Search Fr. Z’s Blog
SHOPPING ONLINE? Please, always come here first!
Enter Amazon through my link. Use the search bar below. Fr Z will get a small percentage of what you spend.
Here's Fr. Z's "catholic" search for Amazon: US HERE - UK HERE And you do need a Kindle! - HERE
“This blog is like a fusion of the Baroque ‘salon’ with its well-tuned harpsichord around which polite society gathered for entertainment and edification and, on the other hand, a Wild West “saloon” with its out-of-tune piano and swinging doors, where everyone has a gun and something to say. Nevertheless, we try to point our discussions back to what it is to be Catholic in this increasingly difficult age, to love God, and how to get to heaven.” – Fr. Z
Coat of Arms by D Burkart
YOUR RECENT COMMENTS
- NBW: Is he reliving his Studio 54 days or is he performing for the men in the pews?? Does he not fear the wrath of God ?? This is THE MASS the Jesus Christ instituted . SHAME on the people in the...
- AveMariaGratiaPlena: What a great man he is. As painful & terrible as his firing from the CDF was, in a way it’s a badge of honor to be badly treated by Team Francis. It shows you’re doing...
- John Nelson: How suprising. On Lifesite news today, this pastor has been removed due to “bou ndary violations ” with a male parishione r. https://ww w.lifesite news.com/n ews/jes...
- Dismas: It’s not outside of belief for harm to come to Archbishop Viganò. The Lavender Mafia has lots of money, now complete control over a sovereign bank with a long history of money laund...
- Jann: How wonderful to hear him speak so strongly!
- DelRayVA: I had an interestin g experience in the Diocese of Metuchen back in the early 1990’ ;s. This was when Hughes was the bishop there, after McCarrick. My parish had a married laywo...
- oldCatholigirl: Although I think Mary Eberstadt is a wise and prophetic writer, I, like Elizabeth D, question the wisdom of the idea that anyone who has been sexually abused should be automat...
- OssaSola: Argh. I guess it depends on the priest. In our former parish we had the most important priest in my life and the best. He did not seem to have any preferred cliques around him dictat...
- Joy65: “cap choirgirl says: 18 September 2018 at 3:20 PM I’m of two minds about this. It can be great if you have a great pastor. It’s always sad to lose a good one. But also, “personali ty...
- richdel: Before people begin envisionin g albino monks hunting for Vigano, it is important to realize that if the present agenda that some in Church leadership are pushing comes to fruition, it...
- George @ Convert Journal: Sadly, Fr. Martin has been *invited* by Abp Wilton Gregory to speak at parishes in the Atlanta Archdioces e. People are rightly upset by this. See: https://ge orgiabu...
- Liz: Praying often for Archbishop Vigano.
- richdel: The Las Cruces Experiment lives on.
- HvonBlumenthal: Part of the reason why well meaning but ignorant Catholics go along with this is the unfortunat e double meaning of the word celebrate.
- tho: Liberalism , as it is defined and practiced for the last 50 or more years, is a poison arrow, delivered by half witted utopians into the body of common sense. Our church, our schools, and all...
- MrsMacD: I will cry when our current pastor leaves us. I will cry, and I will mourn. I know God is good and I trust Him but it always feels cruel to lose a pastor that really loves and cares for...
- Kevin: We are at war aren’ ;t we? St. Michael the Archangel, defend us in battleR 30;.
- Benedict Joseph: This reported today at LifeSite: https://ww w.lifesite news.com/n ews/jesuit -priest-fr om-pro-gay -parish-re moved-afte r-boundary -violation s-with-ma Quite the fan boyR...
- Sawyer: He left out the need to care for immigrants into the Church so that they are fed with the truth of doctrine and the grace of the sacraments , clothed with the beauty of worship, and shelt...
- The original Mr. X: To have Archbishop Viganò taken out by the Lavender Mafia would not help their cause. He is already a hero – they don’t want to make him a martyr. Yes, exactly. If I were a...
- The original Mr. X: On a related note, Father Z, is it still the case that “Sodomy is a sin that cries to Heaven for vengeance” ? What are the Catholic moral/doct rinal/theo logical referen...
- maternalView: God bless him!
