CDF issues declaration on canonical status of “so-called Greek-Catholic bishops of Pidhirci”
Given below is the text of a declaration issued today by the Congregation for the Doctrine of the Faith concerning the canonical status of the “so-called Greek-Catholic bishops of Pidhirci”: Fr. Elias A. Dohnal O.S.B.M., Fr. Markian V. Hitiuk O.S.B.M., Fr. Metodej R. Spirik O.S.B.M., and Fr. Robert Oberhauser. The text is dated 22 February and bears the signatures of Cardinal William Joseph Levada and Archbishop Luis Francisco Ladaria Ferrer S.J., respectively prefect and secretary of the Congregation for the Doctrine of the Faith.
(1) The Holy See has followed with great concern the activities of Fr. Elias A. Dohnal O.S.B.M., Fr. Markian V. Hitiuk O.S.B.M., Fr. Metodej R. Spirik O.S.B.M., and Fr. Robert Oberhauser who, having been expelled from the Basilian Order of St. Josaphat, subsequently proclaimed themselves as bishops of the Greek-Catholic Ukrainian Church. With their disobedience, these priests continue to challenge ecclesiastical authority, causing moral and spiritual damage, not only to the Basilian Order of St. Josaphat and the Greek-Catholic Ukrainian Church, but also to this Apostolic See and the Catholic Church as a whole. All this provokes division and bewilderment among the faithful. The aforementioned priests, having established a group of “bishops” of Pidhirci, have recently sought to have that group recognised and registered by the competent State authorities as the “Ukrainian Orthodox Greek-Catholic Church”.
(2) Since the beginning of this painful episode, Church representatives of various ranks have sought to dissuade them from continuing a conduct which, among other things, could deceive the faithful, as has already happened in a number of cases.
(3) The Holy See, concerned to protect the unity and peace of Christ’s flock, had hoped in the repentance and subsequent return of the aforementioned priests to full communion with the Catholic Church. Unfortunately the most recent developments – such as the unsuccessful attempt to acquire State registration for the “Pidhirci” group under the name of the “Ukrainian Orthodox Greek-Catholic Church” – demonstrates their continuing disobedience.
(4) Therefore, to safeguard the common good of the Church and the “salus animarum”, and given that the so-called “bishops” of Pidhirci show no sign of repentance but continue to create confusion and disarray in the community of faithful, in particular by calumniating representatives of the Holy See and of the local Church, and asserting that the supreme authority of the Church is in possession of documentation testifying to the full validity of their episcopal ordination, the Congregation for the Doctrine of the Faith, accepting the request presented by the ecclesiastical authorities of the Greek-Catholic Ukrainian Church, and by other dicasteries of the Holy See, has decided, by this declaration, to inform the faithful, especially in the countries of origin of the so-called “bishops”, about their current canonical status.
(5) This Congregation, disassociating itself entirely from the actions of the so-called “bishops” aforementioned, and from their aforesaid declarations, formally declares that it does not recognise the validity of their episcopal ordinations, or of any and all ordinations that have derived, or will derive therefrom. Moreover, the canonical status of the four so-called “bishops” is that of excommunication, pursuant to canon 1459 para. 1 of the Code of Canons of the Eastern Churches (CCEO), in view of the fact that an appeal sentence of the ordinary tribunal of the Major Archiepiscopal Ukrainian Church, issued on 10 September 2008, recognised them as guilty of offences under canons 1462, 1447 and 1452 of the CCEO; i.e., the offences of illegitimate usurpation of office, inciting sedition and hatred towards certain hierarchs, provoking subjects to disobedience, and harming a third party’s good name by calumny.
(6) Furthermore, the use of the name “Catholic” by groups which are not recognised by the competent ecclesiastical authority is to be considered as illegitimate, pursuant to canon 19 of the CCEO.
(7) The faithful are, then, enjoined not to adhere to the aforementioned group as, to all canonical effects, it is outside ecclesiastical communion. The faithful are invited to pray for the members of the group, that they may repent and return to full communion with the Catholic Church. (VIS)
Search Fr. Z’s Blog
SHOPPING ONLINE? Please, always come here first!
Enter Amazon through my link. Use the search bar below. Fr Z will get a small percentage of what you spend.
