SHOPPING ONLINE? Please, come here first!
About this blog…
“This blog is like a fusion of the Baroque ‘salon’ with its well-tuned harpsichord around which polite society gathered for entertainment and edification and, on the other hand, a Wild West “saloon” with its out-of-tune piano and swinging doors, where everyone has a gun and something to say. Nevertheless, we try to point our discussions back to what it is to be Catholic in this increasingly difficult age, to love God, and how to get to heaven.” – Fr. Z
Coat of Arms by D Burkart
Wonderful about St. Joseph! “Terror of Demons”
- The most evident mark of God’s anger and the most terrible castigation He can inflict upon the world are manifested when He permits His people to fall into the hands of clerics who are priests more in name than in deed, priests who practice the cruelty of ravening wolves rather than the charity and affection of devoted shepherds.
St. John Eudes
Donate using VENMO
GREAT BEER from Traditional Benedictine Monks in Italy
CLICK and say your daily offerings!
Do you want to show some appreciation?
Do you have a faithful Catholic website that needs competent and reliable tech support?
NEW OPPORTUNITY – 10% off with code: FATHERZ10
Fr. Z’s VOICEMAIL
Nota bene: I do not answer these numbers or this Skype address. You won't get me "live". I check for messages regularly.
020 8133 4535
YOUR RECENT COMMENTS
Books which you must have.
This REALLY helps! And it’s great coffee (and tea)
I use this when I travel both in these USA and abroad. Very useful. Fast enough for Zoom. I connect my DMR (ham radio) through it. If you use my link, they give me more data. A GREAT back up.
Don’t rely on popes, bishops and priests.
“He [Satan] will set up a counter-Church which will be the ape of the Church because, he the devil, is the ape of God. It will have all the notes and characteristics of the Church, but in reverse and emptied of its divine content. It will be a mystical body of the anti-Christ that will in all externals resemble the mystical body of Christ. In desperate need for God, whom he nevertheless refuses to adore, modern man in his loneliness and frustration will hunger more and more for membership in a community that will give him enlargement of purpose, but at the cost of losing himself in some vague collectivity.”
“Who is going to save our Church? Not our bishops, not our priests and religious. It is up to you, the people. You have the minds, the eyes, and the ears to save the Church. Your mission is to see that your priests act like priests, your bishops act like bishops.”
- Fulton Sheen
Therefore, ACTIVATE YOUR CONFIRMATION and get to work!
Send Snail Mail to Fr. Z
- “The modern habit of doing ceremonial things unceremoniously is no proof of humility; rather it proves the offender's inability to forget himself in the rite, and his readiness to spoil for every one else the proper pleasure of ritual.”
- C.S. Lewis
This blog has to earn its keep!
PLEASE subscribe via PayPal if it is useful.
That way I have steady income I can plan on, and you wind up regularly on my list of benefactors for whom I pray and for whom I periodically say Holy Mass.
In view of the rapidly changing challenges I now face, I would like to add more $10/month subscribers. Will you please help?
For a one time donation...
As for Latin…
"But if, in any layman who is indeed imbued with literature, ignorance of the Latin language, which we can truly call the 'catholic' language, indicates a certain sluggishness in his love toward the Church, how much more fitting it is that each and every cleric should be adequately practiced and skilled in that language!" - Pius XI
"Let us realize that this remark of Cicero (Brutus 37, 140) can be in a certain way referred to [young lay people]: 'It is not so much a matter of distinction to know Latin as it is disgraceful not to know it.'" - St. John Paul II
- Look at even more of “Desiderio desideravi”
- Daily Rome Shot 496
- The power of the traditional liturgy to open people up to the Catholic Faith must never be underestimated.
- Just Too Cool: Salt and Pepper repurposed
- ASK FATHER: Devotions for months and days of the week
- “Gregorian Mass” match ups: available priests with people who have requests
- ACTION ITEM! URGENT PRAYER SUGGESTION! Archbp. Carroll’s “Prayer for Government”
- ASK FATHER: How can we help priests who are in “hot water” because they are traditional?
