Search Fr. Z’s Blog
SHOPPING ONLINE? Please, always come here first!
Enter Amazon through my link. Use the search bar below. Fr Z will get a small percentage of what you spend.
Here's Fr. Z's "catholic" search for Amazon: US HERE - UK HERE And you do need a Kindle! - HERE
“This blog is like a fusion of the Baroque ‘salon’ with its well-tuned harpsichord around which polite society gathered for entertainment and edification and, on the other hand, a Wild West “saloon” with its out-of-tune piano and swinging doors, where everyone has a gun and something to say. Nevertheless, we try to point our discussions back to what it is to be Catholic in this increasingly difficult age, to love God, and how to get to heaven.” – Fr. Z
Coat of Arms by D Burkart
Send Snail Mail to Fr. Z
YOUR RECENT COMMENTS
- DanW: Gaius Marius
- Gab: Damian Thompson ? Verified account @holysmoke 3h3 hours ago To clarify: Fr Rynne didn’t intend to make public Maureen Bennett’s snide letter. I didn’t know that when I published it (and I...
- TonyO: This poor woman Maureen says Your attitude to women on the altar, denying us of the positions we have humbly held in the past… ;” She cannot realize what she is saying. “...
- Gab: adriennep says: “I keep saying Father Z needs to do a cookbook! I’d buy multiple copies. 221; Capital idea! It would go well with the cooking show I keep saying he should do.
- Suburbanbanshee: Agree, Anita. I do not want to be a priest; and it is about sacrifice, not stardom. I have been thinking that a lot of people confuse liturgy with a performing art. God does...
- G1j: We settled for venison goulash today̷ 0;Tasty, but the pasta e ceci looks fantastic.
- JustaSinner: Alas, too many carbs̷ 0;but I can dream!
- Anita Moore, O.P.(lay): The women who want to be priests want it because they don’t get what the priesthood is. They think it’s about power and influence. It isn’t. It’s self-immol ation. I thank...
- Karl Keating: “Can you think of another famous ‘nov us homo… new man’ who was from Arpinum? 8221; Yes, I can, but not perhaps the man you have in mind: Luigi Embergher was born...
- hilltop: “Newly trained” Maureen may be, but now she is newly vetted. Does anyone know if she had her moment in the sanctuary? And if so, what was that like? A “lay leader” (Was she appoint...
- adriennep: I keep saying Father Z needs to do a cookbook! I’d buy multiple copies. Now I have to wait one day to procure ingredient s for this fabulous dish.
- acardnal: Was the broth chicken or vegetable? [This was chicken broth. You could use either.]
- bookworm: “Has no one ever considered the role of ugly churches in making us docile foot soldiers of hell?̶ 1; Or the role of ugly civic/gove rnment buildings in the deteriorat ion of...
- Clinton R.: Sigh, these are the times we live in, when a good and faithful priest must obey a modernist bishop and use a table altar instead of the high altar. The former is a Cranmer table suita...
- Cafea Fruor: Oh, that looks good! I’m sick with a cold today and would love it if someone made me soup. As it is, I got caught off guard with this one (thought it was allergies until this...
- capchoirgirl: Mmmm! That looks fabulous.
- exNOAAman: On the last… ;.. John 11:35
- Ad Orientem: I would file this under the heading of Oikonomia. That’ ;s a concept more widely understood and applied in the Orthodox Church, but still applicable here. The priest is right, but...
- rally1042: Little do I know of Canon Law and GIRM and Rubrics. However, I have noticed that often those who want to discourage TLM and such, cite the Codes, etc. to support their position. However...
- Anita Moore, O.P.(lay): Can’t help contrastin g this to the whistle-bl owing, trash-thro wing, obscenity- shouting, blasphemin g, pudenda-co stume-wear ing (when they aren’t actually naked) harpies...
- BrionyB: If the bishop feels it is important to use the same altar for both forms of the Mass, surely the best solution would be to use the high altar for both. The OF might have to be ad orient...
