Search Fr. Z’s Blog
SHOPPING ONLINE? Please, always come here first!
Enter Amazon through my link. Use the search bar below. Fr Z will get a small percentage of what you spend.
Here's Fr. Z's "catholic" search for Amazon: US HERE - UK HERE And you do need a Kindle! - HERE
“This blog is like a fusion of the Baroque ‘salon’ with its well-tuned harpsichord around which polite society gathered for entertainment and edification and, on the other hand, a Wild West “saloon” with its out-of-tune piano and swinging doors, where everyone has a gun and something to say. Nevertheless, we try to point our discussions back to what it is to be Catholic in this increasingly difficult age, to love God, and how to get to heaven.” – Fr. Z
Coat of Arms by D Burkart
YOUR RECENT COMMENTS
- Gab: First time I heard of these people was when they were going to place a hex on President Trump to prevent him from being elected. The next time I heard about them , thanks to the media fierc...
- excalibur: Wiccans/wi tches have been casting spells against President Trump. We need Catholic priests to counter this, by offering Masses for President Trump and his family, by going to the public...
- jaykay: https://ww w.amazon.c o.uk/Holy- Veil-Manop pello-Huma n-Face/dp/ 1622826485 /ref=mp_s_ a_1_1?ie=U TF8&qi d=15449277 94&sr= 8-1&pi =AC_SX236_ SY340_QL65 &keywo rds=pau...
- Fr. John Zuhlsdorf: HINT TO ALL: If you decide to go over the edge and to tell people that they are possessed (in so many words) in this combox, I will probably delete your comments. Sapienti pauca.
- DMorgan: Thank you Father.
- APX: But the families of suicides need compassion , not fire and brimstone. Indeed. Yes, objectivel y speaking, committing suicide is a grave sin, but that doesn’t automatica lly mean it’s a mortal...
- Atra Dicenda, Rubra Agenda: If the priest who says my funeral doesn̵ 7;t mention how grevious of a sinner I was or mention purgatory or my need for prayers and Masses offered for me or the 4...
- thomas tucker: Sorry, the days of pray, pay and obey are over. Priests don’t get to do whatever they want with regard to the laity any more. [Not a terribly thought-fi lled contributi on to this...
- Sword40: My wife and I have had several long discussion s with our 7 grown children. We are elderly so we decided to plan our funerals so that there are NO arguments after we pass. All the kids,...
- Nan: @ Deacon Nicholas. You’ re insulting my Church. Here were A) a favorite priest and B) my Bishop and you don’ t think it’s advisable to go to both liturgies in one day? Both...
- Fr Martin Fox: I will not comment on how the priest, family or diocese handled this, because of the paucity of informatio n I have. So I will keep my yap shut about those matters. I have been...
- Father Flores: It may be the priest was concerned about any youth that may have attended confusing hopeful and uplifting as tacitly approving the young man’ s actions. Youth who would not...
- Man-o-words: Yeah, I have seen this one all day. I keep thinking that this story absolutely captures the sad state of Catholicis m today, or more accurately , humanism under the name of Catholi...
- tho: Perhaps the priest might have been a little heavy handed. But suicide is a contradict ion of God, who created us with eternal souls, and it is blasphemou s for us subvert his mandate. The Lord...
- Roble: I have been tempted to suicide on several occasions. At such times the thought of damning myself definitive ly was all that prevented me. At the root of contemplet ing suicide is a person&...
- roma247: First of all, I was under the impression that once upon a time, suicides were not allowed to be buried in hallowed ground or to have a funeral Mass. I guess that is one of the things that...
- Benedict Joseph: There is no awareness of the tragic reality of personal sin and its relation to mental disorder, let alone of ontologica l reality of original sin and its existentia l impact on...
- Sawyer: Although it is true that nothing in the ChurchR 17;s Canon Law nor liturgical norms suggests treating a funeral as a “cel ebration of life,̶ 1; there is this in Sing to the...
- fishonthehill: I figured I would read about this on your blog. Yes Father Z you are correct, “fun erals are delicate and suicides even more so”; and I do not know what in fact the...
