Search Fr. Z’s Blog
SHOPPING ONLINE? Please, always come here first!Enter Amazon through my link, the image below (they took away our search box!), and I will get a small percentage of what you spend. (Pssst - Can't see it? Turn off your "ad-blocker" for this site!)
Here's a generic "catholic" search start point for Amazon:
And you do need a Kindle! - HERE
“This blog is like a fusion of the Baroque ‘salon’ with its well-tuned harpsichord around which polite society gathered for entertainment and edification and, on the other hand, a Wild West “saloon” with its out-of-tune piano and swinging doors, where everyone has a gun and something to say. Nevertheless, we try to point our discussions back to what it is to be Catholic in this increasingly difficult age, to love God, and how to get to heaven.” – Fr. Z
YOUR RECENT COMMENTS
- hwriggles4: My diocese began doing the “Lea ve the Light On” campaign circa 2008, not long after a new bishop arrived. Our newer bishop (arrived last year) is continuing the “...
- YoungLatinMassGuy: It is amazing to me… The Bishops, and the priests and deacons as well, have all managed to turn the Most Epic story in human history, filled with intrigue, betraya...
- Mike: What sells? At least the last time I checked, the posters promoting diocesan vocations and the Retirement Fund for Religious portrayed traditiona l-looking priests, brothers and sisters. Not...
- Antonin: The problem with Spadaro and many of the Italian prelates and western European ones is that they are not accustomed to democracy and the kind of free speech that occurs within the United...
- Fallibilissimo: These discussion s on conscience are all fine and dandy but, speaking of concrete lived experience , maybe it’s time we start hearing something about what obedience and disobed...
- Malta: You are too funny Father! “cat holic Red Guard.R 21; No one who reads your posts could miss that nuance! ToucheR 11;well said!
- Imrahil: Dear JesusFreak 84, or, you could reconsider your position (which is apparently “the State is the Christian& #8217;s enemy̶ 1;) in favor of the Catholic position, which is that...
- Pharisee: Henry VIII didn’ ;t want to keep his wedding vows. What’ ;s happening now is the popularisa tion of that oath-break ing. Christ points towards Calvary. We must renounce sin, and...
- Bunky: My late father, who loved Vatican II, had actually seen the Pope’ ;s demonstrat ion of the New Mass back then. At the time, he said, priests had a question as to who, precisely, would...
- FrankWalshingham: Living in DC, I have seen then let Dominican priests from across the street and FSSP priests say Mass in the Extraordin ary Form at the Basilica. Its a shame they are discrim...
- JARay: I would be quite happy to echo what the writer above me here has written were it not for the last paragraph saying that Pope Pius X was clairvoyan t and Pope Paul VI was destructiv e. Maybe...
- benedetta: Far from “accompani ment”, this seems much more an abandonmen t.
- Atra Dicenda, Rubra Agenda: What in Hell is Cupich talling about?
- David L Alexander: The experience s of others notwithsta nding (and which from my own experience are quite plausible) , the Chapel of Our Lady of Lourdes has a Traditiona l Mass scheduled for every...
- SenexCalvus: Suburbanba nshee writes: “It’s almost as if rewards and punishment s are part of one’s lived experience . It even seems that rewarding good behavior while repenting and amending from...
- Kathleen10: Sorry, one more thought after the fact. When you stop and consider this is a high ranking priest calling for a man to lose his actual job, his employment , it boggles the mind. Raymond...
- oldCatholigirl: Beautiful music! And elegant Collect from the EF. However, in our culture, tempura could hardly be considered a penitentia l food. For me, anyway, it would be a special treat.
- Sportsfan: G.A. Henty wrote a book on the war in the Vendee called No Surrender! A Tale Of The Rising In La Vendee.
- Kathleen10: So we’r e about to see how EWTN feels about things. It’s not going to be possible to avoid taking a position, for or against. There are a lot of fence sitters but that...
- JonathanTX: I wonder if these Bishops and others in the Church are actively trying to destroy it, or are just completely blind to the logical end that this subjectivi sm leads to. If something as...
- richdel: When using data (what the conscience of those with “liv ed experience ” tells us) to drive decisions (discernin g in what manner doctrine is developing ) we need the proper...
