Search Fr. Z’s Blog
SHOPPING ONLINE? Please, come here first!
Your use of my Amazon link is a major part of my income. It helps to pay for insurance, groceries, everything. Please remember me when shopping online. Thanks in advance.
Try AmazonFresh Free Trial
Shop Amazon Gold Box - New Deals. Everyday
Shop Amazon Gift Cards - Instant Delivery or Free One-Day Shipping
Try Prime Discounted Monthly Offering
And you do need a Kindle! - HERE
Kindle Unlimited Membership Plans
About this blog…
“This blog is like a fusion of the Baroque ‘salon’ with its well-tuned harpsichord around which polite society gathered for entertainment and edification and, on the other hand, a Wild West “saloon” with its out-of-tune piano and swinging doors, where everyone has a gun and something to say. Nevertheless, we try to point our discussions back to what it is to be Catholic in this increasingly difficult age, to love God, and how to get to heaven.” – Fr. Z
Coat of Arms by D Burkart
CLICK and say your daily offerings!
Do you want to show some appreciation?
Do you have a faithful Catholic website that needs competent and reliable tech support?
YOUR RECENT COMMENTS
- JesusFreak84: Two of them look a lot like their father. Only the Pope Emeritus looks a lot like his mother. I hope being the last living Ratzinger doesn̵ 7;t bring the former Holy Father to his...
- Tom: How would one know whether the host had been consecrate d?
- Joe: I refuse to believe that Our Lord, who knows our thoughts, would allow.His body to be desecrated . The exact mechanism effecting this is unknown. Call it “ins tant deconfecti on.”
- Chris Garton-Zavesky: ” While many have and will accept the gift Christ won by the pouring out of His Precious Blood, not all will.̶ 1; It appears to me straightfo rwardly obvious that...
- Charlotte Allen: Commemorat io sancti Aaron, de tribu Levi, qui a Moyse fratre oleo sacro unctus est sacerdos Veteris Testamenti et in monte Hor depositus. Commemorat ion of St. Aaron, from the...
- Chrisc: Don’ t negotiate with terrorists . Preach to them, convert them, but don’ t negotiate.
- JustaSinner: Everyone is waiting for Hugo First̷ 0;BE HUGO FIRST and LEAD, NOT FOLLOW. Organize civil patrols, multiple people watching statues. Cellphone cameras with 911 on speed dial....
- RosaryRose: I am ready to fight back. Any ideas? I’m offering up, fasting, praying the rosary with LifeSite news daily, and our Pastor has agreed to learn to TLM if I can get enough support for...
- Gab: Specifical ly beheadings , eh? Hmmmm. Wonder who would do that? Sounds like a religious hate crime to me.
- grateful: In Paradisum – Requiem – Faure https://ww w.youtube. com/watch? v=rvYt-QA9 vT0
- Mariana2: In paradisum deducant te Angeli.
- JustaSinner: Another what if thought experiment … What if Satanists steal a Host and are intending to use it in a black perversion of the Holy Mass… ;what can a Catholic in good consci...
- monstrance: johnr , Wasilla would make sense – But no, the school was in the middle of Anchorage.
- OssaSola: Oh dear! I am at least glad that his brother could be with him.
- GHP: As the old phrase goes when questioned : “Why do you carry a gun?” “Because a cop is too heavy.” Or: “Whe n seconds matter the police are minutes away.̶ 1;
- Gerard Plourde: My only concern (and this is coming from me wearing my attorney hat) would be the possibilit y of being crosswise with the parish’s or diocese’s liability insurer in the event a...
- xavier: Father, Sigh. What is about guns that freaks out these beatos? (aka people who view life as some kind of angelic outlook) Would they react similarly if it was swords and other assor...
- Suburbanbanshee: Amen.
- Joy1985: Eternal rest grant unto him O Lord and let perpetual light shine upon him.
- philosophicallyfrank: Ah! St. Frances of Rome, I grew-up in the parish in Cicero, Il. From 1943 thru 1952 I went to St. Frances of Rome elementary school (K – 8). I was in the choir for 5 of...
- Fr. John Zuhlsdorf: Josephus Corvus says: they could be coming for your fish fry next As a transplant here, my impression is that they would have to pry their fish fries from their cold, dead...
- Josephus Corvus: [I’ll bet a steady diet of Wisconsin parish fish fries has killed more people than guns sold in that gun show.] Father, please don’ t give our illustriou s leadership in...
- Semper Gumby: [I’ll bet a steady diet of Wisconsin parish fish fries has killed more people than guns sold in that gun show.] *chuckle* Deo gratias for that Catholic parish and the Second Amendme...
- Semper Gumby: “Eve n a free-think ing deist asserted that humanity has an “inalienab le right to life” given by the Creator. 8221; A solid point by Bishop Hying. Excellent quote and book by...
- Texdon: I don’ t live in the diocese of Madison but I am beginning to like Bishop Donald Hying the more I read about him. Perhaps having the gun show in an unused Catholic school in a small...