- Fr. John Zuhlsdorf: A couple of photos suggest to me what the problem is. On the one hand, we have a lady who senses herself to be entitled to be at the altar. She had training as a “...
- Mariana2: Thanks, Father!
- deaconjohn1987: March 24th is also the Traditiona l Feast Day of St. Gabriel the Archangel! https://tr identine-m ass.blogsp ot.com/201 9/03/third -sunday-of -lent-sain t-gabriel. html Holy Archa...
- Constantine Gato: These feminist women always ruin everything – no exceptions . They are always crawling all over the sanctuary before Mass for no good reason. They are always in and out of...
CLICK and say your daily offerings!
- Fr. Z’s Kitchen: Pasta e ceci … with a quiz
- ASK FATHER: Bishop forces priest to use table altar instead of high altar for Extraordinary Form
- LENTCAzT 2019 19 – 3rd Sunday of Lent: Mass is not a souvenir
- Vicious letter to a young, faithful priest
- LENTCAzT 2019 18 – Saturday in the 2nd Week: God chooses the weak
- STOP THE PRESSES: Young people sing in the Illinois State Capitol
- Study Commission: no evidence women were ordained to the diaconate
- Your Good News – UPDATED
- Dots to connect
- STATIONS OF THE CROSS – Audio from Fr. Z
- LENTCAzT 2019 17 – Friday in the 2nd Week: The most efficacious devotion?
- Wherein Fr. Z makes an appeal to the readership
- “Dear Fathers, dear seminarians…” Wherein Fr. Z rants.
- LENTCAzT 2019 16 – Thursday in the 2nd Week: “Don’t give me heaven! Instead give me…”
- George Weigel on “Two Georges” and future persecution
- Francis’ Triduum Schedule: strange lacuna
- Bp. Schneider: On the question of a heretical pope
- ASK FATHER: Father doses off during Mass
- LENTCAzT 2019 15 – Wednesday in the 2nd Week: Card. Burke
- Officially BADASS CATHOLIC PHOTO
- Germany: More dissent from nuns
- “Te, Ioseph celebrent”, a hymn in honor of the Terror of Demons
- CRISIS: Keen analysis of the implosion of the German Church
- LENTCAzT 2019 14 – Tuesday in the 2nd Week: Glorious St. Joseph!
- Lighter fare
- Wherein Fr. Z rants about Hell and sin and Enemy of the soul
- LENTCAzT 2019 13 – Monday in the 2nd Week: Kneeling at Mass, its actual liturgical function
- “You just want the 1950’s back!”
- ASK FATHER: How can eating desserts during Lent be fasting? Would Jesus eat desserts?
- News from the great Benedictines at Norcia: building, dogs, liturgy, beer
Let us pray…
Grant unto thy Church, we beseech Thee, O merciful God, that She, being gathered together by the Holy Ghost, may be in no wise troubled by attack from her foes. O God, who by sin art offended and by penance pacified, mercifully regard the prayers of Thy people making supplication unto Thee,and turn away the scourges of Thine anger which we deserve for our sins. Almighty and Everlasting God, in whose Hand are the power and the government of every realm: look down upon and help the Christian people that the heathen nations who trust in the fierceness of their own might may be crushed by the power of thine Arm. Through our Lord Jesus Christ, Thy Son, who liveth and reigneth with Thee in the unity of the Holy Ghost, God, world without end. R. Amen.
This blog has to earn its keep!
PLEASE subscribe if it is useful.
That way I have steady income I can plan on, and you wind up regularly on my list of benefactors for whom I pray and for whom I periodically say Holy Mass.
For a one time donation...
I set up a
CONTINUE TO GIVE
account, which functions rather like PayPal. Some of you use it. Here is a QCode you can use with your smart phones. Try it!
Also, to receive a link to donate via Continue To Give using your smart phone SEND MESSAGE:
4827563 TO: 715-803-4772 (USA)
Some donations also come through CHASE. That works well. I don't think they take any percentage as fees.
