Search Fr. Z’s Blog
SHOPPING ONLINE? Please, come here first!Your use of my Amazon affiliate link is a major part of my income. It helps to pay for insurance, groceries, everything. Please remember me when shopping online. Thanks in advance. Try AmazonFresh Free Trial
Up to 15% off New Products from AmazonBasics
Shop Amazon Gold Box - New Deals. Everyday
Shop Amazon Gift Cards - Instant Delivery or Free One-Day Shipping
Try Prime Discounted Monthly Offering
And you do need a Kindle! - HERE
Kindle Unlimited Membership Plans
About this blog…
“This blog is like a fusion of the Baroque ‘salon’ with its well-tuned harpsichord around which polite society gathered for entertainment and edification and, on the other hand, a Wild West “saloon” with its out-of-tune piano and swinging doors, where everyone has a gun and something to say. Nevertheless, we try to point our discussions back to what it is to be Catholic in this increasingly difficult age, to love God, and how to get to heaven.” – Fr. Z
Coat of Arms by D Burkart
CLICK and say your daily offerings!
Do you want to show some appreciation?
Do you have a faithful Catholic website that needs competent and reliable tech support?
Fr. Z’s VOICEMAIL
Nota bene: I do not answer these numbers or this Skype address. You won't get me "live". I check for messages regularly.
020 8133 4535
YOUR RECENT COMMENTS
Books which you must have.
Don’t rely on popes, bishops and priests.
“Who is going to save our Church? Not our bishops, not our priests and religious. It is up to you, the people. You have the minds, the eyes, and the ears to save the Church. Your mission is to see that your priests act like priests, your bishops act like bishops.”
- Fulton Sheen
Therefore, ACTIVATE YOUR CONFIRMATION and get to work!
Send Snail Mail to Fr. Z
“The modern habit of doing ceremonial things unceremoniously is no proof of humility; rather it proves the offender's inability to forget himself in the rite, and his readiness to spoil for every one else the proper pleasure of ritual.”
- C.S. Lewis
This blog has to earn its keep!
PLEASE subscribe if it is useful.
That way I have steady income I can plan on, and you wind up regularly on my list of benefactors for whom I pray and for whom I periodically say Holy Mass.
For a one time donation...
I set up a
CONTINUE TO GIVE
account, which functions rather like PayPal. Some of you use it. Here is a QCode you can use with your smart phones. Try it!
Also, to receive a link to donate via Continue To Give using your smart phone SEND MESSAGE:
4827563 TO: 715-803-4772 (USA)
Some donations also come through CHASE. That works well. I don't think they take any percentage as fees.
As for Latin…
"But if, in any layman who is indeed imbued with literature, ignorance of the Latin language, which we can truly call the 'catholic' language, indicates a certain sluggishness in his love toward the Church, how much more fitting it is that each and every cleric should be adequately practiced and skilled in that language!" - Pius XI
"Let us realize that this remark of Cicero (Brutus 37, 140) can be in a certain way referred to [young lay people]: 'It is not so much a matter of distinction to know Latin as it is disgraceful not to know it.'" - St. John Paul II
- ASK FATHER: Recent comments about same-sex unions… a “slap in the face” of those trying to leave homosexual lifestyle?
- Venezuelan dictator Maduro cites Francis to promote same-sex marriage legislation
- LIVE VIDEO – 24 Oct. 1200h CDT – NOON Traditional Latin Mass – St Raphael, Archangel
- #ASonnetADay – 71. “No longer mourn for me when I am dead…” (with bell… not cowbell)
- FAIL! @JamesMartinSJ claims you can’t dismiss false teaching on same-sex unions because Francis developed doctrine. Wherein Fr. Z Rants
- ASK FATHER: “What prayers or novena for a Trump victory?”
- LIVE VIDEO – 23 Oct. 1200h CDT – NOON Traditional Latin Mass – St Anthony Maria Claret (& Feast of the Holy Redeemer)
- #ASonnetADay – 70. “That thou art blamed shall not be thy defect…”
- LIVE VIDEO – 22 Oct. 1200h CDT – NOON Traditional Latin Mass – Sts Nunilo & Alodia – St. John Paul
- Fishwrap’s whining attack on Amy Coney Barrett
- 22 October: Sts. Nunilo and Alodia! Virgins and Martyrs
- #ASonnetADay – 69. “Those parts of thee that the world’s eye doth view…” (With advice!)
- For those who don’t believe that Francis said that there should be legal same-sex unions.
- They just need to keep doing what they’re doing!
- ASK FATHER: Prayers “for the gift of tears”
- Francis has openly called for civil unions for homosexuals. Wherein Fr. Z rants.