- Mary Jane: Antonin, you have a point about learning to work with all kinds of people and get along. I know that can be a weakness of homeschool ing – there is a possibilit y the homeschool ed...
- Ave Crux: Bishop Serratelli , of the Paterson Diocese in NJ, also asks each year that all the parishes in the diocese schedule Confession s on Monday of each week during Lent in addition to their...
- New Sister: @Suburbanb anshee & @guadete thank you for the informatio n search – I appreciate having it! A colleague also found it here, https://ad oremus.org /2007/12/3 1/Domus...
- Gus Barbarigo: Today (Feb. 21st) is the feast of another very timely saint, Peter Damian: https://ww w.lifesite news.com/n ews/interv iew-how-st .-peter-da mian-confr onted-the- plague-of- homose...
CLICK and say your daily offering!
- Promoted by @JamesMartinSJ – Jesuits have yoga in church sanctuary at a school
- LENTCAzT 2018 09 – Thursday in the 1st Week of Lent: The inexhaustible virtue of the Word
- Fr. Murray on “lived experience”, “accompaniment”, “conscience”
- More news from the New catholic Red Guard
- Making the Church appealing. What “sells”?
- LENTCAzT 2018 08 – Wednesday in the 1st Week of Lent: Never ending combat
- 20 Feb – Feast of Sts Francisco and Jacinta of Fatima
- Of “paradigm shift” interest
- Spain: young people dancing a jota in reparation for blasphemy against the Blessed Virgin
- Mega-Masses and too many Hosts
- The State v. Self-Reliance
- LENTCAzT 2018 07 – Tuesday in the 1st Week of Lent: subtle temptation
- Attacks on the family
- My View For Awhile: Capital Edition
- Books for boys. Suggested titles and an additional point.
- LENTCAzT 2018 06 – Monday in the 1st Week of Lent: “I warned you!”
- Wherein Fr Longenecker schools @JamesMartinSJ
- Your Sunday Sermon Notes
- WDTPRS 1st Sunday of Lent (N.O.): The Lenten “Sacrament”
- LENTCAzT 2018 05 – 1st Sunday of Lent: Anger and Reason
- Commandments are NOT mere “ideals” from which some are excused because, “They’re tooo haaard!” Wherein Fr. Z rants.
- JUST TOO COOL – Cops, ashes, and podcasts
- VIDEO Fr. Murray and Prof. Royal on some tough issues
- LENTCAzT 2018 04 – Ash Saturday: Getting ready for… it.
- Pontifical Requiem Mass for a great lover of the Church’s sacred liturgy
- LENTCAzT 2018 03 – Ash Friday: Grant me a little more time
- Role of #MSM in mass shootings: If it bleeds, it leads. Angry @fatherz asks fearful questions
- Wherein Fr. Z rants in the wake of the Florida school mass murder
- Friday after Ash Wednesday: Feast of the Crown of Thorns
- LENTCAzT 2018 02 – Ash Thursday: What you are I was, what I am you shall be.
Let us pray…
Grant unto thy Church, we beseech Thee, O merciful God, that She, being gathered together by the Holy Ghost, may be in no wise troubled by attack from her foes. O God, who by sin art offended and by penance pacified, mercifully regard the prayers of Thy people making supplication unto Thee,and turn away the scourges of Thine anger which we deserve for our sins. Almighty and Everlasting God, in whose Hand are the power and the government of every realm: look down upon and help the Christian people that the heathen nations who trust in the fierceness of their own might may be crushed by the power of thine Arm. Through our Lord Jesus Christ, Thy Son, who liveth and reigneth with Thee in the unity of the Holy Ghost, God, world without end. R. Amen.
New miscellaneous releases and events
Yes, Fr. Z is taking ads…
A great hymnal…
Because it matters what children read…
I carry one of these super-strong rosaries in my spare mag pouch! The Swiss Guards have them too!
Because you don’t know when you are going to need to move fast or get along without the supermarket…
PLEASE RESPOND. Pretty pleeeease?Loading ...
WDTPRS POLLLoading ...
Fr. Z’s stuff is everywhere
Help support Fr. Z’s Gospel of Life work at no cost to you. Do you need a Real Estate Agent? Calling these people is the FIRST thing you should do!
