Search Fr. Z’s Blog
SHOPPING ONLINE? Please, always come here first!Enter Amazon through my link, the image below (they took away our search box!), and I will get a small percentage of what you spend. (Pssst - Can't see it? Turn off your "ad-blocker" for this site!)
Here's a generic "catholic" search start point for Amazon:
And you do need a Kindle! - HERE
“This blog is like a fusion of the Baroque ‘salon’ with its well-tuned harpsichord around which polite society gathered for entertainment and edification and, on the other hand, a Wild West “saloon” with its out-of-tune piano and swinging doors, where everyone has a gun and something to say. Nevertheless, we try to point our discussions back to what it is to be Catholic in this increasingly difficult age, to love God, and how to get to heaven.” – Fr. Z
YOUR RECENT COMMENTS
- L.: I thought the L.A. cathedral was called the “Taj Mahoney. 8221;
- Michael Haz: Well, as a last-ditch defense, Raymond Arroyo could change his name to a Chinese name, and then be full accomodate d in all matters.
- aquinasadmirer: Tempura has special meaning at our house, as my wife is Japanese. Each Feb 6 (St. Paul Miki) we have Japanese food, and always include tempura. It’s a very concrete way to...
- Eric: The whole interdict, retweeted, is hyperbole. Even the author, hopefully, but surely Spadaro, knows it is not in the cards. But, it is probably a shot across the bow intended to have a...
- hmschoolmom: I wouldnR 17;t say pretty much impossible . Look what just happened on Relevant Radio. They bought Immaculate Heart and then quickly “sil enced̶ 1; certain voices.
- wmeyer: And yet, no interdict called for on the Fishwrap. [And yet… not for the Fishwrap.]
- semperficatholic: “Pap al confidante Father Antonio Spadaro retweeted a call for EWTN to be severely censured “until they get rid of Raymond Arroyo.” 8221; And Judas left many offspring!
- cpt-tom: This does not surprise me at all. The Holy Father has proven to be very authoritar ian, behold his treatment of Traditiona l religious orders like the Franciscan Friars of the Immaculate ,...
- Knight from 13904: I totally agree with your comment about the beauty of our older more traditiona l churches. There is an excellent book on this topic called “Ugl y As Sin” . As far as...
- teomatteo: “Whe n it is time to raise money, do the fundraiser s publish literature with whitewashe d walls, bizarre interiors, and spaces that remind you of a parking ramp? SURE they do!...
- Gabriel Syme: Nothing says “Catholic” like a beige wall with a clump of weeds in a vase and cliches like PEACE on a rainbow made by 5th graders. Indeed! In my locality, a common favourite is a...
- cpdog: Hollywood does this not only for churches but for Catholic religious garb as well. Nuns in movies (shock) are dressed like nuns! Why? Because that’ ;s what people expect nuns to look...
- Benedict Joseph: Yesterday Rorate Caeli posted an article which clearly articulate d “wha t sells̶ 1; without saying much at all. It is something to ponder — and even to weep over....
- OldProfK: Reading aloud is a great suggestion too. I read Black Beauty, Treasure Island, and The Hobbit to my sons as bedtime stories. Took a while. :-)
- Gabriel Syme: Several people make good comments. I think: – hold public masses, but do not distribute communion – use the time saved by no communion to have benedictio n after mass...
- Imrahil: Dear David, in this case the Cardinal was too pessimisti c. Being in the state of grace is no strange exception, but the normal state of affairs for a Catholic Christian outside problem...
- Mariana2: LOL. I trust that chagrin d’AL won’ t dure toute la vie.
- Absit invidia: The only real tangible paradigm shift is the explosion of traditiona l latin masses across the US. Meanwhile Francis 217; real tangible results are the shuttering and demolit...
- Kennedy: Back in the late 80’s or early 90’s , I attended a talk by Hans Kung. He introduced the theory of paradigms, which he said he had learned from Thomas Kuhn, claiming that it...
- JabbaPapa: For those with a good enough French, there̵ 7;s a good set of definition s of the word HERE : http://www .cnrtl.fr/ definition /paradigme (uncharact eristicall y, the OED definit...
- Mariana2: Thanks, Father!
- MacCheese: We are fortunate to have a very good Catholic k-8 school near to us. Our children go there and love it. It’s not perfect, e.g. much to our annoyance some of the texts are Common Core but...
- jilly4life: I am not a boy, and my own boys are too young for a lot of this. But for younger boys I would suggest My Side of the Mountain by Jean Craighead George, Maniac Magee by Jerry Spine...
