A prayer for a miracle: the sudden, complete and lasting obliteration of COVID-19
Search Fr. Z’s Blog
SHOPPING ONLINE? Please, come here first!
Your use of my Amazon link is a major part of my income. It helps to pay for insurance, groceries, everything. Please remember me when shopping online. Thanks in advance.
Try AmazonFresh Free Trial
Shop Amazon Gold Box - New Deals. Everyday
Shop Amazon Gift Cards - Instant Delivery or Free One-Day Shipping
Try Prime Discounted Monthly Offering
And you do need a Kindle! - HERE
Kindle Unlimited Membership Plans
About this blog…
“This blog is like a fusion of the Baroque ‘salon’ with its well-tuned harpsichord around which polite society gathered for entertainment and edification and, on the other hand, a Wild West “saloon” with its out-of-tune piano and swinging doors, where everyone has a gun and something to say. Nevertheless, we try to point our discussions back to what it is to be Catholic in this increasingly difficult age, to love God, and how to get to heaven.” – Fr. Z
Coat of Arms by D Burkart
CLICK and say your daily offerings!
Do you want to show some appreciation?
Do you have a faithful Catholic website that needs competent and reliable tech support?
YOUR RECENT COMMENTS
- mysticalrose: I sure wish it was still 2008. It seems like a simpler and more hopeful time these days.
- grateful: I watched the mass from Rome via EWTN. The Pope gave a beautiful sermon, stressing not to be pessimisti c, narcissist ic, and not to give up hope.
- CasaSanBruno: I knew a possessed woman who was receiving help from her diocesan exorcist. She had just been baptized and, as is the case with many of the possessed who suffer such horrible afflic...
- Diana: wonderful! ! thank you! I so miss singing at Mass. Can’ t wait to get back!
- anotherphilothea: Attended a beautiful diocesan EF High Mass. The priest talked, among other things, about the spirit of rage afflicting our country, and how we are called as followers of Christ to...
- Mario Bird: Re: ars celebrandi and its knock-on effect on us laity — I came across this great passage from Belloc yesterday, 95 Pentecosts ago: “I would advance it to be true that the...
- JabbaPapa: I prayed to God to transmit any benefit of my Eucharisti c Communion to those unable to attend the Holy Eucharisti c Mass and unable to take Communion, as I have been doing systema...
- JabbaPapa: Oh !! The Bishop was in Blue for the Feast day ; the other priests, Rose for one, light Red the other 3.
- JabbaPapa: We had our new Bishop presiding at Mass today, for the Feast of Saint Mary, Mother of the Church — and our Parish yearly party. He seems like a good priest first and foremost, and...
- Sandy: Excellent rant, Father, meaningful ! I might add that my daily prayer time begins with the Armor of Christ. The first items are the “hel met of salvation& #8221; and the mind of...
- Kathleen10: We have not been back to the diocesan Latin Rite Mass since this all started. I envy people whose love for God in the Blessed Sacrament is so strong they have suffered waiting for it...
- iPadre: The Holy Ghost unites us by calling us together to worship in “spi rit and truth.R 21; From this flows unity our unity. When you go to church, it is first to offer sacrifice and...
- iPadre: I’ve been doing them in Latin for years. Started memorizing them when I went off to learn the Classical Roman Mass (EF).
- Dcn PB: Yes, I have these hanging in the sacristy where I am assigned and have since committed them to memory. I pray these every time I vest: While he washes his hands: Give virtue, O Lord, to my...
- Jeffery_Davis: Attended Mass in person, ordinary form. Father offered a brief reflection on each of the seven gifts of the Holy Spirit.
- Suburbanbanshee: I’ve been running into some interestin g material on the old Temple, and the discussion pointed out that the ancient Jewish colors of priestly vestments were the same colors...
- JonPatrick: For the first time since the first Sunday in Lent my wife and I were able to attend Mass, at St. Mary Broadway in Providence RI (FSSP) 8 AM low mass along with 50 or so other souls who...
- Ferretti: No Father, I haven̵ 7;t been to daily Mass, or Confession in 79 days tomorrow. My last weekly Confession , Mass and Communion was discouragi ng. I’d asked (the elderly priest,...
- GregB: One drone ship landing video that was complete was the Starlink-3 mission on January 29th of this year. SpaceX has used reused boosters for launching its Starlink satellite constellat ion....
- matt from az: Reading Lad, I asked this very question a couple weeks ago. The other readers were kind enough to point me to a shop in Britain that has the vesting prayers for deacons. http://...
- B: I forgot to add the question 8230; do acolytes also say vesting prayer when putting on an alb and cinture?
- B: I think I read somewhere once that installed acolytes can wear an amice under their alb in order to cover their shirt collar. Is this true/prope r?
- Kathleen10: Fr. Z. It is really and truly always edifying to listen to you. Tonight I’m feeling the stress of launching right from Covid-nigh tmare into domestic terrorism nightmare. Thank...
