A prayer for a miracle: the sudden, complete and lasting obliteration of COVID-19
Search Fr. Z’s Blog
SHOPPING ONLINE? Please, come here first!
Your use of my Amazon link is a major part of my income. It helps to pay for insurance, groceries, everything. Please remember me when shopping online. Thanks in advance.
Try AmazonFresh Free Trial
Shop Amazon Gold Box - New Deals. Everyday
Shop Amazon Gift Cards - Instant Delivery or Free One-Day Shipping
Try Prime Discounted Monthly Offering
And you do need a Kindle! - HERE
Kindle Unlimited Membership Plans
About this blog…
“This blog is like a fusion of the Baroque ‘salon’ with its well-tuned harpsichord around which polite society gathered for entertainment and edification and, on the other hand, a Wild West “saloon” with its out-of-tune piano and swinging doors, where everyone has a gun and something to say. Nevertheless, we try to point our discussions back to what it is to be Catholic in this increasingly difficult age, to love God, and how to get to heaven.” – Fr. Z
Coat of Arms by D Burkart
CLICK and say your daily offerings!
Do you want to show some appreciation?
Do you have a faithful Catholic website that needs competent and reliable tech support?
YOUR RECENT COMMENTS
- DanW: Happy Anniversar y!
- iPadre: Ad multos annos!
- Irish Timothy: God Bless you and congratula tions Father! And thank you for saying yes to God when you did!!!
- JPaulZ: Happy anniversar y! I thank God for your persistenc e during your years of learning and discernmen t, that lead to this incredible event. Where would you be today if you allowed yourself to...
- Joy1985: Congratula tions and Thank You for answering God’ s call. Our Priest made hiss 33rd Anniversar y Saturday. Thank You Lord for giving us such good, devout, true Priests.
- HighMass: What an honor to be ordained by a future Saint. Congrats Father Z. When you listen to the Holy Fathers Sermon, it brings one back to all the, powerful sermons he gave during his Pontifi...
- Paul: Bless you Father on your anniversar y. Pray for you daily. Congratula tions.
- mamajen: Happy anniversar y, Father!
- KateD: Perhaps stupid is an as of yet undiagnose d symptom of CoVID19? Everyone believes they are intelligen t, but only 2% of the population is. That means 98% of y’all are wrong̷ 0;.lol.
- Sandy: Abundant blessings on your anniversar y, Father. May the Lord, Mother Mary, and the angels keep you safe!
- Hidden One: Congratula tions on making it this far!
- Diana: So beautiful. Thank you for sharing this with us, Father! And a happy anniversar y to you. May God give you many more years, and may He continue to bless your priesthood and to give you all...
- JakeMC: I have a sneaking suspicion that posed this photo to poke fun at the whole “soc ial distancing ” thing.
- veritas vincit: In contemplat ing return to the Mass (NO) on Pentecost, I have devoted a great deal of thought as to how to receive on the tongue. In addition to holding my breath, I plan to make...
- PostCatholic: I was the challenger , but I am not your benefactor in this instance. Congratula tions on the risotto. And I’m glad you have a generous friend out there. I do love our multi-c...
- JustaSinner: Oh no, NOT technology ! Those new fangled BBQ lighters must go the way safety tipped matches went… ;they̵ 7;re full of the Devil̵ 7;s dirt– ;sulfur! Aaaaahh...
- RCS: When do we get the official Fr Z cookbook ;)
- Joy1985: bobbortoli n That is probably due to skyrocketi ng insurance premiums
- bobbortolin: Sorry about that, “I think they’ ;re awful “
- bobbortolin: My parish as push-butto n, electric votive candles. Personally , I think there awful.
- Joy1985: “Fer retti says: 25 May 2020 at 3:12 PM Votive candles for spiritual intercessi on and grilling steaks and hot dogs. There’s a difference . Napalm? 221; Well what is worse light...
- Fr PJM: A look at the Ordinary of the Mass shows that there is no “exi t antiphon 8221; to which would correspond a replacing hymn or song. So when the priest or deacon says “go in...
- Moro: Honestly, while I am no theologian or canonist, I have to think just having the parents doing the baptism themselves at home would have been an incredible improvemen t. Depending upon the...
- WmHesch: Interestin gly violet vestments were worn if there was a Requiem at the side altar during 40 Hours
- tho: Experienci ng what we once had, and seeing what we have now, is very depressing . Our hierarchy reminds me of the Democrats, telling us that socialism is a viable form of government , in spite...
Fr. Z’s VOICEMAIL
Nota bene: I do not answer these numbers or this Skype address. You won't get me "live". I check for messages regularly.
020 8133 4535
Don’t rely on popes, bishops and priests.
“Who is going to save our Church? Not our bishops, not our priests and religious. It is up to you, the people. You have the minds, the eyes, and the ears to save the Church. Your mission is to see that your priests act like priests, your bishops act like bishops.”