Fr. Z’s VOICEMAIL
Nota bene: I do not answer these numbers or this Skype address. You won't get me "live". I check for messages regularly.
020 8133 4535
Books which you must have.
Don’t rely on popes, bishops and priests.
“Who is going to save our Church? Not our bishops, not our priests and religious. It is up to you, the people. You have the minds, the eyes, and the ears to save the Church. Your mission is to see that your priests act like priests, your bishops act like bishops.”
- Fulton Sheen
Therefore, ACTIVATE YOUR CONFIRMATION and get to work!
Send Snail Mail to Fr. Z
“The modern habit of doing ceremonial things unceremoniously is no proof of humility; rather it proves the offender's inability to forget himself in the rite, and his readiness to spoil for every one else the proper pleasure of ritual.”
- C.S. Lewis
This blog has to earn its keep!
PLEASE subscribe if it is useful.
That way I have steady income I can plan on, and you wind up regularly on my list of benefactors for whom I pray and for whom I periodically say Holy Mass.
For a one time donation...
I set up a
CONTINUE TO GIVE
account, which functions rather like PayPal. Some of you use it. Here is a QCode you can use with your smart phones. Try it!
Also, to receive a link to donate via Continue To Give using your smart phone SEND MESSAGE:
4827563 TO: 715-803-4772 (USA)
Some donations also come through CHASE. That works well. I don't think they take any percentage as fees.
I was at this conference last year. IT IS ON FOR THIS YEAR!
As for Latin…
"But if, in any layman who is indeed imbued with literature, ignorance of the Latin language, which we can truly call the 'catholic' language, indicates a certain sluggishness in his love toward the Church, how much more fitting it is that each and every cleric should be adequately practiced and skilled in that language!" - Pius XI
"Let us realize that this remark of Cicero (Brutus 37, 140) can be in a certain way referred to [young lay people]: 'It is not so much a matter of distinction to know Latin as it is disgraceful not to know it.'" - St. John Paul II
- ASK FATHER: Signing a contract, like for a credit card, but with 35 pages of small print.
- 2 July – Traditional Latin Mass – Visitation of the BVM – LIVE VIDEO: 1200h CDT (GMT/UTC -5)
- 1 July – Most Precious Blood and St. Aaron and St. Junipero Serra
- The lunacy is spreading: Northern Ontario
- ASK FATHER: Should we ransom Hosts that have been taken so they are not desecrated? At what cost?
- R.I.P. Msgr Georg Ratzinger
- 1 July – Traditional Latin Mass – Most Precious Blood – LIVE VIDEO: 1200h CDT (GMT/UTC -5)
- Fishwrap’s case of the vapors over a annual, rural gun show hosted in an unused Catholic school
- 30 June – Traditional Latin Mass – Commemoration of St. Paul – LIVE VIDEO: 1200h CDT (GMT/UTC -5)
- NEW ADDITIONS TO THE FAMILY! Three more relics have arrived. Fr. Z tells a story.
- Searching for a specific reader who sent something from my wishlist
- SCOTUS decision on Louisiana abortion clinic law.
- 29 June – Traditional Latin Mass – Sts. Peter and Paul, Apostles – LIVE VIDEO: 1200h CDT (GMT/UTC -5)
- Your Sunday Sermon notes – 4th Sunday after Pentecost (13th Ordinary) 2020
- CQ CQ CQ – #HamRadio: Fun with Morse
- Concerning statues
- Archbp. Cordilone recites the Exorcism where a statue of St. Junipero Serra was town down. OORAH!
- First Blessings by new priests. Indulgenced? NO! Interesting Latin texts. And Fr. Z rants.
- 27 June – Traditional Latin Mass – Our Lady of Perpetual Help – LIVE VIDEO: 1200h CDT (GMT/UTC -5)
- COVID-1984 UPDATE: Doctors say Communion on the tongue while kneeling is safer than Communion on the hand
- WDTPRS – 4th Sunday after Pentecost: “O Captain, my Captain!”
- 26 June – Traditional Latin Mass – Sts. John & Paul, Martyrs – LIVE VIDEO: 1200h CDT (GMT/UTC -5)
- BOOK: The Next Pope: The Leading Cardinal Candidates by Edward Pentin
- ASK FATHER: Can a Roman Catholic in good conscience date a Sedevacantist?
- ASK FATHER: What to do with old occult objects after repentance and confession?
- ASK FATHER: Books on the history of the traditional Roman Rite
- YOUR URGENT PRAYER REQUESTS
- ASK FATHER: Ocular Communion
- 25 June – Traditional Latin Mass – In Time of Pandemic – LIVE VIDEO: 1200h CDT (GMT/UTC -5)
- Will Black Lives Matter now turn on Big Business Abortion?
Let us pray…
Grant unto thy Church, we beseech Thee, O merciful God, that She, being gathered together by the Holy Ghost, may be in no wise troubled by attack from her foes. O God, who by sin art offended and by penance pacified, mercifully regard the prayers of Thy people making supplication unto Thee,and turn away the scourges of Thine anger which we deserve for our sins. Almighty and Everlasting God, in whose Hand are the power and the government of every realm: look down upon and help the Christian people that the heathen nations who trust in the fierceness of their own might may be crushed by the power of thine Arm. Through our Lord Jesus Christ, Thy Son, who liveth and reigneth with Thee in the unity of the Holy Ghost, God, world without end. R. Amen.