- Andrew Saucci: “Clo thes, they say, make the man.” ; That is something that no one understand s today in our sloppy, casual, let-it-all -hang-out culture. It’s a maxim that would...
- chantgirl: “Mod ernist Moo Moos” ;. LOL, sounds like a good band name. Seriously, though, this was the most difficult Lent for me, as far as diligence and fervor in prayer. The family...
Fr. Z’s VOICEMAIL
Nota bene: I do not answer these numbers or this Skype address. You won't get me "live". I check for messages regularly.
020 8133 4535
Don’t rely on popes, bishops and priests.
“Who is going to save our Church? Not our bishops, not our priests and religious. It is up to you, the people. You have the minds, the eyes, and the ears to save the Church. Your mission is to see that your priests act like priests, your bishops act like bishops.”
- Fulton Sheen
Therefore, ACTIVATE YOUR CONFIRMATION and get to work!
Send Snail Mail to Fr. Z
“The modern habit of doing ceremonial things unceremoniously is no proof of humility; rather it proves the offender's inability to forget himself in the rite, and his readiness to spoil for every one else the proper pleasure of ritual.”
- C.S. Lewis
This blog has to earn its keep!
PLEASE subscribe if it is useful.
That way I have steady income I can plan on, and you wind up regularly on my list of benefactors for whom I pray and for whom I periodically say Holy Mass.
For a one time donation...
I set up a
CONTINUE TO GIVE
account, which functions rather like PayPal. Some of you use it. Here is a QCode you can use with your smart phones. Try it!
Also, to receive a link to donate via Continue To Give using your smart phone SEND MESSAGE:
4827563 TO: 715-803-4772 (USA)
Some donations also come through CHASE. That works well. I don't think they take any percentage as fees.
I was at this conference last year. I’ll probably go this year! That’s how enjoyable it was. I’ve marked my calendar.
As for Latin…
"But if, in any layman who is indeed imbued with literature, ignorance of the Latin language, which we can truly call the 'catholic' language, indicates a certain sluggishness in his love toward the Church, how much more fitting it is that each and every cleric should be adequately practiced and skilled in that language!" - Pius XI
"Let us realize that this remark of Cicero (Brutus 37, 140) can be in a certain way referred to [young lay people]: 'It is not so much a matter of distinction to know Latin as it is disgraceful not to know it.'" - St. John Paul II
- 2 June – HOLY MASS (TLM) Tuesday of Pentecost Octave – LIVE VIDEO: 1200h CDT (GMT/UTC -5)
- Octave of Pentecost PODCAzTs
- Good podcast about Gregorian Chant in a parish setting
- 1 June – HOLY MASS (TLM) Monday of Pentecost Octave – LIVE VIDEO: 1200h CDT (GMT/UTC -5)
- Your Sunday Pentecost 2020 Sermon Notes – VIDEO
- The priest’s traditional Vesting Prayers – Wherein Fr. Z rants
- #LaunchAmerica SUCCESS!
- 30 May – St. Joan of Arc, Virgin: Martyrology, Movies, and Marvelous reading
- WDTPRS – Vigil of Pentecost (1962MR): Activate your Confirmation!
- 30 May – HOLY MASS (TLM) Vigil of Pentecost (St. Joan of Arc) – LIVE VIDEO: 1200h CDT (GMT/UTC -5)
- The ULTIMATE SOLUTION for COMMUNION in time of CORONAVIRUS
- PRIESTS: Are you available to take a “Gregorian Mass” intention? UPDATE
- WISCONSIN: Churches specifically targeted with restrictions as other buildings open. ACTION ITEM!
- 29 May – HOLY MASS (TLM) St. Mary Magdalene de’ Pazzi – LIVE VIDEO: 1200h CDT (GMT/UTC -5)
- A little perspective, please? “Imagine you were born in 1900….”
- A priest learns the Traditional Latin Mass during COVID-1984
- New layers of stupid emerge during COVID-1984: violation of anonymity of penitents seeking Confession
- 28 May – HOLY MASS (TLM) St. Augustine of Canterbury – LIVE VIDEO: 1200h CDT (GMT/UTC -5)
- UPDATE: The movie ‘Apocalypto’ – Now online!
- New arrivals and Fr. Z’s Kitchen
- Spectacular B as in B, S as in S
- VIDEO: Today NASA with SpaceX will, God willing, launch men into space, from these USA!! #LaunchAmerica @FatherZ wistfully muses
- 27 May – HOLY MASS (TLM) Venerable Bede – LIVE VIDEO: 1200h CDT (GMT/UTC -5)
- Approval of miracles will lead to canonization and beatification. A surprise and a request from @FatherZ
- 26 May 1991: Ordination
- 26 May – HOLY MASS (TLM) St. Philip Neri & Anniv. of Ordination – LIVE VIDEO: 1200h CDT (GMT/UTC -5)
- ASK FATHER: Mass at a side altar during Exposition of the Blessed Sacrament? And a short rant.