- Lauren35: Back when I was a still very ignorant “re- vert” ; to the Faith, a very religious friend invited my family and I to the big Pentecost service in NH. It was her favorite Mass of...
- Shonkin: Thorfinn makes a very good point. A small diocese (e.g. Helena, MT) is used as a “far m team” ; for the big-league dioceses. Sometimes that is fortunate, when a less than...
- Joy65: I’d have gotten up and walked out as soon as that music started. To actually sit there and do the wave in Church is unbelievab le. Sad, disturbing , heart breaking and really and truly...
CLICK and say your daily offerings!
- Card. Müller: “the real danger to today’s humanity is the greenhouse gases of sin and the global warming of unbelief”
- Thoughts on fatherhood and how priestly identity is undercut by short terms as pastors
- More Jesuit idiocy – BUT WAIT! There’s more!
- Henry Sire: “Archbishop Viganò is now living in fear of his life, quite literally.”
- One Mad Mom spanks James Martin, LGBTSJ
- ASK FATHER: Can a Dominican Tertiary priest use the Dominican Rite?
- Lay Rage in Chicago, Mary Eberstadt takes names, and Fr. Z rants
- There are more than one “lavender mafia”
- Your Sunday Sermon Notes
- WDTPRS – 17th Sunday after Pentecost: diabolical contagion
- We are all, I think, striving to understand how we got to the point where we are.
- ASK FATHER: What should we do for Ember Days?
- UPDATED – ACTION ITEM! 10 year old’s fundraiser for a Pregnancy Care Center
- At end of youth meeting, no Apostolic Benediction from Francis.
- Francis to clergy, seminarians, religion in Palermo: “Clericalism… one of the most difficult perversions”
- UPDATE: 15 Sept: Seven Sorrows of Mary, Mater Dolorosa, Queen of Martyrs – Queen of Clergy
- @BishopZubik announces traditional practices for @DioPitt
- Bits and pieces
- WDTPRS – 24th Ordinary Sunday: Does it make any difference to offer prayers to God?
- Videos and hi-res photos of the Consecration of the Abbey and Abbess of Gower
- UPDATED Mary, Queen of the Clergy holy cards with Daily Prayer for Priests – AVAILABLE!
- Of Friday and festive penitential Pesto fit for a King
- BOOKS RECEIVED: A hard look at Francis in Spanish by Argentinian author
- 14 Sept: 11th Anniversary of Summorum Pontificum – Thank you, Benedict XVI!
- Morning After Pill of UK ‘c’atholics – @The_Tablet – falsehood about @BishopMorlino
- IRONY! Francis calls 2019 meeting of bishops on Feast of St. Peter Damian
- A prayer for your confessor, the priest to whom you are about to make your confession
- UPDATES! URGENT TO BISHOPS OF @RaleighDiocese @diosav @DioceseChas @archatl @CatholicNewsCLT
- #HurricaneFlorence, the Carolinas, and You (extraction, security, etc.)
- My View For Awhile: From the Starfield, back to Benghazi
Let us pray…
Grant unto thy Church, we beseech Thee, O merciful God, that She, being gathered together by the Holy Ghost, may be in no wise troubled by attack from her foes. O God, who by sin art offended and by penance pacified, mercifully regard the prayers of Thy people making supplication unto Thee,and turn away the scourges of Thine anger which we deserve for our sins. Almighty and Everlasting God, in whose Hand are the power and the government of every realm: look down upon and help the Christian people that the heathen nations who trust in the fierceness of their own might may be crushed by the power of thine Arm. Through our Lord Jesus Christ, Thy Son, who liveth and reigneth with Thee in the unity of the Holy Ghost, God, world without end. R. Amen.
This blog has to earn its keep!
New miscellaneous releases and events
Yes, Fr. Z is taking ads…
A great hymnal…
Because it matters what children read…
I carry one of these super-strong rosaries in my spare mag pouch! The Swiss Guards have them too!
My "challenge coin" for my 25th anniversary of ordination in 2016.
Want one? I do exchanges with military and LEOs, etc. and you can make a donation.
Because you don’t know when you are going to need to move fast or get along without the supermarket…
PLEASE RESPOND. Pretty pleeeease?Loading ...