- Your Sunday Sermon Notes: 4th Sunday after Pentecost (N.O. 14th Sunday)
- African Zairian Rite celebrated in St. Peter’s Basilica – UPATED: Meanwhile, Down Under….
- WDTPRS – 4th Sunday after Pentecost: What is “devotion?
- ROME 22/06 – Day 32: My View For Awhile
- 1 July – Most Precious Blood and also the Feasts of St. Junipero Serra and St. Aaron, brother of Moses
- ROME 22/06 – Day 31: Someone saw the list… no… the Letter!
- Look at more of “Desiderio desideravi”
- You have seen the logo for the 2025 Jubilee? – UPDATED
- 29 June 1972. Paul VI says, “the smoke of Satan has entered the Church of God”
- Francis’ NEW “Desiderio desideravi” an Apostolic Letter “on the liturgical formation of the people of God” – an attempt to explain Traditionis custodes, to calm the storm
- Batten down the hatches!
- ASK FATHER: Are we obliged to avoid businesses which will pay for employees’ abortion?
- ROME 22/06 – Day 28: Guess the meat
- In your goodness, pray for falsely accused priests and canceled priests
- ROME 22/06 – Day 26: Indulgences and indulgences
- Your Sunday Sermon Notes: 3rd Sunday after Pentecost (N.O. 13th Sunday)
- ROME 22/06 – Day 25: Really day 26, but… hey!
- ROME 22/06 – Day 24: “talkin’ ’bout my g-g-generation”
- It’s as if the stars aligned on 24 June
- ROME 22/06 – Day 23: Resistance is futile
- On this Feast of the Sacred Heart, when SCOTUS overturned Roe, remember that “Abortion Pill” use will be pushed hard by the Left, and that there is a SAFE REVERSAL after the first pill. @HeartbeatIntl
- US SUPREME COURT issued Opinion on Dobbs v. Jackson – ROE and CASEY OVERTURNED
Let us pray…
Grant unto thy Church, we beseech Thee, O merciful God, that She, being gathered together by the Holy Ghost, may be in no wise troubled by attack from her foes. O God, who by sin art offended and by penance pacified, mercifully regard the prayers of Thy people making supplication unto Thee,and turn away the scourges of Thine anger which we deserve for our sins. Almighty and Everlasting God, in whose Hand are the power and the government of every realm: look down upon and help the Christian people that the heathen nations who trust in the fierceness of their own might may be crushed by the power of thine Arm. Through our Lord Jesus Christ, Thy Son, who liveth and reigneth with Thee in the unity of the Holy Ghost, God, world without end. R. Amen.
Yes, Fr. Z is taking ads…
Be a “Zed-Head”!
My "challenge coin" for my 25th anniversary of ordination in 2016.
Want one? I do exchanges with military and LEOs, etc.
PLEASE RESPOND. Pretty pleeeease?Loading ...
This is really useful when travelling… and also when you aren’t and you need backup internet NOW! I use this for my DMR “Zednet” hotspot when I’m mobile. It’s a ham radio thing.
If you travel internationally, this is a super useful gizmo for your mobile internet data. I use one. If you get one through my link, I get data rewards.
Please use my links when shopping! I depend on your help.
WDTPRS POLLLoading ...
Fr. Z’s stuff is everywhere
Help support Fr. Z’s Gospel of Life work at no cost to you. Do you need a Real Estate Agent? Calling these people is the FIRST thing you should do!
