CDF issues declaration on canonical status of “so-called Greek-Catholic bishops of Pidhirci”
Given below is the text of a declaration issued today by the Congregation for the Doctrine of the Faith concerning the canonical status of the “so-called Greek-Catholic bishops of Pidhirci”: Fr. Elias A. Dohnal O.S.B.M., Fr. Markian V. Hitiuk O.S.B.M., Fr. Metodej R. Spirik O.S.B.M., and Fr. Robert Oberhauser. The text is dated 22 February and bears the signatures of Cardinal William Joseph Levada and Archbishop Luis Francisco Ladaria Ferrer S.J., respectively prefect and secretary of the Congregation for the Doctrine of the Faith.
(1) The Holy See has followed with great concern the activities of Fr. Elias A. Dohnal O.S.B.M., Fr. Markian V. Hitiuk O.S.B.M., Fr. Metodej R. Spirik O.S.B.M., and Fr. Robert Oberhauser who, having been expelled from the Basilian Order of St. Josaphat, subsequently proclaimed themselves as bishops of the Greek-Catholic Ukrainian Church. With their disobedience, these priests continue to challenge ecclesiastical authority, causing moral and spiritual damage, not only to the Basilian Order of St. Josaphat and the Greek-Catholic Ukrainian Church, but also to this Apostolic See and the Catholic Church as a whole. All this provokes division and bewilderment among the faithful. The aforementioned priests, having established a group of “bishops” of Pidhirci, have recently sought to have that group recognised and registered by the competent State authorities as the “Ukrainian Orthodox Greek-Catholic Church”.
(2) Since the beginning of this painful episode, Church representatives of various ranks have sought to dissuade them from continuing a conduct which, among other things, could deceive the faithful, as has already happened in a number of cases.
(3) The Holy See, concerned to protect the unity and peace of Christ’s flock, had hoped in the repentance and subsequent return of the aforementioned priests to full communion with the Catholic Church. Unfortunately the most recent developments – such as the unsuccessful attempt to acquire State registration for the “Pidhirci” group under the name of the “Ukrainian Orthodox Greek-Catholic Church” – demonstrates their continuing disobedience.
(4) Therefore, to safeguard the common good of the Church and the “salus animarum”, and given that the so-called “bishops” of Pidhirci show no sign of repentance but continue to create confusion and disarray in the community of faithful, in particular by calumniating representatives of the Holy See and of the local Church, and asserting that the supreme authority of the Church is in possession of documentation testifying to the full validity of their episcopal ordination, the Congregation for the Doctrine of the Faith, accepting the request presented by the ecclesiastical authorities of the Greek-Catholic Ukrainian Church, and by other dicasteries of the Holy See, has decided, by this declaration, to inform the faithful, especially in the countries of origin of the so-called “bishops”, about their current canonical status.
(5) This Congregation, disassociating itself entirely from the actions of the so-called “bishops” aforementioned, and from their aforesaid declarations, formally declares that it does not recognise the validity of their episcopal ordinations, or of any and all ordinations that have derived, or will derive therefrom. Moreover, the canonical status of the four so-called “bishops” is that of excommunication, pursuant to canon 1459 para. 1 of the Code of Canons of the Eastern Churches (CCEO), in view of the fact that an appeal sentence of the ordinary tribunal of the Major Archiepiscopal Ukrainian Church, issued on 10 September 2008, recognised them as guilty of offences under canons 1462, 1447 and 1452 of the CCEO; i.e., the offences of illegitimate usurpation of office, inciting sedition and hatred towards certain hierarchs, provoking subjects to disobedience, and harming a third party’s good name by calumny.
(6) Furthermore, the use of the name “Catholic” by groups which are not recognised by the competent ecclesiastical authority is to be considered as illegitimate, pursuant to canon 19 of the CCEO.
(7) The faithful are, then, enjoined not to adhere to the aforementioned group as, to all canonical effects, it is outside ecclesiastical communion. The faithful are invited to pray for the members of the group, that they may repent and return to full communion with the Catholic Church. (VIS)
Search Fr. Z’s Blog
Shopping online through Amazon?
Please, come here first! Enter Amazon through my search box and I will get a small percentage of what you spend. (Pssst - Can't see the search box? Turn off your "ad-blocker" for this site!)