- 25 May – HOLY MASS (TLM) St. Gregory VII – LIVE VIDEO: 1200h CDT (GMT/UTC -5)
- How stupid are things getting in this time of Coronavirus, you ask?
- Fr. Z’s Kitchen: The Contraption
Let us pray…
Grant unto thy Church, we beseech Thee, O merciful God, that She, being gathered together by the Holy Ghost, may be in no wise troubled by attack from her foes. O God, who by sin art offended and by penance pacified, mercifully regard the prayers of Thy people making supplication unto Thee,and turn away the scourges of Thine anger which we deserve for our sins. Almighty and Everlasting God, in whose Hand are the power and the government of every realm: look down upon and help the Christian people that the heathen nations who trust in the fierceness of their own might may be crushed by the power of thine Arm. Through our Lord Jesus Christ, Thy Son, who liveth and reigneth with Thee in the unity of the Holy Ghost, God, world without end. R. Amen.
Yes, Fr. Z is taking ads…
Because it matters what children read…
Be a “Zed-Head”!
I carry one of these super-strong rosaries in my spare mag pouch! The Swiss Guards have them too!
My "challenge coin" for my 25th anniversary of ordination in 2016.
Want one? I do exchanges with military and LEOs, etc. and you can make a donation.
PLEASE RESPOND. Pretty pleeeease?Loading ...
Please use my links when shopping! I depend on your help.
WDTPRS POLLLoading ...
“Rigid”? Pfffft. “Faithful!” No priest’s desk or kitchen is complete without one, for young, old, and priests in general.
Fr. Z’s stuff is everywhere
Help support Fr. Z’s Gospel of Life work at no cost to you. Do you need a Real Estate Agent? Calling these people is the FIRST thing you should do!
GREAT causes to support
Help Monks in Wyoming (coffee – UPDATED LINK) and Norcia (beer) and the wonderful "Soap Sisters" of Summit, NJ!
Please follow me on Twitter!
If you travel internationally, this is a super useful gizmo for your mobile internet data. I use one. If you get one through my link, I get data rewards.
Monthly Archives: October 2014
Someone sent me this for an anti-birthday gift. I think he was trying to shorten my life. He failed, however. I believe laughter is supposed to lengthen life. You simply have to grit your teeth and get into the part … Continue reading
UPDATE: Tomorrow, Wed 29 October, I’ll be saying Mass in the crypt at Santa Cecilia in Trastevere. Perhaps if there are a few people in Rome who would like to attend with our pilgrimage group, you’d be welcome. FWIW. ____ … Continue reading
In Rome we have been seeing members of the Schoenstaat movement all over the place, as they gather for centenary celebrations. Pope Francis addressed them and had some things to say about the state of the family today. From EWTN/CNA: … Continue reading
From a reader… The Canadian Bishops’ official Ordo clearly calls for the Gloria and the Creed on Sunday November 2. (Along with a note warning that the Sunday celebration shouldn’t be too penitential because it’s the Resurrection.) But the Missal … Continue reading
At Badger Catholic I saw something that helps to explain Burke Derangement Syndrome, or BDS. You surely have seen dramatic, fainting couch worthy, episodes of BDS over at NSR (National Schismatic Reporter… to use just one possible “s” word, aka … Continue reading
From Business Insider with lots of extremely cool images: The Vatican Library was founded in 1451 by Nicholas V. It holds some 180,000 manuscripts, 1.6 million books and 150,000 images and engravings. Last year, non-profit organization Digita Vaticana Oculus was founded with … Continue reading
At L’Espresso I saw this, in Italian: Pope Francis forbids Lefevbrite priests from saying Mass The follows of the ultra traditionalist French bishop, already excommunicated, are now in Bergoglio’s crosshairs. Through one of his most faithful men he has forbidden … Continue reading
We had Mass this morning, with the pilgrims, a votive Mass of the Holy Trinity, at Ss Trinità dei Pelegrini, which seemed fitting. Then we found our bus for Orvieto! My View For Awhile: UPDATE Samples. I’ve been here quite … Continue reading
Last summer during Acton University I had the chance to get to talk at length with Russ Douthat of Hell’s Bible (aka The New York Times… echo chamber of record for the liberal snob elite). Douthat is a voice of … Continue reading
In Rome, where I am right now, we set our clocks back now, 25/26 October. Therefore, I get an extra hour of sleep which I am obviously not having, because I am posting this. This “fall back” change isn’t such … Continue reading
I saw this at the Free Thought Project: Parking Meter Activists Under Fire After Saving Drivers $80,000 in Fines Stepping in between the State and their revenue stream can be quite hazardous. Activists in Keene, New Hampshire have adopted a … Continue reading
During the Mass last night at Ss. Trinità and today at San Pietro, a little bit of Benedict XVI’s message was read to the pilgrims. The message was more or less complete depending on the language of translation. However, no … Continue reading