GREAT causes to support
Monthly Archives: March 2018
Last night Tucker Carlson had another segment on in his series about what’s going on with the situation of men in these USA. This is sobering stuff. We need a wide national dialogue about this. We need to talk about … Read More
From a reader… QUAERITUR: If a hospital patient that is able to confess still gets the sacrament of the sick does it just forgive venial sins or mortal ones too? First, let’s be clear about something. The sacrament of anointing … Read More
I was made aware of this by a reader. I happily endorse one idea one priest had while I entirely repudiate a bad old cliché from another. Castleton symbol of Lent: sand in holy water fonts Alas, the silly season … Read More
According to the Catholic Herald the author of The Dictator Pope (pre-order 23 April – US HERE – UK HERE – more HERE) has been suspended from the Order of Malta and has disassociated itself from the book, describing it as a “vile attack” on … Read More
How bad was the Three Days of Darkness (3DD) this year? It seems that the LA Religious Ed Conference hits new nadirs every year, and there is no end in sight. Couple the heterodoxy, the teachings offensives to pious ears, … Read More
UPDATE 21 March: The flag arrived! Here is the solemn unboxing. Some literature about the organization is included. As you can see it is large and vibrant! A close up, so you can see the fabrics. It is synthetic, of … Read More
shocking, absolutely shocking unhinged lunatic fringe unhelpful admixture of bias and ignorance binary simplicity of his theological analysis a 7-year-old’s paint-by-numbers drawing with the collection of the Louvre (followed by, incredibly, “I do not exaggerate”.) Coarse and hoary! myopic unsourced … Read More
At the National Catholic Register there is an interview with the head of Juventutem, Bertalan Kiss, about young people, the Extraordinary Form of the Roman Rite and how progressive they and it are. He spoke with Ed Pentin in Rome during … Read More
Lettergate has produced a casualty… another casualty, the first being the Truth. Or did it? The Prefect of the Secretariate for Communications, Msgr. Dario Viganò – who so botched the the handling of the pro-Francis booklet roll out by unscrupulously slicing … Read More
I read at Sandro Magister’s page that there is going to be a conference in Rome on “Chiesa cattolica, dove vai?”… “Catholic Church, Where Are You Going?” This conference responds to the growing impression that the Church seems to be … Read More
UPDATE 20 March: There is now a site Pray For Cantius: https://www.prayforcantius.com/ The intent is to start a round the clock Rosary for Fr Phillips and St. John Cantius. There is a signup form for additional activities such as fasting, … Read More
So this morning my phone goes “ding”. “What fresh hell is this!?”, quoth I, reaching. Indeed, it was “fresh hell”! At Messa in Latino a wag has posted a bit of Dantesque parody about an adulterous soul in Hell. A soul has … Read More
UPDATE 20 March: Link to the transcript of the oral arguments for the good guys. HERE ___ Originally Published on: Mar 19, 2018 Can the government force Christian pro-life centers to advertise taxpayer-funded abortions? California says they can. That’s the essential question … Read More
Originally Published on: Mar 20, 2017 Today is [was, last year in 2017] the transferred Feast of St. Joseph. Yesterday, a Sunday in Lent, “outweighed” the feast. St. Joseph has many titles in his beautiful litany. We will sing them tonight … Read More
Off I go into the sunrise… sort of. Back to the northern chill after a good visit with my mother. UPDATE The trip continueth after a hiatus in the lounge in ATL. It is by now nearly an inexorable cosmic … Read More
Some people were clued in a long time ago, but were asked to keep it under wraps. Now it is out in the open. The Dictator Pope (revised and updated) – now available in hard copy from Regnery for pre-order (23 … Read More
From a priest… QUAERITUR: I’m a priest who occasionally gets asked to hear confessions in a jail where the only way to speak to a person is through glass and a telephone headset. Without using the phone, one can barely hear the other … Read More
Over at my old stomping ground, The Wanderer, there is a good piece by Chris Montesano which uses as its springboard the shooting at the school in Florida. Along the way he quoted Book IX of Plato’s Republic: “The teacher fears … Read More
Was there a good point made during the sermon you heard for your Mass of obligation this 5th Sunday of Lent (Novus Ordo). From this Sunday, traditionally called 1st Sunday of the Passion, it is customary to veil images in … Read More