New miscellaneous releases and events
Do you want to show some appreciation?
Yes, Fr. Z is taking ads…
A great hymnal…
Because it matters what children read…
I carry one of these super-strong rosaries in my spare mag pouch! The Swiss Guards have them too!
My "challenge coin" for my 25th anniversary of ordination in 2016.
Want one? I do exchanges with military and LEOs, etc. and you can make a donation.
Because you don’t know when you are going to need to move fast or get along without the supermarket…
PLEASE RESPOND. Pretty pleeeease?Loading ...
WDTPRS POLLLoading ...
Fr. Z’s stuff is everywhere
Help support Fr. Z’s Gospel of Life work at no cost to you. Do you need a Real Estate Agent? Calling these people is the FIRST thing you should do!
GREAT causes to support
Help Monks in Wyoming (coffee – UPDATED LINK) and Norcia (beer) and the wonderful "Soap Sisters" of Summit, NJ!
Please follow me on Twitter!
If you travel internationally, this is a super useful gizmo for your mobile internet data. I use one. If you get one through my link, I get data rewards.
Category Archives: Lighter fare
Do you have some personal good news for the readership? Yesterday, I found daffodils on sale. One of my favorite flowers. Here, “Still Life with Extinguished Candle, Daffodils and Ganganelli Mug“. There’s an allegory in there somewhere, just as in … Continue reading
From a reader… QUAERITUR: I’ve noticed one of our priests frequently doses off and falls asleep…sometimes even during Mass or other liturgical functions. Thankfully, the sleeping is short lived and he wakes back up, but I fear he might fall off into a … Continue reading
James Lileks was, when I was a student at the U of Minnesota, a clever lad who wrote for the university paper and then went on to do other writerly things. He sends out fun tweets, for a long time … Continue reading
There is an interesting piece at the National Catholic Register about how McDonald’s put the Filet-o-fish sandwich on the menu. (Hint: market forces!) I’m not a real fan, but, hey! Here’s more cheerful news. The place libs love to hate, … Continue reading
There’s an old chestnut about how you can rate as “successful” the Masses of various religious orders. For example, the Mass of Benedictines is successful if more than half of the notes were sung properly. Its successful for the the … Continue reading
Because it’s Friday, and because we have all had terrible news all week, here’s what I consider to be one of the five funniest Bugs Bunny cartoons. One of my favorite lines is contained herein. And watch the hooves when … Continue reading
Something to delight the Great Roman™, in gratitude for the video from Nigeria. I was shown this last night on the way back to LA from a talk I gave. Enjoy!
From the often amusing Eye Of The Tiber: Explaining his frustrations at not being able to properly do the red and say the black in his missal during Mass, local color blind priest Father Richard Wendell asked congregants to try as … Continue reading
From a reader… QUAERITUR: Would you like to see the pope (or maybe the next one) resume wearing a red cassock? Well, this is a truly burning question, isn’t it. There are conflicting theories about how the pope wound up … Continue reading
From a reader… Good evening Father, A funny story that you might appreciate. My 4 year old son was sitting with me while putting my 2 year old to sleep, and he was watching my phone. I was praying Vespers … Continue reading
Today, 14 January, is the Feast of the Ass, Asses… the Festum Assinorum (in Latin, plural… inclusive!). No, I am not talking about whom you think I’m talking about. And, no, it’s not a special Jesuit feast. The feast which became popular … Continue reading
Go read John Zmirak’s scorn-laced send-up of the moronic statements by Sen. Mazie Hirono (PartyOfDeath-HI) about federal a court nominee who belongs to the Knights of Columbus. HERE Senator Mazie Hirono Is Right. We Must Intern the Knights of Columbus … Continue reading
In addition to books that pour in, and a few magazines, I get the monthly newsletter from the Fabbrica di San Pietro. They always have fascinating short articles with photos about aspects of the Basilica of St. Peter and the grounds … Continue reading
And now for something completely different. A friend sent this. It’s amazing.