SHOPPING ONLINE? Please, come here first!
About this blog…
“This blog is like a fusion of the Baroque ‘salon’ with its well-tuned harpsichord around which polite society gathered for entertainment and edification and, on the other hand, a Wild West “saloon” with its out-of-tune piano and swinging doors, where everyone has a gun and something to say. Nevertheless, we try to point our discussions back to what it is to be Catholic in this increasingly difficult age, to love God, and how to get to heaven.” – Fr. Z
Coat of Arms by D Burkart
Wonderful about St. Joseph! “Terror of Demons”
ABORTION PILL RESCUE NETWORK
- The most evident mark of God’s anger and the most terrible castigation He can inflict upon the world are manifested when He permits His people to fall into the hands of clerics who are priests more in name than in deed, priests who practice the cruelty of ravening wolves rather than the charity and affection of devoted shepherds.
St. John Eudes
Donate using VENMO
GREAT BEER from Traditional Benedictine Monks in Italy
CLICK and say your daily offerings!
Do you want to show some appreciation?
Do you have a faithful Catholic website that needs competent and reliable tech support?
NEW OPPORTUNITY – 10% off with code: FATHERZ10
Fr. Z’s VOICEMAIL
Nota bene: I do not answer these numbers or this Skype address. You won't get me "live". I check for messages regularly.
020 8133 4535
YOUR RECENT COMMENTS
Books which you must have.
This REALLY helps! And it’s great coffee (and tea)
I use this when I travel both in these USA and abroad. Very useful. Fast enough for Zoom. I connect my DMR (ham radio) through it. If you use my link, they give me more data. A GREAT back up.
Don’t rely on popes, bishops and priests.
“He [Satan] will set up a counter-Church which will be the ape of the Church because, he the devil, is the ape of God. It will have all the notes and characteristics of the Church, but in reverse and emptied of its divine content. It will be a mystical body of the anti-Christ that will in all externals resemble the mystical body of Christ. In desperate need for God, whom he nevertheless refuses to adore, modern man in his loneliness and frustration will hunger more and more for membership in a community that will give him enlargement of purpose, but at the cost of losing himself in some vague collectivity.”
“Who is going to save our Church? Not our bishops, not our priests and religious. It is up to you, the people. You have the minds, the eyes, and the ears to save the Church. Your mission is to see that your priests act like priests, your bishops act like bishops.”
- Fulton Sheen
Therefore, ACTIVATE YOUR CONFIRMATION and get to work!
Send Snail Mail to Fr. Z
- “The modern habit of doing ceremonial things unceremoniously is no proof of humility; rather it proves the offender's inability to forget himself in the rite, and his readiness to spoil for every one else the proper pleasure of ritual.”
- C.S. Lewis
This blog has to earn its keep!
PLEASE subscribe via PayPal if it is useful.
That way I have steady income I can plan on, and you wind up regularly on my list of benefactors for whom I pray and for whom I periodically say Holy Mass.
In view of the rapidly changing challenges I now face, I would like to add more $10/month subscribers. Will you please help?
For a one time donation...
As for Latin…
"But if, in any layman who is indeed imbued with literature, ignorance of the Latin language, which we can truly call the 'catholic' language, indicates a certain sluggishness in his love toward the Church, how much more fitting it is that each and every cleric should be adequately practiced and skilled in that language!" - Pius XI
"Let us realize that this remark of Cicero (Brutus 37, 140) can be in a certain way referred to [young lay people]: 'It is not so much a matter of distinction to know Latin as it is disgraceful not to know it.'" - St. John Paul II
- 11 August: Wonderful Collect for St. Lawrence
- Daily Rome Shot 529, etc.
- “The sky is crying…” – The Vigil and Tears of St. Lawrence
- Daily Rome Shot 528, etc.
- Wherein Fr. Z rants and recommends a must read entry at NLM
- Meanwhile, the Novus Ordo is the only expression of the Roman Rite… not.
- ASK FATHER: The faithful put blood, sweat, and tears into the building, revival of churches, parishes. Given how bishops treat them, is there recourse in Canon Law?
- Your Sunday Sermon Notes: 9th Sunday after Pentecost (N.O. 19th Sunday)
- Daily Rome Shot 527, etc.
- If a law isn’t accepted, it is essentially no law at all. Traditionis? Time will tell. Novus Ordo? Time has told.
- ASK FATHER: Considering the chaos surrounding ‘Traditionis custodes” could we say that, in effect, it is no law at all?
- Daily Rome Shot 526, etc.
- FATHERS! LAITY! Are you ready?
- Daily Rome Shot 525, etc.
- ASK FATHER: I failed to do my confession penance. Now what?
- Daily Rome Shot 524, etc.
- Daily Rome Shot 523, etc.
- Hilarious statement from the Archdiocese of Chicago about the suppression of the Institute of Christ the King
- ASK FATHER: Should displaced Catholics attend the Novus Ordo? Wherein Fr. Z rants.
- Just Too Cool: Mars rover Curiosity is 10 years old
- VIDEO – A message from Card. Burke to the readership of Fr. Z’s Blog
- Daily Rome Shot 522, etc.
- “Si vis pacem para bellum!” Traditional Catholic Activism? Possible? Necessary? Unavoidable? A mind exercise.
- Daily Rome Shot 521, etc. and…
- Daily Rome Shot 520, etc.
- 3.5% of a group can bring the group down, turn it around, or take it over.
- “Beautiful? The FAITHFUL paid for that. Because they WANTED it. And they trusted. They trusted.”
