Not to be missed…
Search Fr. Z’s Blog
SHOPPING ONLINE? Please, always come here first!
Enter Amazon through my link. Use the search bar below. Fr Z will get a small percentage of what you spend.
Here's Fr. Z's "catholic" search for Amazon: US HERE - UK HERE And you do need a Kindle! - HERE
“This blog is like a fusion of the Baroque ‘salon’ with its well-tuned harpsichord around which polite society gathered for entertainment and edification and, on the other hand, a Wild West “saloon” with its out-of-tune piano and swinging doors, where everyone has a gun and something to say. Nevertheless, we try to point our discussions back to what it is to be Catholic in this increasingly difficult age, to love God, and how to get to heaven.” – Fr. Z
Coat of Arms by D Burkart
Do you want to show some appreciation?
Send Snail Mail to Fr. Z
YOUR RECENT COMMENTS
- jameeka: Good explanatio n about Jesus harrowing Hell, answered a lot of my questions. I like the beautiful pictures you have accompanyi ng your LentcaZts, Father Z—music, words, pictures—a n...
- SKAY: Another positive story Father Z. Thank you. It is nice to know the bees survived.
- rollingrj: As a lay cantor, I have had the privilege to chant the Exsultet (in English) three times. It is an awe-filled and awesome moment, especially since I am not a member of the tribe of Levi....
- OssaSola: Correction : “But this gave me a glad smile̷ 0;
- OssaSola: People are already telling me they are “pas t their grief̶ 1; over the burning of Notre Dame. I am decidedly NOT over it; it will forever color the Easter triduum for me. But...
- HyacinthClare: THANK YOU! I can’ t go to midnight mass tonight, and now I’ve not missed the real beginning of Easter! Thank you!
- capchoirgirl: We always have all men. It’s the members of the Dominican community (other than the celebrant, of course), and then altar boys/men from the congregati on who have been pre-sel...
- bibi1003: How should the foot-washi ng rite be done according to tradition? In yrecent years past, only our priests and deacons participat ed.
- cbmiamiensis: When the motu proprio was issued the Archbishop chose to include women in the mandatum ceremony here in The Cathedral. However we only choose a total of 8 people so as to avoid the...
- bonhomme: I do not know why everyone is gushing about these new vestments. I thought they looked awful in the preparatio n photograph s but reserved judgement to observe them when finished and...
- Chris in Maryland 2: That moment in the film is where art becomes worship. Fitting praise for the heroic Son of Man.
- G1j: Our priest had to beg/threat en the congregati on because only a few of us got up after the homily. He took what he could get. Sad state of affairs these days. He threatened that the Mass...
- Charivari Rob: One belated thought 230; It is possible that these relics/sou venirs/mem ento mori (whatever term best suits) would have to be encased (or else cleaned to the point of being...
- bourgja: It seems that we are making this overly complicate d. “Liq uids do not break the fast” ; is a very straightfo rward statement, and manualists such as Noldin list water, milk,...
- capchoirgirl: Yup, same here. Buckets of tears. It’s a perfect moment.
- CradleRevert: I just watched this the other night. That’ ;s the moment that always gets me too. Everything about the scene is perfect: the moment, the editing, the soundtrack . It̵...
- maternalView: Oh my they are beautiful! Brought tears to my eyes.
- SanSan: After Good Friday 3 hr services, we began our Divine Mercy Novena, then returned home to watch The Passion. I’m with you Fr. Z. When He falls and Our Mother run’ s to HimR...
- Gab: Cry, not dry!
- Gab: I just dry through it all.
- Mariana2: Thanks, Father!
- Bonaventurian: I tend to get emotional when He’s praying for them as they drive the nails into His feet and when Mary kisses His feet. I didn’ ;t watch it until late last night because...
- Pius Admirabilis: Father, I have the exact same reaction to the exact same scene! When we see how Jesus falls as a child, and Mary rushes to Him – and then He falls under the Holy Cross and...
- Ms. M-S: Yes. And I think, every time I come to that part in the movie, that it means all of us as well.
- JustaSinner: Listened to your podcast of Stations for priests while praying the prescribed prayer 33 times. Best day this year… ;
CLICK and say your daily offerings!