PS: I added Amazon Search Boxes for the UK and for Canada at the bottom of the blog page. Copy and paste titles I mention into those boxes and - BAZINGA! - results appear as if by magic. Kindle? HERE
Reading and gift ideas!
- You keep this blog, and me, going. I pray for benefactors.
There is a subscription form at the bottom of this page!
Aedificantium enim unusquisque gladio erat accinctus.
- Nehemiah 4:18
"In those situations where homosexual unions have been legally recognized or have been given the legal status and rights belonging to marriage, clear and emphatic opposition is a duty. ... If all Catholics are obliged to oppose the legal recognition of homosexual unions, Catholic politicians are obliged to do so in a particular way, in keeping with their responsibility as politicians." CDF 2003
Our sacred worship deserves the best we can offer!
Ham Radio Stuff
Fr. Z - W9FRZ - OFF
QRV on: 00m 00000
Check Echolink WB0YLE-R - OFF
- PTK_70 said From the Douay-Rheims… And Peter taking him,...
- arcanum_divinae said We could do with more science being done by people...
- Allan S. said As someone who also stocks up…after shopping...
- Jonathan82 said My comment may sound flippant but I do intend it s...
- Hoover said I imagine nuns can’t do too many useful thin...
- Mike said At the moment my household is in possession of Epi...
- Elizabeth D said Should people have scruples about blessing themsel...
- Legisperitus said In discussions like this I find it appropriate to...
- acardnal said I just asked my parish priest, a member of Jesus C...
- Mary Jane said Microphones…ugh. Myself, my husband, and thr...
- Fr. John Zuhlsdorf said RichR says: Libs freak out when I post on that, an...
- Semper Gumby said Traductora: Good point.
- Augustine said Francis reminds me of Fra Angelico’s fresco...
- RichR said Oops, I meant GUM-line. Freudian slip. How’s...
- RichR said DENTIST TO THE RESCUE!! As a fellow tooth-guy I c...
- Suburbanbanshee said Elizabeth D: Yes and no. A sacramental is not magi...
- edm said By the way, dear ones, according to their website,...
- Bosco said St. Paul disputed with St. Peter in Antioch vigoro...
- robtbrown said Clinton R, Which encyclical contradicted Scripture...
- Elizabeth D said I also like the traditional blessing for Holy Wate...
- doreilly said It’s not how big the choir is. It is how you...
- Dutchman said I pause this morning to pray for those who have as...
- Clinton R. said I agree with the sentiments expressed by Traductor...
- APX said 23 years of LGBT Ministry at Xavier With great jo...
- APX said Our pastor has forbidden our priest (FSSP) from ma...
- Ave Crux said P.S. I am not by any stretch proposing that Pope F...
- Ave Crux said Father, thank you for “accompanying” u...
- Grumpy Beggar said I love this post and the comments. Thank you to ev...
- Filipino Catholic said Is it too late to wait for a “Pius IX moment...
- PostCatholic said I will keep the prescription in mind if I should e...
"One of the few things in life you can be absolutely sure about is that, if Management tells you it doesn't like your Tone, you are getting something right."
"Latin is a precise, essential language. It will be abandoned, not because it is unsuitable for the new requirements of progress, but because the new men will not be suitable for it. When the age of demagogues and charlatans begins, a language like Latin will no longer be useful, and any oaf will be able to give a speech in public and talk in such a way that he will not be kicked off the stage. The secret to this will consist in the fact that, by making use of words that are general, elusive, and sound good, he will be able to speak for an hour without saying anything. With Latin, this is impossible."
- - Giovanni Guareschi
Support them with prayer and fasting.
CLICK and say your Daily Offering!
"We as Catholics have not properly combated (the culture) because we have not been taught our Catholic Faith, especially in the depth needed to address these grave evils of our time. This is a failure of catechesis both of children and young people that has been going on for fifty years. It is being addressed, but it needs much more radical attention... What has also contributed greatly to the situation is an exaltation of the virtue of tolerance which is falsely seen as the virtue which governs all other virtues. In other words, we should tolerate other people in their immoral actions to the extent that we seem also to accept the moral wrong. Tolerance is a virtue, but it is certainly not the principal virtue; the principal virtue is charity... Charity means speaking the truth. I have encountered it (not speaking the truth) many times myself as a priest and bishop. It is something we simply need to address. There is far too much silence — people do not want to talk about it because the topic is not 'politically correct.' But we cannot be silent any longer."
