SHOPPING ONLINE? Please, come here first!
About this blog…
“This blog is like a fusion of the Baroque ‘salon’ with its well-tuned harpsichord around which polite society gathered for entertainment and edification and, on the other hand, a Wild West “saloon” with its out-of-tune piano and swinging doors, where everyone has a gun and something to say. Nevertheless, we try to point our discussions back to what it is to be Catholic in this increasingly difficult age, to love God, and how to get to heaven.” – Fr. Z
Coat of Arms by D Burkart
Wonderful about St. Joseph! “Terror of Demons”
ABORTION PILL RESCUE NETWORK
- The most evident mark of God’s anger and the most terrible castigation He can inflict upon the world are manifested when He permits His people to fall into the hands of clerics who are priests more in name than in deed, priests who practice the cruelty of ravening wolves rather than the charity and affection of devoted shepherds.
St. John Eudes
Donate using VENMO
GREAT BEER from Traditional Benedictine Monks in Italy
CLICK and say your daily offerings!
Do you want to show some appreciation?
Do you have a faithful Catholic website that needs competent and reliable tech support?
NEW OPPORTUNITY – 10% off with code: FATHERZ10
Fr. Z’s VOICEMAIL
Nota bene: I do not answer these numbers or this Skype address. You won't get me "live". I check for messages regularly.
020 8133 4535
YOUR RECENT COMMENTS
Books which you must have.
This REALLY helps! And it’s great coffee (and tea)
I use this when I travel both in these USA and abroad. Very useful. Fast enough for Zoom. I connect my DMR (ham radio) through it. If you use my link, they give me more data. A GREAT back up.
Don’t rely on popes, bishops and priests.
“He [Satan] will set up a counter-Church which will be the ape of the Church because, he the devil, is the ape of God. It will have all the notes and characteristics of the Church, but in reverse and emptied of its divine content. It will be a mystical body of the anti-Christ that will in all externals resemble the mystical body of Christ. In desperate need for God, whom he nevertheless refuses to adore, modern man in his loneliness and frustration will hunger more and more for membership in a community that will give him enlargement of purpose, but at the cost of losing himself in some vague collectivity.”
“Who is going to save our Church? Not our bishops, not our priests and religious. It is up to you, the people. You have the minds, the eyes, and the ears to save the Church. Your mission is to see that your priests act like priests, your bishops act like bishops.”
- Fulton Sheen
Therefore, ACTIVATE YOUR CONFIRMATION and get to work!
Send Snail Mail to Fr. Z
- “The modern habit of doing ceremonial things unceremoniously is no proof of humility; rather it proves the offender's inability to forget himself in the rite, and his readiness to spoil for every one else the proper pleasure of ritual.”
- C.S. Lewis
This blog has to earn its keep!
PLEASE subscribe via PayPal if it is useful.
That way I have steady income I can plan on, and you wind up regularly on my list of benefactors for whom I pray and for whom I periodically say Holy Mass.
In view of the rapidly changing challenges I now face, I would like to add more $10/month subscribers. Will you please help?
For a one time donation...
As for Latin…
"But if, in any layman who is indeed imbued with literature, ignorance of the Latin language, which we can truly call the 'catholic' language, indicates a certain sluggishness in his love toward the Church, how much more fitting it is that each and every cleric should be adequately practiced and skilled in that language!" - Pius XI
"Let us realize that this remark of Cicero (Brutus 37, 140) can be in a certain way referred to [young lay people]: 'It is not so much a matter of distinction to know Latin as it is disgraceful not to know it.'" - St. John Paul II
- The Assumption of the Blessed Virgin Mary: The 4th Glorious Mystery
- Daily Rome Shot 533, etc.
- ASK FATHER: What hobbies are permitted on Sundays?
- Your Sunday Sermon Notes: 10th Sunday after Pentecost (N.O. 20th Sunday)
- 14 August – St. Maximilian Kolbe : priest, martyr, #HamRadio operator. The path of “Oblatio Vitae” for Beatification. #CQ
- YOUR URGENT PRAYER REQUESTS
- ASK FATHER: “If I go to Saturday night mass and receive Communion, and then go also to Sunday mass, may I receive Communion again?”
- And then there’s …
- Daily Rome Shot 532, etc.
- Coincidences? I think not.
- Liturgical Question: Which of these is NOT like the other?
- Daily Rome Shot 531, etc. – packed!
- ASK FATHER: A priest asks, “Is it okay to learn how to say the Traditional Latin Mass?” Wherein Fr. Z rants.
- You thick-headed restorationists, you backwardist, dogma-refrigerating Neopelagians… there is only one unique expression of the Roman Rite! VIDEO
- Daily Rome Shot 530, etc.
- 10 August: Wonderful Collect for St. Lawrence
- Daily Rome Shot 529, etc.
- “The sky is crying…” – The Vigil and Tears of St. Lawrence
- Daily Rome Shot 528, etc.
- Wherein Fr. Z rants and recommends a must read entry at NLM
- Meanwhile, the Novus Ordo is the only expression of the Roman Rite… not.
- ASK FATHER: The faithful put blood, sweat, and tears into the building, revival of churches, parishes. Given how bishops treat them, is there recourse in Canon Law?
- Your Sunday Sermon Notes: 9th Sunday after Pentecost (N.O. 19th Sunday)
- Daily Rome Shot 527, etc.
- If a law isn’t accepted, it is essentially no law at all. Traditionis? Time will tell. Novus Ordo? Time has told.
