Search Fr. Z’s Blog
SHOPPING ONLINE? Please, come here first!
Your use of my Amazon link is a major part of my income. It helps to pay for insurance, groceries, everything. Please remember me when shopping online. Thanks in advance.
Try AmazonFresh Free Trial
Shop Amazon Gold Box - New Deals. Everyday
Shop Amazon Gift Cards - Instant Delivery or Free One-Day Shipping
Try Prime Discounted Monthly Offering
And you do need a Kindle! - HERE
Kindle Unlimited Membership Plans
About this blog…
“This blog is like a fusion of the Baroque ‘salon’ with its well-tuned harpsichord around which polite society gathered for entertainment and edification and, on the other hand, a Wild West “saloon” with its out-of-tune piano and swinging doors, where everyone has a gun and something to say. Nevertheless, we try to point our discussions back to what it is to be Catholic in this increasingly difficult age, to love God, and how to get to heaven.” – Fr. Z
Coat of Arms by D Burkart
Do you want to show some appreciation?
YOUR RECENT COMMENTS
- pjthom81: My point was missed. Pius IX did start out as a liberal of his time and governed as such for his first two years. Then he was… so to speak̷ 0;mugged by reality. His life was put...
- Bthompson: Sayomara, I don’ t think joining an Eastern Catholic Church would suit the Germans 217; fancy̷ 0; Minor Orders, Liturgical Rites held as nearly immutable, and ancient...
- Sayomara: If so many of these Germans want married priests why not join one of the Eastern Catholic groups. Yes you might be limited in this generation but your boys, God willing could enter the...
- TonyO: Did not Pius IX start out originally as a liberal (in 1846)? That sounds like one of the ridiculous accusation s invented by the ultra-righ t wing of the sedevacant ists, the ones who say...
- pjthom81: Did not Pius IX start out originally as a liberal (in 1846)?
- veritas vincit: Initially, my impression was that Pope Francis wanted to further no agenda but his own, not even an agenda close to his own. But after reading Imrahil 217;s post, I’m not...
- TradSeminarian: Thank-you Fr. Z for your answer to my question (I asked on behalf of a friend). This actually brings a lot of clarity to my mind on the difference between a mixed-marr iage and the...
- Cy: If you’ re unsure, the Truth is sure.
- Zephyrinus: Rest assured, dear Reverend Fr, that many, many, people are closely following your Pilgrimage and your Video Posts. Thank you, as always, for your Traditiona l teachings and encoura...
- Imrahil: Dear Bryan D. Boyle, thanks for the credit for Einstein, though I’m not so sure whether he himself would agree there, seeing how Germany treated him and his coreligion ists. Well,...
- mysticalrose: I wish he were backing away, but I fear it is just the usual Hegelian dialectic at play.
- Benedict Joseph: Ultimately there is no comfort provided the Magister article from last week. Mr. Magister’s reportage is always impeccable and he leaves it to the reader to come to their own...
- teomatteo: I hope that PF is realizing that when the history of his papacy is written he may not look favorable in the light of the Deposit of Faith. A hope.
- Kansan: Being included in this pilgrimage by viewing and listening to these detailed posts is such a blessing! Thank you Fr. Z!
- teomatteo: I also liked the birdsong, “but not a single sparrow can fall to the ground without your Father knowing it…& #8221;
- HvonBlumenthal: How do you read the premature resignatio n ofCard Marx, Father? Is it a sign of disappoint ment or do you think the libs have a Plan?
- acardnal: I really enjoyed your two minute recording of birdsong. Fascinatin g sounds!
- Kerry: ” didn’t agree, by the way…but couldn’t refuteR 21;. Quoth the venerable Ralph of Norton, “How sweet (that) is!”
- Bryan D. Boyle: Creeping incrementa lism? I’m not so sure observers of the scene aren’ ;t aware that the German and progressiv e hierarchy know exactly what they’ ;re doing. It...
- Mariana2: Thanks, Father!
- Mariana2: Thanks, Father! Spiffy! Sights and sounds that I never thought I would hear. Also, it’s much greener than I expected.
- PostCatholic: A second bishop, one from Cheyenne, WY, has now contradict ed the CNA article in the NCR. I imagine bishop calling bishop like mastodons across the primaeval swamps, the word “...
- Cy: Who does Francis say that Jesus is? Who did BXVI say that Jesus is?
- JustaSinner: Unfortunat ely, it has been the AssadsR 17; and their Ba’a thist party that had protected Christians from Islamic slaughter. ANOTHER reason to NOT give up the right to bear...
- teachermom24: God bless and keep you, dear Fr. Z! I had the privilege of living in Israel for four years and recently took my sons back for a pilgrimage . I am greatly enjoying your photos, videos...
Fr. Z’s VOICEMAIL
Nota bene: I do not answer these numbers or this Skype address. You won't get me "live". I check for messages regularly.
