Search Fr. Z’s Blog
SHOPPING ONLINE? Please, come here first!
Your use of my Amazon link is a major part of my income. It helps to pay for insurance, groceries, everything. Please remember me when shopping online. Thanks in advance.
Try AmazonFresh Free Trial
Shop Amazon Gold Box - New Deals. Everyday
Shop Amazon Gift Cards - Instant Delivery or Free One-Day Shipping
Try Prime Discounted Monthly Offering
And you do need a Kindle! - HERE
Kindle Unlimited Membership Plans
About this blog…
“This blog is like a fusion of the Baroque ‘salon’ with its well-tuned harpsichord around which polite society gathered for entertainment and edification and, on the other hand, a Wild West “saloon” with its out-of-tune piano and swinging doors, where everyone has a gun and something to say. Nevertheless, we try to point our discussions back to what it is to be Catholic in this increasingly difficult age, to love God, and how to get to heaven.” – Fr. Z
Coat of Arms by D Burkart
CLICK and say your daily offerings!
Do you want to show some appreciation?
YOUR RECENT COMMENTS
- gaudete: He did! Already over a week ago: https://pr ess.vatica n.va/conte nt/salasta mpa/en/bol lettino/pu bblico/202 0/03/20/20 0320c.html
- Tara Tremuit: Anita Moore, so well put, all of it. The quotation from Proverbs and the starvation rations analogy exactly describes it. And yes, the absolute contrast between the impotence of...
- kurtmasur: ”The reading of sacred scripture for at least half an hour from a text approved by the competent authority (#30),” I was just wondering what or who exactly is the “competent authori...
- Semper Gumby: Thank you Fr. Z. “Tru ly, this was the Son of God.” ; Mariana2: *chuckle* Good point. “Bro thers, what we do in life echoes in eternity.& #8221; – Maximus
- Anita Moore, O.P.(lay): Tara Tremuit says: What surprises me more than anything is how ecstatic people are that the Pope did this. We are so unaccustom ed to our heirarchs behaving as normal men of...
- Anita Moore, O.P.(lay): I wish the Pope would issue a decree like this and make it universal.
- Tara Tremuit: What surprises me more than anything is how ecstatic people are that the Pope did this. We are so unaccustom ed to our heirarchs behaving as normal men of faith that we fall all over...
- UncleBlobb: Father, Thank you for the fervorino!
- JPD: Opps; what is the distance for the uncle to hear a priests absolution ; not my absolution . Typo. [We cannot solve this for you at a distance. IF there is DANGER OF DEATH you need to contact...
- JPD: The uncle is on the third floor; so is that close enough to hear my absolution .
- JPD: Sorry putting this question here but desparate. Wife’ ;s uncle is very sick; needs a priest; priest is too sick and nursing home not letting anyone in; can a priest give absolut...
- robtbrown: Anytime I have ever had a new Rosary blessed by a non Dominican, the priest simply made the sign of the cross over it. Then told me to put holy water on it. Was that a constituti ve...
- Bryan D. Boyle: Echolink (which was running under an Allstar node (https://w ww.allstar link.org/) ) is on a controller which cratered. It will be a while to get it back and healthy 230;ri...
- rhurd: Fr. Z. I remember in theology we would often watch the Pope’ ;s Angelus (St. Pope John Paul II) on the RAI. We would be sitting for the Pope’ ;s introducto ry remarks and the...
- rtrainque: During normal times, I’ll typically be able to assist at the TLM 6 days a week. On the remaining day, or when traveling or when Fr. is on retreat or something I’ll read...
- DeGaulle: Re post above, the mention of ‘age profile 217; should, of course, refer to priests, not ‘bis hops’ ;. Please excuse my carelessne ss.
- DeGaulle: I attempted confession in my local cathedral here in Ireland, only to find a notice on the door that confession s had been cancelled. I had checked the internet and the latest pronoun...
- monmir: Thank you for the live Mass Father, important to me as you read the prayer for times of epidemics. …and I still miss the bird feeder cam. [So do I.]
- Augustine Thompson O.P.: Oddy, papal blessings may be received by television . [Yes, but papal blessings are invocative , not constituti ve. Furthermor e, people can gain the plenary indulge...
- Clinton R.: It a very short amount of time, we have been deprived of assisting as Mass, receiving the Sacraments and Sacramenta ls. We cannot even go to Church to pray, the doors are locked. Some...
- Baritone: Thank you for the live-strea med Mass. I actually had tears in my eyes. We have become exceeding poor.
- JPaulZ: Thank you also for the fervorino.
- Chrysologos: Many thanks, Father, for the fervorino; much appreciate d.
- JPaulZ: Thank you and God bless you.
- Tara Tremuit: jnxt7707: Pharaoh was an instrument . Aaron was an instrument . Moses was an instrument , King David was an instrument . The Pharisees were instrument s. Paul VI was an instrument ....