- Julia_Augusta: I am confused. I thought people who committed suicide don’t get a Catholic burial. Has it changed? [Yes, according to the circumstan ces.]
- Lurker 59: People gravitate towards a good narrative. The narrative of one’ s family, one’ s culture, one’ s religion, binds people into social structures and it becomes a part of...
- chantgirl: All Herods eventually meet death, and have to answer for their crimes. More and more I am convinced that St. JosephR 17; intercessi on needs to be sought more incessantl y for the...
- iPadre: The wink emoji posted as a ?
- iPadre: He’s headed to a Liturgy conference . ?
- Anita Moore, O.P.(lay): At least a guitar won’t have to get up and climb over you to go to the bathroom every 20 minutes.
CLICK and say your daily offerings!
- ADVENTCAzT 2018 15: Joyful Longing, Longing Joy
- UPDATE: Sending snail-mail 2018 Christmas cards
- Priest preaches at funeral, world falls on his head
- My View For Awhile: Limping Homeward
- Newly born religious groups, strangled in their cradles
- ADVENTCAzT 2018 14: LIBERALS!
- WDTPRS – Gaudete Sunday: “good news” of the chaff’s destiny in “unquenchable fire”
- Fast growth in Paganism, Wicca (the joke that is no joke)
- VIDEO: The new church of Gower Abbey (and the Extraordinary Ordinary)
- ADVENTCAzT 2018 13: The Dirty Bucket
- Priests and bishops who are probably going to Hell
- End of year 2018 charitable giving and YOU. A suggestion.
- ADVENTCAzT 2018 12: Patience
- Holy Face of Manoppello, Sankt Gallen, “designer babies”
- Card. Müller’s interview about Church and theology in Germany
- ADVENTCAzT 2018 11: Hark! a gladsome voice is thrilling
- TERRIFIC! School Choir accomplished, back to back, Solemn Roman and Eastern liturgy!
- NYC Day 1: Of Borscht and Buttons
- “If only women were in leadership positions…”
- Anglicans to mock baptism with transgender ceremony
- ADVENTCAzT 2018 10: If a liturgy looks silly, you can close your eyes. But if it sounds silly…
- A priest’s thought after going ‘ad orientem’
- Priests and Latin. Wherein Fr. Z rants.
- My View For Awhile: ”Festina Lente” Edition
- ADVENTCAzT 2018 09: Proper Marian Devotion
- Your Sunday Sermon Notes
- Of getting Latin wrong, corrections, and of priests and their Latin or lack thereof
- ADVENTCAzT 2018 08: Egocentrics and God’s gifts
- A conflicted Fishwrap v. Francis on homosexuals in seminary and priesthood
- On this day in 2005 …
Let us pray…
Grant unto thy Church, we beseech Thee, O merciful God, that She, being gathered together by the Holy Ghost, may be in no wise troubled by attack from her foes. O God, who by sin art offended and by penance pacified, mercifully regard the prayers of Thy people making supplication unto Thee,and turn away the scourges of Thine anger which we deserve for our sins. Almighty and Everlasting God, in whose Hand are the power and the government of every realm: look down upon and help the Christian people that the heathen nations who trust in the fierceness of their own might may be crushed by the power of thine Arm. Through our Lord Jesus Christ, Thy Son, who liveth and reigneth with Thee in the unity of the Holy Ghost, God, world without end. R. Amen.
This blog has to earn its keep!
New miscellaneous releases and events
Yes, Fr. Z is taking ads…
A great hymnal…
Because it matters what children read…
I carry one of these super-strong rosaries in my spare mag pouch! The Swiss Guards have them too!
My "challenge coin" for my 25th anniversary of ordination in 2016.
Want one? I do exchanges with military and LEOs, etc. and you can make a donation.
Because you don’t know when you are going to need to move fast or get along without the supermarket…
PLEASE RESPOND. Pretty pleeeease?Loading ...
WDTPRS POLLLoading ...
Fr. Z’s stuff is everywhere
Help support Fr. Z’s Gospel of Life work at no cost to you. Do you need a Real Estate Agent? Calling these people is the FIRST thing you should do!