- Fulton Sheen
Therefore, ACTIVATE YOUR CONFIRMATION and get to work!
Send Snail Mail to Fr. Z
“The modern habit of doing ceremonial things unceremoniously is no proof of humility; rather it proves the offender's inability to forget himself in the rite, and his readiness to spoil for every one else the proper pleasure of ritual.”
- C.S. Lewis
This blog has to earn its keep!
PLEASE subscribe if it is useful.
That way I have steady income I can plan on, and you wind up regularly on my list of benefactors for whom I pray and for whom I periodically say Holy Mass.
For a one time donation...
I set up a
CONTINUE TO GIVE
account, which functions rather like PayPal. Some of you use it. Here is a QCode you can use with your smart phones. Try it!
Also, to receive a link to donate via Continue To Give using your smart phone SEND MESSAGE:
4827563 TO: 715-803-4772 (USA)
Some donations also come through CHASE. That works well. I don't think they take any percentage as fees.
I was at this conference last year. I’ll probably go this year! That’s how enjoyable it was. I’ve marked my calendar.
As for Latin…
"But if, in any layman who is indeed imbued with literature, ignorance of the Latin language, which we can truly call the 'catholic' language, indicates a certain sluggishness in his love toward the Church, how much more fitting it is that each and every cleric should be adequately practiced and skilled in that language!" - Pius XI
"Let us realize that this remark of Cicero (Brutus 37, 140) can be in a certain way referred to [young lay people]: 'It is not so much a matter of distinction to know Latin as it is disgraceful not to know it.'" - St. John Paul II
- 26 May 1991: Ordination
- 26 May – HOLY MASS (TLM) St. Philip Neri & Anniv. of Ordination – LIVE VIDEO: 1200h CDT (GMT/UTC -5)
- ASK FATHER: Mass at a side altar during Exposition of the Blessed Sacrament? And a short rant.
- 25 May – HOLY MASS (TLM) St. Gregory VII – LIVE VIDEO: 1200h CDT (GMT/UTC -5)
- How stupid are things getting in this time of Coronavirus, you ask?
- Fr. Z’s Kitchen: The Contraption
- Your Sunday after Ascension 2020 Sermon Notes and the Exorcism against Satan and Apostate Angels
- PRIESTS: Are you available to take a “Gregorian Mass” intention? UPDATE
- ACTION ITEM: A tip for receiving Communion on the tongue in time of COVID-1984: HOLD YOUR BREATH!
- Fearmongering @JamesMartinSJ goes to the zoo on national TV about churches reopening and about @RealDonaldTrump
- UPDATE: BAPTISMAL FONT PROJECT – INSTALLATION! Video message to YOU READERS!
- ASK FATHER: What is physically required for the laity to participate at Mass?
- 23 May – HOLY MASS (TLM) St. Giovanni Battista de Rossi – LIVE VIDEO: 1200h CDT (GMT/UTC -5)
- ASK FATHER: Can you fulfill your Sunday Mass obligation during “lockdown” by watching online?
- 22 May – HOLY MASS (TLM) St. Rita of Cascia – LIVE VIDEO: 1200h CDT (GMT/UTC -5)
- Terrific rant!
- Your Ascension Thursday 2020 Sermon Notes
- Church that refused to close during lock down gets burned down
- Fr. Z with thanks to benefactors and a reminder
- COVID-1984, Your iPhone, and You
- 21 May – HOLY MASS (TLM) for Ascension Thursday – LIVE VIDEO: 1200h CDT (GMT/UTC -5)
- Forty, a poem, and ancient garlic cheese spread
- CELEBRATE! 26th Anniversary of “Ordinatio sacerdotalis”!
- YOUR URGENT PRAYER REQUESTS
- Confuse a liberal
- 20 May – St. “Golden Girl”, Aurea of Ostia and a fascinating Latin inscription
- 20 May – HOLY MASS (TLM) for Rogation Wednesday – LIVE VIDEO: 1200h CDT (GMT/UTC -5)
- ASK FATHER: “Why aren’t Masses restarted without Holy Communion?”
- Fr. Z’s Kitchen: Supper For The Promotion of Clericalism™ – Beef!
- 19 May – HOLY MASS (TLM) St. Peter Celestine – LIVE VIDEO: 1200h CDT (GMT/UTC -5)
Let us pray…
Grant unto thy Church, we beseech Thee, O merciful God, that She, being gathered together by the Holy Ghost, may be in no wise troubled by attack from her foes. O God, who by sin art offended and by penance pacified, mercifully regard the prayers of Thy people making supplication unto Thee,and turn away the scourges of Thine anger which we deserve for our sins. Almighty and Everlasting God, in whose Hand are the power and the government of every realm: look down upon and help the Christian people that the heathen nations who trust in the fierceness of their own might may be crushed by the power of thine Arm. Through our Lord Jesus Christ, Thy Son, who liveth and reigneth with Thee in the unity of the Holy Ghost, God, world without end. R. Amen.
