Paul VI says, “the smoke of Satan has entered the Church of God”
- Francis’ NEW “Desiderio desideravi” an Apostolic Letter “on the liturgical formation of the people of God” – an attempt to explain Traditionis custodes, to calm the storm
- Batten down the hatches!
- ASK FATHER: Are we obliged to avoid businesses which will pay for employees’ abortion?
- ROME 22/06 – Day 28: Guess the meat
- In your goodness, pray for falsely accused priests and canceled priests
- ROME 22/06 – Day 26: Indulgences and indulgences
- Your Sunday Sermon Notes: 3rd Sunday after Pentecost (N.O. 13th Sunday)
- ROME 22/06 – Day 25: Really day 26, but… hey!
- ROME 22/06 – Day 24: “talkin’ ’bout my g-g-generation”
- It’s as if the stars aligned on 24 June
- ROME 22/06 – Day 23: Resistance is futile
- On this Feast of the Sacred Heart, when SCOTUS overturned Roe, remember that “Abortion Pill” use will be pushed hard by the Left, and that there is a SAFE REVERSAL after the first pill. @HeartbeatIntl
- US SUPREME COURT issued Opinion on Dobbs v. Jackson – ROE and CASEY OVERTURNED
- “Perdonamose!” St. John’s Birthday Feast and Midsummer Snails
- ASK FATHER: Pork butt for the Sacred Heart
- What do we do when we synodize?
- ASK FATHER: Does the humeral veil contradict in the use of Eucharistic ministers?
- ROME 22/06 – Day 22: “Even in another church St. Rita is sad… about… you know.”
- Vatican Synod’s (“walking together”) on spirituality of synodality (“walking togetherality”) is coming: The merciful heart loves… demons.
- ASK FATHER: What if 100 priests wanted to leave a diocese because of the bishop?
- LOOK! UP IN THE SKY!
- 22 June in the Novus Ordo: St. John Fisher and St. Thomas More
- ASK FATHER: Bishop bully: You have the right to kneel, but not to a kneeler.
- ROME 22/06 – Day 21: Different kinds of pawns
Let us pray…
Grant unto thy Church, we beseech Thee, O merciful God, that She, being gathered together by the Holy Ghost, may be in no wise troubled by attack from her foes. O God, who by sin art offended and by penance pacified, mercifully regard the prayers of Thy people making supplication unto Thee,and turn away the scourges of Thine anger which we deserve for our sins. Almighty and Everlasting God, in whose Hand are the power and the government of every realm: look down upon and help the Christian people that the heathen nations who trust in the fierceness of their own might may be crushed by the power of thine Arm. Through our Lord Jesus Christ, Thy Son, who liveth and reigneth with Thee in the unity of the Holy Ghost, God, world without end. R. Amen.
Yes, Fr. Z is taking ads…
Be a “Zed-Head”!
My "challenge coin" for my 25th anniversary of ordination in 2016.
Want one? I do exchanges with military and LEOs, etc.
PLEASE RESPOND. Pretty pleeeease?Loading ...
This is really useful when travelling… and also when you aren’t and you need backup internet NOW! I use this for my DMR “Zednet” hotspot when I’m mobile. It’s a ham radio thing.
If you travel internationally, this is a super useful gizmo for your mobile internet data. I use one. If you get one through my link, I get data rewards.
Please use my links when shopping! I depend on your help.
WDTPRS POLLLoading ...
Fr. Z’s stuff is everywhere
Help support Fr. Z’s Gospel of Life work at no cost to you. Do you need a Real Estate Agent? Calling these people is the FIRST thing you should do!
GREAT causes to support
Monthly Archives: May 2019
Holy Church has given two great gifts to all of humanity: art and saints. Both art and saints reflect God’s beauty and, therefore, call to each man to recognize also what is good and what is true. Art reflects God’s … Read More
Are in or near Chicagoland? Check this out. On Friday, May 31st, thousands will pray and walk for peace in Chicago with a broken statue of the Virgin Mary. https://t.co/YaVYaMsl6p pic.twitter.com/p5zFPVJ7gY — St John Cantius (@SJCantius) May 13, 2019 Go … Read More
I noted at LifeSite something which is personally upsetting. It concerns a friend and old prof of mine at the Augustinianum, the Patristic Institute, in Rome. Prof. Rist taught at the Augustinianum for years. He is a serious and well-known … Read More
A warning from recent history about changes to the CDF and notes about authentic and deficient “evangelization”
A priest friend sent this around to a select group. I think more people should know about it. As we read about the proposed Curial “reforms” Ottaviani reminds us that the seeds for this were sown by Paul VI another … Read More
ASK FATHER: “Priest screws around with order of Mass. Should I mind my own business?” @FatherZ rants, advises.
From a reader… QUAERITUR: Our priest always reverses the order of the peace and the fraction. Specifically, he observes the following order: Our Father, embolism, doxology. Prayer for the peace of Christ. Fraction and commingling. Exchange of peace. Agnus Dei. … Read More
Let us, upon our knees, pray in a special way to God the Holy Spirit during this time between Ascension Thursday and Pentecost. This is one way to pray. I invite the readership to join in. MANNER OF PRAYING THE … Read More
You will recall that a friend of mine’s airplane went into the river on landing at NAS JAX and he lost his vestments. I started a fundraiser to have new vestments made at Gammarelli in Rome. Gammarelli sent photos of … Read More
Tonight at 6:30 PM at St. Mary’s in Pine Bluff we will have a Solemn Mass for the Feast of the Ascension of the Lord… because it is Ascension THURSDAY… today. A priest friend wrote this morning: “Today we have … Read More
Here is something I wrote a loooong time ago – 2006 – for an WDTPRS article in the print version of The Wanderer. I had a column there for 11 years. …(I)n some places the Feast of the Ascension, which … Read More
I’ve been saying Masses for benefactors in Rome, with a couple of interruptions for other issues. However, unless something super big pops up, I’ll say Mass for benefactors – those who regularly contribution donations by subscription or recently ad hoc, … Read More
From a reader… QUAERITUR: With priest assignments currently being announced, I am curious about the difference between a Pastor and a Parochial Administrator. If a Pastor is reassigned to another parish as an Administrator, is that a lateral or a … Read More
We know that, in a few years, the inexorable force of demographics will massively reduce the numbers of people in the pews, people who even lightly suggest that they are Catholic, the number of priests, the properties the Church holds… … Read More
Some shots from my anniversary day in Rome and today. First things first. CHEESE! I hadn’t bought cheese from this guy before, but I tried some and it was simply marvelous. And, of course, Holy Mass in the morning. I … Read More
There’s an important post at the UK’s Catholic Herald today. It has to do with the HERE I’m always going on about how, for success, every initiative we undertake in the Church has to start in and go back to … Read More
I’m behind on my travelogue. May I make this a quick one? An advantage to an apartment is that you can make breakfast when you want from leftovers. Out of order.. which drink is mine? This is NOT breakfast. But … Read More
From a priest: QUAERITUR: Father, you stated: “Create a vacuum and something else will rush in to fill it. Think of this in our human, lived experience. If you have a bad habit, you will more than likely never break … Read More
A friend – quite the eclectic reader – sent an interesting piece from The Telegraph of a few years back. 10 Great Meals In Literature Wow. Great idea. How did the selector do? Let’s see. 1) Mad Hatters Tea … Read More
What an easy way the forces of Hell have found to bring down good priests and bishops. First, through agents and for decades undermine the Church’s identity through dreadful preaching and worse liturgy. Then, as society swirls on its parallel … Read More