Here's Fr. Z's "catholic" search for Amazon: US HERE - UK HERE And you do need a Kindle! - HERE
“This blog is like a fusion of the Baroque ‘salon’ with its well-tuned harpsichord around which polite society gathered for entertainment and edification and, on the other hand, a Wild West “saloon” with its out-of-tune piano and swinging doors, where everyone has a gun and something to say. Nevertheless, we try to point our discussions back to what it is to be Catholic in this increasingly difficult age, to love God, and how to get to heaven.” – Fr. Z
YOUR RECENT COMMENTS
- Anita Moore, O.P.(lay): The mic is also bad for music. It makes singers lazy, and makes bad singing (since we are too egalitaria n to weed out bad singers) loud. Modern choir directors have a...
- jhayes: robert brown, those whose homosexual tendencies are not “dee ply-rooted ” “Dee p-seated 8221; is the term used in the English version of the 2005 Vatican stateme...
- Fr. Andrew: Thinking of, then, Cardinal Ratzinger& #8217;s idea of reintroduc ing aspects of the silent canon in Spirit of the Liturgy, I thought he missed the possibilit y of removing the microp...
- kat: May i also recommend My Catholic Faith as an excellent household resource to learn the Faith and look up topics? Easily readable and understand able for tweens and teens and adults! A great...
- monstrance: Or – Just the biggest blast torch the universe has ever witnessed in the hand of the Almighty. Of course, delegated to one of His Ferocious Angels.
- MrsMacD: Speaking of a microphone Mass; I went to a parish a couple weeks ago where there were two screens up in the sanctuary (our van was in the shop, we walked to town for Mass). The priest...
- Amerikaner: A deacon-rel ated question: A well-know diocese in Nebraska doesn̵ 7;t have a diaconate program and won’ t have it as they say that there are enough priests. Is true that the...
- Staupostek: I never comment on stories like this, but I feel moved to do so in this case since it strikes so closely to home. This subject pains me deeply. I struggle with same-sex attraction , and...
- mepoindexter: “Sin g a new faith community into being̶ 1; as it were by starting a Gregorian Chant Schola. There̵ 7;s TONS of great resources online.
- MoreIncenseLessNonsense: Melkite Greek-Cath olic here – only the priests and deacons are ever allowed to touch the Eucharist, which for us is consecrate d leavened bread. The clergy serve the...
- Malta: They may well vote for it; Our Lady of Akita said if men do not better themselves fire would fall from the sky wiping out a great part of humanity. I think fire is about to fall, whether...
- youngcatholicgirl: These comments about seeking spiritual direction in the confession al remind me of what a friend of mine was told by a Dominican sister: “Don ’t use Confession for...
- Cincinnati Priest: Thanks, Fr. Z. A couple of tips. Pastors: Please post an examinatio n of conscience prominentl y on your parish website so that people can find it *before* confession s. Regard...
- semperficatholic: Amen to that! I used to pray Cardinal Arinze would be elected Pope; also Cardinal Sarah. There is still hope; hope will help you cope.
- Henry Edwards: “the bishops of that sad place are going to the zoo about Communion for non-Cathol ics.” ; Is the problem in Germany simply the apparent fact that the German bishops have...
- RichR: If you are sincere in your penitence, wordiness is unnecessar y. God knows your heart and your sins better than you do. The priest just needs to know your sins (number and kind) to exerc...
- robtbrown: Malta says: 24 May 2018 at 7:58 AM It seems he contradict s himself to some degree on the issue of homosexual ity (cf: http://the week.com/a rticles/77 4517/pope- francis-cu nning-l...
- robtbrown: Jhayes, Those with deeply rooted homosexual tendencies and those who practice homosexual acts: Who has been excluded (other than heterosexu als)?
- JPD: I think if someone wants to make a General Confession ; then yes more time will be required. However, I have stood in the confession line waiting for 10, 15, 20 minutes for one person to...
- JonPatrick: As a way of strengthen ing your faith I would also recommend “The Catholic Catechism: by Fr. John Hardon SJ. Don’ t be put off by the SJ at the end of his name, he is very...
- Augustine Thompson O.P.: I agree with Father. Sins are sins. They need to be confessed. And in confession that is it. I have often had penitents who have not been to confession in decades (as all...
- Nan: Have you brought that priest to Abp’ s attention?