- Suburbanbanshee: The SAT test of today is a lot easier than the old ones, although poorly asked questions do introduce a degree of difficulty . But any SAT should be easy it you read a lot, know...
- bookworm: The discussion of print vs electronic books is of particular interest to me. A couple of years ago my husband and I discovered self-publi shing and we started a mini business (Monroe St....
CLICK and say your daily offering!
- More news from the New catholic Red Guard
- Making the Church appealing. What “sells”?
- LENTCAzT 2018 08 – Wednesday in the 1st Week of Lent: Never ending combat
- 20 Feb – Feast of Sts Francisco and Jacinta of Fatima
- Of “paradigm shift” interest
- Spain: young people dancing a jota in reparation for blasphemy against the Blessed Virgin
- Mega-Masses and too many Hosts
- The State v. Self-Reliance
- LENTCAzT 2018 07 – Tuesday in the 1st Week of Lent: subtle temptation
- Attacks on the family
- My View For Awhile: Capital Edition
- Books for boys. Suggested titles and an additional point.
- LENTCAzT 2018 06 – Monday in the 1st Week of Lent: “I warned you!”
- Wherein Fr Longenecker schools @JamesMartinSJ
- Your Sunday Sermon Notes
- WDTPRS 1st Sunday of Lent (N.O.): The Lenten “Sacrament”
- LENTCAzT 2018 05 – 1st Sunday of Lent: Anger and Reason
- Commandments are NOT mere “ideals” from which some are excused because, “They’re tooo haaard!” Wherein Fr. Z rants.
- JUST TOO COOL – Cops, ashes, and podcasts
- VIDEO Fr. Murray and Prof. Royal on some tough issues
- LENTCAzT 2018 04 – Ash Saturday: Getting ready for… it.
- Pontifical Requiem Mass for a great lover of the Church’s sacred liturgy
- LENTCAzT 2018 03 – Ash Friday: Grant me a little more time
- Role of #MSM in mass shootings: If it bleeds, it leads. Angry @fatherz asks fearful questions
- Wherein Fr. Z rants in the wake of the Florida school mass murder
- Friday after Ash Wednesday: Feast of the Crown of Thorns
- LENTCAzT 2018 02 – Ash Thursday: What you are I was, what I am you shall be.
- Your #AshWednesday Sermon Notes #ashtag – AUDIO Fr Z
- Ash Wednesday, Fasting, Abstaining, and You – with notes on alligator, endothermic moonfish, and muskrat
- LENTCAzT 2018 01: Ash Wednesday – Unto dust thou shalt return.
Let us pray…
Grant unto thy Church, we beseech Thee, O merciful God, that She, being gathered together by the Holy Ghost, may be in no wise troubled by attack from her foes. O God, who by sin art offended and by penance pacified, mercifully regard the prayers of Thy people making supplication unto Thee,and turn away the scourges of Thine anger which we deserve for our sins. Almighty and Everlasting God, in whose Hand are the power and the government of every realm: look down upon and help the Christian people that the heathen nations who trust in the fierceness of their own might may be crushed by the power of thine Arm. Through our Lord Jesus Christ, Thy Son, who liveth and reigneth with Thee in the unity of the Holy Ghost, God, world without end. R. Amen.
New miscellaneous releases and events
Yes, Fr. Z is taking ads…
A great hymnal…
Because it matters what children read…
I carry one of these super-strong rosaries in my spare mag pouch! The Swiss Guards have them too!
Because you don’t know when you are going to need to move fast or get along without the supermarket…
PLEASE RESPOND. Pretty pleeeease?Loading ...
WDTPRS POLLLoading ...
Fr. Z’s stuff is everywhere
Help support Fr. Z’s Gospel of Life work at no cost to you. Do you need a Real Estate Agent? Calling these people is the FIRST thing you should do!
GREAT causes to support
Help Monks in Wyoming (coffee – UPDATED LINK) and Norcia (beer) and the wonderful "Soap Sisters" of Summit, NJ!
Please follow me on Twitter!
If you travel internationally, this is a super useful gizmo for your mobile internet data. I use one. If you get one through my link, I get data rewards.
A book by an old friend…
Tag Archives: abortion
Canonist Ed Peters has picked up on something Fr. Longenecker has done. I’ll add my voice.
From Peters’ excelleny canon law blog In The Light Of The Law.
About those Bloody 14 [allow me slightly to change the format, for effect]
Collins … Continue reading
Archd. Kansas City breaks with Girl Scouts, tied to Big Business Abortion provider Planned Parenthood, etc.
