Search Fr. Z’s Blog
SHOPPING ONLINE? Please, always come here first!
Enter Amazon through my link. Use the search bar below. Fr Z will get a small percentage of what you spend.
Here's Fr. Z's "catholic" search for Amazon: US HERE - UK HERE And you do need a Kindle! - HERE
“This blog is like a fusion of the Baroque ‘salon’ with its well-tuned harpsichord around which polite society gathered for entertainment and edification and, on the other hand, a Wild West “saloon” with its out-of-tune piano and swinging doors, where everyone has a gun and something to say. Nevertheless, we try to point our discussions back to what it is to be Catholic in this increasingly difficult age, to love God, and how to get to heaven.” – Fr. Z
Coat of Arms by D Burkart
Send Snail Mail to Fr. Z
YOUR RECENT COMMENTS
- acardnal: anthtan, you beat me to the finish!
- MrsMacD: I had to look up Dan Shutte. He’s a sodomite ex priest. And we wonder why this music fails to inspire. Planned. They planned this. Grrrr.
- MrsMacD: “By a decree of May 8th 1925 [Pope Pius XI] approved what is known as the “pro tected scapular.& #8221; Instead of just two pieces of brown cloth joined by string or cord, one...
- roma247: @Fr. Jackson—th ank you for your insightful comment. You point out the dragon’s underbelly that exists hidden within the SSPX, and the reason why so many of us revere what they are trying...
- surritter: HvonBlumen thal — you forgot to write #8: “Thu s Jesus will have failed in His promise that the gates of hell shall not prevail against His Church. 221; (because the...
- MrsMacD: Masked Chicken, I’m wearing a Rose Scapular! My family (Father, Mother, sisters, brothers, nieces nephews, husband, kids) and friends all wear them. They’ ;re famous for being...
- youngcatholicgirl: I heard a Mass setting this summer whose “Lam b of God” had the same first bars as “My Heart Will Go On” from “Tit anic” ;. Most of what we...
- Prayerful: @gabriel syme Not quite ‘sol e thread. 217; There was the so-called Agatha Christie Indult of 1971 which Cardinal Heenan sponsored, which ensured that diocesan priests in...
- Fr Jackson: The fsspx.news report on this chose to interpret this as a sign that everyone else (i.e. what we used to call the Ecclesia Dei comunities such as the Fraternity of St Peter) had compr...
- Anita Moore, O.P.(lay): I will probably not see this event directly because of the weather. It is often the case in Idaho that, when cool signs appear in the heavens, the sky is overcast. But I...
- Roy Hobbs: “ 230;and sacrificed being a Corporate Attorney to be a priest. 221; Um, believe you me, that’ ;s no sacrifice; he made the right call. “Now they put him in Tim...
- adriennep: Thank you for mentioning CCWatershe d’s Brébeuf Hymnal. You gotta love them for naming it after the first French martyr to America to get a Mohawk machete to the back of his head....
- anthtan: Not only is the collect similar in both the Ordinary and Extraordin ary forms of the Mass this Sunday. The Gospel readings are also the same: John 2:1-11 – the Wedding at Cana. For...
- Henry Edwards: gdweber: “I’m hesitating , because I’ve been disappoint ed a couple of times, buying Catholic hymnals.” You can go ahead and order your copy of the Saint Jean de Brébeuf Hymnal....
- Julia_Augusta: I believe Father Zuhlsdorf has been invited by Una Voce Japan, a fine organizati on that promotes the TLM in Japan. Sadly, in Kyoto we do not have a regular TLM. I wish Father Z...
- FN: Father, inquiring minds want to know what you’re doing in Tokyo! We’d love to catch up with you if you will be celebratin g Mass while here.
- Julia_Augusta: Enjoy Tokyo! If you’re tired of the busyness of Tokyo, take a train to Kamakura, just outside the city. Will you be going to Kyoto, too?
- Kerry: To Joe in Canada from Kerry in America. In the prescribed responses ‘tap ping’ ;, a menacing scowl is, curiously, optional. However, the menacing “Get off my lawn!̶ 1;...
- Magdalena: When the office Ecclesia Dei existed, every bishop who attempted to stamp out a local TLM knew there was a fast track for priests under his jurisdicti on and laity to make appeal and...
- HvonBlumenthal: Maryelangd on Precisely. That is why I believe this to be what the present papacy is calculatin g First divide the sheep from the goats, then cut ties with the half you don’t like.
- jameeka: I think where Fr Z is, he won’t be able to view the Super Blood Wolf Moon Eclipse tomorrow ( today?) night. Thank you for that graphic descriptio n of the setting moon, Father Z!
- Joe in Canada: “bei ng ushered 217;. i used to live in a city where at the cathedral, ushers were instructed to tap people on the shoulder if they knelt during the Consecrati on, and say...
- Fuerza: Gerard Plourde, I don’t know that such a scenario is feasible. Limited intercommu nion of this type really only works because the PNCC is fully outside the Church, while the SSPX is techn...
- MrsMacD: To those who wonder why this needs to be public, consider that many do not have a firm grounding in their Faith and many might wonder what the true Catholic attitude is. He’s leading...