Raymond Card. Burke
The Catholic Church is the exponent of Reality. It is true. Its doctrines in matters large and small are statements of what is. . . .My conclusion – and that of all men who have ever once seen it – is the faith. Corporate, organized, a personality, teaching. A thing, not a theory. It.”
Hilaire Belloc to G.K. Chesterton
"In assessing Our duty and the situation now prevailing, We have been weighed upon by the thought that a matter of this kind [i.e. error in respect of the Faith] is so grave and so dangerous that the Roman Pontiff, who is the representative upon earth of God and our God and Lord Jesus Christ, who holds the fullness of power over peoples and kingdoms, who may judge all and be judged by none in this world, may nonetheless be contradicted if he be found to have deviated from the Faith.
Cum ex Apostolatus Officio (On Error in Respect of the Faith) Apostolic Constitution of Pope Paul IV, 15 Feb 1559 (Roman Bullarium IV, I, 354-357)
Help the Sisters. They have a building project. Get great soap (gifts, etc.) while helping REAL nuns!
Help Monks in Wyoming, Fr. Z, and get great coffee too!
Some current reading…
Must read for priests, seminarians, anyone interested in beauty in our sacred liturgical worship of God... Signs of the Holy One: Liturgy, Ritual, and Expression of the Sacred by Uwe Michael Lang [UK link HERE]
God or Nothing: A Conversation on Faith by Robert Card. Sarah
Buy it. Get one for your parish priests. UK HERE
Leave Voice Mail for Fr. Z
Let us pray…
Grant unto thy Church, we beseech Thee, O merciful God, that She, being gathered together by the Holy Ghost, may be in no wise troubled by attack from her foes. O God, who by sin art offended and by penance pacified, mercifully regard the prayers of Thy people making supplication unto Thee,and turn away the scourges of Thine anger which we deserve for our sins. Almighty and Everlasting God, in whose Hand are the power and the government of every realm: look down upon and help the Christian people that the heathen nations who trust in the fierceness of their own might may be crushed by the power of thine Arm. Through our Lord Jesus Christ, Thy Son, who liveth and reigneth with Thee in the unity of the Holy Ghost, God, world without end. R. Amen.
Check out the Cardinal Newman Society feed!
Yes, Fr. Z is taking ads…... and there will be nearly 1,000,000 page loads this month.
A great hymnal…
Find a Quality Realtor. Support the Gospel of Life!
If you, or someone you know, needs to buy or sell a house, office, or any kind of domestic or commercial property anywhere in the world, call Real Estate For Life on 1-877-LIFE-US1. They connect you with an expert agent with a proven track-record from a local franchised broker or strong independent. When the sale is completed, the agent gives a portion of their fee to Real Estate For Life as a referral fee. Real Estate For Life gives 80% of that fee to one of the pro-life organizations they work with: a house with a value of $150,000 means $1000 goes to the pro-life organization. It doesn't cost you anything.
And for your cybersecurity…
Wyoming Catholic College!
Mystic Monk Coffee also has TEA!
Because it matters what children read…
I carry one of these super-strong rosaries in my spare mag pouch!
New Gregorian Chant CD by the Benedictines of Norcia!
Because you don’t know when you are going to need to move fast or get along without the supermarket…
My wish lists
Food For Thought
“The legalization of the termination of pregnancy is none other than the authorization given to an adult, with the approval of an established law, to take the lives of children yet unborn and thus incapable of defending themselves. It is difficult to imagine a more unjust situation, and it is very difficult to speak of obsession in a matter such as this, where we are dealing with a fundamental imperative of every good conscience — the defense of the right to life of an innocent and defenseless human being.”
- St. John Paul II
A bit more food for thought…
“Only one sin is nowadays severely punished: the attentive observance of the traditions of our Fathers. For that reason the good ones are thrown out of their places and brought to the desert.”
- Basil of Caesarea - ep. 243
PLEASE RESPOND. Pretty pleeeease?Loading ...
