Search Fr. Z’s Blog
SHOPPING ONLINE? Please, always come here first!
Enter Amazon through my link. Use the search bar below. Fr Z will get a small percentage of what you spend.
Here's Fr. Z's "catholic" search for Amazon: US HERE - UK HERE And you do need a Kindle! - HERE
“This blog is like a fusion of the Baroque ‘salon’ with its well-tuned harpsichord around which polite society gathered for entertainment and edification and, on the other hand, a Wild West “saloon” with its out-of-tune piano and swinging doors, where everyone has a gun and something to say. Nevertheless, we try to point our discussions back to what it is to be Catholic in this increasingly difficult age, to love God, and how to get to heaven.” – Fr. Z
Coat of Arms by D Burkart
Send Snail Mail to Fr. Z
YOUR RECENT COMMENTS
- JonPatrick: In 2009 when I decided to get serious about my faith I bought a rosary at the gift shop of the Franciscan Friary in Kennebunkp ort ME. It started to fall apart last year, so I bought...
- Julia_Augusta: Thank you for posting this. The rosary I bought at the Basilica Cathedral of St. Cecile in Albi is about to fall apart. I need a new rosary.
- Clinton R.: “In The Present Crisis we need the Most Holy Rosary now more than ever.̶ 1; Amen, Father.
- DelRayVA: I was greatly blessed when John Paul II introduced the world to the Luminous Mysteries. I discovered , by praying through them, especially the Baptism in the Jordan, that I had uninten...
- GM Thobe: For a handful of family intentions . And the grace to deal with the outcome.
- Charivari Rob: Since Lawler went to a bit of inaccuracy three times in only two paragraphs , I’ll mention the point. Patrick didn’ ;t convert a nation or a country. Ireland then was a...
- Charivari Rob: It is a personal admonition , made public. No, that it isn’ t quite correct. It’s what could have been a personal admonition , made publicly – “Loo k, every...
- WmHesch: The notion of “1000 plenary indulgence s” may sound crazy, but until 1968 there were 400+ plenary’s attached to prayers said while wearing the Blue Scapular or Cord of St. Francis, for...
- Therese: MrsMacD, we have a sweet granddaugh ter who prays it for the same reason. ;-)
- happyCatholic: In your charity, please pray for my dear daughter and affectiona te preschool granddaugh ter who are facing being forcibly separated by the judicial system ordering a joint child...
- Michael: 1. Please ask the Lord to grant safety and success to the mission He has given me. 2. For the intentions of those who ask my prayers as I carry them across the country on my walk. 3. For...
- excalibur: Not sure if that is Cdl. Tobin or not. That account does not have a check mark showing it really is who it says it is, as you see with people like President Trump where it says @realDo...
- MrsMacD: When I was a young teen, someone left that prayer at the back of the church, with the above mentioned promise of saving 1000 souls from purgatory. At that time I went to daily Mass with my...
- MrsMacD: Please pray for the soul of RR who passed away yesterday. Please pray for the J family who have been fighting for the life of their baby girl for four months, and for the situation of...
- Joe Hebert: Is there any way to find the texts they are singing?
- jaykay: KateD: lovely! I’m sure you use Holy Water in your family as well. When using it, we can/should also pray for the relief of the Holy Souls. And bless the graves of our loved ones with...
- TonyO: That said, I am puzzled about why Archbishop Vigano would think this letter calls for being made public. Yes, it is true that McC does owe a public apology in order to help offset the...
- KateD: We did the toties quoties this year as a family. It was so much fun! My kids are super competitiv e and what better way to direct that natural inclinatio n than challengin g eachother to...
- KAS: It would be helpful to note that gluten sensitivit y, gluten intoleranc e and celiac disease are not the same thing. True celiac sufferers cannot tolerate even the slightest bit of gluten...
- John Grammaticus: for the nibbles I’ve been getting on my CV to turn into a job
- BaltDeacon: Check out gracefulro saries.com . I have ordered a number of Mary’ ;s rosaries there, they are very special – heirloom quality, last a lifetime, beautiful and a good price!
- TonyO: I substantia lly agree with what Lawler has written in the first excerpt, but in fairness to the bishops, I’d like to make a distinctio n that he doesn’t make, at least there. It’s one thing...
- Anita Moore, O.P.(lay): Please pray for the soul of my mother, who died three years ago today.
- Just Some Guy: You got the nail on the head, Father. There should be a simplicity and humility of a child inherent in our prayer, as well as the elaborate language of our patrimony. It reminds me...
- Aman4allseasons: > By the way, it would be good to have a “disc” of the Office of the Dead and of the Little Office of the Blessed Virgin Mary. While we’re at it, how about ALL of Tenebr...
CLICK and say your daily offerings!
- UPDATE: “the finest rosaries I’ve ever seen” with a new site
- SOS! New Chant Collection: Prière pour temps de détresse … Prayer in time of distress, suffering, urgency… SOS Chant
- ASK FATHER: St. Gertrude’s Prayer and releasing 1000 souls from Purgatory
- YOUR URGENT PRAYER REQUESTS
- When tweets become problematic
- 4th Letter from Archbishop Viganò
- 14 January – Happy Feast of the Ass!
- Your Sunday Sermon Notes
- ASK FATHER: Standing on altar to change sanctuary lamp.
- ASK FATHER: Feasts of new saints in the Traditional Latin Mass
- Good points in Lawler’s recent book: The Smoke of Satan…
- Two cordial warnings to readers
- ASK FATHER: Excessive pious gestures during Mass
- WDTPRS – Holy Family (1962MR): Families not of blood
- ASK FATHER: Can we use the Breviarium Romanum published by the SSPX?