- Invoking “Grandmother of the West”….? What is THAT all about?
- Daily Rome Shot 519, etc.
- D. Arlington: more accompaniment for the faithful who desire the Vetus Ordo
Let us pray…
Grant unto thy Church, we beseech Thee, O merciful God, that She, being gathered together by the Holy Ghost, may be in no wise troubled by attack from her foes. O God, who by sin art offended and by penance pacified, mercifully regard the prayers of Thy people making supplication unto Thee,and turn away the scourges of Thine anger which we deserve for our sins. Almighty and Everlasting God, in whose Hand are the power and the government of every realm: look down upon and help the Christian people that the heathen nations who trust in the fierceness of their own might may be crushed by the power of thine Arm. Through our Lord Jesus Christ, Thy Son, who liveth and reigneth with Thee in the unity of the Holy Ghost, God, world without end. R. Amen.
Yes, Fr. Z is taking ads…
Be a “Zed-Head”!
My "challenge coin" for my 25th anniversary of ordination in 2016.
Want one? I do exchanges with military and LEOs, etc.
PLEASE RESPOND. Pretty pleeeease?Loading ...
This is really useful when travelling… and also when you aren’t and you need backup internet NOW! I use this for my DMR “Zednet” hotspot when I’m mobile. It’s a ham radio thing.
If you travel internationally, this is a super useful gizmo for your mobile internet data. I use one. If you get one through my link, I get data rewards.
Please use my links when shopping! I depend on your help.
WDTPRS POLLLoading ...
Fr. Z’s stuff is everywhere
Help support Fr. Z’s Gospel of Life work at no cost to you. Do you need a Real Estate Agent? Calling these people is the FIRST thing you should do!
GREAT causes to support
Monthly Archives: February 2011
This comes from Damian Thompson: 10,000 traditional Catholics appeal to the Pope not to water down Summorum Pontificum My first ever blog post, four years ago, reported that Catholic traditionalists were worried by the non-appearance of a Motu Proprio removing … Read More
I have read a couple stories lately which claim that Pope Benedict’s second volume on Jesus of Nazareth has some surprises. It does. I may not post as much today. I have an advance copy (strictly embargoed, which I respect), … Read More
You can vote daily for WDTPRS in the Best Blog category and the Best Podcast category at the Reader’s Choice Awards. It takes but a moment and I would be grateful for the token of appreciation. Because of award page … Read More
From a new mother: What advice is there for a new mother? I have no examples in my life, I became Catholic on my own. But since I’ve had my baby, all of my previous devotions I had adapted into … Read More
This may be my last post. Can anyone tell me what the heck this is?
Under another entry, my old friend Fr. Sotelo made a good observation: Perhaps it is now time for the bishops to sit down and write the Charter for the Protection of the Blessed Sacrament, so that He is no longer … Read More
The great canonist Ed Peters, on his blog In the Light of the Law, let’s us know about an exchange over an issue of canon law he has had with the Diocese of Albany, NY. Dr. Peters, a referendarius (consultant) … Read More
I just completed an article for The Wanderer. In this week’s offering I delved into the first of the priest’s possible preparatory prayers before Holy Communion during Mass. In this preparatory prayer we find the phrase “a te numquam separari … Read More
The SSPX seminary for the USA is found in the southern part of my native Minnesota, … hockey is just plain normal. A thoughtful reader alerted me to this story from the Winona Daily News for your “Just Too Cool” … Read More
From a reader: I was recently listening to one of your podcaZts about St. Augustine, and became convinced of my need to make a good confession. A quick questions: I would prefer not to confess at my own parish if … Read More
An alert reader let me know that H.E. Most Rev. Paul Etienne, Bishop of Cheyenne, WY, went to visit the Carmelite men near Cody, WY. There are photos on His Excellency’s blog. “But Father! But Father!”, some of you are … Read More
Under the cover of the chaos in Madison and the Middle-East, President Obama turns against natural marriage. Didn’t they just – by fiat via pro-abortion Catholic Sec. Sebelius – eliminate some conscience protections for health-care workers? Remember, the University of … Read More
It has been a while since I have posted about the feeder. During a recent cold snap, this Chickadee puffed up to keep in the heat. Many thanks to readers who contributed with donations. During a recent sale I was … Read More
Badger Catholic shared this with me and I bring it to your attention. H.E. Most Rev. Robert Morlino, Bishop of the DMZ … er um… Madison, Wisconsin (we have written of this fine bishop here and many other places on … Read More
From the Minneapolis STrib comes this. The featured cleric, Fr. Michael Tegeder, pastor of St. Edward’s in Bloomington, MN, has been a source of dissent in the Archdiocese of St. Paul and Minneapolis for years. We have seen him here … Read More
Norma Jean Coon, A woman who did the “woman priest” thingie and simulated ordination to the diaconate has had a change of mind and heart. She has a webpage where she explains herself. My emphases and comments. This starts off … Read More
Liberals are having palpitations over the story that a "German man married to nun ordained as priest with pope's approval". That is how AP put it. Here is what happened. Permission was given by Pope Beneditct XVI that a married … Read More
The other day I posted a new PODCAzT about the Congregation for the Doctrine of the Faith's 2003 document Considerations regarding proposals to give legal recognition to unions between homosexual persons. That CDF document, addressed to bishops, states in terms … Read More
I posted a cartoon about a parish bulletin here in which the character, writing the parish bulletin, picks on a parishioner who is a parsimonious lick-penny. Giving equal time…