- LIVE VIDEO – 21 Oct. 1200h CDT – NOON Traditional Latin Mass – Votive Mass of St. Joseph
- #ASonnetADay – 68. “Thus is his cheek the map of days outworn…”
- LIVE VIDEO – 20 Oct. 1200h CDT – NOON Traditional Latin Mass – St John Cantius
- #ASonnetADay – 67. “Ah! wherefore with infection should you live…”
- PREVIEW: London Oratory Schola – Sacred Treasures of Christmas
- LIVE VIDEO – 19 Oct. 1200h CDT – NOON Traditional Latin Mass – St Peter Alcantara
- #ASonnetADay – 66. “Tired with all these, for restful death I cry…”
- LIVE VIDEO – Sunday 18 Oct. 1200h CDT – NOON Traditional Latin Mass – 20th Sunday after Pentecost
- #ASonnetADay – 65. “Since brass, nor stone, nor earth, nor boundless sea…”
- IRELAND: The longings and the lessons in the Mass Rocks
- VIDEO: “Come Hell Or High Water”
- LIVE VIDEO – SATURDAY 17 October 1200h CDT Traditional Latin Mass – St Margaret Mary Alacoque & Exorcism against Satan and Fallen Angels
- The 16th of the month, is a very lean day.
- #ASonnetADay – 64. “When I have seen by Time’s fell hand defaced…”
Let us pray…
Grant unto thy Church, we beseech Thee, O merciful God, that She, being gathered together by the Holy Ghost, may be in no wise troubled by attack from her foes. O God, who by sin art offended and by penance pacified, mercifully regard the prayers of Thy people making supplication unto Thee,and turn away the scourges of Thine anger which we deserve for our sins. Almighty and Everlasting God, in whose Hand are the power and the government of every realm: look down upon and help the Christian people that the heathen nations who trust in the fierceness of their own might may be crushed by the power of thine Arm. Through our Lord Jesus Christ, Thy Son, who liveth and reigneth with Thee in the unity of the Holy Ghost, God, world without end. R. Amen.
Yes, Fr. Z is taking ads…
Because it matters what children read…
Be a “Zed-Head”!
I carry one of these super-strong rosaries in my spare mag pouch! The Swiss Guards have them too!
My "challenge coin" for my 25th anniversary of ordination in 2016.
Want one? I do exchanges with military and LEOs, etc. and you can make a donation.
PLEASE RESPOND. Pretty pleeeease?Loading ...
This is really useful when travelling… and also when you aren’t and you need backup internet NOW! I use this for my DMR “Zednet” hotspot when I’m mobile. It’s a ham radio thing.
If you travel internationally, this is a super useful gizmo for your mobile internet data. I use one. If you get one through my link, I get data rewards.
Please use my links when shopping! I depend on your help.
WDTPRS POLLLoading ...
“Rigid”? Pfffft. “Faithful!” No priest’s desk or kitchen is complete without one, for young, old, and priests in general.
Fr. Z’s stuff is everywhere
Help support Fr. Z’s Gospel of Life work at no cost to you. Do you need a Real Estate Agent? Calling these people is the FIRST thing you should do!
GREAT causes to support
Daily Archives: 25 July 2011
Do any of you readers use the great DVR ReplayTV?
From a reader: Father..I’m making end of life arrangements. I am a cradle Catholic. We have a columbarium in our ____ and it all makes sense but…cremation freaks me out. Do you think Our Lord will be angry at me … Continue reading
Some recent posts of interest as they scroll along: A tot of coffee! QUAERITUR: New translation of Confiteor omitted from Mass today. We mustn’t take a vacation from prayer and God QUAERITUR: Wore a black chapel veil and women scoffed … Continue reading
The Canonical Defender, Prof. Ed Peters, has on his excellent blog In The Light Of The Law, an interesting post about marriage and presumption of death. I suspect that this issue could include also military combatants who are MIA. Thus, … Continue reading
Elsewhere I answered a question about the new, corrected ICEL version of the Confiteor. I said I would post something more about the Confiteor. Liberals will hate this new version, by the way. We have already seen that (here). Here … Continue reading
As you may know, a “tot” is not just a small child but also a small quantity of anything, especially of some beverage, and most especially of a beverage such as rum. Here is a photo sent by a reader. … Continue reading
From a reader: Dear Fr Z, I’ve just been to Mass, using the new translation for the first time. [hmmm] I was looking forward to the Confiteor, but our priest left it out. Was that because it was a weekday? … Continue reading
From ZENIT: Benedict XVI Offers Tips for Summer Holidays Father Lombardi Summarizes Pontiff’s Suggestions VATICAN CITY, JULY 24, 2011 (Zenit.org).- Benedict XVI is offering some tips on how to live one’s summer holiday, says a Vatican spokesman. On the most … Continue reading
From a reader: I wore my black mantilla (it blends in with my dark brown hair better) to an OF Mass this evening for the second time (no issues the first time), but after I arrived, a group of chatty … Continue reading
From RTÉ News comes this: Papal Nuncio recalled to Rome for Cloyne talks Updated: 14:27, Monday, 25 July 2011 The Vatican Press Office has confirmed the Holy See has recalled its ambassador to Ireland. The Vatican has confirmed that Papal … Continue reading
Today is the feast of St. James the Apostle. This is James, the son of Zebedee and brother of John. He and John were nicknamed “Boanerges“, “Sons of Thunder”. James is the only Apostle whose martyrdom is recorded in Scripture, … Continue reading
From the UK’s best Catholic weekly, The Catholic Herald comes this with my emphases and comments: The Globe’s flat Doctor Faustus shows belief in the Devil is fading Marlowe’s mighty drama about salvation is reduced to the level of a … Continue reading