I was alerted to a statement (HERE) from His Excellency Most Reverend Joseph Naumann that the Archdiocese of Kansas City (Kansas) is instructing parishes to cut their ties with the Girl Scouts because of their support of Big Business Abortion – Planned … Continue reading
A couple of cheerful items crossed my screen on Monday.
First, Pres. Trump reinstated the “Mexico City Policy”, which bars international NGOs that perform or promote abortions from receiving US government funds (i.e., taxpayer dollars). My only regret is that it … Continue reading
At CNN we find a story about how Pope Francis extended to priests indefinitely the ability to absolve the sin of abortion. He had hitherto given it only for the Year of Mercy, which is now closed.
(CNN)Pope Francis has extended … Continue reading
This is an interesting bit of news that touches on many point of interest as we rocket to Election Day.
From an editorial in the Albuquerque Journal.
Editorial: Archbishop reacts to priest’s abortion letter
By Albuquerque Journal Editorial Board
Wednesday, November 2nd, 2016 at … Continue reading
Fr. Z’s Blog likes Bp. Paprocki of Springfield in the sad state of Illinois. You might recall that he did an exorcism of the whole state after the abomination of same-sex “marriage” was approved there.
Bp. Paprocki talks about moral issues … Continue reading
I saw this Tweet and a story about this Tweet at LifeSite.
Senator @timkaine: Do us both a favor. Don’t show up in my communion line. I take Canon 915 seriously. It’d be embarrassing for you & for me
— Fr. Thomas … Continue reading
Justice Clarence Thomas dissented today.
In his dissent to the SCOTUS majority opinion in WHOLE WOMAN’S HEALTH v. HELLERSTEDT Thomas wrote about the false principles they are using, and have been using.
Here are a few excerpts from his 16 page dissent:
Ultimately, … Continue reading
When you are tempted to think that Notre Dame University can’t sink any lower…
From Adam Wilson of the Cardinal Newman Society (check their feed on my right side bar) to my email:
This is outrageous, and I wanted to make sure … Continue reading
Pro-life activist Jill Stanek’s house was vandalized by pro-abortion cowards. The story is HERE. One of them threw a brick through her window with the note: “Quit the pro-life bulls**t.”
It’s in a Target sack. I’ll take Irony for $1000, Alex.
Stanek’s reaction? … Continue reading
A couple of really sad women… horrific world views… tragic consequences.
First, Nancy “The Theologian” Pelosi at CNS:
(CNSNews.com) – House Minority Leader Nancy Pelosi (D-Calif.) criticized Republican attempts to defund Planned Parenthood and repeal the Affordable Care Act in the House’s … Continue reading
UPDATE 15 Oct:
I received this from a trustworthy priest:
I saw your post on the Mar del Plata cathedral assault. Quite frightening demonstration and disappointing response from the rector.
However, the whole event may be more complicated than it seems from the … Continue reading
For the Year of Mercy the Holy Father has given to all priests the faculty to absolve from the censure that is incurred by the crime (not just sin) of successfully procuring an abortion. This has created a bit of … Continue reading
The distinguished canonist (and commentator here) Ed Peters has a useful post at his fine blog In The Light Of The Law about the distinction of the sin of abortion and the crime of abortion and the sanction/censure that can be incurred … Continue reading
Just a reminder of what you all know.
The other day she said that the baby parts videos were disturbing. She now repeats that she supports Planned Parenthood, big business abortion, founded by Margaret Sanger to get rid of undesirable people.
Today … Continue reading
Remember… Planned Parenthood was initiated to get rid of undesirables.
Everyone… take a moment to go to Crisis and read Fr. George Rutler’s new offering. HERE
Christ cannot be psychoanalyzed because he is perfect. It would be like seeking flaws in pure … Continue reading
Fathers and seminarians, pay attention!
From a reader…
The Pope is sending out special priests who can absolve abortion. Does this mean that priests are giving absolution for something they cannot? Is the absolution then invalid? What does that mean for reception of sacraments until … Continue reading
Nancy “the Theologian” Pelosi… words fail!
Nancy Pelosi: Gay ‘marriage’ is ‘consistent’ with Catholic teaching
WASHINGTON, D.C., June 2, 2015 (LifeSiteNews.com) — House Minority Leader Rep. Nancy Pelosi, D-CA, says that same-sex “marriage” is perfectly “consistent” with Catholic Christianity.
Pelosi brought her … Continue reading
I really like this Wisconsin sheriff.
Black Sheriff Says if Black Lives Mattered They’d Protest at Abortion Clinics
CNN’s Poppy Harlow interviewed Milwaukee Sheriff David Clarke about the recent protests that some in the Black Community have sparked after the police … Continue reading