020 8133 4535
Don’t rely on popes, bishops and priests.
“Who is going to save our Church? Not our bishops, not our priests and religious. It is up to you, the people. You have the minds, the eyes, and the ears to save the Church. Your mission is to see that your priests act like priests, your bishops act like bishops.”
- Fulton Sheen
Therefore, ACTIVATE YOUR CONFIRMATION and get to work!
Send Snail Mail to Fr. Z
“The modern habit of doing ceremonial things unceremoniously is no proof of humility; rather it proves the offender's inability to forget himself in the rite, and his readiness to spoil for every one else the proper pleasure of ritual.”
- C.S. Lewis
This blog has to earn its keep!
PLEASE subscribe if it is useful.
That way I have steady income I can plan on, and you wind up regularly on my list of benefactors for whom I pray and for whom I periodically say Holy Mass.
For a one time donation...
I set up a
CONTINUE TO GIVE
account, which functions rather like PayPal. Some of you use it. Here is a QCode you can use with your smart phones. Try it!
Also, to receive a link to donate via Continue To Give using your smart phone SEND MESSAGE:
4827563 TO: 715-803-4772 (USA)
Some donations also come through CHASE. That works well. I don't think they take any percentage as fees.
I was at this conference last year. I’ll probably go this year! That’s how enjoyable it was. I’ve marked my calendar.
As for Latin…
"But if, in any layman who is indeed imbued with literature, ignorance of the Latin language, which we can truly call the 'catholic' language, indicates a certain sluggishness in his love toward the Church, how much more fitting it is that each and every cleric should be adequately practiced and skilled in that language!" - Pius XI
"Let us realize that this remark of Cicero (Brutus 37, 140) can be in a certain way referred to [young lay people]: 'It is not so much a matter of distinction to know Latin as it is disgraceful not to know it.'" - St. John Paul II
CLICK and say your daily offerings!
- Is Francis perhaps backing away a little from the progressivist, lib, German-driven agenda?
- HOLY LAND TLM PILGRIMAGE – Day 3: Primacy of Peter, Pan, NOT Peter Pan
- HOLY LAND TLM PILGRIMAGE – Day 2: Beatitudes, Fish and Fisherman
- Forty years ago… USSR v US at Lake Placid
- HOLY LAND TLM PILGRIMAGE – Day 0-1: Sunset, Sunrise, Son of God
- It seems Francis isn’t a big fan of homosexualist Jesuit James Martin
- My View For Awhile: This year, Jerusalem
- Pilgrimage to the Holy Land
- 17 February 1600: Giordano Bruno’s date with the stake
- JUST TOO COOL: All 12 Raphael Tapestries back in the Sistine Chapel
- Fathers! Votive options on Tuesday and Thursday after Sexagesima: Passion of the Lord and Reparation for Insults against the Eucharist
- Your Sunday Sermon Notes: Sexagesima and 6th Ordinary 2020
- Olive branches between Francis and Card. Müller
- ASK FATHER: What are the authentic rubrics, postures for lay people at the Traditional Latin Mass. Are we doing it wrong?
- All those synodizers, those dreamers of process, get a key thing wrong
- Card. Zen, Cops, and a Cappa Magna
- WDTPRS – Sexagesima Sunday: Some make it but many do not.
- After Querida Amazonia, Francis isn’t flavor of the month with seriously disappointed libs
- WDTPRS – 6th Sunday of Ordinary Time: “kissing the porch”
- Wherein Fr. Z responds cordially to The Remnant’s polite response – #UniteTheClans
- ASK FATHER: Adoption and “rescue” of frozen IVF embryos in cryogenic oppression through surrogate motherhood
- VIDEO – On EWTN – Fr. Murray and Dr. Royal about Exhortation, devastating interview with Card. Zen about China
- A priest is diagnosed with a brain tumor. See how he reacted.
- ASK FATHER: Two Catholics getting married in the Orthodox Church
- One year ago…. Opportunity was declared dead.
- New book by Francis strongly endorses priestly celibacy. Will Beans, Austen and crowd apologize to Card. Sarah and Benedict XVI?
- Something to warm up the heart a little
- ACTION ITEM! The “Birettas for Seminarians Project” needs URGENT ATTENTION!
- Thoughts about the Amazon Synod (“walking together”) document. Wherein Fr. Z opines also on something sad about #Bookgate
- 11 February 2013 – Benedict XVI announced abdication
Let us pray…
Grant unto thy Church, we beseech Thee, O merciful God, that She, being gathered together by the Holy Ghost, may be in no wise troubled by attack from her foes. O God, who by sin art offended and by penance pacified, mercifully regard the prayers of Thy people making supplication unto Thee,and turn away the scourges of Thine anger which we deserve for our sins. Almighty and Everlasting God, in whose Hand are the power and the government of every realm: look down upon and help the Christian people that the heathen nations who trust in the fierceness of their own might may be crushed by the power of thine Arm. Through our Lord Jesus Christ, Thy Son, who liveth and reigneth with Thee in the unity of the Holy Ghost, God, world without end. R. Amen.
