SHOPPING ONLINE? Please, come here first!
About this blog…
“This blog is like a fusion of the Baroque ‘salon’ with its well-tuned harpsichord around which polite society gathered for entertainment and edification and, on the other hand, a Wild West “saloon” with its out-of-tune piano and swinging doors, where everyone has a gun and something to say. Nevertheless, we try to point our discussions back to what it is to be Catholic in this increasingly difficult age, to love God, and how to get to heaven.” – Fr. Z
Coat of Arms by D Burkart
Wonderful about St. Joseph! “Terror of Demons”
- The most evident mark of God’s anger and the most terrible castigation He can inflict upon the world are manifested when He permits His people to fall into the hands of clerics who are priests more in name than in deed, priests who practice the cruelty of ravening wolves rather than the charity and affection of devoted shepherds.
St. John Eudes
Donate using VENMO
GREAT BEER from Traditional Benedictine Monks in Italy
CLICK and say your daily offerings!
Do you want to show some appreciation?
Do you have a faithful Catholic website that needs competent and reliable tech support?
NEW OPPORTUNITY – 10% off with code: FATHERZ10
Fr. Z’s VOICEMAIL
Nota bene: I do not answer these numbers or this Skype address. You won't get me "live". I check for messages regularly.
020 8133 4535
YOUR RECENT COMMENTS
Books which you must have.
This REALLY helps! And it’s great coffee (and tea)
I use this when I travel both in these USA and abroad. Very useful. Fast enough for Zoom. I connect my DMR (ham radio) through it. If you use my link, they give me more data. A GREAT back up.
Don’t rely on popes, bishops and priests.
“He [Satan] will set up a counter-Church which will be the ape of the Church because, he the devil, is the ape of God. It will have all the notes and characteristics of the Church, but in reverse and emptied of its divine content. It will be a mystical body of the anti-Christ that will in all externals resemble the mystical body of Christ. In desperate need for God, whom he nevertheless refuses to adore, modern man in his loneliness and frustration will hunger more and more for membership in a community that will give him enlargement of purpose, but at the cost of losing himself in some vague collectivity.”
“Who is going to save our Church? Not our bishops, not our priests and religious. It is up to you, the people. You have the minds, the eyes, and the ears to save the Church. Your mission is to see that your priests act like priests, your bishops act like bishops.”
- Fulton Sheen
Therefore, ACTIVATE YOUR CONFIRMATION and get to work!
Send Snail Mail to Fr. Z
- “The modern habit of doing ceremonial things unceremoniously is no proof of humility; rather it proves the offender's inability to forget himself in the rite, and his readiness to spoil for every one else the proper pleasure of ritual.”
- C.S. Lewis
This blog has to earn its keep!
PLEASE subscribe via PayPal if it is useful.
That way I have steady income I can plan on, and you wind up regularly on my list of benefactors for whom I pray and for whom I periodically say Holy Mass.
In view of the rapidly changing challenges I now face, I would like to add more $10/month subscribers. Will you please help?
For a one time donation...
As for Latin…
"But if, in any layman who is indeed imbued with literature, ignorance of the Latin language, which we can truly call the 'catholic' language, indicates a certain sluggishness in his love toward the Church, how much more fitting it is that each and every cleric should be adequately practiced and skilled in that language!" - Pius XI
"Let us realize that this remark of Cicero (Brutus 37, 140) can be in a certain way referred to [young lay people]: 'It is not so much a matter of distinction to know Latin as it is disgraceful not to know it.'" - St. John Paul II
- The power of the traditional liturgy to open people up to the Catholic Faith must never be underestimated.
- Just Too Cool: Salt and Pepper repurposed
- ASK FATHER: Devotions for months and days of the week
- “Gregorian Mass” match ups: available priests with people who have requests
- ACTION ITEM! URGENT PRAYER SUGGESTION! Archbp. Carroll’s “Prayer for Government”
- ASK FATHER: How can we help priests who are in “hot water” because they are traditional?
- Your Sunday Sermon Notes: 4th Sunday after Pentecost (N.O. 14th Sunday)
- African Zairian Rite celebrated in St. Peter’s Basilica – UPATED: Meanwhile, Down Under….
- WDTPRS – 4th Sunday after Pentecost: What is “devotion?
- ROME 22/06 – Day 32: My View For Awhile
- 1 July – Most Precious Blood and also the Feasts of St. Junipero Serra and St. Aaron, brother of Moses
- ROME 22/06 – Day 31: Someone saw the list… no… the Letter!
- Look at more of “Desiderio desideravi”
- You have seen the logo for the 2025 Jubilee? – UPDATED
- 29 June 1972. Paul VI says, “the smoke of Satan has entered the Church of God”
- Francis’ NEW “Desiderio desideravi” an Apostolic Letter “on the liturgical formation of the people of God” – an attempt to explain Traditionis custodes, to calm the storm
- Batten down the hatches!
- ASK FATHER: Are we obliged to avoid businesses which will pay for employees’ abortion?
- ROME 22/06 – Day 28: Guess the meat
- In your goodness, pray for falsely accused priests and canceled priests
- ROME 22/06 – Day 26: Indulgences and indulgences
- Your Sunday Sermon Notes: 3rd Sunday after Pentecost (N.O. 13th Sunday)
- ROME 22/06 – Day 25: Really day 26, but… hey!