Yes, Fr. Z is taking ads…
Because it matters what children read…
Be a “Zed-Head”!
I carry one of these super-strong rosaries in my spare mag pouch! The Swiss Guards have them too!
My "challenge coin" for my 25th anniversary of ordination in 2016.
Want one? I do exchanges with military and LEOs, etc. and you can make a donation.
PLEASE RESPOND. Pretty pleeeease?Loading ...
Please use my links when shopping! I depend on your help.
WDTPRS POLLLoading ...
“Rigid”? Pfffft. “Faithful!” No priest’s desk or kitchen is complete without one, for young, old, and priests in general.
Fr. Z’s stuff is everywhere
Help support Fr. Z’s Gospel of Life work at no cost to you. Do you need a Real Estate Agent? Calling these people is the FIRST thing you should do!
GREAT causes to support
Help Monks in Wyoming (coffee – UPDATED LINK) and Norcia (beer) and the wonderful "Soap Sisters" of Summit, NJ!
Please follow me on Twitter!
If you travel internationally, this is a super useful gizmo for your mobile internet data. I use one. If you get one through my link, I get data rewards.
Tag Archives: Sunday obligation
From a reader… QUAERITUR: While on lockdown, can watching (within a sunday) a replayed online mass fulfill the sunday mass obligation? Or must one have to watch the online sunday mass in real time to fulfill this obligation? First of … Continue reading
UPDATE 24 June I had a note from Peter Vere which, with his permission, I should add to the post. A number of folks have sent me the following link, in which you mention my name directly, regarding the SSPX. … Continue reading
From a reader… QUAERITUR: I need to take various training courses (ie: first aid, CPR and AED training, as well as Suicide Intervention training, etc) to meet the qualifications for more gainful employment. It used to be they would hire you and pay … Continue reading
Was there a good point made in the sermon you heard during your Mass to fulfill your Sunday Obligation? Let us know. You were paying attention, weren’t you? UPDATE: At The Catholic Thing, Dr. Howard Kainz laments that, since Vatican … Continue reading
From a reader… QUAERITUR: I work in an office for 8 hours each weekday. Any physical activity I can get is a welcome relief. Am I able to work out on Sundays without violating the third commandment? Let’s turn first … Continue reading
From a priest… QUAERITUR: I was not at peace with the Sunday-obligation-Saturday-evening question and answer. HERE Imagine a penitent: Bless me Father, for I have sinned. Three weeks ago I was leaving on a anonruise, which was for fun, but … Continue reading
From a reader… May I attend a Mass by an SSPX priest during the Year of Mercy to fulfill my Sunday obligation? What is the current status of their Mass and is it affected by the Year of Mercy declaration … Continue reading
From a reader… QUAERITUR: I read your recent answer to a man whose work schedule keeps him from attending Mass. I’d like to go down that road a little further. I’m a commercial pilot. My schedule (which is written in stone) keeps … Continue reading
From a reader… QUAERITUR: if I go to nursing [home] to visit someone and I go for mass and watch it on a tv and fr is in the chapel does that count for filling my sunday obligation We are … Continue reading
From a reader: Howdy Fr. Z [Fine, thanks!] I had a question about fulfilling my Sunday Obligation at an SSPX chapel. First let me say, I am 100% with the bishops and the pope. I prefer the Latin Mass. I am about … Continue reading
QUAERITUR: Can’t attend Sunday Mass. Wherein Fr. Z gives a long, convoluted answer with lots of history and some Latin.
From a reader: I am currently in attendance at a law enforcement academy in order to become certified as a State Trooper. It runs until January of next year, is a live-in facility, and is structured in a very paramilitary … Continue reading
From a reader: we will be on a Greek island without a Catholic church on a Sunday: can we attend the Greek mass and/or receive the Sacrament? You can, and I think should, attend the Greek Divine Liturgy if attending a … Continue reading
QUAERITUR: Do I fulfill my 8 December Holy Day Mass obligation on Saturday and my Sunday obligation by going to Mass on Saturday evening?
Go HERE for an important follow-up post. I am getting a lot of questions about fulfilling the Mass obligation on the upcoming Saturday afternoon, the Solemnity of the Immaculate Conception. For example, Would it fulfill my obligation for the … Continue reading
From a reader: I was chatting with someone and she told me the priest in the parish where she is a member gave her permission, due to her ill health and thus difficulty in attending Mass on Sunday, to “attend Mass … Continue reading
From a reader: Is it permissible to have a Extraordinary Form Vigil Mass on a Saturday evening? Yes, I believe it is. I believe so… again… I believe so. Permission to say Holy Mass in the evening was granted before … Continue reading