May I suggest that American readers out there call their Senators to ask them to support The Respect for Rights of Conscience Act or S.1467 (read the full text of the bill.)
The Respect for Rights of Conscience Act or S.1467 would restore the rights of conscience and the freedom of religion explicitly found in the First Amendment of the Constitution. One would think that this list should include all 100 Senators.
Click HERE to find contact information. It doesn’t take long and it makes a difference. I called both my senators’ offices and the call was answered right away, I ask a few questions and I gave my opinion. I told them they should not only back the bill, but that they should co-sponsor it. The people who worked the phones were polite and helpful. They said they were getting some calls, but I had the impression that there weren’t too many. So, get on the phone!
Tom Peters – who has been doing good work on this topic – has a list of Senators supporting the bill.
Look for your Senators in this list of the Senators who are cosponsors or who have publicly pledged to vote for the The Respect for Rights of Conscience Act:
- 1. Sen. Roy Blunt, R-MO – Cosponsored on 8/2/2011
- 2. Sen. Marco Rubio, R-FL –Cosponsored on 8/2/2011
- 3. Sen. Kelly Ayotte, R-NH – Cosponsored on 8/2/2011
- 4. Sen. John Thune, R-SD – Cosponsored on 9/6/2011
- 5. Sen. Mike Johanns, R-NE – Cosponsored on 9/6/2011
- 6. Sen. Jerry Moran, R-KS – Cosponsored on 9/6/2011
- 7. Sen. Daniel Coats, R-IN – Cosponsored on 9/7/2011
- 8. Sen. Roger Wicker, R-MS – Cosponsored on 9/9/2011
- 9. Sen. James Risch, R-ID – Cosponsored on 9/12/2011
- 10. Sen. Rand Paul, R-KY – Cosponsored on 9/14/2011
- 11. Sen. Pat Roberts, R-KS – Cosponsored on 10/5/2011
- 12. Sen. Richard Burr, R-NC – Cosponsored on 10/5/2011
- 13. Sen. John Barrasso, R-WY – Cosponsored on 10/5/2011
- 14. Sen. Orrin Hatch, R-UT – Cosponsored on 10/5/2011
- 15. Sen. Michael Enzi, R-WY – Cosponsored on 10/5/2011
- 16. Sen. John Hoeven, R-ND – Cosponsored on 10/5/2011
- 17. Sen. John Boozman, R-AR – Cosponsored on 10/5/2011
- 18. Sen. Mike Crapo, R-ID – Cosponsored on 10/5/2011
- 19. Sen. James Inhofe, R-OK – Cosponsored on 10/5/2011
- 20. Sen. John Cornyn, R-TX – Cosponsored on 10/5/2011
- 21. Sen. Tom Coburn, R-OK – Cosponsored on 10/17/2011
- 22. Sen. Ben Nelson, D-NE – Cosponsored on 10/19/2011
- 23. Sen. Pat Toomey, R-PA – Cosponsored on 10/20/2011
- 24. Sen. Rob Portman, R-OH – Cosponsored on 10/31/2011
- 25. Sen. David Vitter, R-LA – Cosponsored on 1/26/2012 *
- 26. Sen. Saxby Chambliss, R-GA – Cosponsored on 1/31/2012
- 27. Sen. Richard Lugar, R-IN – Cosponsored on 2/1/2012
- 28. Sen. Johnny Isakson, R-GA – Cosponsored on 2/1/2012
- 29. Sen. Mitch McConnell, R-KY – Cosponsored on 2/1/2012
According to Peters there is a companion bill in the House of Representatives, authored by Rep. Jeff Fortenberry, R-NE (endorsed by CatholicVote). Fortenberry’s bill, also known as H.R. 1179, now has 119 cosponsors, up from 97 on the day before President Obama reaffirmed the mandate. To see who the House co-sponsors are click HERE.
To find out what your Senators and Representatives are up to and what the Senate and House are doing, go the site of the Library of Congress “THOMAS” by clicking HERE.
I am pleased to see that both senators from GA are co-sponsors of the bill. I have written thanks to both offices.
I have already contacted my Congressman and my Republican Senator is one of the co-sponsors of this bill.
My other Senator is a Democrat who voted for Obamacare.
Rep. Fortenberry is a graduate of Fransciscan University…. He’s a very personable guy and is with the Church 100% on issues pertaining to the Faith.
You can also go to this site at the National Committee for a Human Life Ammendment, which allows you to write a letter and then have it sent automatically to your congressional leaders
I’ve already received my replies from Rep. Delauro and and Sen. Lieberman saying thank you for your input but…
I do know that some representatives and senators are more interested in mail that comes by the USPS. I’ve heard that some even weigh the mail bags to decide how to vote.
Make sure you tell them that you’re praying for them.
If you are at all nervous about using the link I gave, you can get there through the USCCB site:
No surprise that NJ’s senator’s are not on that list.
Thank you for the tremendous effort you put forth to organize this program of response.
I telephoned the offices of my Democrat senators; one of whom appears to be a Catholic In Name Only and the other is an avowed socialist. Although neither senator has posted an official position yet, the ladies manning the telephones in each office courteously registered my plea for a YES vote and assured me of a response.
My bishop published a strong letter on the issue last Sunday, of course decrying the intentions of the HHS.
Thank you Father for posting this.
As of this writing Senator Kay Bailey Hutchison is not a co-sponsor of this bill. If you live in Texas please contact her via her website…
Please request that she co-sponsor this bill along with Senator John Cornyn.
Wrote ’em. Now to write and encourage the Bishop!
RRCA – Real Roman Catholics Act. ;)
Apparently the Thomas search links are to searches done, which are live for only 30 minutes, so they have already expired, or at least, the first one has.
Surprised not to see my Rep., Tom Price, on there.
Will bother his office Monday.