HAM RADIO W9FRZ STATUS
Search Fr. Z’s Blog
SHOPPING ONLINE? Please, always come here first!
I had to change the way that people go to amazon to buy things because... you know... why make it easy?. So, just click the link below. Once you're in, you're good to shop.
Try AmazonFresh Free Trial
Shop Amazon Gold Box - New Deals. Everyday
Shop Amazon Gift Cards - Instant Delivery or Free One-Day Shipping
Try Prime Discounted Monthly Offering
And you do need a Kindle! - HERE
About this blog…
“This blog is like a fusion of the Baroque ‘salon’ with its well-tuned harpsichord around which polite society gathered for entertainment and edification and, on the other hand, a Wild West “saloon” with its out-of-tune piano and swinging doors, where everyone has a gun and something to say. Nevertheless, we try to point our discussions back to what it is to be Catholic in this increasingly difficult age, to love God, and how to get to heaven.” – Fr. Z
Coat of Arms by D Burkart
Do you want to show some appreciation?
Send Snail Mail to Fr. Z
YOUR RECENT COMMENTS
- richiedel: The above Catechism reference should be CCC 89, not 50.
- richiedel: “The re is an organic connection between our spiritual life and the dogmas. Dogmas are lights along the path of faith; they illuminate it and make it secure. Conversely , if our...
- scholastica: Thank you for the sage, yet practical, advice. One of the few memories that I have of my mother, who died in my childhood, was her creative use of expletives . I never heard her say a...
- Gab: List of other people who also wanted to get rid of traditions , especially Catholic traditions : Lenin Stalin Marx Hitler Franco Mao Zedong Peron And so on and so forth.
- Gab: “You have to PLAN for the suffering and then plan NOT to come down from the Cross the Lord is sharing with you.” ; And plan to offer that suffering up to God or Our Lady who will...
- CanukFrank: Thank you, Fr.Z! I go to the gym. I love working out. Could I do it at home? Could I find an alternativ e? Certainly, but at the cheap price I pay for the services available? No quest...
- AndyMo: Thanks for this (both Fr. Z and the original comment). This is a struggle for so many men (and probably women, too, but I’m just speaking from my own experience ). I’ve also...
- Midwest St. Michael: @ tho and Atra Dicenda… The both of you made me SOL. (smile out loud) Thanks for the levity! =)
- wolskerj: I’m surprised no one’ s mentioned the wonderful meals of Narnia, particular ly Lucy’ ;s tea with Tumnus – eggs, sardines on toast, buttered toast, toast with honey...
- Kennedy: A few years back, when I confessed to swearing too much, Fr. Ernesto suggested praying St. Faustina 8217;s prayer “Lor d, for the sake of Thy Passion, have mercy on me” when...
- UncleBlobb: St. Augustine in his commentary on Psalm 54 recommends meditating on Our Lord Jesus ChristR 17;s sufferings as a solution, and it seems to me as though it is a helpful solution in...
- Kerry: Atra Dicenda, Rubra Agenda, also from Next Generation , Riker on the Klingon ship. “The n you probably know what this is Commander. ” “Isn ’t that gaak?̶ 1;...
- Charivari Rob: 1. Any of a number of meals from The Hobbit. I’d probably go with that first tea. 2. Any of a number of meals from A Christmas Carol 3. Any of a number of meals from the Little...
- Traductora: Truly excellent Fr. Z comments! That said, this is one of Bergoglio’ s most disturbing ravings to date, and I think it probably is aimed at paving the way for the horrors to be procla...
- Ron Van Wegen: I say, “Wit hout You I Can’ t, With You I Can” , and then believe it. Rinse and Repeat. It ain’ t magic just trust. The reward is peace.
- JSzczuka: Thank You! Just what I needed! I will post here in a few days with results. :)
- Atra Dicenda, Rubra Agenda: Before I read anything from or about Francis, I say out loud to myself “I dont care” ; and then it doesnt hurt me.
- Charles E Flynn: Suggested by a priest of the Oblates of the Virgin Mary, whose motto is “Beg in Again̶ 1;. From http://www .catholict radition.o rg/Joseph/ litany9a.h tm : Saint Joseph...