- WDTPRS and AUDIO: The Exsultet – explained, translated, sung
- JUST TOO COOL: Fr. Z kudos to Our Lady’s Bees! They survived the fire #NDParis
- LENTCAzT 2019 46 – Holy Saturday: The Harrowing of Hell
- POLL: Foot-washing on Holy Thursday where you are – ORDINARY FORM
- “Behold, I make all things new.”
- #GoodFriday and You: Prayers for Holy Souls in Purgatory and Plenary Indulgences
- STATIONS OF THE CROSS – Audio from Fr. Z
- Good Friday Reminder: Fasting, Abstaining, and You
- LENTCAzT 2019 45 – Good Friday: The ultimate pulpit
- TMSM: Holy Thursday Mass with the new vestments
- A good article in Crisis about France. Fr. Z adds a short rant.
- LENTCAzT 2019 44 – Holy Thursday: Sin is in the blood
- So a guy with gas cans walks into @StPatsNYC in Midtown Manhattan…
- ARRIVED: Tenebrae Hearse! And a successful bout with Zuhlsdorf’s Law
- PRAYERCAzT: What does the Latin Exorcism really sound like? FOR PRIESTS ONLY – UPDATED
- Fundraising idea for #NotreDame
- VIDEO: Interview with Fr. Jean-Marc Fournier
- WDTPRS – Spy Wednesday, the last Collect of Lent
- VIDEO: Interior of #NotreDame after the fire. WHEW!
- LENTCAzT 2019 43 – Wednesday of Holy Week: In a cataclysm, something must be salvaged.
- VIDEO – The last rite in #NotreDame was… this?
- About #NotreDame and the fire and the altar. Just sayin’…
- Fr. Z rants about #NotreDame fire and the Faith in the Church’s “eldest daughter”
- Inside burning #NotreDame a human chain saved relics, Blessed Sacrament. Fr. Jean-Marc Fournier – OORAH!
- Happy Birthday, Benedict XVI! Ad multos vivas faustissimos annos
- LENTCAzT 2019 42 – Tuesday of Holy Week: It wasn’t a suggestion
- An early ALLELUIA for the vaulting of #NotreDame – It held!
- Fire – roof of Notre Dame of Paris – Will this shock awaken the Faith?
- LENTCAzT 2019 41 – Monday of Holy Week: Cleansing costs
- POLL: @GameOfThrones – Final Season #GoTS8
Let us pray…
Grant unto thy Church, we beseech Thee, O merciful God, that She, being gathered together by the Holy Ghost, may be in no wise troubled by attack from her foes. O God, who by sin art offended and by penance pacified, mercifully regard the prayers of Thy people making supplication unto Thee,and turn away the scourges of Thine anger which we deserve for our sins. Almighty and Everlasting God, in whose Hand are the power and the government of every realm: look down upon and help the Christian people that the heathen nations who trust in the fierceness of their own might may be crushed by the power of thine Arm. Through our Lord Jesus Christ, Thy Son, who liveth and reigneth with Thee in the unity of the Holy Ghost, God, world without end. R. Amen.
This blog has to earn its keep!
PLEASE subscribe if it is useful.
That way I have steady income I can plan on, and you wind up regularly on my list of benefactors for whom I pray and for whom I periodically say Holy Mass.
For a one time donation...
I set up a
CONTINUE TO GIVE
account, which functions rather like PayPal. Some of you use it. Here is a QCode you can use with your smart phones. Try it!
Also, to receive a link to donate via Continue To Give using your smart phone SEND MESSAGE:
4827563 TO: 715-803-4772 (USA)
Some donations also come through CHASE. That works well. I don't think they take any percentage as fees.
Yes, Fr. Z is taking ads…
A great hymnal…
Because it matters what children read…
I carry one of these super-strong rosaries in my spare mag pouch! The Swiss Guards have them too!
My "challenge coin" for my 25th anniversary of ordination in 2016.
Want one? I do exchanges with military and LEOs, etc. and you can make a donation.
