Search Fr. Z’s Blog
SHOPPING ONLINE? Please, always come here first!
Enter Amazon through my link. Use the search bar below. Fr Z will get a small percentage of what you spend.
Here's Fr. Z's "catholic" search for Amazon: US HERE - UK HERE And you do need a Kindle! - HERE
“This blog is like a fusion of the Baroque ‘salon’ with its well-tuned harpsichord around which polite society gathered for entertainment and edification and, on the other hand, a Wild West “saloon” with its out-of-tune piano and swinging doors, where everyone has a gun and something to say. Nevertheless, we try to point our discussions back to what it is to be Catholic in this increasingly difficult age, to love God, and how to get to heaven.” – Fr. Z
Coat of Arms by D Burkart
YOUR RECENT COMMENTS
- Elizabeth D: I did not read all the other comments, this subject matter causes me too much anxiety and I should generally not discuss it here.
- Kenneth Wolfe: September 26 is a third class feast on the 1962 calendar, the feast of St. Isaac Jogues and Companions in the U.S., and Saints Cyprian and Justina universall y (commemora ted in the...
- Kathleen10: I doubt the Synod organizers think young people want or need the changes they inflict. They are following the plan they have had roiling around in their heads for quite some time now....
- un-ionized: Elizabeth, you’ re allowed to use your brain. I have been through a lot of trials about Mary even though she was the one who brought me into the Church and I certainly wouldn&...
- crjs1: luciavento I think it highly dependant on location. In Scotland where I am my experience is similar to yours in that the most liberal parishes have by far the largest congregati ons (on...
- mwa: There is a passage in JudithR 17;s Marriage (by Bryan Houghton) which lays out very nicely this 2way nature of tradition. It is spoken by an old man who has just come to believe the truth...
- The Masked Chicken: Dear Elizabeth D, I imagine that many young women would have the same quandaries you had in understand ing why Mary’s virginity is something special, given how society underst...
- Imrahil: Dear SpesUnica, I would agree to an edit of “suspended ” I didn’ ;t really claim more than that here, so: accepted. Please don’ t mind my observatio n that the “...
- Thorfinn: The FSSPX has 65 new seminarian s vs. 637 current priests. The FSSP has 39 new seminarian s vs. 287 current priests. The ICRSS has 22 new seminarian s vs. 114 current priests. (“...
- JohnE: Poor kid. The difficulty for him ever becoming a Supreme Court judge just skyrockete d.
- SpesUnica: “sus pended for the time being,R 21; is not, at this moment in history, really different from saying “for the foreseeabl e future. 221; That isn’ t something I am...
- luciavento: I still do not see personally the TLM out pacing attendance at liberal NO Masses. The two most highly attended Masses I attended recently were at churches where the tabernacle was not...
- Imrahil: Dear SpesUnica, it falls into the area of the claims of the SSPX that the church is in such a crisis that obedience to the Chair of Peter is abrogated. You could perhaps, if you wish to be...
- Imrahil: As to the article posted by the dear ProfKwasni ewski, I am rather critical about this canonizati on myself (though I don’ t doubt St. Paul VI’s being in Heaven, now the Church...
- SpesUnica: I find myself in agreement with DiPippo (“Wh at does the Canonizati on of Paul VI Mean for the Liturgy and Liturgical Reform? 221;) [tldr; Nothing], and in disagreeme nt with...
- Uxixu: One decent feature of the 1969-1970 Pauline calendar is the idea of local feastsR 30; unfortunat ely tainted by too many other innovation s. After St. Pius V, way too many 16th and 17th...
- Spinmamma: The true losers in all of this were the two terrified children. My view of this woman is that she has serious mental health issues, inflamed by the #metoo movement. Personally I thought...
- LeeGilbert: Peter Kwasniewsk i writes, “Why is the reader so certain that Paul VI is a saint, and that praying publicly to him would not be a sin?” ; Perhaps, PK, it is because the...
- Titus: The two hats in that photo belonged to Cards. O’Boyle and Hickey. This is what I would have thought. +Baum was buried in the cathedral in Washington but wasn’ ;t the archbishop at the...
- zama202: As an attorney weighing the totality of the evidence – the spiritual and liturgical state of most (not all) NO parishes – and the spiritual and liturgical state of the SSPX...
- Geoffrey: Perhaps the questioner wishes to promote unity and reconcilia tion by incorporat ing Saint John XXIII, Saint Paul VI, or Saint John Paul II into the extraordin ary form of the Roman Rite....