Yes, Fr. Z is taking ads…
Because it matters what children read…
Be a “Zed-Head”!
I carry one of these super-strong rosaries in my spare mag pouch! The Swiss Guards have them too!
My "challenge coin" for my 25th anniversary of ordination in 2016.
Want one? I do exchanges with military and LEOs, etc. and you can make a donation.
PLEASE RESPOND. Pretty pleeeease?Loading ...
This is really useful when travelling… and also when you aren’t and you need backup internet NOW! I use this for my DMR “Zednet” hotspot when I’m mobile. It’s a ham radio thing.
If you travel internationally, this is a super useful gizmo for your mobile internet data. I use one. If you get one through my link, I get data rewards.
Please use my links when shopping! I depend on your help.
WDTPRS POLLLoading ...
“Rigid”? Pfffft. “Faithful!” No priest’s desk or kitchen is complete without one, for young, old, and priests in general.
Fr. Z’s stuff is everywhere
Help support Fr. Z’s Gospel of Life work at no cost to you. Do you need a Real Estate Agent? Calling these people is the FIRST thing you should do!
GREAT causes to support
Monthly Archives: July 2019
Do you have good news to share with the readers? Let us know. For my part, I admit to having been a little down lately. Today, I had, in rapid succession, three great consolations. My spirits are lifted. And, for … Continue reading
I have a radical idea. It keeps popping into my head. I think that means that I’m being prompted from upstairs to post it. PROPONITUR: Half a dozen retired military chaplains – who want to use the Vetus Ordo 95% of the … Continue reading
Congratulations, reverend and dear gentlemen and welcome to the priesthood. We older guys are all for you, except when we are against you. That’s going to happen, now and then. If you are straight and you are faithful, some guys … Continue reading
Today is the Feast of the founder of the Jesuits. May I say from the onset that I have some spiffy Pope Clement XIV gear? HERE Here is the Martyrologium Romanum entry for this great saint, Ignatius of Loyola. To … Continue reading
Remember “Pizza Rat“? He lives in the imaginations so many of us as an icon of determination. There is a new rodentine challenger for that soft spot in our hearts. A rat runs through a FOX45 Baltimore Reporter’s live shot … Continue reading
Meanwhile, what’s going on at the Fishwrap (aka National Sodomitic Reporter)? As I write, this is the featured piece over there. ‘Queer Eye’ shows how grace works When the U.S. bishops met this past June, Bishop Robert Barron, auxiliary of … Continue reading
This is pretty weird. But… well… not really. It’s Germany, after all. This in the Cathedral of Paderborn. Not sure when. Perhaps one of you readers will know. https://twitter.com/i/status/1156178218128461825 What a contrast to their patronal feast in 2017. HERE Gregorian … Continue reading
UPDATED – IMPORTANT – John Paul Institute 2.0 and the systematic purge of the last remaining “Wojtylians”
UPDATE 30 July 2019 Folks, this is a “big deal”. What’s being done to the John Paul II Institute is emblematic of what is happening – and is going to happen – in Rome and in the rest of the … Continue reading
Was there a good point made in the sermon during your Mass of Sunday obligation? Let us know. UPDATE 29 July Today I read a terrific piece at Crisis by Fr. George Rutler about Notre-Dame in Paris Do go there and … Continue reading
In a post about the Tour de France, early on, I mentioned that somewhere in storage I had a big corkscrew made by Campagnolo. I found it. And it’s the last day of the Tour. The Columbian, Egan Bernal has … Continue reading
Shall we look at the Collect for this Sunday’s Holy Mass in the Ordinary Form? COLLECT (2002MR): Protector in te sperantium, Deus, sine quo nihil est validum, nihil sanctum, multiplica super nos misericordiam tuam, ut, te rectore, te duce, sic bonis transeuntibus nunc utamur, ut … Continue reading
Have you been to the Holy Land yet? I haven’t. That’s going to be corrected in February 2020. For more information contact: HERE Some bullet points: -All meals included. -Daily TLM at the holy sites. -Ash Wednesday in Jerusalem. -Pre-dawn … Continue reading
Under another entry a commentator posted about new British PM Boris Johnson’s spontaneous recitation during a TV interview of the first 43 lines of the Iliad in Homeric Greek. I must say that I’m impressed. Waaaaay back when, when I was in … Continue reading
Those of you who read Latin could find some respite from the heat of the day by stepping with Fr. Hunwicke into the cool of the Ashmolean for a chat with the great Legislator, Pope Lambertini aka Benedict XIV, of … Continue reading
Remember the story some time ago about the beautiful Shrine of St. Anne in Fall River, MA, that was scheduled for closure? It looked grim for the magnificent church. A group of lay people got organized, worked something out with … Continue reading