- ROME 22/06 – Day 24: “talkin’ ’bout my g-g-generation”
- It’s as if the stars aligned on 24 June
- ROME 22/06 – Day 23: Resistance is futile
- On this Feast of the Sacred Heart, when SCOTUS overturned Roe, remember that “Abortion Pill” use will be pushed hard by the Left, and that there is a SAFE REVERSAL after the first pill. @HeartbeatIntl
- US SUPREME COURT issued Opinion on Dobbs v. Jackson – ROE and CASEY OVERTURNED
- “Perdonamose!” St. John’s Birthday Feast and Midsummer Snails
- ASK FATHER: Pork butt for the Sacred Heart
Let us pray…
Grant unto thy Church, we beseech Thee, O merciful God, that She, being gathered together by the Holy Ghost, may be in no wise troubled by attack from her foes. O God, who by sin art offended and by penance pacified, mercifully regard the prayers of Thy people making supplication unto Thee,and turn away the scourges of Thine anger which we deserve for our sins. Almighty and Everlasting God, in whose Hand are the power and the government of every realm: look down upon and help the Christian people that the heathen nations who trust in the fierceness of their own might may be crushed by the power of thine Arm. Through our Lord Jesus Christ, Thy Son, who liveth and reigneth with Thee in the unity of the Holy Ghost, God, world without end. R. Amen.
Yes, Fr. Z is taking ads…
Be a “Zed-Head”!
My "challenge coin" for my 25th anniversary of ordination in 2016.
Want one? I do exchanges with military and LEOs, etc.
PLEASE RESPOND. Pretty pleeeease?Loading ...
This is really useful when travelling… and also when you aren’t and you need backup internet NOW! I use this for my DMR “Zednet” hotspot when I’m mobile. It’s a ham radio thing.
If you travel internationally, this is a super useful gizmo for your mobile internet data. I use one. If you get one through my link, I get data rewards.
Please use my links when shopping! I depend on your help.
WDTPRS POLLLoading ...
Fr. Z’s stuff is everywhere
Help support Fr. Z’s Gospel of Life work at no cost to you. Do you need a Real Estate Agent? Calling these people is the FIRST thing you should do!
GREAT causes to support
Monthly Archives: January 2016
A new movie will soon be released. Here are a couple trailers. I, for one, look forward to seeing it.
From a reader… QUAERITUR: I’m a consevitive ctholic teen and my friends are not and when they ask about my faith I try my best to answer correctly but then we get to Gay’s and why don’t we except them, … Read More
You have to both chuckle and wince over Michael Sean Winters’ obsession with Acton Institute. There is no subject with which the Wile E. Coyote of contemporary liberal Catholicism cannot associate Acton. Writing about Pope Francis’ recently released Message for World … Read More
Here is something very cool for all of you to enjoy for free! At Spaceweather we get the details about how all sorts of planets – alas, as far as I know not Planet X – will be visible in … Read More
I occasionally turn on a regular network TV station. My gorge rises and I flee back to books, cable news or DVDs. I understand that there is now a TV series called Lucifer. I won’t be seeing that one. However, … Read More
PODCAzT 140: Paul VI’s 1966 Letter Sacrificium laudis on the use of Latin and Gregorian chant by religious
It has been quite awhile since I made a PODCAzT, over a year, if you don’t count the offerings during Advent and Lent. I was inspired to get back into it by something I saw at the website of the … Read More
In honor of the Apostle to the Gentiles let us make a rapid comparison of the Collects, or “Opening Prayers”, for today’s feast. We’ll look first at the 1962 Missale Romanum and then the 2002 edition. The Collect is nearly … Read More
From a readerette: Could you answer this for both the EF and the OF? Is the “Domine non sum dignus” a part of the Ordinary of the Mass that pertains to Sacrosanctum Concilium 54, and so would be something that … Read More
Was there a good point in the sermon you heard for your Mass of Sunday obligation? Let us know what it was. For my part, I stressed the importance of confession. Our sins hurt everyone. We are all in this … Read More
I like this story. From CNA: This sword-wielding Samurai just moved closer to sainthood! Vatican City, Jan 23, 2016 / 04:02 am (CNA/EWTN News).- The martyrdom of a 16th-century Samurai who died for his Catholic faith was approved this week … Read More
Pope Francis: “there cannot be confusion between the family desired by God and every other type of union”
The other day His Holiness Pope Francis gave the annual address to the Roman Rota. HERE The Rota, the Tribunal Apostolicum Rotae Romanae or Apostolic Tribunal of the Roman Rota is the Church’s highest appellate court. It takes its name from the round … Read More
Fr. John Hunwicke has an interesting comment about the FSSP over at his excellency blog Mutual Enrichment. This is the second of a short series. He has a penchant for chain-posts, it seems. You can find the rest over there. Meanwhile, … Read More
I received an amusing note (and various SMS) from a friend in KC whose daughter is stuck on a bus in the snow after the March for Life. A priest on the bus said Mass. Here is a photo… grainy … Read More
Now for another edition of Ham Radio Saturday. I created a page for the List of YOUR callsigns. HERE Chime in or drop me a note if your call doesn’t appear in the list. I’ve been really busy lately, so I … Read More
In the traditional Roman calendar this Sunday is called Septuagesima, Latin for the “Seventieth” day before Easter. Already! It is quite early this year. This number, 70, is more symbolic than arithmetical. The Sundays which follow are Sexagesima (“sixtieth”) and … Read More
Contrary to tweets – the Extraordinary Form Mass in honor of Nellie Gray IS GOING AHEAD! There was word put out that it was cancelled. NO! Even the parish website (as I write) indicates that Mass was cancelled. NO! IT IS … Read More
Each week I write an eclectic column of precisely 400 words called “Omnium Gatherum“ for the UK’s best Catholic weekly The Catholic Herald. This column, which follow my four year series on translations, is now in its second year. For this last week’s (22 … Read More
From a reader… QUAERITUR: Trying to get an annulment. Can’t find his baptismal record. Why is it so important? Well! That was pithy. There is a Latin adage from ancient Rome: Verba volant, scripta manent… Words merely spoken fly away, … Read More