- FOLLOW UP on Gluten and Celiac post
- ZMIRAK: Hawaii Sen. @maziehirono Is Right. We Must Intern the Knights of Columbus in Camps
- ASK FATHER: Gluten-free madness the work of the Father of Lies?
- Of desecration of liturgy and identity. Wherein Fr. Z rants.
- NEW BOOK from William R. Forstchen. “Sauron’s Eye” is about to kill everything on Earth.
- Fun about a box of stuff, a papal tomb and ancient reading glasses (“cheaters”)
- BOOK RECEIVED
- ASK FATHER: “I’m seriously considering adopting some form of sedevacantism”
- ASK FATHER: Advice about homeschooling and High School
- Your Sunday Sermon Notes
- Ready for the Epiphany Blessings
- The Party of Death, having a party at the 116th Congress
- An Argentinian bishop on Communion in the hand
- Beans reveals his self-interest
- Marble machine
Let us pray…
Grant unto thy Church, we beseech Thee, O merciful God, that She, being gathered together by the Holy Ghost, may be in no wise troubled by attack from her foes. O God, who by sin art offended and by penance pacified, mercifully regard the prayers of Thy people making supplication unto Thee,and turn away the scourges of Thine anger which we deserve for our sins. Almighty and Everlasting God, in whose Hand are the power and the government of every realm: look down upon and help the Christian people that the heathen nations who trust in the fierceness of their own might may be crushed by the power of thine Arm. Through our Lord Jesus Christ, Thy Son, who liveth and reigneth with Thee in the unity of the Holy Ghost, God, world without end. R. Amen.
This blog has to earn its keep!
New miscellaneous releases and events
Yes, Fr. Z is taking ads…
A great hymnal…
Because it matters what children read…
I carry one of these super-strong rosaries in my spare mag pouch! The Swiss Guards have them too!
My "challenge coin" for my 25th anniversary of ordination in 2016.
Want one? I do exchanges with military and LEOs, etc. and you can make a donation.
Because you don’t know when you are going to need to move fast or get along without the supermarket…
PLEASE RESPOND. Pretty pleeeease?Loading ...
WDTPRS POLLLoading ...
Fr. Z’s stuff is everywhere
Help support Fr. Z’s Gospel of Life work at no cost to you. Do you need a Real Estate Agent? Calling these people is the FIRST thing you should do!
GREAT causes to support
Help Monks in Wyoming (coffee – UPDATED LINK) and Norcia (beer) and the wonderful "Soap Sisters" of Summit, NJ!
Please follow me on Twitter!
If you travel internationally, this is a super useful gizmo for your mobile internet data. I use one. If you get one through my link, I get data rewards.
Daily Archives: 4 December 2008
Many thanks to J of AL who sent a wonderful panettone from my wish list! I am very grateful. I shall have to find some prosecco to go with it and people to share it. In the meantime, it’s off … Continue reading
From a reader: Thanks for the website. It nevers fails to engage me. Deo gratia. I have a cousin an elderly priest in Ireland. He visited us last week and we were discussing the TLM and I mentioned, "Say the … Continue reading
I decided during Advent to drill into the hymns in the Liturgia Horarum. We begin today with the hymn for Vespers called Conditor alme siderum, with its variation Creator alme siderum as it was in Breviarium Romanum. I dissect this … Continue reading
From Mark Shea‘s place. On Friday, December 12, the Pro-Life Action League will be co-sponsoring a solemn Mass at noon at Federal Plaza in downtown Chicago in honor of the Feast of Our Lady of Guadalupe. This Mass, the first … Continue reading
Reminder: TLM in St George’s Cathedral, SouthwarkSaturday, December 6, 2008 11:00am – 12:15pm
From CNA: Italian bakers give Pope a thousand loaves of ‘panettone’ for the poor Rome, Dec 4, 2008 / 11:33 am (CNA).- L’Osservatore Romano reported this week that the Italian Federation of Bread Bakers has donated to the Pope one … Continue reading
Yes, I have his RSS in my feed reader…. I can’t help it… I do…
I just found an interesting Firefox addon. Twitter Bar. https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/4664
We continue our look at the Super oblata or "Prayer over the gifts" for Masses during Advent. Today’s Super oblata is the same as that used for Monday of this week. You can consult the entry HERE.
From a reader: Perhaps you could pass along the news that Rorate Masses are being celebrated at Assumption Grotto each Tuesday evening, in the ordinary form, throughout Advent. They will try to provide candles for a stipend, but it would … Continue reading
From the GMTA Department, I had a note from the great Fr. Jay Finelli last night just as I was working on my PODCAzT about the Advent hymn Conditor alme siderum. Get a load of this! Dear Fr. John, I … Continue reading
From the Brick By Brick Department a reader sends this: St. Brendan’s Catholic Church in Bellingham, MA384 Hartford AveBellingham, MA Fr. Mullen will begin celebrating the Traditional Latin Mass ("TLM") in December here at St. Brendan’s. The TLM will be offered … Continue reading
I was alerted to a piece on a blog called Island Envoy, the blog of the papal nuncio to a whole bunch of places in the Carribean, the Antilles. He is Most Reverend Archbishop Thomas Gullickson, originally a priest of … Continue reading
I had a note from someone suggesting that there might be a problem on the blog with reading comments. Anyone having problems? I can’t see anything wrong.