WDTPRS POLLLoading ...
Fr. Z’s stuff is everywhere
Help support Fr. Z’s Gospel of Life work at no cost to you. Do you need a Real Estate Agent? Calling these people is the FIRST thing you should do!
GREAT causes to support
Help Monks in Wyoming (coffee – UPDATED LINK) and Norcia (beer) and the wonderful "Soap Sisters" of Summit, NJ!
Please follow me on Twitter!
If you travel internationally, this is a super useful gizmo for your mobile internet data. I use one. If you get one through my link, I get data rewards.
Category Archives: Lighter fare
I’ll take this opportunity, ahead of time, to remind the readership that 9 September is
International Buy a Priest a Beer Day!
What a great opportunity to show support to your local priests and those brilliant, beloved priests whom you read via … Continue reading
During the Kavanaugh hearings in Senate, a pack of morons are disturbing proceedings.
Here is one way this Congressman handled the situation:
Enthusiastic ChurchPop picked up on something “new” from Taylor Marshall (who has done good things recently): a title of Our Lady invoked as Exterminatrix of Heresies. They posted an image of Mary which I’ve shown on and off on … Continue reading
This comes from a reader…
On a somewhat lighter note, what liturgical changes do you think would have to be made for chaplains of a hypothetical Space Force to celebrate Mass in the Extraterrestrial Form? In particular, the Precious Blood seems particularly difficult to … Continue reading
Take this story with a grain of salt.
From The Onion.
Satan Refuses To Accept Any More Catholic Priests In Hell
NINTH CIRCLE, HELL—Stressing that the situation in the underworld was quickly spiraling out of control, Satan, the Great Tempter and Father of … Continue reading
From an old friend, a hopeful note.
Also, he shows that Catholics can have a sense of humor.
Dear Fr. Z,
Everyone I spoke with after Mass today feels as I and many of your blogreaders do — we are all redoubling our … Continue reading
Here is a photo of Card. Farrell, the understudy of non-Card. McCarrick for some many years in Washington DC, now the Prefect of the Dicastery for the Family, who also said that priests are not able properly to prepare couples … Continue reading
Now that I look at that post title, I can see why you might think that I am channeling the Id of Trad-dom.
In fact, today I had an informal lunch with some young priests: guys drop in between 12-2 for … Continue reading
Enough of this!
It’s time for Pope Francis to appoint an “Indagator Particularis… Special Prosecutor”.
He will have to be a “Burke’s Law” kind of guy, who will find out who knew what and when.
A “Burke’s Law” kind of guy.
Who could it … Continue reading
News especially for P…
SPIDERS AND SPACE WEATHER: Did you know that spiders can fly? Biologists call it “ballooning.” Spiders spin a strand of silk, it juts into the air, and off they go. Airborne arachnids have been found as … Continue reading
UPDATE 20 July:
They opened the sarcophagus and found…
“a mummified family of three swimming in red liquid.”
___ Originally Published on: Jul 11, 2018
From Science Alert:
A Massive, Black Sarcophagus Has Been Unearthed in Egypt, And Nobody Knows Who’s Inside
Archaeological digs around ancient … Continue reading
Make some popcorn and look at a piece at Fishwrap about young feminists sitting at the knees of Sr. Joan “Triumph in Tahir” Chittister, learning from her Yoda-like wisdom. It’ll be a nostaglic read. My emphases and comments.
Young women ask difficult questions to … Continue reading
The last couple of days have involved a lot of TV coverage. The person who invented the DVR deserves prayers. Everything is recorded, so I can blast through commercials and jump around. Yesterday I tuned in – sort of – … Continue reading
Here is something fun, from a reader and friend in London (slightly edited):
The Vatican Cricket Team and the Archbishop of Canterbury’s 11 combined to form a Christian Team which played against a multi-faith team made up of Jews Muslims, Sikh … Continue reading
From a reader…
When listening to a Collect (or any similar prayer) in Latin, whether OF or EF, I notice that the priest tends to “punctuate” the final phrase as such:
“in unitate Spiritus Sancti Deus, per omnia saecula saeculorum.”
But in English, … Continue reading