GREAT causes to support
Help Monks in Wyoming (coffee – UPDATED LINK) and Norcia (beer) and the wonderful "Soap Sisters" of Summit, NJ!
Please follow me on Twitter!
If you travel internationally, this is a super useful gizmo for your mobile internet data. I use one. If you get one through my link, I get data rewards.
Tag Archives: abortion
Take a look at this propaganda video from a pro-abortion group in NYC.
Listen to what the respective sides chant. Listen to the claims.
Think of how the Left and the Democrat Party of Death is calling for public action that is, … Continue reading
From a reader…
Dear Fr Z I read your Blog all the time. At the moment we have some horrendous legislation before our parliament, with voting to commence next week. The vote will be an attempt to remove all legal restrictions … Continue reading
ORIGINALLY Published on: May 25, 2018
All, please pray today for the Irish people.
UPDATE: 26 May
I suppose you’ve heard the news by now.
I was just reading a piece by Phil Lawler about the bishops in Chile. Ireland came up:
Pope Benedict XVI … Continue reading
IMPORTANT from @HeartbeatIntl – abortion pill reversal method rescues babies without bad effects, physicians network
This is VERY important.
The pro-life organization Heartbeat International has announced that they are now able to help women rapidly access a method to reverse – without bad effects – an in-process chemical abortion.
Imagine a woman who has taken the first … Continue reading
Canonist Ed Peters has picked up on something Fr. Longenecker has done. I’ll add my voice.
From Peters’ excelleny canon law blog In The Light Of The Law.
About those Bloody 14 [allow me slightly to change the format, for effect]
Collins … Continue reading
Archd. Kansas City breaks with Girl Scouts, tied to Big Business Abortion provider Planned Parenthood, etc.
I was alerted to a statement (HERE) from His Excellency Most Reverend Joseph Naumann that the Archdiocese of Kansas City (Kansas) is instructing parishes to cut their ties with the Girl Scouts because of their support of Big Business Abortion – Planned … Continue reading
A couple of cheerful items crossed my screen on Monday.
First, Pres. Trump reinstated the “Mexico City Policy”, which bars international NGOs that perform or promote abortions from receiving US government funds (i.e., taxpayer dollars). My only regret is that it … Continue reading
At CNN we find a story about how Pope Francis extended to priests indefinitely the ability to absolve the sin of abortion. He had hitherto given it only for the Year of Mercy, which is now closed.
(CNN)Pope Francis has extended … Continue reading
This is an interesting bit of news that touches on many point of interest as we rocket to Election Day.
From an editorial in the Albuquerque Journal.
Editorial: Archbishop reacts to priest’s abortion letter
By Albuquerque Journal Editorial Board
Wednesday, November 2nd, 2016 at … Continue reading
Fr. Z’s Blog likes Bp. Paprocki of Springfield in the sad state of Illinois. You might recall that he did an exorcism of the whole state after the abomination of same-sex “marriage” was approved there.
Bp. Paprocki talks about moral issues … Continue reading
I saw this Tweet and a story about this Tweet at LifeSite.
Senator @timkaine: Do us both a favor. Don’t show up in my communion line. I take Canon 915 seriously. It’d be embarrassing for you & for me
— Fr. Thomas … Continue reading
Justice Clarence Thomas dissented today.
In his dissent to the SCOTUS majority opinion in WHOLE WOMAN’S HEALTH v. HELLERSTEDT Thomas wrote about the false principles they are using, and have been using.
Here are a few excerpts from his 16 page dissent:
Ultimately, … Continue reading
When you are tempted to think that Notre Dame University can’t sink any lower…
From Adam Wilson of the Cardinal Newman Society (check their feed on my right side bar) to my email:
This is outrageous, and I wanted to make sure … Continue reading
Pro-life activist Jill Stanek’s house was vandalized by pro-abortion cowards. The story is HERE. One of them threw a brick through her window with the note: “Quit the pro-life bulls**t.”
It’s in a Target sack. I’ll take Irony for $1000, Alex.
Stanek’s reaction? … Continue reading