Yes, Fr. Z is taking ads…
Because it matters what children read…
Be a “Zed-Head”!
I carry one of these super-strong rosaries in my spare mag pouch! The Swiss Guards have them too!
My "challenge coin" for my 25th anniversary of ordination in 2016.
Want one? I do exchanges with military and LEOs, etc. and you can make a donation.
PLEASE RESPOND. Pretty pleeeease?Loading ...
Please use my links when shopping! I depend on your help.
WDTPRS POLLLoading ...
“Rigid”? Pfffft. “Faithful!” No priest’s desk or kitchen is complete without one, for young, old, and priests in general.
Fr. Z’s stuff is everywhere
Help support Fr. Z’s Gospel of Life work at no cost to you. Do you need a Real Estate Agent? Calling these people is the FIRST thing you should do!
GREAT causes to support
Help Monks in Wyoming (coffee – UPDATED LINK) and Norcia (beer) and the wonderful "Soap Sisters" of Summit, NJ!
Please follow me on Twitter!
If you travel internationally, this is a super useful gizmo for your mobile internet data. I use one. If you get one through my link, I get data rewards.
Tag Archives: Minnesota
This is the sort of thing we native Minnesotans get into when the winter starts to drag. And, in honor of the UM Golden Gophers upcoming defeat of Penn State later today…
From a friend from back in my native Minnesota who has been living in China for some years now. He is Catholic and has been doing his best. It seems that he is helping to build where he is something … Continue reading
BEFORE ANYTHING ELSE – MINNESOTANS – GET OUT THE VOTE! The campaign in favor of the Minnesota Marriage Amendment is heating up. Today there was a TV ad released: [wp_youtube]YqO9_I2akOQ[/wp_youtube] There will consequences of this amendment does not pass and … Continue reading
Minnesota is ground zero right now for defense of true marriage. The Church and right thinking people (in the matter of marriage) have a steep hill to ascend. The mainstream media is in control of the “topics” (a technical term … Continue reading
My fellow Minnesotans will have the opportunity on election day this November to vote in favor of an amendment to the Minnesota state constitution which would define marriage as being between one man and one woman. Minnesota is ground-zero for … Continue reading
From Media Report: Minn. Supreme Court Rejects ‘Repressed Memory’ Junk Science Against Priest, Media Yawns Last Wednesday, the Minnesota Supreme Court flatly rejected the psychological theory of “repressed memory” as bogus. The Court declared that scientific studies that have tried … Continue reading
At a conference not long ago, I learned that, in Minnesota, only 2% of those polled were undecided. That means everything hinges on voter turn out. Now this comes from KSTP: SurveyUSA/KSTP Poll: Marriage Amendment Supporters Lead Among Likely Voters … Continue reading
Readers want me to fisk one of our favorite contributors to the National Catholic Fishwrap, the perennial Sr. Maureen Fiedler. Alas, I two tags for Sister, the other is here. This week Sister has knuckle-slapped the Bishops of Wisconsin … Continue reading
I hope by now you have watched the Catholic News Service videos about the SSPX. Meanwhile, in my native place of Minnesota – ground zero for defense of true marriage – comes this! WARNING! The light reflected from all that … Continue reading
I wanted to add a follow up to this: MINNESOTA READERS – WDTPRS POLL For November 2012 there is on the ballot in Minnesota an amendment to the state constitution which would define marriage as being between one man and one … Continue reading
I have something important to say to fellow Minnesotans. But first, I want to find out how many of you readers actually are Minnesotans. A quick poll.
In my native place, Minnesota, the Catholic Bishops have banded together in a defense of true marriage against a redefinition of marriage to include something unnatural. Archdiocese of St. Paul and Minneapolis. They are working together to support passage of … Continue reading
Let there be sung Te Deum and Non Nobis… wellllll…. Partly Nobis. This is from the Minneapolis Star Tribune. My emphases and comments. Budget cuts close 6 Planned Parenthood clinics in Minnesota Article by: JEREMY OLSON Planned Parenthood cites drop … Continue reading
The Catholic Spirit, Archdiocesan newspaper of my native place, has a piece about the testimony in defense of marriage given to the House Civil Law Committee of the Minnesota Legislature by His Excellency Most. Rev. Paul Sirba, Bishop of Duluth. … Continue reading
The Minneapolis Star-Tribune on7 February printed an editorial calling for no new limits on abortion rights. My emphases and comments with editing. Reject new limits on abortion rights If ending a pregnancy is legal, income should not be a barrier. … Continue reading