- Imrahil: Note: Whether or not canonizati ons are infallible , as the traditiona l, but apparently with some reasons questioned stand is, one thing is clear that if they are infallible , there is...
- The Egyptian: dear supertradm om I do not attend a SSPX chapel there is none anywhere near me, however, some of the “cat holic̶ 1; masses I have attended were almost not “...
- Elizabeth D: I want to comment i am sorry if I distressed anyone and do not want to disrespect Mary or anyone
- Elizabeth Rose: Having read the article on onepeterfi ve, and the other article linked there, I am very confused about the infallibil ity of canonizati ons. I always thought they were infallible ,...
CLICK and say your daily offerings!
- Fr. Longenecker: “ALL ARE WELCOME…TO WHAT EXACTLY?”
- #Synod2018 concerns in a couple of sharp sentences. Then Fr. Z rants.
- 15 Oct: St. Teresa, calendars and fascinating fountains! (A note to NAC seminarians and Rome denizens.)
- ASK FATHER: Celebrating Conciliar Saint Popes in the Traditional Roman Rite
- The future of the Church (hint – NOT #Synod2018)
- How the Left rolls
- #Synod2018 underway but there are no rules. Making it up as they go?
- ASK FATHER: Coalition in Support of “Ecclessia Dei” – What’s up?
- Your Sunday Sermon Notes
- Dodging Global Extinction Events
- VIDEO: Pro-abortion propaganda v. Catholics in NYC
- JUST TOO COOL: The ‘tricolours’ ensign of Le Généreux, captured by Nelson on display
- ASK FATHER: Pastor won’t allow TLM wedding in “his church”
- WDTPRS – 28th Ordinary Sunday: Fascinating Collect, seminar on grace!
- The unhinged Left now turns to satanism, witchcraft to fight Pres. Trump, Justice Kavanaugh
- SSPX Superior Fr. Pagliarani interview: “we have to have souls ready for all sorts of sacrifices”
- What to do with former-Card. McCarrick’s galero in the @WashArchdiocese Cathedral
- Something fun for Friday
- ASK FATHER: ” I feel that my Faith is just being torn apart”
- URGENT PRAYER REQUEST: Australia and removal of all abortion restrictions
- Francis accepted Card. Wuerl’s two year old resignation, wrote him a Letter
- ASK FATHER: Official Latin of Fatima Rosary Prayer
- NOTE TO READERS about email and contact
- Anniversary of John XXIII’s 1962 “Gaudet Mater Ecclesia” and how it has been misused #Synod2018 #VaticanII #podcast
- ASK FATHER: Is “Amoris laetitia” really translated “The Exuberance of Lust”?
- Certain sins bring infestation of demons: horrid #sodoclericalism “parties” close to the most important places in the Vatican
- VARIA: Concrete parish project of reparation (PDF); Fighting back in Chicago; Disasters, death and YOU!; a little Latin (AUDIO); some super Catholic trivia.
- Is watered-down faith of #Synod2018 “worth dying for when the man with the machete shows up at your door?”
- Divisions are growing
- 2nd Sunday of October: Votive Mass of the Good Thief in prisons, jails, etc.
Let us pray…
Grant unto thy Church, we beseech Thee, O merciful God, that She, being gathered together by the Holy Ghost, may be in no wise troubled by attack from her foes. O God, who by sin art offended and by penance pacified, mercifully regard the prayers of Thy people making supplication unto Thee,and turn away the scourges of Thine anger which we deserve for our sins. Almighty and Everlasting God, in whose Hand are the power and the government of every realm: look down upon and help the Christian people that the heathen nations who trust in the fierceness of their own might may be crushed by the power of thine Arm. Through our Lord Jesus Christ, Thy Son, who liveth and reigneth with Thee in the unity of the Holy Ghost, God, world without end. R. Amen.
This blog has to earn its keep!
New miscellaneous releases and events
Yes, Fr. Z is taking ads…
A great hymnal…
Because it matters what children read…
I carry one of these super-strong rosaries in my spare mag pouch! The Swiss Guards have them too!
My "challenge coin" for my 25th anniversary of ordination in 2016.
Want one? I do exchanges with military and LEOs, etc. and you can make a donation.
Because you don’t know when you are going to need to move fast or get along without the supermarket…
PLEASE RESPOND. Pretty pleeeease?Loading ...
