Search Fr. Z’s Blog
SHOPPING ONLINE? Please, always come here first!
Enter Amazon through my link. Use the search bar below. Fr Z will get a small percentage of what you spend.
Here's Fr. Z's "catholic" search for Amazon: US HERE - UK HERE And you do need a Kindle! - HERE
“This blog is like a fusion of the Baroque ‘salon’ with its well-tuned harpsichord around which polite society gathered for entertainment and edification and, on the other hand, a Wild West “saloon” with its out-of-tune piano and swinging doors, where everyone has a gun and something to say. Nevertheless, we try to point our discussions back to what it is to be Catholic in this increasingly difficult age, to love God, and how to get to heaven.” – Fr. Z
Coat of Arms by D Burkart
YOUR RECENT COMMENTS
- Vincent1967: Dear Father, Thank you for this lovely post! I’ve been a little maudlin (and the etymology of that is so apt re St Mary Magdalene! ) recently. The remembranc e of things past...
- benedetta: Looks good Father!
- Hb: Well, many of us follow the pre 62 rubrics as well as use pre 55 Holy Week so I don’ t see the problem since it already exists in earlier rubrics. It would seem to me using a long estab...
- Gabriel Syme: What a disappoint ment the modern Jesuit Order is. I suppose, if you take (what was) a loyal and dynamic order, and set them to a bad task (implement ation of Vatican 2) then this...
- Gabriel Syme: Btw, what a fantastic picture that is of the SSPX men standing in front of the Statue of Archbishop Lefebvre. Argh, I think the statue is actually of Pius X! My bad! D’oh !
- Gabriel Syme: @ HvonBlumen thal It is said that Bp Fellay would have signed the last deal which the Vatican offered, but Bp Gallareta opposed and Bp Fellay wanted unanimity between the SSPX bisho...
- TonyO: The creed would be a good addition to the Mass for Mary Magdalene, but not enough of a good to supercede obedience to the rubrics as written. As p.frank suggested, we have to not only push...
- Unwilling: Yeahbut 230; why not the Doctors?
- APX: I voted yes, but I misunderst ood the question. I assumed it meant, if Rome approved. I don’t think we should just add of our own free will.
- truthfinder: The order of suppressio n stated the Jesuits were abolished ‘for ever’ ; and in some translatio ns “for eternity 8221;. Makes you wonderR 30;
- Dismas: In a word, no. I expect a poorer ratio of courageous , faithful bishops than was tallied in England around 1534. Courage, like any other virtue, becomes flaccid and atrophied when not...
- philosophicallyfrank: We should not be surprised by what is a continuall y growing effort to destroy the Church. There have been two Apparition s of the Blessed Mother since WWII when She foret...
- Dismas: What, no “Meh ” or “I 8217;m not touching this with a thirty foot pole” ; options?
- philosophicallyfrank: We tend to be critical of many who add & subtract from what the Ordinary Form was suppose to be; so, we, who appreciate the Extraordin ary Form, need to seek desired...
- Anita Moore, O.P.(lay): In countries that have purported to outlaw the seal of the confession al it will be even worse than we think. Because the only way for the government to know a priest has...
- teomatteo: On an all together different note: that counter top appears to be, Saint Cecilia, comes outta s.america. i think.
- frjimt: From the office today: for the honor of him who lives us, it is proper to obey w/out hypocrisy; for a man does not so much deceive the bishop he can see as try to receive the bishop he...
- Ave Maria: Oh if only they had been suppressed again before we had a Jesuit pope! So many of them and many of their institutio ns are a scandal and a danger to the faith.
- HvonBlumenthal: The suppressio n of an order doesn’t mean that good priests are tossed out with the bathwater, merely that they would be welcomed in a healthier order; I find Anneliese’ s remark...
- Malta: These religious in my state are preserving the faith: http://www .ourladyof guadalupem onastery.c om/
- Malta: The Jesuits annoy me, not en masse, but the hierarchy on up to someone in the Vatican. They have a superior attitude which rings me the wrong way. When I was a Senior Trial Prosecutor I...
