Tonight I unwound a bit with something totally unlike everything else I did today: I watched some of the latest Star Trek movie.
It was a real re-imagining of the whole thing. Some people hated it. I thought it was a great time!
Some fun moments in the new Star Trek movie:
- The tiny sad nod by Lt. Kirk when his wife says that he should be there.
- The music when you see the little trial of shuttles escaping the scene of battle.
- The whole scene between Spock and his mother. It begins with him no where in sight.
- Uhura interested in this guy in the bar in spite of herself.
- Captain Pike asking, “R’you alright son?”
- The little toy ship.
- The angle of the shot on Spock’s face when they beam back from the planet, minus one person. He looks just like a little boy again.
- “I don’t know. But I like him!”
- The glimpse of the number on the side of the ship being built.
- “Out of the chair.
- Kirk hitting on the nurse even when incredibly ill.
- Gene Roddenbury style chick crew uniforms with ghasty 60′s original Star Trek hairdos.
- A planet imploding.
- “Kirk to Enterprise” for the first time.
- Spock has green bruises.
- The shape of the Romulan boot.
- Really cool ice-planet critters.
- “Damn it man, I’m a doctor, not a physicist!”
- “Not this time.”
- The tribble.
- “Ё моё!”
- Jumping without a chute (as Pike suggested in the bar).
- 20th century forklifts and florescent lights.
- Classic body language: Spock standing and straightening his uniform. McCoy’s hand thrust for emphasis. Sulu turning in his chair. Chekov slouching. Kirk’s head bobble as he enters the bridge.
- “Fencing”. And seeing the sword later.
- Lot’s of light flares through the lens.
- At the start everyone outranks Kirk.
- The musical motif when a Kirk takes over: walz.
- “Green-blooded hobgoblin!”
- “Preferably not.”
Just a few.