SHOPPING ONLINE? Please, come here first!
Your support is important. Thanks in advance.
To donate monthly via Continue To Give use your phone's camera to activate the Q code or text 4827563 to 715-803-4772 (US) for a link.
For Zelle and Chase, etc., use
frz AT wdtprs DOT com.
About this blog…
“This blog is like a fusion of the Baroque ‘salon’ with its well-tuned harpsichord around which polite society gathered for entertainment and edification and, on the other hand, a Wild West “saloon” with its out-of-tune piano and swinging doors, where everyone has a gun and something to say. Nevertheless, we try to point our discussions back to what it is to be Catholic in this increasingly difficult age, to love God, and how to get to heaven.” – Fr. Z
Coat of Arms by D Burkart
“I’m Fr. Z and I warmly endorse this message!”
Wonderful about St. Joseph! “Terror of Demons”
ABORTION PILL RESCUE NETWORK
- The most evident mark of God’s anger and the most terrible castigation He can inflict upon the world are manifested when He permits His people to fall into the hands of clerics who are priests more in name than in deed, priests who practice the cruelty of ravening wolves rather than the charity and affection of devoted shepherds.
St. John Eudes
I am delighted to have been approved as an affiliate of Chess.com and House of Staunton.
Use FATHERZ10 at checkout for 10% off
Donate using VENMO
GREAT BEER from Traditional Benedictine Monks in Italy
CLICK and say your daily offerings!
Do you want to show some appreciation?
Do you have a faithful Catholic website that needs competent and reliable tech support?
NEW OPPORTUNITY – 10% off with code: FATHERZ10
Fr. Z’s VOICEMAIL
Nota bene: I do not answer these numbers or this Skype address. You won't get me "live". I check for messages regularly.
020 8133 4535
YOUR RECENT COMMENTS
- Kathleen10 on ROME 23/05 – Day 29: Monday in the OCTAVE OF PENTECOST: “Those are happy and fast rondini! I can see why you like them, but I do wonder about your despising…”
- monstrance on Your Sunday Sermon Notes – Pentecost Sunday 2023: “Great news at our TLM diocesan parish. Getting so busy that our Great Bishop will be allowing at least one…”
- Not on ROME 23/05 – Day 28: Pentecost Sunday: “I could never do the snails. As a child, I would see the men sitting in a circle, drinking wine…”
- maternalView on ROME 23/05 – Day 29: Monday in the OCTAVE OF PENTECOST: “I can believe that Paul IV wept over the end of the Octave of Pentecost. It is the thinking of…”
- marymargaretmiller on ROME 23/05 – Day 29: Monday in the OCTAVE OF PENTECOST: “Compuserve! That’s a blast from the past. I will pray for a miracle for your finances, Father. Also, praying for…”
- PatS on ROME 23/05 – Day 29: Monday in the OCTAVE OF PENTECOST: “” father of a family who, in his decisions or waffles, allows his family to fall apart when he might…”
- OssaSola on This might provoke a Snicker or two.: “Every time I see this sort of post my mind reels and I think, “This must be how Archbishop LeFebvre…”
- mburduck on 26 May 1991: 32nd anniversary of ordination: “Happy Anniversary, Father. You were ordained on my birthday, too, which reminds me I’m getting old…. For the record, I…”
- FRLBJ on ROME 23/05 – Day 27: I can’t help it.: “We had the 1954 Vigil of Pentecost liturgy-3 hours long. The 6 prophecies were sung before the Holy Mass began.…”
- TheCavalierHatherly on WDTPRS – Pentecost Sunday: Holy Church’s fabric, the warp and the weft: ““Sacramentum translates Greek mysterion. Sacramentum and Latin mysterium are often interchangeable in liturgical texts.” I often ponder whether or not…”
- ordovirginum on ROME 23/05 – Day 28: Pentecost Sunday: “Will pray for your mother, Fr Z.”
- maternalView on ROME 23/05 – Day 28: Pentecost Sunday: “Even the carpet on the altar is gorgeous.”
- maternalView on Your Sunday Sermon Notes – Pentecost Sunday 2023: “I was caught off guard today. The Vetus Ordo I thought I was attending turned out to be Novus Ordo…”
- palestrinadei on Your Sunday Sermon Notes – Pentecost Sunday 2023: “Father gave us another reminder of the special election this summer and that voting incorrectly or omitting is a serious…”
- Gregg the Obscure on ROME 23/05 – Day 28: Pentecost Sunday: “When the new rector arrived in 2021, Sunday afternoon already included confessions from 1700 until all were heard and Mass…”
Books which you must have.
This REALLY helps! And it’s great coffee (and tea)
I use this when I travel both in these USA and abroad. Very useful. Fast enough for Zoom. I connect my DMR (ham radio) through it. If you use my link, they give me more data. A GREAT back up.
Don’t rely on popes, bishops and priests.