GREAT causes to support
Help Monks in Wyoming (coffee – UPDATED LINK) and Norcia (beer) and the wonderful "Soap Sisters" of Summit, NJ!
Please follow me on Twitter!
If you travel internationally, this is a super useful gizmo for your mobile internet data. I use one. If you get one through my link, I get data rewards.
A book by an old friend…
Tag Archives: America Magazine
For decade after decade a liberal elite dominated the mass media. People hardly knew it, the domination was so pervasive and complete. Then, slowly but surely, a few conservatives clawed their way past the massive machine of opposition. So, it … Continue reading
There is a piece at Jesuit-run Amerika. I was going to post about it earlier, but a theologian friend of mine sent me an email about it with some analysis. With his permission I repost some of what he wrote … Continue reading
Over at Amerika Magazine‘s single redeeming feature there is a fascinating interview with a fascinating gal, Camille Paglia. Here are a couple samples. I think she’s dead wrong about a whole raft of things, but a) she’s honest and b) she’s … Continue reading
Remember a while back when Card. Marx pulled a fast one with the text of Evangelii gaudium? HERE
Over at LifeSite News, Hillary White offers another facet of Marx’s interview with Jesuit-run America Magazine. America is leading the charge in the … Continue reading
Walter Card. Kasper, author of a proposal for the civilly remarried to receive Communion – and thus to create an under-class of Catholics, “tolerated but not accepted” Catholics, has given an interview – yet another – to Amerika, which has … Continue reading
It is time to fight back.
Over at The Liturgy Guy there is a good post about clericalism.
First, let me say that there is a good clericalism and a bad.
The worst clericalism that we see is of pandemic proportions among the … Continue reading
From the WaPo comes some promotion of the Jesuit mystique.
Here is a great example of how the MSM promotes liberal Catholics as the cool kid’s table. America Magazine is seemingly going to eschew the “liberal” and “conservative” dichotomy, rise above … Continue reading
Check out one blog’s vivisection of Fr. James Martin’s (SJ) claims about LCWR’s vocations v CMSWR’s vocations.
Over at Amerika, our old friend, Fr. James Martin, SJ, wrote a piece in which he manipulated statistics so that it appeared that LCWR orders of nuns were getting as many vocations as the CMSWR nuns (the more traditional groups). That … Continue reading
“We did not ask for this fight, but we will not run from it.”
Thus, Card. Dolan about the latest insult tossed our way by the Obama Administration.
Cardinal: Obama Admin Lectured Bishops on Catholic Teaching
by Steven Ertelt
Cardinal Timothy Dolan, the … Continue reading
Jesuit-controlled America Magazine recently caved in to the Obama Administration in the matter of Pres. Obama’s attack on the 1st Amendment and on the Catholic Church. In their role as a pipe for the Magisterium of Nuns, the magazine undercut … Continue reading
I saw this by Matthew Archbold on the site of the Cardinal Newman Society about America Magazine‘s role in defending the Church against Pres. Obama’s attack on the 1st Amendment:
ARCHBOLD: America Mag Bails on the Fight for Religious Liberty
Run away! Run … Continue reading
From the Jesuit run America Magazine comes this with my emphases and comments.
The Universal Call
The Editors | SEPTEMBER 19, 2011
Ever since the Second Vatican Council spoke of the “universal call to holiness,” there has been a move to recognize more … Continue reading
From America Magazine with my emphases and comments:
Pastor Apologizes for Vatican’s "Insensitive" WordsAugust 18, 2010James Martin, S.J.
A pastor in Oak Park, Ill., has apologized to the women and women religious of his parish for the Vatican’s "insensitive and harsh … Continue reading
A couple things:
In America Magazine, Sean Michael Winters, who is wrong about most things, got something right about the ghastly MSM recent coverage clerical sexual abuse of children. He is a bit late in his examination of the case in … Continue reading
First, I have an ACTION ITEM for you WDTPRSers.I urge people to look at the petition "We’ve Waited Long Enough".
When you sign that petition, use a real name. On the dissident petition, there are more signatures but a very … Continue reading
From America Magazine with my emphases and comments.
I have a "modest proposal" at the end.
The piece was written by Fr. Michael G. Ryan, Rector of St. James Cathedral in Seattle, WA. Here is something about him from the site of … Continue reading