Search Fr. Z’s Blog
SHOPPING ONLINE? Please, always come here first!
Enter Amazon through my link. Use the search bar below. Fr Z will get a small percentage of what you spend.
Here's Fr. Z's "catholic" search for Amazon: US HERE - UK HERE And you do need a Kindle! - HERE
“This blog is like a fusion of the Baroque ‘salon’ with its well-tuned harpsichord around which polite society gathered for entertainment and edification and, on the other hand, a Wild West “saloon” with its out-of-tune piano and swinging doors, where everyone has a gun and something to say. Nevertheless, we try to point our discussions back to what it is to be Catholic in this increasingly difficult age, to love God, and how to get to heaven.” – Fr. Z
YOUR RECENT COMMENTS
- NBW: AMEN! Thank you Fr. Z.!
- surritter: @robtbrown … I was in no way thinking of the Mass, whose changes were approved of Paul VI, and are certainly the law of the Church. I was actually thinking of today, when it̵...
- VP: Pardon the metaphor, but the curator and you each made a great catch on the “Tin ker to Evers to ChanceR 21; layout. Chicago beat the Giants that day; that double play was one of the...
- RichR: Very straightfo rward and clear explanatio n. This is why Catholics come to this blog. Bless you, FrZ.
- JARay: I too hate the use of the word “gay ” to mean homosexual . I grew up knowing the word “gay ” to mean a happy cheerful person. There used to be a song which began...
- Joy65: VERY well said!
- Semper Gumby: Insightful article by David French. I second semperfica tholicR 17;s comment on Fr. Z’s take on all this. Helpful video, colospgs. Fr. Z: please excuse the length of this...
- Charles E Flynn: The lettering on the stairs adds so much to the design at so little cost.
- jaykay: It looks great – congratula tions! And that gorgeous chasuble that appears in some of the pics (St. Philip Neri-style , midway between Roman and Gothic?) – wow! Obi-wan 217;s...
- robtbrown: Jabba says But the Archbishop was wrong too, in his suggestion that the Council proposed “pluralism ” — this is actually a catastroph ically bad interpreta tion of its texts, correc...
- robtbrown: Fr Reader, I did a poor job of making my point. I really don’ t mind your accusation s against Lefebvre of sin and/or disobedien ce. Rather, my point is that you were blaming the...
- LeeGilbert: Papa subito!
- Unwilling: Nothing tendentiou s. The unutterabl e Good News.
- samwise: Eliot̵ 7;s excellent play about St. Thomas Beckett, starring Paul Scofield https://ar chive.org/ details/20 2Side3
- richiedel: Thought-pr ovoking to read this homily wherein ad orientem may be analogousl y interprete d as turning to the light and, versus populum, to the darkness. Given the metaphors for what...
- Ave Maria: Isn’ t that incredible ! Deo gratias for this priest!
- jaykay: Thank you so much for this, Father. I was there with our Irish pilgrimage Chapter, and we got into the Cathedral for the Mass. Unfortunat ely, between extreme tiredness and defici...
- Lorra: “Why aren’t more doing that?̶ 1; Some of us are in dioceses that aren’ ;t friendly to this. We do the best we can. My diocese hasn’ ;t had an ordination now for years due...
- ChrisP: Papabile 8230;compl etely. Please Eternal Trinity – let him be so.
- RichR: In fact, the last thing that MCs need in a Mass is a proactive bishop. LOL! Very true. As a server at our EF Mass and someone who will soon be trained as MC, I would encourage bishops to...
- yatzer: Wow! No wonder someone was moved to tears.
- Ave Maria: Marvelous! I was speaking with a friend yesterday who belongs to a FSSP parish and she was saying what a difference it has made in her spiritual life. She said that she never prayed the...
- Spinmamma: I have always loved T.S. Eliot. One of his poems that has haunted me since I first encountere d it- Lo these many years ago-is “Ash Wednesday. ” Another “Ger ontion&...
- Semper Gumby: sallyr: Good point you make about tornadoes and your facility. It is unfortunat e that after a widespread catastroph ic event (EMP, CME, pandemic, etc.), nursing homes and hospit...
- maternalView: “aft er years of prayer, fasting, fundraisin g, and more prayerR 21; That is the answer. Why aren’ ;t more doing that?
CLICK and say your daily offerings!
- Pope’s words about God making someone “gay”
- Some cool stuff, old and new, in Rome and Detroit
- @Card_R_Sarah terrific sermon for Pentecost and pilgrimage
- A Bishop calls on his brother Bishops to celebrate the Traditional Pontifical Mass, TLM
- “I originally sent you this story 8 years ago, for the brick by brick file…” UPDATE
- “Where there is no temple there shall be no homes.”
- Pastor Iuventus on the appalling Met “Gay-la”
- Chilling – probably correct – explanation of mass school shootings
- A Pentecost Monday lesson: “And Paul VI wept.”
- WDTPRS – Pentecost Sunday: that strong stable edge
- Your Sunday Sermon Notes
- BACK IN PRINT! The Heresy of Formlessness
- My View For Awhile: Creston Edition
- “I used to think hosts found on floors was Traditional Catholic hyperbole…”
- Monday after Pentecost: Memorial of the Blessed Virgin Mary, Mother of the Church – TEXTS
- Bp. Schneider’s terrific talk in Rome – ACTION ITEM!