“He [Satan] will set up a counter-Church which will be the ape of the Church because, he the devil, is the ape of God. It will have all the notes and characteristics of the Church, but in reverse and emptied of its divine content. It will be a mystical body of the anti-Christ that will in all externals resemble the mystical body of Christ. In desperate need for God, whom he nevertheless refuses to adore, modern man in his loneliness and frustration will hunger more and more for membership in a community that will give him enlargement of purpose, but at the cost of losing himself in some vague collectivity.”
“Who is going to save our Church? Not our bishops, not our priests and religious. It is up to you, the people. You have the minds, the eyes, and the ears to save the Church. Your mission is to see that your priests act like priests, your bishops act like bishops.”
- Fulton Sheen
Therefore, ACTIVATE YOUR CONFIRMATION and get to work!
Send Snail Mail to Fr. ZFr John Zuhlsdorf
Tridentine Mass Society of Madison
733 Struck St.
PO BOX 44603
Madison, WI 53744-4603
For email HERE
- “The modern habit of doing ceremonial things unceremoniously is no proof of humility; rather it proves the offender's inability to forget himself in the rite, and his readiness to spoil for every one else the proper pleasure of ritual.”
- C.S. Lewis
This blog has to earn its keep!
PLEASE subscribe via PayPal if it is useful.
That way I have steady income I can plan on, and you wind up regularly on my list of benefactors for whom I pray and for whom I periodically say Holy Mass.
In view of the rapidly changing challenges I now face, I would like to add more $10/month subscribers. Will you please help?
For a one time donation...
As for Latin…
"But if, in any layman who is indeed imbued with literature, ignorance of the Latin language, which we can truly call the 'catholic' language, indicates a certain sluggishness in his love toward the Church, how much more fitting it is that each and every cleric should be adequately practiced and skilled in that language!" - Pius XI
"Let us realize that this remark of Cicero (Brutus 37, 140) can be in a certain way referred to [young lay people]: 'It is not so much a matter of distinction to know Latin as it is disgraceful not to know it.'" - St. John Paul II
- ROME 23/05 – Day 30: Tuesday in the OCTAVE OF PENTECOST
- WDTPRS – Pentecost Monday: from bondage, freedom – from anxiety, peace
- ROME 23/05 – Day 29: Monday in the OCTAVE OF PENTECOST
- ROME 23/05 – Day 28: Pentecost Sunday
- WDTPRS – Pentecost Sunday: Holy Church’s fabric, the warp and the weft
- Your Sunday Sermon Notes – Pentecost Sunday 2023
- ROME 23/05 – Day 27: I can’t help it.
- 25 May 2023: Litany of St. Philip Neri and Prayer of Card. Baronio – VIDEO
- “Oh people will come, Reverend Mother. People will most definitely come….”
- ROME 23/05 – Day 26: Truly precious
- WDTPRS: Mass Prayers “Pro seipso sacerdote – For the priest himself” (1962MR)
- 26 May 1991: 32nd anniversary of ordination
- 23 May 2023 – Reinstallation of St. Philip Neri’s altarpiece – VIDEO
- From “The Private Diary of Bishop F. Atticus McButterpants” – 23-05-21 – Cufflinks
- ROME 23/05 – Day 25: Picture show
- From “The Private Diary of Bishop F. Atticus McButterpants” – 23-05-20 – “Breakout” session
- This might provoke a Snicker or two.
- A good point in Card. Burke’s book on when Communion should be denied
- OMNIUM GATHERUM: TLM pilgrimage, Music, Miracle sought
- ROME 23/05 – Day 24: Hoofing it and blossoms
- Laus Deo! Great news from Gower Abbey in Missouri
- Chicago Alderman to Card. Cupich: FREE THE SHRINE!
- ROME 23/05 – Day 23: Purple, Pizza and Puzzle
- ROME 23/05 – Day 22: Banns and bans
- ACTION ITEM! New Roman vestments for the parish – UPDATES – Starting to collect the pledges.
- Your Sunday Sermon Notes – 6th Sunday after Easter, Sunday after Ascension (N.O.: 7th of) 2023
- ROME 23/05 – Day 20: It’s the little things.
- Bad floods in Italy! A priest. A book. A bridge.
- ASK FATHER: After being away for years, I went to confession but I forgot something.
- 20 May – The “Golden Girl” of Ostia, St. Aurea and a link with St. Augustine’s mom, Monnica
Let us pray…
Grant unto thy Church, we beseech Thee, O merciful God, that She, being gathered together by the Holy Ghost, may be in no wise troubled by attack from her foes. O God, who by sin art offended and by penance pacified, mercifully regard the prayers of Thy people making supplication unto Thee,and turn away the scourges of Thine anger which we deserve for our sins. Almighty and Everlasting God, in whose Hand are the power and the government of every realm: look down upon and help the Christian people that the heathen nations who trust in the fierceness of their own might may be crushed by the power of thine Arm. Through our Lord Jesus Christ, Thy Son, who liveth and reigneth with Thee in the unity of the Holy Ghost, God, world without end. R. Amen.