- dmflinn: May the Lord welcome him into eternal rest.
- APX: Has Cardinal Burke said anything on the matter? He used to have a very close associatio n with the USACV when he was still an archbishop .
- JesusFreak84: I saw someone comment on Twitter that there should be “Jes uits of the Strict Observance .” As long as strict means strict, I say go for it and suppress the rest. I do...
- Sconnius: Gandalf the Grey: [reading] The year 3434 of the Second Age. Here follows the account of Issac, the High Vicar of Black Duck, at the finding of the Brew of Power. “It has come to...
CLICK and say your daily offerings!
- Fr. Z’s Kitchen and Remembrance of Things Past
- 22 July: Mary Magdalene and the Creed at Mass – POLL!
- Can you imagine bishops doing something like this today?
- ASK FATHER: Blessing for a Wheelchair, Stretcher, or Ambulance
- FEAST DAY! 21 July 1773 – Clement XIV suppressed the Jesuits!
- R.I.P. Msgr. Camille Perl, once Secretary of the Pontifical Commission “Ecclesia Dei”
- And now for your Friday SSPX news!
- WDTPRS – 16th Ordinary Sunday: The Enemy is hunting YOU
- For your consideration…
- The hurly burly of Medieval Studies!
- FLYING ELECTRIC SPACE SPIDERS!
- ASK FATHER: Mass texts for St. Elijah, Old Testament Prophet
- What could possibly go wrong? – UPDATED
- YOUR GOOD NEWS… and Washington DC’s new Auxiliary Bishop and key priest at Detroit’s major seminary
- Budding young feminist archeologists
- ASK FATHER: Baptism of child of a same-sex couple?
- BOOK RECEIVED: Why Humanae Vitae Is Still Right!
- What the TMSM is doing with your donations
- Who is behind that “Lovely, drippy, syrupy TLM and vocation video” and how are they being treated?
- ACTION ITEM! Pray for Fr. Morris, victim of the homosexualist agenda
- Are we still trustworthy?
- Lovely, drippy, syrupy TLM and vocation video. Then Fr. Z rants about crying.
- The image of the badge of the Vendée came to mind today
- ACTION ITEM! Spiritual Bouquet for Bp. Morlino
- Fr. Z’s Kitchen: Garofolato!
- ASK FATHER: Cremains in funeral Mass, Traditional Requiem
- Pontifical Mass in Lake Charles. A brief and yet optimistic rant from Fr. Z.
- The last 10 minutes…
- 17 July 1794: “Permission to die, Mother?”
- 17 July 2018 – 100 years after
Let us pray…
Grant unto thy Church, we beseech Thee, O merciful God, that She, being gathered together by the Holy Ghost, may be in no wise troubled by attack from her foes. O God, who by sin art offended and by penance pacified, mercifully regard the prayers of Thy people making supplication unto Thee,and turn away the scourges of Thine anger which we deserve for our sins. Almighty and Everlasting God, in whose Hand are the power and the government of every realm: look down upon and help the Christian people that the heathen nations who trust in the fierceness of their own might may be crushed by the power of thine Arm. Through our Lord Jesus Christ, Thy Son, who liveth and reigneth with Thee in the unity of the Holy Ghost, God, world without end. R. Amen.
My "challenge coin" for my 25th anniversary of ordination in 2016.
Want one? I do exchanges with military and LEOs, etc. and you can make a donation.
New miscellaneous releases and events
Yes, Fr. Z is taking ads…
A great hymnal…
Because it matters what children read…
I carry one of these super-strong rosaries in my spare mag pouch! The Swiss Guards have them too!
Because you don’t know when you are going to need to move fast or get along without the supermarket…
PLEASE RESPOND. Pretty pleeeease?Loading ...
WDTPRS POLLLoading ...