Fr. Z’s VOICEMAIL
Nota bene: I do not answer these numbers or this Skype address. You won't get me "live". I check for messages regularly.
020 8133 4535
Don’t rely on popes, bishops and priests.
“Who is going to save our Church? Not our bishops, not our priests and religious. It is up to you, the people. You have the minds, the eyes, and the ears to save the Church. Your mission is to see that your priests act like priests, your bishops act like bishops.”
- Fulton Sheen
Therefore, ACTIVATE YOUR CONFIRMATION and get to work!
Send Snail Mail to Fr. Z
“The modern habit of doing ceremonial things unceremoniously is no proof of humility; rather it proves the offender's inability to forget himself in the rite, and his readiness to spoil for every one else the proper pleasure of ritual.”
- C.S. Lewis
This blog has to earn its keep!
PLEASE subscribe if it is useful.
That way I have steady income I can plan on, and you wind up regularly on my list of benefactors for whom I pray and for whom I periodically say Holy Mass.
For a one time donation...
I set up a
CONTINUE TO GIVE
account, which functions rather like PayPal. Some of you use it. Here is a QCode you can use with your smart phones. Try it!
Also, to receive a link to donate via Continue To Give using your smart phone SEND MESSAGE:
4827563 TO: 715-803-4772 (USA)
Some donations also come through CHASE. That works well. I don't think they take any percentage as fees.
I was at this conference last year. I’ll probably go this year! That’s how enjoyable it was. I’ve marked my calendar.
As for Latin…
"But if, in any layman who is indeed imbued with literature, ignorance of the Latin language, which we can truly call the 'catholic' language, indicates a certain sluggishness in his love toward the Church, how much more fitting it is that each and every cleric should be adequately practiced and skilled in that language!" - Pius XI
"Let us realize that this remark of Cicero (Brutus 37, 140) can be in a certain way referred to [young lay people]: 'It is not so much a matter of distinction to know Latin as it is disgraceful not to know it.'" - St. John Paul II
- LENTCAzT 2020: 33 – 5th Sunday of Lent – 1st Passion Sunday: Time to die
- @MadisonDiocese : Bp. Hying’s Decree altering conditions for gaining Plenary Indulgences
- ASK FATHER: Blessing sacramentals over a live stream on the internet
- 28 March – Holy Mass (TLM) Saturday 4th Week of Lent – LIVE VIDEO: 1200h CDT (GMT/UTC -5)
- LENTCAzT 2020: 31 – Saturday in the 4th Week of Lent: Reward for an act of charity.
- ASK FATHER: Best practices for following a Mass which is live-streamed on the internet or broadcast on TV
- Wherein a seriously annoyed Fr. Z rants – UPDATED
- ACTION ITEM! BISHOPS and PRIESTS – Exorcise and bless!
- Startling visuals from special “Urbi et Orbi” ceremony in Rome against the pandemic
- 27 March – Votive Mass “for the sick” – LIVE VIDEO: 1200h CDT (GMT/UTC -5)
- LENTCAzT 2020: 31 – Friday in the 4th Week of Lent: “The nature of our pride”
- 1st Space Force mission is a go
- LENTCAzT 2020: 30 – Thursday in the 4th Week of Lent: “I command you, get up!”
- Darmok and Jalad at Tanagra
- Fakebook blocking or deleting live-streamed Catholic Masses
- ROME: Famous 1522 Plague Procession Crucifix moved to St. Peter’s
- ASK FATHER: How to contact priests to serve their private Traditional Latin Masses
- YOUR URGENT PRAYER REQUESTS
- 25 March: Feast of The Good Thief, St. Dismas… who stole heaven
- 25 March – Annunciation – LIVE VIDEO: Mass at 1200h CDT (GMT/UTC -5)
- CDF DECREE: New PREFACES for the Extraordinary Form (TLM) liturgical calendar
- CDF DECREE: New SAINTS for the Extraordinary Form (TLM) liturgical calendar
- LENTCAzT 2020: 29 – Wednesday in the 4th Week of Lent & Annunciation: “She is the ‘people of God'”
- A great “wartime” Sunday Mass in my native place. Fr. Z kudos.
- Of bells and virus bell curves. Wherein Fr. Z rants.
- LENTCAzT 2020: 28 – Tuesday in the 4th Week of Lent: Conscience and making excuses for sins
- ASK FATHER: A priest wants to be able to celebrate Easter in the Extraordinary Form
- Francis: Coronavirus is nature’s “revenge”, “tantrum”, “cry” for help
- CQ CQ CQ: Ham Radio in Pandemic – ZedNet is ACTIVE!
- Supply chain, Truck Divers and YOU! Something you can do to help. ACTION ITEM!
