SHOPPING ONLINE? Please, come here first!
About this blog…
“This blog is like a fusion of the Baroque ‘salon’ with its well-tuned harpsichord around which polite society gathered for entertainment and edification and, on the other hand, a Wild West “saloon” with its out-of-tune piano and swinging doors, where everyone has a gun and something to say. Nevertheless, we try to point our discussions back to what it is to be Catholic in this increasingly difficult age, to love God, and how to get to heaven.” – Fr. Z
Coat of Arms by D Burkart
NEW OPPORTUNITY – 10% off with code: FATHERZ10
Wonderful about St. Joseph! “Terror of Demons”
Donate using VENMO
CLICK and say your daily offerings!
Do you want to show some appreciation?
Do you have a faithful Catholic website that needs competent and reliable tech support?
Fr. Z’s VOICEMAIL
Nota bene: I do not answer these numbers or this Skype address. You won't get me "live". I check for messages regularly.
020 8133 4535
YOUR RECENT COMMENTS
Books which you must have.
This REALLY helps! And it’s great coffee (and tea)
I use this when I travel both in these USA and abroad. Very useful. Fast enough for Zoom. I connect my DMR (ham radio) through it. If you use my link, they give me more data. A GREAT back up.
Don’t rely on popes, bishops and priests.
“He [Satan] will set up a counter-Church which will be the ape of the Church because, he the devil, is the ape of God. It will have all the notes and characteristics of the Church, but in reverse and emptied of its divine content. It will be a mystical body of the anti-Christ that will in all externals resemble the mystical body of Christ. In desperate need for God, whom he nevertheless refuses to adore, modern man in his loneliness and frustration will hunger more and more for membership in a community that will give him enlargement of purpose, but at the cost of losing himself in some vague collectivity.”
“Who is going to save our Church? Not our bishops, not our priests and religious. It is up to you, the people. You have the minds, the eyes, and the ears to save the Church. Your mission is to see that your priests act like priests, your bishops act like bishops.”
- Fulton Sheen
Therefore, ACTIVATE YOUR CONFIRMATION and get to work!
Send Snail Mail to Fr. Z
- “The modern habit of doing ceremonial things unceremoniously is no proof of humility; rather it proves the offender's inability to forget himself in the rite, and his readiness to spoil for every one else the proper pleasure of ritual.”
- C.S. Lewis
This blog has to earn its keep!
PLEASE subscribe via PayPal if it is useful.
That way I have steady income I can plan on, and you wind up regularly on my list of benefactors for whom I pray and for whom I periodically say Holy Mass.
In view of the rapidly changing challenges I now face, I would like to add more $10/month subscribers. Will you please help?
For a one time donation...
As for Latin…
"But if, in any layman who is indeed imbued with literature, ignorance of the Latin language, which we can truly call the 'catholic' language, indicates a certain sluggishness in his love toward the Church, how much more fitting it is that each and every cleric should be adequately practiced and skilled in that language!" - Pius XI
"Let us realize that this remark of Cicero (Brutus 37, 140) can be in a certain way referred to [young lay people]: 'It is not so much a matter of distinction to know Latin as it is disgraceful not to know it.'" - St. John Paul II
- Cri de Coeur: “What next?” After which, Fr. Z rants.
- Daily Rome Shot 283
- BOOK ALERT: The Sabbatical by Michael D. O’Brien
- Archd. of Guadalajara – the ‘Traditionis custodes’ spiritual segregation continues
- Look at what is happening in the Church and in these USA. A visual image.
- ACTION ITEM! Help 13 and 11 year olds raise money for a pregnancy center. – UPDATE
- Francis’ dialogue with Jesuits in Bratislava about the Vetus Ordo, homosexuality, people who “wanted him dead”, a global Catholic TV channel doing the “work of the devil”
- Daily Rome Shot 282
- Vatican City State now demands COVID-1984 “Green Pass” or you can’t enter. Meanwhile, in Canada….
- Daily Rome Shot 281
- Your Sunday Sermon Notes: 17th Sunday after Pentecost (25th Ordinary – N.O.)
- CQ CQ CQ: Ham Radio – #ZedNet reminder – 19 September ’21
- Daily Rome Shot 280
- ASK FATHER: Purchased a former Masonic Temple…. now what?