- MrsMacD: Good friend GD just told us he’s recovering from brain and thyroid surgery. Please pray for his recovery.
CLICK and say your daily offerings!
- Super-Wolf-Blood Moon!
- WDTPRS: 2nd Sunday after Epiphany – liturgical unicorn
- Francis suppressed the Pontifical Commission “Ecclesia Dei”. Fr. Z remarks.
- ASK FATHER: Do I have to sing at Mass?
- Scandalous parish in @ArchdioceseSPM – public celebration of homosexuality, IVR and surrogacy
- My View For Awhile: Westward
- ASK FATHER: Finding good sponsors for confirmation
- ASK FATHER: Where can I get good Brown Scapulars?
- ASK FATHER: Friday penance on flight across International Date Line
- Public penance and public reparation
- Card. Mahony to speak at the Three Days of Darkness
- UPDATE: “the finest rosaries I’ve ever seen” with a new site
- SOS! New Chant Collection: Prière pour temps de détresse … Prayer in time of distress, suffering, urgency… SOS Chant
- ASK FATHER: St. Gertrude’s Prayer and releasing 1000 souls from Purgatory
- YOUR URGENT PRAYER REQUESTS
- When tweets become problematic
- 4th Letter from Archbishop Viganò
- 14 January – Happy Feast of the Ass!
- Your Sunday Sermon Notes
- ASK FATHER: Standing on altar to change sanctuary lamp.
- ASK FATHER: Feasts of new saints in the Traditional Latin Mass
- Good points in Lawler’s recent book: The Smoke of Satan…
- Two cordial warnings to readers
- ASK FATHER: Excessive pious gestures during Mass
- WDTPRS – Holy Family (1962MR): Families not of blood
- ASK FATHER: Can we use the Breviarium Romanum published by the SSPX?
- FOLLOW UP on Gluten and Celiac post
- ZMIRAK: Hawaii Sen. @maziehirono Is Right. We Must Intern the Knights of Columbus in Camps
- ASK FATHER: Gluten-free madness the work of the Father of Lies?
- Of desecration of liturgy and identity. Wherein Fr. Z rants.
Let us pray…
Grant unto thy Church, we beseech Thee, O merciful God, that She, being gathered together by the Holy Ghost, may be in no wise troubled by attack from her foes. O God, who by sin art offended and by penance pacified, mercifully regard the prayers of Thy people making supplication unto Thee,and turn away the scourges of Thine anger which we deserve for our sins. Almighty and Everlasting God, in whose Hand are the power and the government of every realm: look down upon and help the Christian people that the heathen nations who trust in the fierceness of their own might may be crushed by the power of thine Arm. Through our Lord Jesus Christ, Thy Son, who liveth and reigneth with Thee in the unity of the Holy Ghost, God, world without end. R. Amen.
This blog has to earn its keep!
New miscellaneous releases and events
Yes, Fr. Z is taking ads…
A great hymnal…
Because it matters what children read…
I carry one of these super-strong rosaries in my spare mag pouch! The Swiss Guards have them too!
My "challenge coin" for my 25th anniversary of ordination in 2016.
Want one? I do exchanges with military and LEOs, etc. and you can make a donation.
Because you don’t know when you are going to need to move fast or get along without the supermarket…
PLEASE RESPOND. Pretty pleeeease?Loading ...
WDTPRS POLLLoading ...
Fr. Z’s stuff is everywhere
Help support Fr. Z’s Gospel of Life work at no cost to you. Do you need a Real Estate Agent? Calling these people is the FIRST thing you should do!
GREAT causes to support
Help Monks in Wyoming (coffee – UPDATED LINK) and Norcia (beer) and the wonderful "Soap Sisters" of Summit, NJ!
Please follow me on Twitter!
If you travel internationally, this is a super useful gizmo for your mobile internet data. I use one. If you get one through my link, I get data rewards.
Daily Archives: 31 December 2009
I mentioned on Plurk/Twitter that I was going to make what I call "spaghetti al seminario". This is pretty simply stuff and you can put it together with brutal speed. The name comes from the fact that in my seminary … Continue reading
May God bless you all abundantly for this New Year of Salvation. Have any resolutions?
From a priest friend and reader in an e-mail entitled simply: MANIPLE In honor of Fr. Z, I’m tying one on tonight, and tomorrow morning! Happy New Year! I love it when a priest is determined to tie one on … Continue reading
One of you readers caught the partial eclipse of the blue moon! Very cool. As view from Sutton Coldfield, West Midlands, GB at 1928 local time. Another, a priest friend, sent this from Ascona, Switzerland at 2010 GMT!
During 1st Vespers of the Solemnity of Mary, Mother of God, with the singing of the Te Deum for the end of the year, the Holy Father said, in my translation: Dear brothers and sisters, Rome needs priests who will … Continue reading
A couple weeks ago in my column for The Wanderer I spoke of the work of Christine Mohrmann. Also, I have on various occasions opined that sometimes it is okay for something you know to be a translation to actually … Continue reading