Let us pray…
Grant unto thy Church, we beseech Thee, O merciful God, that She, being gathered together by the Holy Ghost, may be in no wise troubled by attack from her foes. O God, who by sin art offended and by penance pacified, mercifully regard the prayers of Thy people making supplication unto Thee,and turn away the scourges of Thine anger which we deserve for our sins. Almighty and Everlasting God, in whose Hand are the power and the government of every realm: look down upon and help the Christian people that the heathen nations who trust in the fierceness of their own might may be crushed by the power of thine Arm. Through our Lord Jesus Christ, Thy Son, who liveth and reigneth with Thee in the unity of the Holy Ghost, God, world without end. R. Amen.
Yes, Fr. Z is taking ads…
Because it matters what children read…
Be a “Zed-Head”!
I carry one of these super-strong rosaries in my spare mag pouch! The Swiss Guards have them too!
My "challenge coin" for my 25th anniversary of ordination in 2016.
Want one? I do exchanges with military and LEOs, etc. and you can make a donation.
PLEASE RESPOND. Pretty pleeeease?Loading ...
Please use my links when shopping! I depend on your help.
WDTPRS POLLLoading ...
“Rigid”? Pfffft. “Faithful!” No priest’s desk or kitchen is complete without one, for young, old, and priests in general.
Fr. Z’s stuff is everywhere
Help support Fr. Z’s Gospel of Life work at no cost to you. Do you need a Real Estate Agent? Calling these people is the FIRST thing you should do!
GREAT causes to support
Help Monks in Wyoming (coffee – UPDATED LINK) and Norcia (beer) and the wonderful "Soap Sisters" of Summit, NJ!
Please follow me on Twitter!
If you travel internationally, this is a super useful gizmo for your mobile internet data. I use one. If you get one through my link, I get data rewards.
Monthly Archives: August 2017
One of my perennial tropes is that generations of Catholics have been robbed. They have been cheated out of their patrimony. They have been defrauded of their inheritance. When the libs “reformed” the Church’s liturgical worship with little regard for … Continue reading
Some of my friends in our SMS exchanges will at times long for the big meteor to put us out of our misery. Today I read at Space.com that there is a big asteroid – hopefully not meteor – coming. A … Continue reading
More on the issue of vocations to the priesthood. Allow me, first, to say that the “crisis” of vocations was created and it’s perpetuation is also not only tolerated but, in some places, fostered. That said, it is probable that in most … Continue reading
There is to be an interesting liturgical conference in W. Peabody, Mass, in September. Priests and seminarians should pay particular attention. Culmen Et Fons 2017: On Liturgical Formation “Fons et culmen” concerns the famous phrase about the Eucharist being the “source and … Continue reading
I hope you realize that this is a subtle message never to attempt to delete my blog from your daily reading list.
UPDATE: I just saw reports that the lib Left had a meltdown over 1st Lady Melania Trump’s shoes when she was on her way to Houston. I can’t help but wonder about a connection between the Left’s obsessions and their … Continue reading
We celebrate liturgically the births of Our Lord (25 December), His Blessed Mother (8 September) and the prophet who was more than a prophet, the greatest man ever born of a woman (Matthew 11:9-11; Luke 7:28), St John the Baptist … Continue reading
I think that some day many more people will know about the life and work of the late French Archbp. Marcel Lefebvre. He, a Holy Ghost Father, was a great missionary in Africa whose influence is still strongly felt there. … Continue reading
From a reader: I (think) I have a tough question (“hagan lío”?): Can a man and a woman, who validly embraced the Sacrament of Marriage 10 years ago and who STILL WANT to carry on living as husband and wife … Continue reading
In the past I have posted about an organization called TEAM RUBICON. Team Rubicon is made up of present and former first responders, former military, doctors, experts in many fields as a fast response team which swoops in as fast as … Continue reading
A priest friend of mine in Houston sent the following about his parish: Dry so far. A nearby creek is close to overflowing, so that could be trouble. About 800 made it to Mass over the weekend, 10% of our … Continue reading
I have just tuned in for the first time in several days with any real attention to the news. I see that about an hour and a half ago as I write, N. Korea launched a missile over Japan. My … Continue reading
On this glorious feast of St. Augustine, allow me to repost an answer to a question I get fairly often and answer off the blog: QUAERITUR: What is the best translation of St. Augustine’s Confessions? It depends a little on who … Continue reading
From a reader… QUAERITUR: I have seen a tendency for people who have a duty to say the Office attempt to satisfy their obligation without mouthing the words with air passing through the lips. Has the liturgical law changed? I’m … Continue reading
From a reader… QUAERITUR: I read this over at Tradinews [in French… my trans]: When the Abbey of Fontgombault and the communities that were founded from it took up again the celebration of the traditional liturgy, they obtained permission from the … Continue reading