- Grant M: I remember reading somewhere, possibly, on this very blog, an anecdote pertinent to this situation. Protestant to her Catholic friend: “I wish I could receive communion in your churc...
- JesusFreak84: jhayes touched on what I was thinking as I read this. IF there is a priest who experience s same-sex temptation s BUT resists them just as strongly as his heterosexu al brother...
- JesusFreak84: I can think of another time where an appointmen t might be best, even necessary: if the person is handicappe d in some way that requires accommodat ion. I’ve been in very few...
CLICK and say your daily offerings!
- Concerning innovations
- ASK FATHER: Deacons vesting in dalmatics for concelebrations
- ASK FATHER: How do we get the TLM where we are?
- Card. Arinze: If you want Communion, become a Catholic
- URGENT PRAYER – IRELAND
- ASK FATHER: When to make an appointment for confession
- ASK FATHER: Sorting out confusing, contradictory messages from priests
- Wherein Fr. Z assigns some worthwhile reading
- Met “Gay-la” and new movie. Coincidence? I think not.
- ASK FATHER: Forgetting sins during confession
- Day Of Prayer For The Church In China
- Pope Francis on homosexual seminarians: This bridge is closed!
- My View For Awhile: Urban Devastation Edition
- Does Pope Francis have a “long game” strategy?
- Interview about Honduran Card. Rodriguez Maradiaga
- Canadian Jesuit Archbp. Prendergast comments on crazy German bishops’ scheme
- Pope’s words about God making someone “gay”
- Some cool stuff, old and new, in Rome and Detroit
- @Card_R_Sarah terrific sermon for Pentecost and pilgrimage
- A Bishop calls on his brother Bishops to celebrate the Traditional Pontifical Mass, TLM
- “I originally sent you this story 8 years ago, for the brick by brick file…” UPDATE
- “Where there is no temple there shall be no homes.”
- Pastor Iuventus on the appalling Met “Gay-la”
- Chilling – probably correct – explanation of mass school shootings
- A Pentecost Monday lesson: “And Paul VI wept.”
- WDTPRS – Pentecost Sunday: that strong stable edge
- Your Sunday Sermon Notes
- BACK IN PRINT! The Heresy of Formlessness
- My View For Awhile: Creston Edition
- “I used to think hosts found on floors was Traditional Catholic hyperbole…”
Let us pray…
Grant unto thy Church, we beseech Thee, O merciful God, that She, being gathered together by the Holy Ghost, may be in no wise troubled by attack from her foes. O God, who by sin art offended and by penance pacified, mercifully regard the prayers of Thy people making supplication unto Thee,and turn away the scourges of Thine anger which we deserve for our sins. Almighty and Everlasting God, in whose Hand are the power and the government of every realm: look down upon and help the Christian people that the heathen nations who trust in the fierceness of their own might may be crushed by the power of thine Arm. Through our Lord Jesus Christ, Thy Son, who liveth and reigneth with Thee in the unity of the Holy Ghost, God, world without end. R. Amen.
My "challenge coin" for my 25th anniversary of ordination in 2016.
Want one? I do exchanges with military and LEOs, etc. and you can make a donation.
Coat of Arms by D Burkart
I travel a good deal. As I get older, it takes more of a toll. My main airline - sigh - is Delta. Were I to get some Gift Cards for Delta, I could more easily upgrade for longer flights. I'm just sayin'. I'd be much obliged. HERE
New miscellaneous releases and events
Yes, Fr. Z is taking ads…
A great hymnal…
Because it matters what children read…
I carry one of these super-strong rosaries in my spare mag pouch! The Swiss Guards have them too!
Because you don’t know when you are going to need to move fast or get along without the supermarket…
PLEASE RESPOND. Pretty pleeeease?Loading ...
WDTPRS POLLLoading ...
Fr. Z’s stuff is everywhere
Help support Fr. Z’s Gospel of Life work at no cost to you. Do you need a Real Estate Agent? Calling these people is the FIRST thing you should do!
GREAT causes to support
Help Monks in Wyoming (coffee – UPDATED LINK) and Norcia (beer) and the wonderful "Soap Sisters" of Summit, NJ!
Please follow me on Twitter!
If you travel internationally, this is a super useful gizmo for your mobile internet data. I use one. If you get one through my link, I get data rewards.
A book by an old friend…