Because you don’t know when you are going to need to move fast or get along without the supermarket…
PLEASE RESPOND. Pretty pleeeease?Loading ...
WDTPRS POLLLoading ...
Fr. Z’s stuff is everywhere
Help support Fr. Z’s Gospel of Life work at no cost to you. Do you need a Real Estate Agent? Calling these people is the FIRST thing you should do!
GREAT causes to support
Help Monks in Wyoming (coffee – UPDATED LINK) and Norcia (beer) and the wonderful "Soap Sisters" of Summit, NJ!
Please follow me on Twitter!
If you travel internationally, this is a super useful gizmo for your mobile internet data. I use one. If you get one through my link, I get data rewards.
Tag Archives: birettas
St. Joseph’s Apprentice has made beautiful, practical portable altars for me and for many priests. I have called his portable altars “the ultimate gift for a priest”. I have one that I can travel with, using a Pelican case, that … Continue reading
Pope Francis wants some “lío”. “¡Hagan lío!”, right? I’ve got some “lío” right here. Some time ago I started a project whereby seminarians could contact the great John Hastreiter at Leaflet Missal Co. with their hat size. Meanwhile, you readers get … Continue reading
If you don’t know what this IMPORTANT project is all about, go HERE. Meanwhile, I have received a thank you note from a seminarian recipient of one of your birettas. I just thought you would like to know.
You know about the BIRETTAS FOR SEMINARIANS PROJECT. I reminded you of it the other day. I had a note from a seminarian in these USA: First, I wanted to thank you on behalf of my seminarian brothers and myself for … Continue reading
“¡Hagan lío!”, right? I had a note last month from John Hastreiter at Leaflet Missal: About 30 guys on the waiting list. It’s enough to make you choke up. THIRTY men waiting… waiting… waiting…. YOU, dear readers, have supplied over 100 … Continue reading
The other day, HERE, I mentioned that new seminarians of the diocese, gathered for their annual week with the Extraordinary Ordinary, have been measured for their birettas as part of the ongoing BIRETTAS FOR SEMINARIANS PROJECT. So far, this project has … Continue reading
Every summer the Extraordinary Ordinary of the Diocese of Madison, His Excellency Most Reverend Robert C. Morlino, gathers all the seminarians for about a week of fraternity and conferences. We are in full swing. Today, I celebrated Holy Mass for … Continue reading
¡Hagan lío! I had a nice note from a reader who met a seminarian recipient of one of your birettas. Here at Fr. Z’s Samizdat, for now I’ll anonymize this “In The Wild” pic. It is just better that way, … Continue reading
YOU, dear readers, have supplied over 100 birettas to seminarians. Kudos. Some thank you notes from seminarians with spiffy new birettas HERE and HERE. Last night after the Pontifical Mass I was chatting with seminarians and learned to my horror that a … Continue reading
Some reader feedback. First, I received a great note from a seminarian who benefit from the generosity of one of you readers out there. For more on the BIRETTA PROJECT go HERE Next, a snail mail card from a fellow … Continue reading
I think my Guardian Angel prompted some good feedback over the last few hours. I really needed it. First, from a reader: Based on your recommendation, my wife and I watched The Nightingale last night – US HERE – UK HERE … Continue reading
By now most of you know about the Biretta for Seminarians Project. You – seminarians and lay people – contact John Hastreiter in church goods at Leaflet Missal in St. Paul – 651-209-1951 Ext-331. Seminarians: give name, address, HAT SIZE and John will put you … Continue reading
UPDATE 5 Nov: John Hastreiter at Leaflet Missal in St. Paul forwarded this to me. It is from a grateful seminarian. Thank you for the beautiful (and Italian) Biretta which arrived in the mail yesterday at Mundelein Seminary. This brought … Continue reading
I received this from John at Leaflet Missal in St. Paul: Hello Fr. Z, I have tremendous news! The goal of 20 birettas for the Diocese of Madison has been reached and I express my gratitude to all who have … Continue reading
UPDATE 13 AUG: We have hit our initial goal! I distributed a few of the birettas to the guys yesterday and they were pretty chuffed. I should have some thank you notes pretty soon. “But Father! But Father!”, you liberals … Continue reading