The motto on the coat-of-arms of Most Rev. Glen John Provost, Bishop of Lake Charles (Louisiana), is Pro Futuris Serit… He sows for the sake of those to come. His CV is HERE. A quick scan suggests that he is a cultured man.
Bp. Provost issued a decree for the Diocese of Lake Charles about Francis’ Plessy v. Ferguson legacy document, the cruel Traditionis custodes.
Frankly, the best reaction from diocesan bishops would be to ignore it. But…
I am issuing this Decree for the implementation of Traditionis custodes in compliance with its prescriptions. As a pastor and a bishop, I am aware of the needs of the flock and address them. We do so liturgically for numerous groups that require special attention, such as our University students, the Hispanic community, and the hearing impaired. Our pastoral concern extends as well to those who worship in the usus antiquior, that is with the Roman Missal of 1962, and who have done so since the establishment of the Diocese. I am unaware of anyone in this community who has expressed opposition to the Second Vatican Council, much less denied its legitimacy. As well, those who have chosen to discuss with me their devotion to the usus antiquior have insisted upon the validity of the reformed liturgy. With this in mind, I would be grossly negligent, if not callous, to implement any restrictive law while at the same time ignoring these realities.
The whole thing breaks down into.
- We are up to our neck dealing with disasters.
- And now comes this document when we have real problems.
- I’ve not experienced the negative things that are claimed about Tradition oriented people.
- People are just trying to do there best here.
- The bishop is invoking can. 87 to dispense from TC art.3 § 2 and Masses in the Vetus Ordo will continue at parishes, which are now designated at locations for the Vetus Ordo.
- There is no prohibition of the administration of the other sacraments.
- The bishop will grant the faculty to any priest who is idoneus. This is for private celebration (which I don’t think a priest needs) and publicly at approved times.
- Pastors should seek permission to begin new Masses.
- Priests can use the Breviarium Romanum and Ordo for confessions.
- New priests should ask for the faculty.
- He appointed a priest to be moderator for all of this.
- The Institute of Christ the King can continue as before.
This is minimally invasive and, all things considered, about the best application of the cruel and unnecessary Traditionis custodes we have seen.
Fr. Z kudos to Bp. Provost.