WDTPRS POLLLoading ...
A morsel for thought…
"If your work is strong enough for someone to hate you, it's strong enough for someone to love you. The middle is what you should fear."
- Sean McCabe @seanwes
- Nuns mapped stars for the Vatican
- St. Paul, MN – St. Agnes Church: Month Mind for Mother Angelica with Mozart, Mass in Latin
- NEW MUSIC CD from the Benedictines of Mary! – UPDATE – AUDIO SAMPLES
- Of weasles, egg salad, broken teeth, blessed salt, and YOU
- “Even if the Pope were Satan incarnate, we ought not to raise up our heads against him” – St. Catherine of Siena
- German theologian Robert Spaemann on #AmorisLaetitia: Chaos and schism, God forbid!
- NYC EXILE – DAY 6 (FINAL): Misc. and a horrifying church visit
- Donations, PayPal, alternatives, and you
- 28 April – St. Gianna Molla’s 2nd miracle: Prepared to be amazed! With Fr. Z’s 10 Points.
- Latin figures in property dispute between nuns and Katy Perry
- Happy Birthday Universe!
- PODCAzT 145: Athanasius Schneider on ‘Amoria laetitia’
- My View For Awhile: Chinese Food Edition
- Bp. Schneider: Communion for divorced and remarried – the ‘homoousios’ of our days
- Nigerian Bishop speaks about Boko Haram
- For Francis, the Church’s doctrine is subordinated to the primary value of mercy
- NYC EXILE – DAY 5: Lions and Hot Dogs and Mass!
- ASK FATHER: Dressing for weekday Masses
- “Dare to do as much as you are able.” Wherein Fr. Z rants.
- “All members of the Church… have the duty to ask for an authentic interpretation.”
- NYC EXILE – DAY 4: Of Sung Mass and Sunshine
- Your Sunday Sermon Notes
- “To label a priest “non-judgmental” is damning.” He is incapable of thinking clearly, affirms people in moral errors
- The Hermeneutic of Ambiguity
- NYC EXILE – DAY 3: Of Solemn Mass and Spanish Rice
- Pope Francis heard confessions in St. Peter’s Square
- A canonist looks at Amoris laetitia
- NYC EXILE – DAY 2: Of Octopus and Opera
- Fr. Z’s thoughts on Michael Voris’ public statement
- WDTPRS – 4th Sunday after Easter (1962MR): The smoke of Satan
For your consideration…
"One of the most dangerous errors is that civilization is automatically bound to increase and spread. The lesson of history is the opposite; civilization is a rarity, attained with difficulty and easily lost. The normal state of humanity is barbarism, just as the normal surface of the planet is salt water. Land looms large in our imagination and civilization in history books, only because sea and savagery are to us less interesting."
- C.S. Lewis
More food for thought:
“I expect to die in bed, my successor will die in prison and his successor will die a martyr in the public square. His successor will pick up the shards of a ruined society and slowly help rebuild civilization, as the church has done so often in human history.”
Francis Card. George
Fr. Z’s stuff is everywhere
More food for thought…
"All laws which are repugnant to the Constitution are null and void."
- Marbury v. Madison, 5 U.S. 137, 176
Please follow me on Twitter!
- "It will never be known what acts of cowardice have been committed for fear of not looking sufficiently progressive."
Charles Pierre Péguy Notre Patrie, 1905"If I ought to write the truth, I am of the mind that I ought to flee all meetings of bishops, because I have never seen any happy or satisfactory outcome to any council, nor one that has deterred evils more than it has occasioned their acceptance and growth."
St. Gregory Nazianzus ep. 131 - AD 382“We will conquer your Rome, break your crosses, and enslave your women. If we do not reach that time, then our children and grandchildren will reach it, and they will sell your sons as slaves at the slave market.”
Even More Food For Thought
"Men by their constitutions are naturally divided into two parties: 1. Those who fear and distrust the people, and wish to draw all powers from them into the hands of the higher classes. 2. Those who identify themselves with the people, have confidence in them, cherish and consider them as the most honest and safe, although not the most wise depositary of the public interests."
- Thomas Jefferson to Henry Lee, 1824. ME 16:73