Search Fr. Z’s Blog
SHOPPING ONLINE? Please, always come here first!Enter Amazon through my link, the image below (they took away our search box!), and I will get a small percentage of what you spend. (Pssst - Can't see it? Turn off your "ad-blocker" for this site!)
Here's a generic "catholic" search start point for Amazon:
And you do need a Kindle! - HERE
“This blog is like a fusion of the Baroque ‘salon’ with its well-tuned harpsichord around which polite society gathered for entertainment and edification and, on the other hand, a Wild West “saloon” with its out-of-tune piano and swinging doors, where everyone has a gun and something to say. Nevertheless, we try to point our discussions back to what it is to be Catholic in this increasingly difficult age, to love God, and how to get to heaven.” – Fr. Z
YOUR RECENT COMMENTS
- Dan: My wife has homeschool ed our children for the past 15 years. When she started it was difficult but over the past few years has become the “in& #8221; thing to do and resources are more...
- amenamen: An official of the very secular IMF tosses around a term for a seldom used canonical punishment , with which most Catholics are unfamiliar . We may presume that he himself does not really...
- pseudomodo: I happened to notice the little ‘Fre udian̶ 1; accent slip at the beginning of Fr. Murrays article!! “Eve r since the publicatio n of Amoris Laetitia, doubts have been...
- Anita Moore, O.P.(lay): Oh, so liberals DO like canonical penalties.
- Tara Tremuit: ” This is religion pure and undefiled . . . to look after orphans and widows in their tribulatio n — and to keep himself unspotted from the world.R 21; The great tragic...
- Aquinas Gal: The book “In the Beginning& #8221; by Dr Eduardo Echeverria (a defense of Church teaching on homosexual ity) has an excellent chapter about treating personal experience as divine...
- Aquinas Gal: From the same people who continuall y criticized and dissented from the teaching of Popes John Paul II and Benedict.
- HighMass: Yes Tony, lets get rid of those who speak the truth. As seen in the last few years those who speak up are sacked or demoted, etc Our Lady said in the end her immaculate Heart will trium...
- New Sister: @AA Cunningham , what is “Dom us Dei” (encyclica l?); could you provide a link to it? (even if only in Latin) I was unable to find it via search on vatican.va . Thank you,
- Mike: As I understand it, the Basilica falls under the aegis of USCCB. It would seem that a quiet word from Cardinal DiNardo to Msgr. Rossi could restore the rights of EF celebrants with little...
- Fallibilissimo: I can’ t believe what I’m reading here. Someone please tell me this is a mistake. Is it April 1st? Interdict EWTN? Get rid of Raymond Arroyo? Oh but let me guess, these...
- Dan: @gabrial I totally agree that confession s need to be offered more regularly in deaneries. I like your idea of rotations. The last time I was at an SSPX Mass last summer, there was a priests...
- L.: I thought the L.A. cathedral was called the “Taj Mahoney. 8221;
- Michael Haz: Well, as a last-ditch defense, Raymond Arroyo could change his name to a Chinese name, and then be full accomodate d in all matters.
- aquinasadmirer: Tempura has special meaning at our house, as my wife is Japanese. Each Feb 6 (St. Paul Miki) we have Japanese food, and always include tempura. It’s a very concrete way to...
- Eric: The whole interdict, retweeted, is hyperbole. Even the author, hopefully, but surely Spadaro, knows it is not in the cards. But, it is probably a shot across the bow intended to have a...
- hmschoolmom: I wouldnR 17;t say pretty much impossible . Look what just happened on Relevant Radio. They bought Immaculate Heart and then quickly “sil enced̶ 1; certain voices.
- wmeyer: And yet, no interdict called for on the Fishwrap. [And yet… not for the Fishwrap.]
- semperficatholic: “Pap al confidante Father Antonio Spadaro retweeted a call for EWTN to be severely censured “until they get rid of Raymond Arroyo.” 8221; And Judas left many offspring!
- cpt-tom: This does not surprise me at all. The Holy Father has proven to be very authoritar ian, behold his treatment of Traditiona l religious orders like the Franciscan Friars of the Immaculate ,...
- Knight from 13904: I totally agree with your comment about the beauty of our older more traditiona l churches. There is an excellent book on this topic called “Ugl y As Sin” . As far as...
- teomatteo: “Whe n it is time to raise money, do the fundraiser s publish literature with whitewashe d walls, bizarre interiors, and spaces that remind you of a parking ramp? SURE they do!...