- Atra Dicenda, Rubra Agenda: It’s from television , but the Dinner Scene in Star Trek: The Next Generation , Season 1 Episode 25 (Conspirac y) burnt itself into my young brain when it aired.
- tho: Our Holy Father would be more comfortabl e as a Unitarian, Catholicis m is all about Tradition and self discipline . Then again “mak e a mess” ; would look good on the resume, for a...
- Atra Dicenda, Rubra Agenda: The Red Wedding Reception, “The Storm of SwordsR 21;, George RR Martin.
- bobbird: Of Tolkein: did anyone mention “Sec ond Breakfast& #8221;? And … starving Robert Rogers, of RogersR 17; Rangers fame, in Kenneth Roberts immortal “Nor thwest Passage...
- fishonthehill: I find this post and its comments to be more enjoyable than the indigestib le words of the next post about the Pope and tradition. That one gave me AGIATA! This was a great diversi...
- chantgirl: IF Francis had answered the Dubia or any of the other many appeals to him, if he had not treated his perceived enemies so ruthlessly , if he had not spent his pontificat e badmouthin g...
- frmgcmma: A passage St. Thomas quotes often says: “ 230;quæ autem sunt, a Deo ordinatæ sunt” ; (Rom. 13:1).
CLICK and say your daily offerings!
- ASK FATHER: How to break the bondage of bad habits, vices?
- 10 Great Meals In Literature
- Francis: Church Must Learn to Abandon Old ‘Traditions’
- Editorial: Church leaders, to be “transparent”, are still abusers. Of priests.
- ASK FATHER: Little daughter interested in the Mass
- PARIS: 500 undocumented Africans stormed, seized Terminal 2 of CDG airport
- Rome Day 4: Of crashing ceilings, weeping parents, and the dust and hearts of saints
- @Church_Militant report on a twisted priest-predator has a familiar ring
- Card. Müller on deaconettes. “No.”
- Rome Day 3: Roman trash talk, perspiration, and prostitutes – UPDATED
- Requests for GREGORIAN MASSES and PRIESTS who can say them
- Persecuted Fr. Kalchik responds to homosexualist Jesuit Martin
- Anniversary of a turning point in Christian history
- NEW FROM MITSUI! Our Lady Untier of Knots
- Stupid angry lib (I know, tautology) at The Atlantic against priesthood
- Rome Day 1-2: Views, fabrics and eats
- My View For Awhile: All Roads Edition
- WDTPRS – 4th Sunday after Easter (1962MR): The smoke of Satan
- WDTPRS – 5th Sunday of Easter: The prayer’s very word order reveals God’s love
- CQ CQ CQ Ham Radio Saturday: QSL Cards and some firsts
- VIDEO: Diaconate Ordination of the the Ordinariate of the Chair of St. Peter @CSPOrd
- Donations, PayPal, alternatives, and you
- Irish Ass. of Catholic Priests in toddler meltdown mode against Francis over no women deacons
- CQ CQ CQ Ham Radio Thursday: ZedNet, my first pile up, and remote from GITMO and… Vatican City?
- GERMANY: Pro-women’s ordination group: “We want to take Mary off her pedestal”
- What’s up at the southern border of these USA
- Lib liturgy positivists force people to stand after Communion
- Student ‘steals’ pro-life sign on camera, gets arrested, but she’s the victim!
- Benedict XVI’s recent essay is a subtle correction of Amoris laetitia ch. 8
- 15-18 July 2019: East Coast Priest Conference in Wheeling, WV – looks good!
Let us pray…
Grant unto thy Church, we beseech Thee, O merciful God, that She, being gathered together by the Holy Ghost, may be in no wise troubled by attack from her foes. O God, who by sin art offended and by penance pacified, mercifully regard the prayers of Thy people making supplication unto Thee,and turn away the scourges of Thine anger which we deserve for our sins. Almighty and Everlasting God, in whose Hand are the power and the government of every realm: look down upon and help the Christian people that the heathen nations who trust in the fierceness of their own might may be crushed by the power of thine Arm. Through our Lord Jesus Christ, Thy Son, who liveth and reigneth with Thee in the unity of the Holy Ghost, God, world without end. R. Amen.
