Canonist Ed Peters has a good reminder about excommunication at his fine blog. HERE
- It isn’t as easy to get excommunicated as one might think.
- Excommunication, it isn’t easy as thinking that someone ought to be excommunicated.
- “You Keep Using That Word, I Do Not Think It Means What You Think It Means”
- People who are excommunicated are still members of the Church!
- People who are excommunicated are still obliged to fulfill their Sunday Mass obligation, but they cannot go to Communion.
- People who are excommunicated must have the censure lifted before they can receive any sacrament, including Penance (NB: danger of death is game changer).
- If you are excommunicated, really, do something about it.
- Not all priests have faculties to lift the censure imposed for all offenses/sins.
- Talk to someone!
Okay, that’s a little more than what Peters wrote. But check his post anyway!
BTW… he thinks that latae sententiae excommunication should be abolished. In This Present Crisis I am tempted to bring back vitandus!