Be a “Zed-Head”!
My "challenge coin" for my 25th anniversary of ordination in 2016.
Want one? I do exchanges with military and LEOs, etc.
PLEASE RESPOND. Pretty pleeeease?Loading ...
This is really useful when travelling… and also when you aren’t and you need backup internet NOW! I use this for my DMR “Zednet” hotspot when I’m mobile. It’s a ham radio thing.
If you travel internationally, this is a super useful gizmo for your mobile internet data. I use one. If you get one through my link, I get data rewards.
Please use my links when shopping! I depend on your help.
WDTPRS POLLLoading ...
Fr. Z’s stuff is everywhere
Help support Fr. Z’s Gospel of Life work at no cost to you. Do you need a Real Estate Agent? Calling these people is the FIRST thing you should do!
GREAT causes to support
Tag Archives: hermeneutic of discontinuity and rupture
Mosebach: “The vehemence of the motu proprio’s language suggests that this directive has come too late. “
The distinguished German author Martin Mosebach, whose amazing books I do not tire of recommending, has a piece at First Things about the Motu Proprio Traditionis custodes (TC). Mosebach begins from the premise that “papal authority is unraveling as never before” … Read More
Kwasniewski instructs @MassimoFaggioli about real “rupture”
Recently Massimo “Beans” Faggioli has attempted to stir up a pingle and, with it, attention for himself, by denigrating our Catholic Tradition – nay, rather – by denigrating the people who desire our Catholic Tradition. His latest clickbait shtick, which … Read More
The Hermeneutic of Ambiguity
From a comment under an entry here… When enumerating the various hermeneutics for reading documents: the hermeneutic of continuity or the hermeneutic of rupture, they, apparently, forgot to include the hermeneutics of ambiguity. A priest friend sent this. UPDATE: … Read More
Pope Francis’ letter to “the best hermeneutical interpreter of the Second Vatican Council.”
Here is something interesting. His Holiness Pope Francis has written a letter to Archbp. Agostino Marchetto… again. Marchetto has helped to break the monopoly of the “hermeneutic of discontinuity” types when it comes to the interpretation of Vatican II. the … Read More
VIDEO: A bishop publicly dumps Pope Benedict
I was sent a link to a video with some of an interview by Bishop Enrico dal Covolo, who is presently rector of my old school, the Pontifical Lateran University. dal Covolo, an SDB (aka Socio di Bertone aka Salesian) … Read More
STOP THE PRESSES: Bad news for liberals who have hijacked Pope Francis!
Here is something that really caught my eye. If this is the real thing, if… this is the real thing… this is huge. It is plausible, but I want to take it with just a grain of salt. This smells … Read More
Wm. Oddie on the rumor about Marini and the CDW
William Oddie has a spot-on column at the UK’s best Catholic weekly, The Catholic Herald. A few comments before we get to the main course. First, a few years ago a book came out over the name of (Archbishop) Piero … Read More
PODCAzT 136: 25 years later – Ratzinger’s address to the Bishops of Chile; The Biological Solution
Today marks 25 years since Joseph Card. Ratzinger gave a famous address in Santiago, Chile to the Chilean bishops. Context: In the months immediately preceding this address, Archbp, Marcel Lefebvre of the SSPX had signed an agreement with the Holy … Read More
CDF Prefect Archbp. Müller: “the hermeneutic of reform” is “only possible interpretation”
My old pastor, the late Msgr. Schuler used to say that “You can go into the ditch on either side of the road, left or right. Either way, you are still in a ditch.” This has been my concern about … Read More
Selective readings, ruptures in ritual, artificial impositions, reclaiming continuity
CNA/EWTN had a piece about the pilgrimage to Rome in thanksgiving for Summorum Pontificum. The undersigned was happy to be quoted. Pilgrims arrive in Rome to celebrate Latin Mass permission By Matthew A. Rarey Vatican City, Nov 2, 2012 / … Read More
A new kind of discussion has begun about Vatican II and it cannot be stopped.
The other day I picked up at Ancora bookstore near St. Peter’s Basilica a copy of Serafino M. Lanzetta’s book Iuxta Modum: il Vaticano II riletto alla luce della tradizione della Chiesa. The author proposes a re-reading of the … Read More
Four minutes on what happened with the Council and what young people want now
Fr. Kramer, Pastor of the Extraordinary Form parish in Rome, explains the situation: [wp_youtube]ZLeomOG3bN8[/wp_youtube]
L’Osservatore Romano: article about acceptance of Vatican II aimed at liberals and SSPXers
I am sure that, given some stories going around that the SSPX might refuse the CDF’s “Doctrinal Preamble”, there should be an article in L’Osservatore Romano (on the site in English, Spanish, French, German, Portughese and, of course, Italian) entitled: … Read More