This blog has to earn its keep!
PLEASE subscribe if it is useful.
That way I have steady income I can plan on, and you wind up regularly on my list of benefactors for whom I pray and for whom I periodically say Holy Mass.
For a one time donation...
I set up a
CONTINUE TO GIVE
account, which functions rather like PayPal. Some of you use it. Here is a QCode you can use with your smart phones. Try it!
Also, to receive a link to donate via Continue To Give using your smart phone SEND MESSAGE:
4827563 TO: 715-803-4772 (USA)
Some donations also come through CHASE. That works well. I don't think they take any percentage as fees.
Yes, Fr. Z is taking ads…
A great hymnal…
Because it matters what children read…
I carry one of these super-strong rosaries in my spare mag pouch! The Swiss Guards have them too!
My "challenge coin" for my 25th anniversary of ordination in 2016.
Want one? I do exchanges with military and LEOs, etc. and you can make a donation.
PLEASE RESPOND. Pretty pleeeease?Loading ...
WDTPRS POLLLoading ...
Fr. Z’s stuff is everywhere
Help support Fr. Z’s Gospel of Life work at no cost to you. Do you need a Real Estate Agent? Calling these people is the FIRST thing you should do!
GREAT causes to support
Help Monks in Wyoming (coffee – UPDATED LINK) and Norcia (beer) and the wonderful "Soap Sisters" of Summit, NJ!
Please follow me on Twitter!
If you travel internationally, this is a super useful gizmo for your mobile internet data. I use one. If you get one through my link, I get data rewards.
Nota bene: I do not answer these numbers or this Skype address. You won't get me "live". I check for messages regularly.
020 8133 4535
Daily Archives: 17 December 2007
This week’s cover story on U.S. News & World Report is about the return to traditional forms of worship in various religions. Here is some of the article. It is not all about the older form of Mass: A Return … Continue reading
I think this might be Shishin but I am not sure. Anyone?
Yesterday I was delighted both to attend a Mass with rose vestments (though they were sorta pink) and to use true rosacea. I am in good company in not wanting to wear pink, or confuse it with liturgical rose, or … Continue reading
This is good news from the blog Philadelphia Roamin’ Catholic. My emphases: To-day we had a new celebrant for the Traditional Latin Mass at Our Lady of Consolation in the Tacony neighborhood of Philadelphia. Until now the 2 p.m. Latin … Continue reading
Yesterday, the Bishop of Madison, H.E. Robert Morlino, celebrated a Pontifical Mass in the older rite with the help of members of the Institute of Christ the King. I am waiting for details. You might remember that Bishop Morlino had … Continue reading
I have been getting notes from the head of the Newman Society at Oxford, asking for a reply. I did reply, but I think you are not getting my mesasges. In any event, I am contemplating a trip to the … Continue reading
It is fun to look at the stats for the blog to see where people are… more or less. Here is a snapshot of some of your locations during the last 5 minutes or so. Keep in mind this is … Continue reading
We have come to the last days of the Church’s preparation for the feast of the Nativity of the Lord. Let’s look at the proper Collect for 17 December in the 2002 Missale Romanum: COLLECT: Deus, humanae conditor et redemptor … Continue reading
On December 17th we enter into that final stretch of our Advent preparation. In the Church’s solemn prayer of the hours, at Vespers, the great "O Antiphons" are sung. Today we have the first. Years ago, I made a little … Continue reading
From Petrus we learn more about Archbp. Piero Marini’s new book. (My translation). Now Msgr. Piero Marini takes aim: "The Roman Curia against the Second Vatican Council" VATICAN CITY – In a book published for now only in English and … Continue reading
Papa Ratzinger, His Holiness Rome’s Bishop is… well… acting like a bishop. He burys the dead, namely his "hinge-men", Cardinals, who are of the clergy of Rome. He consecrates altars in new churches. He meets the folks. He wears … Continue reading