- Gabriel Syme: Nothing says “Catholic” like a beige wall with a clump of weeds in a vase and cliches like PEACE on a rainbow made by 5th graders. Indeed! In my locality, a common favourite is a...
- cpdog: Hollywood does this not only for churches but for Catholic religious garb as well. Nuns in movies (shock) are dressed like nuns! Why? Because that’ ;s what people expect nuns to look...
- Benedict Joseph: Yesterday Rorate Caeli posted an article which clearly articulate d “wha t sells̶ 1; without saying much at all. It is something to ponder — and even to weep over....
CLICK and say your daily offering!
- Fr. Murray on “lived experience”, “accompaniment”, “conscience”
- More news from the New catholic Red Guard
- Making the Church appealing. What “sells”?
- LENTCAzT 2018 08 – Wednesday in the 1st Week of Lent: Never ending combat
- 20 Feb – Feast of Sts Francisco and Jacinta of Fatima
- Of “paradigm shift” interest
- Spain: young people dancing a jota in reparation for blasphemy against the Blessed Virgin
- Mega-Masses and too many Hosts
- The State v. Self-Reliance
- LENTCAzT 2018 07 – Tuesday in the 1st Week of Lent: subtle temptation
- Attacks on the family
- My View For Awhile: Capital Edition
- Books for boys. Suggested titles and an additional point.
- LENTCAzT 2018 06 – Monday in the 1st Week of Lent: “I warned you!”
- Wherein Fr Longenecker schools @JamesMartinSJ
- Your Sunday Sermon Notes
- WDTPRS 1st Sunday of Lent (N.O.): The Lenten “Sacrament”
- LENTCAzT 2018 05 – 1st Sunday of Lent: Anger and Reason
- Commandments are NOT mere “ideals” from which some are excused because, “They’re tooo haaard!” Wherein Fr. Z rants.
- JUST TOO COOL – Cops, ashes, and podcasts
- VIDEO Fr. Murray and Prof. Royal on some tough issues
- LENTCAzT 2018 04 – Ash Saturday: Getting ready for… it.
- Pontifical Requiem Mass for a great lover of the Church’s sacred liturgy
- LENTCAzT 2018 03 – Ash Friday: Grant me a little more time
- Role of #MSM in mass shootings: If it bleeds, it leads. Angry @fatherz asks fearful questions
- Wherein Fr. Z rants in the wake of the Florida school mass murder
- Friday after Ash Wednesday: Feast of the Crown of Thorns
- LENTCAzT 2018 02 – Ash Thursday: What you are I was, what I am you shall be.
- Your #AshWednesday Sermon Notes #ashtag – AUDIO Fr Z
- Ash Wednesday, Fasting, Abstaining, and You – with notes on alligator, endothermic moonfish, and muskrat
Let us pray…
Grant unto thy Church, we beseech Thee, O merciful God, that She, being gathered together by the Holy Ghost, may be in no wise troubled by attack from her foes. O God, who by sin art offended and by penance pacified, mercifully regard the prayers of Thy people making supplication unto Thee,and turn away the scourges of Thine anger which we deserve for our sins. Almighty and Everlasting God, in whose Hand are the power and the government of every realm: look down upon and help the Christian people that the heathen nations who trust in the fierceness of their own might may be crushed by the power of thine Arm. Through our Lord Jesus Christ, Thy Son, who liveth and reigneth with Thee in the unity of the Holy Ghost, God, world without end. R. Amen.
New miscellaneous releases and events
Yes, Fr. Z is taking ads…
A great hymnal…
Because it matters what children read…
I carry one of these super-strong rosaries in my spare mag pouch! The Swiss Guards have them too!
Because you don’t know when you are going to need to move fast or get along without the supermarket…
PLEASE RESPOND. Pretty pleeeease?Loading ...
WDTPRS POLLLoading ...
Fr. Z’s stuff is everywhere
Help support Fr. Z’s Gospel of Life work at no cost to you. Do you need a Real Estate Agent? Calling these people is the FIRST thing you should do!
GREAT causes to support
Help Monks in Wyoming (coffee – UPDATED LINK) and Norcia (beer) and the wonderful "Soap Sisters" of Summit, NJ!
Please follow me on Twitter!
If you travel internationally, this is a super useful gizmo for your mobile internet data. I use one. If you get one through my link, I get data rewards.