- ASK FATHER: As a lay woman, should I have a “Mass kit” in my “Bug Out Bag”?
- @JamesMartinSJ can also amuse
- I have bad news and good news: Scouts and Troops
- Darío Card. Castrillón Hoyos, former Pres. of the Pont. Comm. “Ecclesia Dei” – RIP
- Bp. Schneider on the Met “Gay-la”
- BOOKS RECEIVED: Peter Kreeft and 2018 Ignatius Pew Missal
- VIDEOS: Lessons in how properly to fold a cassock
- VIDEO: Military pilgrimage to Lourdes
- Fascinating and sad: transcript of 1976 meeting of Paul VI and SSPX Archbp. Lefebvre
- A light TEOTWAWKI moment
- @ArchbishpSample to make liturgical changes in the @archpdx
- “The Council that might have been…” but wasn’t.
- INTERNET PRAYER UPDATE: MALAYALAM
- Justice Thomas delievers commencement address
Let us pray…
Grant unto thy Church, we beseech Thee, O merciful God, that She, being gathered together by the Holy Ghost, may be in no wise troubled by attack from her foes. O God, who by sin art offended and by penance pacified, mercifully regard the prayers of Thy people making supplication unto Thee,and turn away the scourges of Thine anger which we deserve for our sins. Almighty and Everlasting God, in whose Hand are the power and the government of every realm: look down upon and help the Christian people that the heathen nations who trust in the fierceness of their own might may be crushed by the power of thine Arm. Through our Lord Jesus Christ, Thy Son, who liveth and reigneth with Thee in the unity of the Holy Ghost, God, world without end. R. Amen.
My "challenge coin" for my 25th anniversary of ordination in 2016.
Want one? I do exchanges with military and LEOs, etc. and you can make a donation.
Coat of Arms by D Burkart
I travel a good deal. As I get older, it takes more of a toll. My main airline - sigh - is Delta. Were I to get some Gift Cards for Delta, I could more easily upgrade for longer flights. I'm just sayin'. I'd be much obliged. HERE
New miscellaneous releases and events
Yes, Fr. Z is taking ads…
A great hymnal…
Because it matters what children read…
I carry one of these super-strong rosaries in my spare mag pouch! The Swiss Guards have them too!
Because you don’t know when you are going to need to move fast or get along without the supermarket…
PLEASE RESPOND. Pretty pleeeease?Loading ...
WDTPRS POLLLoading ...
Fr. Z’s stuff is everywhere
Help support Fr. Z’s Gospel of Life work at no cost to you. Do you need a Real Estate Agent? Calling these people is the FIRST thing you should do!
GREAT causes to support
Help Monks in Wyoming (coffee – UPDATED LINK) and Norcia (beer) and the wonderful "Soap Sisters" of Summit, NJ!
Please follow me on Twitter!
If you travel internationally, this is a super useful gizmo for your mobile internet data. I use one. If you get one through my link, I get data rewards.
A book by an old friend…
Daily Archives: 17 December 2007
This week’s cover story on U.S. News & World Report is about the return to traditional forms of worship in various religions.
Here is some of the article. It is not all about the older form of Mass:
A Return to TraditionA … Continue reading
I think this might be Shishin but I am not sure.
Yesterday I was delighted both to attend a Mass with rose vestments (though they were sorta pink) and to use true rosacea.
I am in good company in not wanting to wear pink, or confuse it with liturgical rose, or rosacea … Continue reading
This is good news from the blog Philadelphia Roamin’ Catholic. My emphases:
To-day we had a new celebrant for the Traditional Latin Mass at Our Lady of Consolation in the Tacony neighborhood of Philadelphia. Until now the 2 p.m. Latin Mass … Continue reading
Yesterday, the Bishop of Madison, H.E. Robert Morlino, celebrated a Pontifical Mass in the older rite with the help of members of the Institute of Christ the King.
I am waiting for details.
You might remember that Bishop Morlino had a change … Continue reading
I have been getting notes from the head of the Newman Society at Oxford, asking for a reply.
I did reply, but I think you are not getting my mesasges.
In any event, I am contemplating a trip to the UK. If … Continue reading
It is fun to look at the stats for the blog to see where people are… more or less.
Here is a snapshot of some of your locations during the last 5 minutes or so.
Keep in mind this is not very … Continue reading
We have come to the last days of the Church’s preparation for the feast of the Nativity of the Lord.
Let’s look at the proper Collect for 17 December in the 2002 Missale Romanum:
COLLECT: Deus, humanae conditor et redemptor … Continue reading
On December 17th we enter into that final stretch of our Advent preparation. In the Church’s solemn prayer of the hours, at Vespers, the great "O Antiphons" are sung. Today we have … Continue reading
From Petrus we learn more about Archbp. Piero Marini’s new book. (My translation).
Now Msgr. Piero Marini takes aim: "The Roman Curia against the Second Vatican Council"
VATICAN CITY – In a book published for now only in English and presented on … Continue reading