- ASK FATHER: Considering the chaos surrounding ‘Traditionis custodes” could we say that, in effect, it is no law at all?
- Daily Rome Shot 526, etc.
- FATHERS! LAITY! Are you ready?
- Daily Rome Shot 525, etc.
- ASK FATHER: I failed to do my confession penance. Now what?
Let us pray…
Grant unto thy Church, we beseech Thee, O merciful God, that She, being gathered together by the Holy Ghost, may be in no wise troubled by attack from her foes. O God, who by sin art offended and by penance pacified, mercifully regard the prayers of Thy people making supplication unto Thee,and turn away the scourges of Thine anger which we deserve for our sins. Almighty and Everlasting God, in whose Hand are the power and the government of every realm: look down upon and help the Christian people that the heathen nations who trust in the fierceness of their own might may be crushed by the power of thine Arm. Through our Lord Jesus Christ, Thy Son, who liveth and reigneth with Thee in the unity of the Holy Ghost, God, world without end. R. Amen.
Yes, Fr. Z is taking ads…
Be a “Zed-Head”!
My "challenge coin" for my 25th anniversary of ordination in 2016.
Want one? I do exchanges with military and LEOs, etc.
PLEASE RESPOND. Pretty pleeeease?Loading ...
This is really useful when travelling… and also when you aren’t and you need backup internet NOW! I use this for my DMR “Zednet” hotspot when I’m mobile. It’s a ham radio thing.
If you travel internationally, this is a super useful gizmo for your mobile internet data. I use one. If you get one through my link, I get data rewards.
Please use my links when shopping! I depend on your help.
WDTPRS POLLLoading ...
Fr. Z’s stuff is everywhere
Help support Fr. Z’s Gospel of Life work at no cost to you. Do you need a Real Estate Agent? Calling these people is the FIRST thing you should do!
GREAT causes to support
Tag Archives: iPhone
This… It seems the statement attached to the software update means the new coding supports contact tracing apps. When a user accepts the update, they are consenting, legally, to this data being collected/distributed from this device to these or future … Read More
iPhone users: please educate me. I have been told that if you have an iPhone running 5.0 or higher, you can text to any other iPhone, anywhere in the world, for free. Apparently, you must use the app iMessage. Anyone? … Read More
I have lately posted some items about Morse Code. One of you readers sent me a video, dated from the beginning of April, of a very cool alternative to those nasty and inconvenient touch screens on our iPhones. Enjoy! [wp_youtube]1KhZKNZO8mQ[/wp_youtube] … Read More
Here is a fun and useful… Tip For Priests! I occasionally post about some poor priest whose phone erupts during Mass or in the confessional. By “erupt”, I mean Father forgot either to leave the phone in the sacristy (best) … Read More
Slated for reading on my Kindle right now: I think he might have not quite understood St. Thomas More’s notion of Utopia, but he is exceptionally good. More Mitch Rapp from my homey, Vince Flynn. Prequel. Hoping it will be … Read More
For the Just Too Cool file, this from FBN: Nissan has announced the world’s first self-healing iPhone case, which the car manufacturer claims can quickly repair itself when scratched. Developed by the car manufacturer in collaboration with University of Tokyo … Read More
I sometimes listen the podcasts of the Benedictine monks at Norcia, in Italy. They record and post on demand recordings of their hours and Mass. Alas, they tend to go flat, a problem many groups have when singing psalms and … Read More
Have any of you iPhone 4 users noticed any problems with your OS after updating to 5.0? When the 4.0 update came out, the 3GS became very sluggish. Observations?
Do any of you iPhone users have experience of using a dual SIM in 3gs or 4? Also, yesterday I did a jailbreak and unlock on my 3gs. Very cool and a lot easier than I thought it would be. … Read More
I received a press release about a new Catholic app for the iPhone. The app is FREE. New App Empowers Catholic Voters New Tool Allows Users to Access Congress From Anywhere SOUTH BEND, Ind. – Little i Apps, LLC, makers … Read More
The best Catholic weekly in the UK, The Catholic Herald, now has a spiffy app for your iPhone and iPad. You can find it HERE. To see the whole paper you have to get a subscription. I have used the … Read More
The Franciscan Friars of the Immaculate created an app for the 1962 Breviarium Romanum. It is now available, FREE, for the iPhone, iPod touch, and iPad. This may be a way for some of you to get more familiar with … Read More
From a reader: My confessor strongly recommended I spend time in adoration. I’ve been hesitant because I’ve never done it before, but I decided to do it tonight after Mass. I just have one problem… What exactly am I supposed … Read More
Those of you who have iPhones… have you noticed a glitch in the alarm function since the first of the year? My alarms have not rung either yesterday or today. It is a good thing I woke up when I … Read More
This is definitely for your Just Too Cool file. From cultofmac comes this great story: Father and Son Launch iPhone, HD Video Camera into Space By Adam Rosen (4:00 am, Oct. 12, 2010) Taking their iPhone Where No iDevice Has … Read More
From a reader: One sees the Magnificat missalettes in the hands of lots of folks at daily Mass nowadays. With its beautifully presented (briefer) morning/evening/night prayers from which many (like me) have gone on to the LOH or DO, plus … Read More
I received an SMS saying that the iPhone app "iBreviary" is free right now. I have mixed views of iBreviary, frankly. At first, it was quite promising. Many languages were promised including Latin. But most of the time the Latin … Read More