WDTPRS POLLLoading ...
Fr. Z’s stuff is everywhere
Help support Fr. Z’s Gospel of Life work at no cost to you. Do you need a Real Estate Agent? Calling these people is the FIRST thing you should do!
GREAT causes to support
Help Monks in Wyoming (coffee – UPDATED LINK) and Norcia (beer) and the wonderful "Soap Sisters" of Summit, NJ!
Please follow me on Twitter!
If you travel internationally, this is a super useful gizmo for your mobile internet data. I use one. If you get one through my link, I get data rewards.
Category Archives: Dogs and Fleas
A story of spectacular complexity, involving shady people, huge money, interlocking directorates, vast loans, and the Papal Foundation.
Pope Francis on September 20, 2018, received in the Apostolic Palace Consistory Hall of the Vatican, the participants at the Conference of the Sons of Holy Mary Immaculate on the occasion of the 150th anniversary of the Venerable … Continue reading
This is about par for the Jesuit course.
Jesuit Priest Tells Catholics to Fight Abortion by Electing ‘Pro-Choice Democrats’
Writing for Religion News Service (RNS)— Father Reese, the former editor-in-chief of [Jesuit] America Magazine—says that “pro-lifers must consider voting for candidates, … Continue reading
During the Chinese Cultural Revolution, Mao and other leaders signaled to the masses, such as gangs of students, whom they should target for attack and public abuse. Quickly the mobs, led by party cadres, began to conduct purges of “enemies … Continue reading
I have written in the past of my grudging respect for Camille Paglia. Although I definitely am on the other side of the fence than she is on a number of issues, she is smart, honest, and writes beautifully (unlike … Continue reading
Notre Shame, not content with giving an honor to the pro-abortion Pres. Obama, is now giving one to pro-abortion catholic VPres. Biden.
Along with Nancy Pelosi, VPres. Biden is a certain candidate for can. 915.
Bishop Rhoades Slams Notre Dame Honor … Continue reading
From a reader…
My 10 year old Golden Retriever is in rough shape. How far is too far when praying for pets? What is a Catholic to do when his pet is sick or in danger of death? Is praying appropriate?
I’m sorry for … Continue reading
Qui cum canibus concumbunt cum pulicibus surgent.
From Catholic World News:
President Obama will be keynote speaker at Catholic Health Association convention
President Barack Obama will deliver the closing address to the annual assembly of the Catholic Health Association (CHA), the organization has … Continue reading
No wonder the Church is struggling in Belgium.
From Tradition in Action and Amor de la Verdad:
Catholic funeral for a dog in Belgium
It happened on April 22, 2015 in the city of Sambreville, Belgium, in St. Victor Church of Auvelais. [D. Namur] The parish … Continue reading
Former SSPX Bp. Williamson consecrated another bishop. They both have incurred the late sententiae excommunication foreseen in Canon Law.
The SSPX issued an official statement HERE:
On March 19, 2015, Bishop Richard Williamson performed the episcopal consecration of Fr. Jean-Michel Faure at … Continue reading
I saw at CWR that former SSPX Bp. Richard Williamson intends soon in Brazil to consecrate at least one priest as a bishop.
He will immediately incur, again, the excommunication which he had incurred at the time of his own illicit … Continue reading
UPDATE BELOW (Fishwrap closed it’s comments.)
___ Original Published on: Nov 9, 2014 ___
If ever you needed proof of what an evil site and occasion of sin the National Schismatic Reporter (aka Fishwrap) has become, just have a look at the combox under … Continue reading
I was recently sent a link to a page about the Nuns on the Bus tour taking place. This is effort run by Sr. Simone Campbell of the lobby group NETWORK to sign up as many people who will vote … Continue reading
Even though the culture wars are over and a new morning has dawned, I want you all to click HERE and read carefully a piece at the National Catholic Register by Anne Carey about the “Nuns on the Bus”.
The Nuns … Continue reading
I find myself in complete agreement with Phyllis Zagano.
[Those sounds you are hearing are jaws hitting desks, mugs of Mystic Monk coffee dropping to the floor with a crash and splash, astonished readers sliding off chairs in a swoon.]
Yes, you … Continue reading
One of our frequent commentators here sent me this (appetite spoiling) photo with this:
The Right Stuff? (Remember the scene with the 7 astronauts in space suits?
Get a load of these photos of “clergy” arriving for vote on wymen bishops:
From the … Continue reading