Fr. Z’s stuff is everywhere
Help support Fr. Z’s Gospel of Life work at no cost to you. Do you need a Real Estate Agent? Calling these people is the FIRST thing you should do!
GREAT causes to support
Help Monks in Wyoming (coffee – UPDATED LINK) and Norcia (beer) and the wonderful "Soap Sisters" of Summit, NJ!
Please follow me on Twitter!
If you travel internationally, this is a super useful gizmo for your mobile internet data. I use one. If you get one through my link, I get data rewards.
Category Archives: Lighter fare
News especially for P…
SPIDERS AND SPACE WEATHER: Did you know that spiders can fly? Biologists call it “ballooning.” Spiders spin a strand of silk, it juts into the air, and off they go. Airborne arachnids have been found as … Continue reading
UPDATE 20 July:
They opened the sarcophagus and found…
“a mummified family of three swimming in red liquid.”
___ Originally Published on: Jul 11, 2018
From Science Alert:
A Massive, Black Sarcophagus Has Been Unearthed in Egypt, And Nobody Knows Who’s Inside
Archaeological digs around ancient … Continue reading
Make some popcorn and look at a piece at Fishwrap about young feminists sitting at the knees of Sr. Joan “Triumph in Tahir” Chittister, learning from her Yoda-like wisdom. It’ll be a nostaglic read. My emphases and comments.
Young women ask difficult questions to … Continue reading
The last couple of days have involved a lot of TV coverage. The person who invented the DVR deserves prayers. Everything is recorded, so I can blast through commercials and jump around. Yesterday I tuned in – sort of – … Continue reading
Here is something fun, from a reader and friend in London (slightly edited):
The Vatican Cricket Team and the Archbishop of Canterbury’s 11 combined to form a Christian Team which played against a multi-faith team made up of Jews Muslims, Sikh … Continue reading
From a reader…
When listening to a Collect (or any similar prayer) in Latin, whether OF or EF, I notice that the priest tends to “punctuate” the final phrase as such:
“in unitate Spiritus Sancti Deus, per omnia saecula saeculorum.”
But in English, … Continue reading
This could answer the question of why bishops and priests wreckovated so many churches. From The Week.
Baptist church says it is removing a statue of Jesus because it looks ‘Catholic’
An artist who created a seven-foot statue of Jesus for the … Continue reading
Was there a good point made in the sermon you heard for your Trinity Sunday Mass of obligation?
Let us know.
Also, apart from good points – which is what we want here – let us know if any of the preachers … Continue reading
The loony liberal Left had a predictable meltdown concerning something Pres. Trump said. “Yawn”, right? The sun also rose in the East today. It’s turns out POTUS did not call immigrants “animals”, but rather members of MS13.
However, the context-challenged libs … Continue reading
After some rogue nation lights off a passel of nukes and EMPs everyone, or after the next Carrington Event – which is bound to happen someday – slams your planet back into the 17th century, we are going to have … Continue reading
I’m sure that with this first shot, many of you will be able to tell where this is.
If that elevated hint wasn’t enough.
And then there’s this. It was pretty cold out there, I can affirm. But the 2nd row seats … Continue reading
Some of you long time readers may recall that I’ve been a character in a sci-fi series. I was even killed… at least once. If that isn’t a motivation to read them, I don’t know what is.
I became a ongoing … Continue reading
After looking at the photo which a friend sent me, I’ve decided.
Armed teachers and the Rule of Law.
The other day retired liberal SCOTUS Justice John Paul Stevens issued an op-ed in Hell’s Bible in which he argued for the repeal of the 2nd Amendment.
I’ll get to MSW in a moment. Bear with me.
A writer for the WaPo, … Continue reading
The feast of St. Richard of Chichester cannot go by without my remembering a limerick my old pastor Msgr. Richard Schuler would occasionally quote:
There was an old Bishop of Chichester,
Who said thrice (the Latin for which is ‘ter’),
“Avaunt … Continue reading