A book by an old friend…
Monthly Archives: February 2016
I had an email from Juventutem (too bad about that J) saying that
Hungary’s Bertalan Kiss, has become the President of Fœderatio Internationalis Juventutem. HERE
In addition to co-founding and leading the annual Hungarian pilgrimage, Peregrinatio Fidei, since 2012, Bertalan Kiss helped … Continue reading
FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
Joint Statement of the Archdiocese of Chicago and the Institute of Christ the King
SHRINE OF CHRIST THE KING TO BE STABILIZED
Archdiocese Deeds Building and Property to the Institute of Christ the King Sovereign Priest
CHICAGO, IL (February 28, 2016) … Continue reading
Heading back to the Cupboard Under The Stairs for a change of clothes.
Sometimes life throws you a middle seat.
Next leg…. almost there…
Three years ago today, Pope Benedict XVI abdicated.
My posts from that sad, remarkable day, HERE.
For your interest and edification, Benedict’s Last Official Speech.
This is amusing via PJ Media:
Time Magazine: Evelyn Waugh, Leading Woman Writer
This never would have happened back in my day. David Harsanyi caught the flub:
TIME magazine asks: “What do 1 million reading lists reveal about higher education today?” [Indeed, what? Are … Continue reading
Today is the feast of St. Gabriel of Our Lady of Sorrows, Gabriel Possenti, according to the calendar of the Novus Ordo. In the older, traditional Missal we find that 28 February was given to him. 27 February is … Continue reading
At the Getty Museum in Los Angeles there is now a splendid exhibit of tapestries of Louis XIV of France.
This exhibit prompted a friend to forward the following about the birth of King Louis XIV and about one of my … Continue reading
How stupid do things have to get before we either come to our senses and start behaving normally or have violent whiplashes?
From CBS in Philly.
Catholic League Wrestler Will Not Wrestle Girl In District Tournament
PHILADELPHIA (CBS) — After the Philadelphia Archdiocese … Continue reading
I just had some super news – truly – about a great development for the New Evangelization.
I can’t say what it is yet because the right people have to make this public. Still it is exciting enough that I want … Continue reading
From a reader…
With contraception back in the news, a hypothetical question came to my mind. If a couple that has sterilized themselves converts to the faith, what would the church require of them? Contraceptive marital acts are immoral, so would the church require … Continue reading
From a reader…
A committed Church of England man, Steve, married Jenny, a Catholic who had baptism, 1st communion, confirmation in the Faith. She in full knowledge of her large Catholic family did not seek a dispensation for their wedding in a CofE church. … Continue reading
Here’s some good news! Via Church Militant.
His Excellency Most Reverend Michael Burbidge, Bishop of Raleigh, has forbidden a dissident priest from talking at a Catholic institution in the diocese.
Bishop Michael Burbidge is rescinding an invitation to Fr. Michael Crosby, OFM … Continue reading
From a reader…
I’ve been reading the Celebration of Mass by J.B. o Connell and at the section concerning the consecration of the Host O’Connell writes that a priest should not say a vocal prayer at the elevation, obviously, but the … Continue reading
The Girl Scouts have gone crazy, which was predictable. Too bad.
His Excellency Most Reverend Robert Carlson, Archbishop of St. Louis has cautioned the faithful under his charge about involvement with the Girl Scouts. Material has been posted on the archdiocesan … Continue reading
My friend Fr. Richard Heilman has a good post at his place, Roman Catholic Man.
Fr. Heilman responded to something asserted by Fr. Dwight Longenecker at Pathet… at Patheos. HERE Fr. Longenecker writes: Is the Latin Mass the Magic Bullet? The … Continue reading
Off we go.
They are trying to get flights out before snow starts in Chicago.
Do you ever find yourself in line to board and suddenly wonder if you locked your car?
It is like a rugby scrum near the gate.
They advertise … Continue reading
Be sure to read what I have posted in the past about PVS patients, people in a “Persistent Vegetative State”. HERE
Especially, I urge you to look at this article.
Read everything and THINK about end of life decisions.
I have written many … Continue reading
From the Becket Fund For Religious Liberty:
The world watched while the Pope, during his US tour, made a surprise visit to the Sisters “in support of the Sisters’ legal fight.” As you may know, on Holy Wednesday, March 23, … Continue reading
Do you have any good news about life to share with the readership?
Let us know.