- Fishwrap posts about a profound spiritual experience, probably demonic, but profound
- More hijinx in Saint Peter’s Basilica
- Rome Shot 279
- 17 September 1621 – St. Robert Bellarmine – Doctor and Pot Scrubber of the Church – 400th anniversary of his death
- Benedict XVI breaks silence: intro to new volume in an anthology series – includes thoughts on “same-sex unions”
- Can Ecumenical Councils ever be failures?
- Rome Shot 278
- ¡Hagan lío! Wonderful wine from traditional Benedictine monks!
- ASK FATHER: Is it sinful to make or use fake papers, vaccine passports, or false documents?
- Rome Shot 277
- What news did my mail and chat bring me today?
- 15 September: Seven Sorrows of Mary – The “Our Lady of Sorrows Project”
- Hurricane paths mapped from 1985 to 2005. Wherein Fr. Z rants about life-saving stuff.
- WDTPRS- Exaltation of the Cross and Basil Emeritus
- Rome Shot 276
- FOLLOW UP to “Of Leo XIII, Caruso, and Chess”
Let us pray…
Grant unto thy Church, we beseech Thee, O merciful God, that She, being gathered together by the Holy Ghost, may be in no wise troubled by attack from her foes. O God, who by sin art offended and by penance pacified, mercifully regard the prayers of Thy people making supplication unto Thee,and turn away the scourges of Thine anger which we deserve for our sins. Almighty and Everlasting God, in whose Hand are the power and the government of every realm: look down upon and help the Christian people that the heathen nations who trust in the fierceness of their own might may be crushed by the power of thine Arm. Through our Lord Jesus Christ, Thy Son, who liveth and reigneth with Thee in the unity of the Holy Ghost, God, world without end. R. Amen.
Yes, Fr. Z is taking ads…
Be a “Zed-Head”!
My "challenge coin" for my 25th anniversary of ordination in 2016.
Want one? I do exchanges with military and LEOs, etc.
PLEASE RESPOND. Pretty pleeeease?Loading ...
This is really useful when travelling… and also when you aren’t and you need backup internet NOW! I use this for my DMR “Zednet” hotspot when I’m mobile. It’s a ham radio thing.
If you travel internationally, this is a super useful gizmo for your mobile internet data. I use one. If you get one through my link, I get data rewards.
Please use my links when shopping! I depend on your help.
WDTPRS POLLLoading ...
Fr. Z’s stuff is everywhere
Help support Fr. Z’s Gospel of Life work at no cost to you. Do you need a Real Estate Agent? Calling these people is the FIRST thing you should do!
GREAT causes to support
Daily Archives: 17 September 2010
Damian Thompson offers some analysis. I found it reassuring that many of his points are in harmony with some of my thoughts. Here is some of with my E&C: How odd that it should be the Guardian that grasped the … Read More
I watched the live feed of the Holy Father’s visit today pretty closely. But Vincenzo of Sancte Pater – the official WDTPRS photoshopper – caught a screenshot I missed.
Benedict XVI at Westminster Hall to civil authorities Benedict XVI’s address to Anglican Archbp. Williams at Lambeth Benedict XVI’s address for Vespers in Westminster Abbey The phrase that comes to mind is "Nixon goes to China". Day 2 Benedict’s trip … Read More
… I am indulging in barley water as I watch and write notes. I discovered Barley Water through the hospitality of Fr. Chris Basden at St. Bede’s in Clapham Park. In the rectory kitchen it taunted me from the counter … Read More
From the Laudator: Edward Dowden, In September, from his Poems (London: Henry S. King & Co., 1876), p. 160: Spring scarce had greener fields to show than these Of mid September; through the still warm noon The rivulets ripple … Read More
At Vespers, Archbp. Williams said inter alia: “St Gregory was the first to spell out … the magnitude of the gift given to Christ’s Church through the life of St Benedict … who, through a relatively brief Rule of life, … Read More
This is a speech I have really been waiting for. Remember, this is a state visit. This is where the point is made. In a sense, this brings some closure to the gulf which opened since the time of Henry … Read More
The Holy Father paid a courtesy visit to Anglican Archbp. Rowan Williams at Lambeth Palace. My comments at the end. First, I must say that Archbp. Williams gave a good address which I am starting to drill into. But he … Read More
There was a beautiful Mass in Philadelphia for the Feast of the Exaltation of the Cross. The Mass was at at St. Paul’s Church. The celebrant was the Pastor of St. Paul’s Church, Fr. Gerald Patrick Carey; the deacon was … Read More